GIANTS/FALCONS Official MNF Thread

stuvian

Just now, GETTOTHE50 said:

Falcons are running a nice offense tonight. 

Have we seen the bills run a toss run play all year? I feel like that really helps with everyone’s momentum 

With our offense, you know full well that’s an automatic 5-6 yard loss. 

49 minutes ago, DRA3196 said:

Worst part of MNF has to be the announcing crew, I would sooner listen to the commentary on Madden.

What happened to Sean McDonough?  He was great!  Smart, funny, honest...my favorite play by play guy in a while.

• Like (+1) 1

Witten says things like "Touchdowns are important." Very insightful. I turned to the Spanish version. At least I don't understand their nonsense.

30 minutes ago, ChattanoogaBills said:

Well looks like my teaser is trash since i took nyg +10 and over 46...  I definitely expected more scoring this game

Maybe you reverse jinxed it. Got the over at least. 

Edit: Screwed up the math and I'm not even drinking. Sorry bro.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Witten says things like "Touchdowns are important." Very insightful. I turned to the Spanish version. At least I don't understand their nonsense.

I find it ridiculous that the worst two announcing crews are the two primetime crews. Witten and Colinsworth are horrendous announcers. 

Edit: why do you go for 2 points there ?. Taking a play from Vrabel’s playbook. 

Edited by Bills2ref

1 minute ago, Bills2ref said:

I find it ridiculous that the worst two announcing crews are the two primetime crews. Witten and Colinsworth are horrendous announcers. 

Collinsworth is annoying but at least he's not clueless. I get that he bothers people, but I don't think anyone could be as bad as Witten.

• Like (+1) 1

• SDS unpinned this topic

I kinda get what Eli was thinking with the QB sneak. Don't really have to waste any time telling people what to do and QB sneaks work like 90% of the time. Just so happens Eli apparently occupies the 10% by himself.

They took so painfully long to run it though.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Yup, poorly coached bad game between two bottom teams in a half empty stadium. Nice job NFL.

They really nailed it with next weeks MNF game. What are they supposed to do? Both big markets, Atlanta should be better. What do you expect? They schedule these games in April or whatever

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Collinsworth is annoying but at least he's not clueless. I get that he bothers people, but I don't think anyone could be as bad as Witten.

I'm a  closet Collinsworth fan and I'm officially coming out.  Screw all the haters.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm a  closet Collinsworth fan and I'm officially coming out.  Screw all the haters.

He's insightful and really does his homework. I'm not one that typically hates on the announcing crew, but this setup is brutal. Worse MNF crew since Dennis MIller?

Let's talk about that 2-pt conversion. Let's say he kicks the XP and is now down by 7. They get the ball back and score a TD with almost no time on the clock and are now down by 1. If he goes for a 2-pt conversion there (essentially the win -- or a loss) Shurmur is considered "bold" and is likely praised for having a brass set. 

Well, he basically did the same thing, he just gave himself some more wiggle room in case the conversion failed.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Roger Goodell said:

Thank you for joining us for another thrilling edition of Monday Night Football.   We'll see you next week from Buffalo for an exciting match up featuring the Patriots and the Bills.

i will need to medicate my way through that one

Here is the logic regarding going for 2 at that stage in the game....yes, it was the right move!

If you go for two there and get it you are basically setting yourself up to win the game in regulation if you stop them and score another touchdown with PAT.  A tough task, sure, but achievable for sure.  This increases your odds of winning dramatically over going for 1 twice and then having a 50/50 split chance (basically) of winning in OT.

If you go for it and miss it at that point in the game, you still have the opportunity to score another touchdown and tie the game up with a successful 2 Point conversion, forcing overtime. 

If you don't go for it down 8 and decide to, instead, go for it at the end of the game down 1 point, well, then you only have one shot to get it and you lose the safety net of being able to go for it twice in case you miss it once since you already kicked the PAT on the previous score. 

Assuming a 50% success rate (Shumer probably felt his was better actually) on two point conversions and a 50% chance to win in overtime here is the math if they were able to score 2 TDs and stop the Falcons from scoring again.

