Peter King with Murph & Tasker Today: Bills' QB Situation is Lunacy

Fadingpain

9 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I personally would have tried for Bridgewater. But that's just me. I wanted them to try and get him basically to start while JA sat, but they went another direction so as always it is what it is.

Someone else brought him up, and back in March when he hit free agency they could have done that.  Recall at the time most teams were really scared about his knee.  But in retrospect that would have been a good move.  Once he signed with the Jets, I don't think there was any way they were making an in division trade.

Just now, twoandfourteen said:

Unfortunately, I think you're right. 

It's the only explanation I can come up with at this point. 

I couldn't care less about the religious beliefs of players or coaches, but I do think it's a factor in this situation. 

Honestly if you weigh religious affiliation as a talent then you shouldn’t be coaching. I never fully accepted McD because his first words as HC were how he’s a man of family and faith. Ok, cool...but it has NOTHING to do with football or winning. I could care less if he was a Satan worshiper, all I care about is if he’s really going to get talent or just raid his old team for pieces they don’t want so he can fill the locker room with players loyal to him. 

Just another Jauron. Good DC, shouldn’t run a team. Also, Jauron also comes from the Mike Holmgren/Andy Reid coaching tree. There must be a pattern where you never go for his DCs only the OCs. 

Just now, Gigs said:

Honestly if you weigh religious affiliation as a talent then you shouldn’t be coaching. I never fully accepted McD because his first words as HC were how he’s a man of family and faith. Ok, cool...but it has NOTHING to do with football or winning. I could care less if he was a Satan worshiper, all I care about is if he’s really going to get talent or just raid his old team for pieces they don’t want so he can fill the locker room with players loyal to him. 

Just another Jauron. Good DC, shouldn’t run a team. Also, Jauron also comes from the Mike Holmgren/Andy Reid coaching tree. There must be a pattern where you never go for his DCs only the OCs. 

I think your take on the religion thing is absolute nonsense.  And I'm a religious guy myself.

McDermott wants guys who are serious about football. 

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Someone else brought him up, and back in March when he hit free agency they could have done that.  Recall at the time most teams were really scared about his knee.  But in retrospect that would have been a good move.  Once he signed with the Jets, I don't think there was any way they were making an in division trade.

Yeah I agree. I was hoping they would nab him before he went to the Jets because IMO I was thinking maybe they could get him at a decent price (with the knee issue in mind). I just thought it would have been a better scenario, but with the Oline problems he very well likely would have gotten hurt again.

So there's really no way of knowing for sure, I thought between he and Matt Moore, they were about the best FA at the time you could hope to bring in.

9 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Actually, Tasker said that they tried to sign Anderson and ended up with McCarron (after Anderson turned them down). So yes, they did try to sign him before the draft. 

They tried to sign Josh McCown too (peter king was actually the one to first report it), but he chose the Jets. 

Well should have upped their offer. 

Just now, Patrick_Duffy said:

Yeah I agree. I was hoping they would nab him before he went to the Jets because IMO I was thinking maybe they could get him at a decent price (with the knee issue in mind). I just thought it would have been a better scenario, but with the Oline problems he very well likely would have gotten hurt again.

So there's really no way of knowing for sure, I thought between he and Matt Moore, they were about the best FA at the time you could hope to bring in.

From what I've read Moore just isn't interested in playing anymore.

I have said before they can be justifiably criticized for not getting a vet in way earlier, if nothing else but to mentor two young QBs.  But ultimately this comes down to two things:

1.  Peterman throwing up in regular season games vs. how he looks in practice and pre-season

2.  When your starting QB goes down in the NFL, you're many more times than not hosed.

I would hope they start Anderson Sunday and for however many games till Allen is back.  With our D and run game a guy like Anderson may be able to steal a few games.  The only other thing would be to bring a guy like Landry Jones on, but they did have him in for a look and apparently he didn't impress.

46 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Bobby - How can you say this with with a straight face, after coming on the board last fall and spamming TBD with TT hate? Hmmm?  

So being critical is spamming. And yes In Hindsight with the way this position group was handled after the trade yep I can say that

I've defended McD and Beane since they arrived in Buffalo, and for the most part I've been a fan of what they've done because I think I can see their vision for the future. 

All of that said, I cannot defend their decision to NOT have a Vet QB on the roster to start the season. When they traded AJ I was a bit shocked but I did understand their desire to continue to build Draft assets as they completely redesign the roster. However, when they *didn't* go get another Vet QB, that puzzled me. I'm not going to type away and say I saw all of this coming, but I think any average fan could say they saw something similar occurring in terms of needing a Vet presence with Allen and to be the stop-gap in the event of an injury. 

