IF THE BILLS WERE TO EVER LEAVE BUFFALO

Irv

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

They suck so bad nobody would want them 

?

Back in '95 when the Browns made their moving announcement, my wife, who at the time knew very little about football, asked, "Why would another city want the Browns?"

2 hours ago, The Drought said:

These are always popping up during the off season, it's hardly an original idea. But when they show up at the midway point of the regular season, you know your team sucks.

It's stupid but you just have to let it die its usual death.

You should power slam yourself through a burning table. You will feel better.  

Edited by Irv

I am already fading on the NFL, "it has gone from Sunday is football day and i something interrupts it, it had better be an emergency" to "Lets see what is happening in the Bills game, oh no 14-0, its a nice fall day, lets go outside".    If the Bills ever left, I am certain that i would stick to college football, and as far as NFL only watch the playoffs and super bowl as part of a get together where the primary goal was catching up with everyone, but the game was in the background,  

Pretty easy choice for me. It would have to be:

1). an NFC team

2). a smallish city with a culture similar to Buffalo's

3). a cold-weather/non-dome team (football was meant to be played outdoors, sissies)

4). a team that doesn't torture its fans year in and year out (If I'm going to marry again, it'll be for the MONEY!)

I already root for the Packers when they're not playing the Bills.

11 hours ago, Irv said:

If the Bills were to ever leave Buffalo and become say, the St Louis Bills.  Would you still be a Bills fan or would you pick another team and who would that be?  I'm not entirely sure but I think I would become a Steelers fan or maybe just stop watching NFL completely.

I really like McDermott so if he went then I would but not if he wasnt.

I would use the freedom to pick the team that played the way I like ,which is becoming increasingly more difficult do to the Nancy - fication of the NFL.

I might just pick a team with a player that I like. I rooted for Tampa the whole time Alstott was there, still miss him running the ball, there hasn't been anybody like him since.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't get the "I would never watch the NFL again" people. If you are so ambivalent towards football in the first place then why watch even now? I would still watch. I doubt I would have the same fandom as I do for the Bills, but there are already several teams I have soft spots for because of players or coaches I like so I imagine I'd watch their games more and then probably adopt whichever team ends up as the London team eventually. It isn't happening though. I feel like the Pegula family are in for the long haul. 

My interest is a lot less in football now, when I see the upcoming slate of games you couldn’t pay me to watch more than 2 or 3 each week

The bills are always watched and all playoff games are watched

I can tell you from a well connected source (not dunkirk don lol) that UB has been frustrated with the Bills because they take so much attention from their team and had the team moved the amount of money that would've been pumped in to push UB as the football team of WNY would've been ginormous. Obviously they are still trying hard and once the Pegula's bought the team it became a mute point for UB to think super big, but it is an interesting other universe question of how UB's football team which is dominating currently would be received and how it would've been promoted.

10 hours ago, row_33 said:

My interest is a lot less in football now, when I see the upcoming slate of games you couldn’t pay me to watch more than 2 or 3 each week

The bills are always watched and all playoff games are watched

me too.  the chances of spending hours every sunday watching another team is probably none for me, playoffs excluded.

16 minutes ago, teef said:

me too.  the chances of spending hours every sunday watching another team is probably none for me, playoffs excluded.

the NFL has a hold on fans watching playoffs without their team, the numbers are minimal for watching the World Series unless your team or the Yankees is involved.

HOW MANY OF YOU BILLS FANS DO NOT WATCH NFL PLAYOFF GAMES?  you haven't watched a Super Bowl since the Bills were in one?

17 hours ago, Irv said:

You should power slam yourself through a burning table. You will feel better.  

That's what I do before every post, if I don't feel better afterwards, I still post it.

If the Bills left town, will it still be acceptable to power slam myself through a burning table. To lose your team and this therapeutic relief might just prove to be too much.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/30/2018 at 12:25 PM, Irv said:

If the Bills were to ever leave Buffalo and become say, the St Louis Bills.  Would you still be a Bills fan or would you pick another team and who would that be?  I'm not entirely sure but I think I would become a Steelers fan or maybe just stop watching NFL completely.

It would be like when the Braves left.  I tried to root for them, but it was not the same.  If the Bills left town, I have no idea if I would pick a new team.  I may just watch the best match ups each week.  That would be a sad day. 

Since I'm half convinced it's my bad luck that drags the Bills down, I'd move on to becoming a Patriots fan to ensure they never win another Super Bowl, or even a playoff game, ever again.

