I think I'm out on McDermott

zow2

20 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Zay Jones is a #4/#5 type of receiver for half the teams in the NFL.

He's just a guy who can't stretch the field and can't get open against man coverage. 

There are probably 150 WRs around the NFL with his type of skill set, and none of them are difference makers. 

And JUJU was available without a trade up ?

22 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

The Bills have been exactly what everyone thought they would be going into the year.  If it crashes and burns next year then sure, you should lose faith.  But right now, this year, if you expected anything different then you just weren't paying attention before the start of the year. 

Bro, they were a ***** PLAYOFF team. You never dismantle a playoff team. It’s like they’re just reversing Whaley in spite. 

Leslie Frazier will be the next HC anyway. That was probably the plan all along. Pegula could’ve stipulated that he needed to hire someone with HC experience for this very reason. This team smells exactly like the Sabres under Tim Murray. None of them are still there and now a new regime has the sacrificial lamb’s team and look way better. McBeane won’t make it 6 games in next year unless they start 4-2...but I see them starting 1-5 at best before Frazier comes in and the players rally behind him because he doesn’t use God as his excuse and cuts Peterman because we all know Peterman will start next year since McD is a fool

22 hours ago, zow2 said:

Starting to lean towards the side of the fence that says they went 9-7 with a lot of the former regime's players.   Now that they've had a chance to mold and shape the team the way THEY want, it's a disaster on the O side of the ball.  That being said I give them a break due to the fact that two prominent O-linemen left the program.  I want to give McDermott a mulligan this season since he is the head coach that helped break the drought.  But all these blowout losses with zero offense....  I'm losing faith that he can get that side of the ball figured out.

I haven't seen them do anything on the offensive side to say either way that they can or can't do it.  The players they've drafted in the top 4 rounds defensively have looked pretty good and solid, no obvious busts there.  I have trouble believing that people can have the knowledge to draft correctly defensively, but not on the offensive side?  Once you get below the 4th round it's kind of a crap shoot however it works out, you hope for some successes there, but don't expect too much either.

The three players they did draft offensively Dawkins looks solid,  Jones has looked OK this year with no supporting cast around him, can't recall seeing too many bad drops like last year.  Allen is way too early to know either way in spite of what many here claim and even if he does bomb out, the number of 1st round QBs that fail is pretty large, welcome to the club.

People argue that you need an offensive mind to know how to draft that side, well then how does that guy know how to draft the other side?  Couple years back people here were clamoring for Adam Gaise, he isn't looking very good lately and he was this supposed offensive  guru from what I recall.

They ignored the offense which if you want to blame him there, can't argue much.  They wanted extra draft picks, for the most part the only players they could have moved and got any value back were on the offensive side so they let some there go, couple that with losing Woods and RI left them in worse shape.  The molding and shaping you mention was mostly dumping players and getting little back, but no effort to get return so can't say they can't do it either.  There's really very little evidence either way.

2019 is make or break for McBeane in my opinion. I am not shocked that 2018 is a lost season, my expectations for the season were 6-10, the fact that they are 2-7 is probably right about where I thought they would be honestly. They are probably in line for a 4-12 or 5-11 season (I think they split the Fish and Jets games while possibly scratching out another game) which isn't that much worse than I thought they would be. The offense being bad isn't shocking to me and given the resources invested in the offense (or lack thereof) it is somewhat understandable that the offense is the worst in the league (although being historically bad is rocking my confidence as I will explain below.)

However what is making 2019 an absolute make or break season for me is the complete bungling of the QB situation. I can forgive trading Tyrod since they got a fairly good pick for him. Signing AJ McCaron for the money they did was a smart move as out of the available QB's out there he wasn't a bad option and at his price he was a solid addition. But the complete idiocy surrounding the team going into the season with Peterman and Allen as the only QB's on the roster is astounding. How McD thought he was set at QB with a raw rookie and Peterman a second year player whose only positive has been looking good in pre-season games and whose biggest negative is his horrible regular season play at every stage of his career, is baffling. There is no excuse for trading AJ and not immediately moving to sign a decent backup veteran QB like Derek Anderson or Matt Moore. 

But given the dead cap situation and the needed trade up to acquire Allen I am willing to let 2019 be the "All In" year for McBeane. You have gutted a lot of your roster for cap space and assets and you have the big piece in Allen in place. There is no more excuses for not being able to find the last piece or two for the defense and infuse the offense with a lot of talent. 

The regime has been able to draft well and their free agency resume is so-so (although they have not had much space to sign players via free agency the past 2 off-seasons, I think if you total the amount of contracts that are over 3 million aav its about 5-7 contracts spanning 2 off-seasons.) If they can nail 4-5 free agency signings and have another good draft I think there will be a good shot at a turnaround. 

First, he looks too much like Ron Howard...aka Opie Taylor, aka Richie Cunningham.

Second, if you watch his body language on his weekly show, he slumps in his chair looking like a totally defeated, totally uninspired man.

i had such high hopes for McDermott, but it’s time to start the Mike Leach era.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Senator said:

First, he looks too much like Ron Howard...aka Opie Taylor, aka Richie Cunningham.

Second, if you watch his body language on his weekly show, he slumps in his chair looking like a totally defeated, totally uninspired man.

Haha I forgot about Mike Leach, I just looked up his record in his second college gig and after a rough start he has done a pretty good job with Washington State. I don't think he would make for a good NFL coach however, I think he would likely be a Chip Kelly kind of NFL coach. But I wouldn't mind seeing him be the next coach if nothing for innovation and taking a shot but I think it was you or some other big Mike Leach supporter that had me sold on him right around the time they made the Chan hiring. 

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Haha I forgot about Mike Leach, I just looked up his record in his second college gig and after a rough start he has done a pretty good job with Washington State. I don't think he would make for a good NFL coach however, I think he would likely be a Chip Kelly kind of NFL coach. But I wouldn't mind seeing him be the next coach if nothing for innovation and taking a shot but I think it was you or some other big Mike Leach supporter that had me sold on him right around the time they made the Chan hiring. 

Well, he’s been an offensive line coach, a qb coach, an offensive coordinator, and head coach.  (He’s really passionate about the o-line.)

Sounds like the kind of coach the Bills need.

Edited by The Senator

47 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Rinse, wash, repeat

Its the bills thing to do