I wasn't a Bridgewater guy b/c I didn't want all the controversy between starting him or Allen or how the succession plan would occur. But, I can also see how that would have worked out much better than what the Bills have right now. IMHO, it is better just to admit the mistake and make a play for a decent QB that can be the long-term back-up / spot starter. Anderson is fine for this year, but that doesn't answer the long-term (i.e. next 3 years) back-up issue.

So, I know I'm going to get lit up for this for so many reasons, but let me make a suggestion:

Trade for Andrew Luck: 

He signed a 5 year contract 3 years ago, with minimal dead money if you needed to cut him in 2020. He becomes the Vet to school Allen, he keeps playing at least the next two to three years and now that we can see he's healthy, there's minimal risk. Bills will have the money to do it without question, Indy is on the fast-track to compete for the 1st overall pick and they can pick their QB, while the Bills get out of this QB purgatory and still have Allen waiting to ascend the position in two or three years. Luck is 29, so he's not at that 33 / 34 year old juncture yet, so your financial commitment to him would be limited.

Indy wants picks, the Bills have them and they can trade a player or two if they'd like. Additionally, Luck comes to Buffalo, with a great deal of FA money, the Bills can get the players they need on Offense to surround Luck to be successful, including an improved Offensive line. Defensively the Bills are already good and young. 

Of course I don't know how much it would take, but right now, given his tenuous status in Indy before the season with Irsay, and how the team has just not looked good, I think it's worth the call to find out what it would take. I know it would be a lot, but as I presented above, the Bills might be in a truly unique position to be able to leverage Draft picks and a player or two to get it done and with substantial Cap money, nothing is impossible. Flame away....

I still like the trade of Tyrod and McCarron.  Peterman is on the team because he knows the offense, is a very cheap backup, and is smart.  He just doesn't have the arm to execute all of the throws that he needs to make.  That said, he can still help Josh Allen learn and fill in when needed until his cheap rookie contract is up.

9 minutes ago, BillsInWilmingtonNC said:

I still like the trade of Tyrod and McCarron.  Peterman is on the team because he knows the offense, is a very cheap backup, and is smart.  He just doesn't have the arm to execute all of the throws that he needs to make.  That said, he can still help Josh Allen learn and fill in when needed until his cheap rookie contract is up.

He is a terrible QB.....how can he help Allen learn? He's only been in the league 1 year...we saw how he can fill in....he is not good

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, nucci said:

He is a terrible QB.....how can he help Allen learn? He's only been in the league 1 year...we saw how he can fill in....he is not good

It is quite ignorant to say that someone who is not a good QB themselves (Due to physical limitations IMO) cannot teach someone else anything about being a good QB.  How was Jordan Palmer as an NFL Quarterback?  Only started something like 5 games, but is now highly regarded by many people for his work with young QBs.  Now I am not saying Peterman is Jordan Palmer, but surely Peterman has some knowledge that Allen could benefit from.  Peterman is touted as being very smart, can throw with anticipation which shows he knows the playbook and knows where receivers will be, just simply does not have the arm to get it there consistently.

And yes we have seen how Peterman can fill in, he came in and threw a TD and gave us the lead, and 9 times out of 10 I would say our defense shuts them down and we win that game.  I do not want Peterman as our QB1.....  All I am saying is that I understand why he is here at this very moment.

26 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I think your take on the religion thing is absolute nonsense.  And I'm a religious guy myself.

McDermott wants guys who are serious about football. 

If you don’t like it go read your bible. Zealots are not winners. Brady doesn’t preach about god and he has 5 rings. Tebow praises the lord and now he’s a scrub AAA baseball player lmao. Peterman is also another guy who hypes up to Carrie Underwood. Sorry old bro, but god does NOT cut it in a man’s game that has more to do with mentality than physicality. There’s absolutely no room for god and jesus. 

Religion has no place in a sport of man. Neither does politics and I will bet you’re one of those faux patriots who got butthurt over the flag when you also never served (I did, 68W-M6.) Again, go back to your bible and Fox News and let the real men play it out. 