5 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

It would be like when the Braves left.  I tried to root for them, but it was not the same.  If the Bills left town, I have no idea if I would pick a new team.  I may just watch the best match ups each week.  That would be a sad day. 

Still so hard to imagine Buffalo having 3 major pro sports teams, especially an NBA team.

Did the city just not care about NBA at the time? Even though the city is much smaller now, there's no way I could see the current population not being supportive of a team if they still had one.

Edited by BigDingus

28 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Since I'm half convinced it's my bad luck that drags the Bills down, I'd move on to becoming a Patriots fan to ensure they never win another Super Bowl, or even a playoff game, ever again.

Still so hard to imagine Buffalo having 3 major pro sports teams, especially an NBA team.

Did the city just not care about NBA at the time? Even though the city is much smaller now, there's no way I could see the current population not being supportive of a team if they still had one.

Attendance was great.  The city supported the team.   The owner, Paul Snyder sold the team to fund the construction of Snyder 's Darien Lake.  It was unbelievable.

Back when the Braves were here you could get tickets right behind the bench at an affordable price.  I was crushed when they left.

Edited by longtimebillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Attendance was great.  The city supported the team.   The owner, Paul Snyder sold the team to fund the construction of Snyder 's Darien Lake.  It was unbelievable.

Back when the Braves were here you could get tickets right behind the bench at an affordable price.  I was crushed when they left.

That sounds great, really would love to have experienced the atmosphere of an NBA game in Buffalo. I imagine a team there now would have a similar level of support that fans of the Spurs or Jazz give their respective teams. 

I thought the owner of the Braves traded teams with the Celtics owner, then moved the team to San Diego/LA? At least that's what I remember reading from Wikipedia. Never heard of Darien Lake though, but after googling it, surprised to see it's still around!

Edit: Nvm, just read up a bit on it. Can't believe that even though the team was profitable, maintaining the league average in ticket sales & attendance, and getting good ratings on TV, outside politics pretty much forced the team to leave. Of course, other expansion teams that came around during that time still hung around, but Buffalo got the crap end of the stick

Edited by BigDingus

10 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

That sounds great, really would love to have experienced the atmosphere of an NBA game in Buffalo. I imagine a team there now would have a similar level of support that fans of the Spurs or Jazz give their respective teams. 

I thought the owner of the Braves traded teams with the Celtics owner, then moved the team to San Diego/LA? At least that's what I remember reading from Wikipedia. Never heard of Darien Lake though, but after googling it, surprised to see it's still around!

Snyder sold the team to John Y. Brown and used the funds to build Darien Lake.  Brown swapped franchises with the Celtics owner Irv Levin.   Then Levin moved the team to San Diego and they became the Clippers.  Then from there they moved to their current home in LA.

1 minute ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Snyder sold the team to John Y. Brown and used the funds to build Darien Lake.  Brown swapped franchises with the Celtics owner Irv Levin.   Then Levin moved the team to San Diego and they became the Clippers.  Then from there they moved to their current home in LA.

Haha I was just editing my comment as you responded. Yeah, I just read up on it again and realized that.

It's really some BS the way they were pretty much bullied to leave Buffalo even though the team was doing well financially.

7 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Haha I was just editing my comment as you responded. Yeah, I just read up on it again and realized that.

It's really some BS the way they were pretty much bullied to leave Buffalo even though the team was doing well financially.

Yes it was.   It could be worse though.  San Diego lost the clippers and the Chargers. 

5 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

The Braves left Milwaukee in 1966.  Never been much of a baseball fan.  

Edited by Irv

On 10/30/2018 at 3:27 PM, Irv said:

I enjoy abuse.  This whole stadium deal is still messed up.  Both gubentorial candidates said they would not help fund a new stadium.  Looking to the future.

That's about the only thing I like about both of the candidates.

6 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Wow. I can't believe you have never heard of Darien Lake. I am guessing you're not from the Buffalo area. 

7 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Nothing cooler than powder blue and orange uniforms.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Nothing cooler than powder blue and orange uniforms.

I Remember them as black and orange.  I could be wrong.  They had a really fun roster, Gar Heard, Jack Marin ( the mad bomber (before the 3 point shot), Randy Smith, Bob McaDoo, Jim McMillan, Ernie DeGregorio ( Ernie no D), and even Bobby Weiser from the Chicago Bulls.