Going for 2 down 8 - 50% chance to hit and win PLUS the 50% chance to get it on attempt #2 where you would then have an additional 50% chance to win in OT.

This equates to 50% + (50% chance to miss first one x 50% chance to make second one x 50% chance to win in OT = 12.5%) - so the chances of winning are now 62.5% in this case.

Kicking PATs and going to OT - 50% chance to win (which also assumes a 100% success rate on PATs which we know are not true).

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Shurmer is un-good at math

11 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

He’s not the best at the whole numbers and counting. Like 7 vs 8. 

11 hours ago, SCBills said:

Omg... the Giants make us look competent. 

11 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Jesus Shurmur you are an idiot

This. X10

See above fellas, it was definitely the mathematically correct call to make.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Yeah. Colinsworth isn't bad. Between he and Michaels, it kind of "feels" important.

I think people don't like Collinsworth fawning over certain players, but when you compare him to some of these idiots, he's actually solid.

2 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Here is the logic regarding going for 2 at that stage in the game....yes, it was the right move!

If you go for two there and get it you are basically setting yourself up to win the game in regulation if you stop them and score another touchdown with PAT.  A tough task, sure, but achievable for sure.  This increases your odds of winning dramatically over going for 1 twice and then having a 50/50 split chance (basically) of winning in OT.

If you go for it and miss it at that point in the game, you still have the opportunity to score another touchdown and tie the game up with a successful 2 Point conversion, forcing overtime. 

If you don't go for it down 8 and decide to, instead, go for it at the end of the game down 1 point, well, then you only have one shot to get it and you lose the safety net of being able to go for it twice in case you miss it once since you already kicked the PAT on the previous score. 

Assuming a 50% success rate (Shumer probably felt his was better actually) on two point conversions and a 50% chance to win in overtime here is the math if they were able to score 2 TDs and stop the Falcons from scoring again.

Going for 2 down 8 - 50% chance to hit and win PLUS the 50% chance to get it on attempt #2 where you would then have an additional 50% chance to win in OT.

This equates to 50% + (50% chance to miss first one x 50% chance to make second one x 50% chance to win in OT = 12.5%) - so the chances of winning are now 62.5% in this case.

Kicking PATs and going to OT - 50% chance to win (which also assumes a 100% success rate on PATs which we know are not true).

I don't see the difference between going for 2 down 8 and going for 2 down 1. 

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't see the difference between going for 2 down 8 and going for 2 down 1. 

The difference is that you have no recourse if you are not successful getting it down 1.  You just lose the game.  If you go for it down 8 and are not successful, then you have another opportunity to try again after the next score to tie it up and send it into overtime.

First example:  Team is down 24-23, miss the 2 point attempt at end of game, game is over.

Second example:  Team is down 24-16, they go for 2 and are not successful.  They score again and are now down 24-22 and can now try another 2-pt conversion to tie it up.

23 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

The difference is that you have no recourse if you are not successful getting it down 1.  You just lose the game.  If you go for it down 8 and are not successful, then you have another opportunity to try again after the next score to tie it up and send it into overtime.

First example:  Team is down 24-23, miss the 2 point attempt at end of game, game is over.

Second example:  Team is down 24-16, they go for 2 and are not successful.  They score again and are now down 24-22 and can now try another 2-pt conversion to tie it up.

The math is the same in my mind. You still need to complete a 2 pt conversion to win the game outright. If it's a 50% conversion rate when you're down 8 it's still a 50% conversion rate when you're down by 1. There's no added benefit to be gained from when you decide to go for the win. 

Besides, you HAVE increased your odds of winning in OT (and thus the game overall, obviously) by kicking the PAT down 8 because you retain the option of playing for overtime with another PAT if you so choose. That's a smaller % because it's W=%PAT*%OT(WIN) but it's not insignificant. You don't have 'no recourse', you still have the option of taking the higher % PAT instead of trying to win outright by 2pt conversion.

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Yeah. Colinsworth isn't bad. Between he and Michaels, it kind of "feels" important.

I think people don't like Collinsworth fawning over certain players, but when you compare him to some of these idiots, he's actually solid.

He was better ten years ago than he is now as far as fawning over players go, but he's still better than most.

• Like (+1) 1