4 minutes ago, BillsInWilmingtonNC said:

It is quite ignorant to say that someone who is not a good QB themselves (Due to physical limitations IMO) cannot teach someone else anything about being a good QB.  How was Jordan Palmer as an NFL Quarterback?  Only started something like 5 games, but is now highly regarded by many people for his work with young QBs.  Now I am not saying Peterman is Jordan Palmer, but surely Peterman has some knowledge that Allen could benefit from.  Peterman is touted as being very smart, can throw with anticipation which shows he knows the playbook and knows where receivers will be, just simply does not have the arm to get it there consistently.

And yes we have seen how Peterman can fill in, he came in and threw a TD and gave us the lead, and 9 times out of 10 I would say our defense shuts them down and we win that game.  I do not want Peterman as our QB1.....  All I am saying is that I understand why he is here at this very moment.

Don't tell me I'm ignorant....I know what I'm talking about. Peterman is not being touted in any of these ways by anyone

Edited by nucci

The answer was simple. After Peterman ***** the bed in game #1, they needed to bring someone in. These idiots kept churning the bottom of the roster for everything but a proven vet. Anderson would be well up to speed now and he wouldn't have lost the Houston game. Even the garbage choices like Lynch and Jones are better than Peterman. We could bring Jim Kelly back and have better results than Nate.  The blind loyalty to him is sick.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gigs said:

If you don’t like it go read your bible. Zealots are not winners. Brady doesn’t preach about god and he has 5 rings. Tebow praises the lord and now he’s a scrub AAA baseball player lmao. Peterman is also another guy who hypes up to Carrie Underwood. Sorry old bro, but god does NOT cut it in a man’s game that has more to do with mentality than physicality. There’s absolutely no room for god and jesus. 

Religion has no place in a sport of man. Neither does politics and I will bet you’re one of those faux patriots who got butthurt over the flag when you also never served (I did, 68W-M6.) Again, go back to your bible and Fox News and let the real men play it out. 

Actually I am not one of those guys about the flag, actually I don't watch Fox News, and you are actually being ridiculous when you say that McDermott is starting Peterman because of some religious reason. 

McDermott has been very clear; he wants guys that care about the game of football and put their time and effort into making themselves the best they can be at football.  I will be very surprised if Peterman starts Sunday.

4 minutes ago, nucci said:

Don't tell me I'm ignorant....I know what I'm talking about. Peterman is not being touted in any of these ways by anyone

How often are you in the locker room?

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Actually I am not one of those guys about the flag, actually I don't watch Fox News, and you are actually being ridiculous when you say that McDermott is starting Peterman because of some religious reason. 

McDermott has been very clear; he wants guys that care about the game of football and put their time and effort into making themselves the best they can be at football.  I will be very surprised if Peterman starts Sunday.

How often are you in the locker room?

I've never been in the locker room. I've been in A locker room

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

Not saying YOU are an ignorant person my friend.....  just saying it is an ignorant thought to say that Peterman cannot teach Allen ANYTHING.  And we will just have to agree to disagree that Peterman is touted in those ways

6 minutes ago, BillsInWilmingtonNC said:

Not saying YOU are an ignorant person my friend.....  just saying it is an ignorant thought to say that Peterman cannot teach Allen ANYTHING.  And we will just have to agree to disagree that Peterman is touted in those ways

ok, sorry I took it the wrong way

Edited by nucci
  • Like (+1) 1

Can we please stop with the narrative that Peterman played "great" in preseason? In 3 preseason games this year he threw 3 pick-6s. They all happened to be dropped, but not because of anything Peterman did to make them hard to catch. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Cash said:

Can we please stop with the narrative that Peterman played "great" in preseason? In 3 preseason games this year he threw 3 pick-6s. They all happened to be dropped, but not because of anything Peterman did to make them hard to catch. 

He threw a TD pass on the 1st drive in the 1st game....that's not enough for you?

25 minutes ago, BillsInWilmingtonNC said:

I’m sorry but he gets baited more than any QB I’ve ever seen. He doesn’t know where to go with the ball. That’s why people keep jumping those outs. They ask him to throw it there and he obliges. 

12 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

assuming they are right up against the cap right now, signing Teddy at 6 perhaps would have meant no other FA signings this year , which would have been  unacceptable is my guess.   McCarron wasn't that much, and when he washed out they didn't even want to keep his lower number.  

I really don't know, but if they are as tight against the cap as we've been lead to believe , I would wager 6m is more than they've put out this year to all of their FA signings

You would be wrong. 

But Bridgewater I am sure would have taken the 2 year 10M contraft here too. But nope wanted another Shown Nothing QB in the room to match with Peterman. 

Heck we are paying the 6M in dead money easy with Coleman, Kerley and McCarron. 