This Brings back memories.   At one time Buffalo had Chuck Knox  (Bills), Jack Ramsey (Braves), and and Scotty Bowman as head coaches at the same time.  

Just now, longtimebillsfan said:

I Remember them as black and orange.  I could be wrong.  They had a really fun roster, Gar Heard, Jack Marin ( the mad bomber (before the 3 point shot), Randy Smith, Bob McaDoo, Jim McMillan, Ernie DeGregorio ( Ernie no D), and even Bobby Weiser from the Chicago Bulls.

This Brings back memories.   At one time Buffalo had Chuck Knox  (Bills), Jack Ramsey (Braves), and and Scotty Bowman as head coaches at the same time.  

I guess they had two color schemes. Black and orange and Columbia blue and orange. (Just googled it.) Totally agree about the roster. Jack Ramsey was always articulate and erudite and wore incredibly loud pants. Those were indeed fun times.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I guess they had two color schemes. Black and orange and Columbia blue and orange. (Just googled it.) Totally agree about the roster. Jack Ramsey was always articulate and erudite and wore incredibly loud pants. Those were indeed fun times.

YES.  I forgot about the wild pants.  It was the 70's though.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

13 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

They did wear multiple colors over the years. My brother and I loved those teams when we were kids. We'd huddle around the radio and listen to Van Miller call the games..."That's two...for McAdoo!!" Buff State's own Randy Smith was my favorite player and he owned the NBA's 'Ironman' streak for quite some time. My brother and I were crushed when they left Buffalo and I still don't care about the NBA to this day. Love college ball but the NBA is a lousy product, IMO. I remember being ecstatic when the Braves acquired Moses Malone and then pissed when they traded him to the Rockets. I think he was with Buffalo for all of about two weeks and played in maybe one pre-season game is all. They had the potential for some great teams and had some very exciting players including Bob McAdoo and Adrian Dantley. 

A few random tidbits: 1) My dad took my brother, sister , & me to a Braves game at 'The Aud' on a snowy, winter night in the '70s. There was hardly anybody there and the ushers let us move down from the nosebleeds into the golds. They were playing the Seattle Supersonics and I remember the bald-headed Slick Watts of the Sonics for the green headband he wore. I can still see it like it was yesterday. I still have the NBA 'Hoops' magazine from that game. The cover had Robert Parrish who at that time was still with Golden State. 2) A friend I went to high school with here in Virginia is cousins with Ernie DiGregorio. He looks just like Ernie D in Ernie's playing days except that my friend has a mustache. The resemblance is uncanny. 3) When Floyd Smith was HC of the Sabres in the mid '70s, I was friends with his son. We went to school together in Grand Island. Ah, youth. Good times and good memories of those teams and those days.

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

They did wear multiple colors over the years. My brother and I loved those teams when we were kids. We'd huddle around the radio and listen to Van Miller call the games..."That's two...for McAdoo!!" Buff State's own Randy Smith was my favorite player and he owned the NBA's 'Ironman' streak for quite some time. My brother and I were crushed when they left Buffalo and I still don't care about the NBA to this day. Love college ball but the NBA is a lousy product, IMO. I remember being ecstatic when the Braves acquired Moses Malone and then pissed when they traded him to the Rockets. I think he was with Buffalo for all of about two weeks and played in maybe one pre-season game is all. They had the potential for some great teams and had some very exciting players including Bob McAdoo and Adrian Dantley. 

A few random tidbits: 1) My dad took my brother, sister , & me to a Braves game at 'The Aud' on a snowy, winter night in the '70s. There was hardly anybody there and the ushers let us move down from the nosebleeds into the golds. They were playing the Seattle Supersonics and I remember the bald-headed Slick Watts of the Sonics for the green headband he wore. I can still see it like it was yesterday. I still have the NBA 'Hoops' magazine from that game. The cover had Robert Parrish who at that time was still with Golden State. 2) A friend I went to high school with here in Virginia is cousins with Ernie DiGregorio. He looks just like Ernie D in Ernie's playing days except that my friend has a mustache. The resemblance is uncanny. 3) When Floyd Smith was HC of the Sabres in the mid '70s, I was friends with his son. We went to school together in Grand Island. Ah, youth. Good times and good memories of those teams and those days.

Excellent post. Randy Smith was a master of the steal. He was my favorite player as well.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Sports in our you was magical.  Those were good times.