We finally have a great chance at the #1 overall pick

LFC24

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't agree. The aim of the draft is not the fill holes. It is to acquire talent.... and ideally elite talent. You do not turn down an elite pass rusher to try and secure enough picks to fill all your holes. If it takes 2 drafts it takes 2 drafts..... if they are in position to take Bosa or Oliver they should do it.

It might be better to say would you pass on Bruce Smith in 1985 to further show the lunacy of this train of thought...

26 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

It might be better to say would you pass on Bruce Smith in 1985 to further show the lunacy of this train of thought...

Indeed. Team had a lot of holes was a 2-14 team (I think.... I was 1) and was a few years away from competing. If they had taken the "use the draft to fill holes approach" then they would never have benefitted from that elite level play that Bruce brought to the team for years to come.

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Is this real life?

The Bills were never in tank mode.  

Maybe the Raiders but Jon Gruden shot that "leaked" story down 

I should clarify I don't think the Bills will get the #1 pick.  Just that if they do they should pick one of the elite DL rather than trading down to fill holes.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I should clarify I don't think the Bills will get the #1 pick.  Just that if they do they should pick one of the elite DL rather than trading down to fill holes.

I wasn't responding to your post  Gunner  but the  OP.   

Elite D works, but the Offense needs so much help   

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Too bad there is no Saquan Barkley prospect this year. I think Josh could benefit the most from a good run attack.

Most elite run attacks start and end with the OLine fwiw - though I agree, a Shady replacement for the future would be nice. Not sure it's worth a first round pick though. Looks like the new breakout RBs can be had for a 2nd/3rd/4th

13 hours ago, LFC24 said:

With Allen out for at least 3-5 weeks we can finally start thinking about the #1 overall pick. I have no doubt we will be picking top 3. Our offense struggles to put up over 10 points a game and our defense is decent (not top 5 or even top 10 like everyone thinks). We have played 2 bad offenses in a row, every other good QB we have faced this season our defense got ripped apart. 

So what do we do? Trade back or take the top guy available? I doubt anyone has the draft capital to trade up for #1, especially for a defensive end. This is prob one of the worst drafts to own the #1 overall pick. There is no generational type player available, and no top QB's that other teams want to trade out of the pick. We will most likely draft one of the two top DE's. 

QB Justin Herbert looks like there may be a bunch of teams looking for his services if he keeps going imo. But as of now it looks like a few WR are in the top 10 , A.J. Brown of Ole Miss and N'Keal Harry of Arizona State look like they can be the #1 WR here.

4 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

We won 2 games with Allen. Allen was the worst QB in all of football. No reason why we can't win another two games this year which would likely put us outside the top 5. 

Right. 

Whether or not you think Allen is the answer long term, he's played terribly.

There's really no reason to think Derek Anderson will be worse. As a matter of fact, I expect he'll be better. 

McDermott finds ways to win despite horrendous QB play. I see us winning 5 or 6 games.

You know the team is going to somehow scratch out 3-4 more wins to win 5-6 games and get a pick outside the top 5. The defense is too good and the organization always seems to have a knack of winning 2 meaningless games on the backend of a season to ***** up draft positioning. 

I don’t have as much confidence regarding Anderson as some do. Right now we are trending for a pick in the top 5. IMO, draft stud OT with your 1st pick, acquire OG in free agency. Draft WR or TE in the 2nd, sign another FA WR, draft in 3rd or 4th round OLB or CB or sign in FA. Resign Anderson as experienced QB, resign Phillip Gaines as DT. Keep Shady and sign some another RB as depth. IMO, DL is not a critical need based upon who we have and the results we are seeing.

I also wonder what signing drama will come with Bosa?