Edited by MAJBobby

21 minutes ago, nucci said:

I've never been in the locker room. I've been in A locker room

Then you don't know what's being said about Peterman.  My guess personally is that McD meets with his leadership council and they are likely telling him that the players don't have faith in Peterman, but that's just a guess.  Like yours.

The Jets traded Bridgewater on Aug 29th to the Saints who really didn't need a QB. But the Saints were smart enough to have a bargain and competent  plan B. The Bills on the other hand signed a completely unproven QB in McCarron who disappointed in the preseason and was injured. Then traded McCarron on September 1st when they had an epiphany that McCarron sucked.  Bizarrely they went into the season with 2 QBS who were completely unproven and the predictable results happened. They had to know that McCarron was a bust by at least the last week of August and a good GM should have begun a desperate search at point to secure a competent QB as a starter or backup or mentor to Allen. They could have had Bridgewater for a 3rd round pick but they completely bungled any attempt to rescue themselves from this salvageable situation and went steaming full speed into the season with 2 qbs. 6 weeks later the Bills find themselves in a dire situation of their own making.

2 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

The Jets traded Bridgewater on Aug 29th to the Saints who really didn't need a QB. But the Saints were smart enough to have a bargain and competent  plan B. The Bills on the other hand signed a completely unproven QB in McCarron who disappointed in the preseason and was injured. Then traded McCarron on September 1st when they had an epiphany that McCarron sucked.  Bizarrely they went into the season with 2 QBS who were completely unproven and the predictable results happened. They had to know that McCarron was a bust by at least the last week of August and a good GM should have begun a desperate search at point to secure a competent QB as a starter or backup or mentor to Allen. They could have had Bridgewater for a 3rd round pick but they completely bungled any attempt to rescue themselves from this salvageable situation and went steaming full speed into the season with 2 qbs. 6 weeks later the Bills find themselves in a dire situation of their own making.

They could have signed his as an FA, but a lot of teams were gun shy with his injury.  Then he played in preseason and showed he would hold up.  But to say we could have had him for a 3rd round pick assumes the Jets would have traded him to a division rival.  I don't think that assumption can be made.

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Then you don't know what's being said about Peterman.  My guess personally is that McD meets with his leadership council and they are likely telling him that the players don't have faith in Peterman, but that's just a guess.  Like yours.

Isn’t it terrifying though that he can’t see that on his own? Does he really need the leadership council to say, “hey this guy stinks?” 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

So being critical is spamming. And yes In Hindsight with the way this position group was handled after the trade yep I can say that

Well, if you mean by "being critical" saying same thing over and over and over and over in several hundred posts several times a day, then yes, I can comfortably say that you were spamming. No shame at all here?

Edited by Tenhigh

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Isn’t it terrifying though that he can’t see that on his own? Does he really need the leadership council to say, “hey this guy stinks?” 

I think he can see it.  I think he also sees a guy who practices well and played really well in pre-season, and for whatever reason cannot translate that into the regular season games.  He has a decision to make this week:  a guy in Peterman who basically lost the game for them last week, and a vet in Anderson who odes not know the complete playbook yet.  I expect it will be Anderson.  And part of that will be his team leadership and him talking about it.

I'm going to the game since I live in the Indy area.  You'll be able to hear me screaming Noooooo!!!!!!! over everyone else on TV if Peterman runs out for the first series.

26 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

but it's a good guess

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I think he can see it.  I think he also sees a guy who practices well and played really well in pre-season, and for whatever reason cannot translate that into the regular season games.  He has a decision to make this week:  a guy in Peterman who basically lost the game for them last week, and a vet in Anderson who odes not know the complete playbook yet.  I expect it will be Anderson.  And part of that will be his team leadership and him talking about it.

I'm going to the game since I live in the Indy area.  You'll be able to hear me screaming Noooooo!!!!!!! over everyone else on TV if Peterman runs out for the first series.

How hard is it to learn Daboll’s 1941 playbook. 

Peterman also didnt play 'Great' in the Preseason, he just played better then the rookie who's biggest knock was that he needed time to sit and learn, and a career backup to this point who was hurt part way into the 2nd game.

I cant think of any 5th round QB that has been given as many chances as Nate after showing absolutely nothing

This front office and coaching staff, if Allen was the guy they truly wanted, should have been bringing in the best offensive coaches to help him, along with a more seasoned veteran to play for now until they felt comfortable handing the position over to him. Now because of their egos and ineptitude, they risk losing a lockerroom because they have a good looking defence that's being wasted by a poor offence thats only going to get worse forcing Peterman into more games when he has already proven he is not capable of playing in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsInWilmingtonNC said:

LOL...come on really??  Yeah Peterman has a vast amount of experience in all 8 or so quarters he played with 80 thundering yards with 10 interceptions.....he should not even speak to anyone about QBing....

15 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Not a FA.  Would have been an in division trade, and would the Jets have done that?

He was a free agent this summer, the Bills decided on McCarron rather than Bridgewater and the contracts weren't that different.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

If that’s what he sees then he isn’t seeing it. This decision can’t be influenced by his irrelevant preseason play. He is running out the least productive QB in history.

I, like you, hope that he runs Anderson out there. He’s not the answer but he’s definitely not worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

As I mentioned earlier, McBeane mismanaged the QB position on multiple levels:

1) TT never should have been pulled last year and Peterman never should have started that game. Peterman clearly was not ready, and I have to believe that what happened in that game negatively affected him . . . and has since then.  I am not saying he is a number one QB, but I do believe that he could have been at least a serviceable backup.

2) Mahomes - the McCoach defenders hate it when people bring up Mahomes' name.  So be it.  Mahomes is forever linked with McCoach and the decision to trade that pick . . . and everything that resulted from there (choosing Josh and all of the assets that we had to give up to draft him).

3) Josh Allen - we can debate about whether the Bills should have drafted him where we did.  I think that it is pretty clear that it was not wise to give up so much just to be able to draft him where we did . . . especially given that we have put him in such a difficult position.

4) Offensive line - we did not do our QBs or our RBs any favors here . . . especially a QB who is very raw and needs time to learn the position and develop (if he ever will).  The fact that Josh takes so much time to make a decision in the pocket further demonstrates that.  Josh also has an historically bad 1.6 QB rating under pressure.  

It would be nice for our young and very, very raw QB if we had a dominant running game.  We used to.  In 2016, we averaged 5.3 yards per carry.  In 2017, we averaged 4.1 yards per carry.  This year, we are averaging 3.6 yards per carry.

5) Receivers - see offensive line. What weapons do our QBs have?!? Of course, people bring up Sammy (especially after what we gave up to draft him) but what about a guy like Goodwin?  Did we even make an effort to extend him or was an Olympic athlete not part of the process or culture.

6) AJ McCarron (or Derek Anderson or someone else) - I thought it was idiotic to trade the only guy with experience who knew the playbook . . . especially someone who was so cheap and had shown that he was at least serviceable with the Bengals (and perhaps more).  Some have observed that Mahomes is in a better situation because he was allowed to sit and learn.  We controlled that and failed. For someone as raw as Josh Allen is, it would have made so much sense not to have to rush him along.  This year clearly has shown that.

I had my doubts about drafting Josh and certainly did not agree with all of the assets that we had to give up to get him. Nevertheless, I like the kid and want him to succeed.  I take it that McBeane love the kid but have made it all the more difficult for the kid to develop into a capable NFL starter let alone a franchise QB.  I hope he can do it, but McBeane did not do him any favors.

In the end, McBeane's fortunes (and the team's) will rise and fall with how well Josh Allen plays and whether he is that franchise QB he should be especially given the assets that we gave up to get him.   If he does become that franchise QB, my hat is off to the kid given the tough spot that we have put him in.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Peter
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

He was a free agent this summer, the Bills decided on McCarron rather than Bridgewater and the contracts weren't that different.

He signed with the Jets as a FA in March 2018, and was traded to the Saints in August.  You have your timing wrong.

29 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

They could have signed his as an FA, but a lot of teams were gun shy with his injury.  Then he played in preseason and showed he would hold up.  But to say we could have had him for a 3rd round pick assumes the Jets would have traded him to a division rival.  I don't think that assumption can be made.

He was pretty good for the Jets in the preseason if you can really reach a conclusion from the stats. Some Jets fans were not happy with the trade.

As for your observation about the Jets trading him to the Bills or not doing so. You would think that might be the case that they wouldn't trade to a division rival but I would like to know if the Bills even inquired (which they should have).  How in the hell did the Saints get him? Were the Jets shopping him around? Why wasn't Beane at least on the phone scrambling around trying to get another viable QB option? They had already seen Bridgewater perform better than McCarron in the preseason.   Perhaps Beane should have been signing Bridgewater in March to try out right after they traded TT? I just don't understand the logic of going into the season with 2 unproven QBs when there were so many other options available that could be had on the cheap! Total mismanagement!