Democratic 2020 Presidential Primary Thread

snafu

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, row_33 said:

Dan Aykroyd as Carter telling people to beat inflation by throwing their dollar bills into the fire was too point on and deadly, they never did that again.

They actually did a second one with Akroyd as Carter which was possibly the funniest. He told Americans it was too hard to fix the economy, so his new economic policy was going to be "Inflation is our friend."

I've never been able to find the video, but I did find the transcript.

President Jimmy Carter: Good evening. On Tuesday, we Americans will have the opportunity to exercise our role as citizens in a free democracy. Yet, only a third of the eligible voters will actually cast ballots. The other two-thirds are, in a sense, very lucky. Because they do not know what’s going on.

Last week, I delivered a message on inflation. Since then, the dollar has dropped in value, the stock market has sustained record losses, and the whole sow price index increased 0.9%. In other words, our economic system is screwed, blued and tatooed! We just have to face the fact that there is simply no way to fight inflation in a capitolly-intensive, highly-technological, conflict-riddled, anything-for-a-thrill world of today. That’s why, tonight, I want you to try to look for in inflation, an entirely new word: Inflation is our friend.

For example, consider this: in the year 2000, if current trends continue, the average blue-collar annual wage in this country will be $568,000. Think what this inflated world of the future will mean – most Americans will be millionaires. Everyone will feel like a bigshot. Wouldn’t you like to own a $4,000 suit, and smoke a $75 cigar, drive a $600,000 car? I know I would! But what about people on fixed incomes? They have always been the true victims of inflation.

That’s why I will present to Congress the “Inflation Maintenance Program”, whereby the U.S. Treasury will make up any inflation-caused losses to direct tax rebates to the public in cash. Then you may say, “Won’t that cost a lot of money? Won’t that increase the deficit?” Sure it will! But so what? We’ll just print more money! We have the papers, we have the mints.. I can just call up the Bureau of Engraving and say, “Hi! This is Jimmy. Roll out some of them twenties! Print up a couple thousand sheets of those Century Notes!” Sure, all these dollars will cause even more inflation, but who cares? Everyone will be a millionaire!

In my speech last week, I said that America would have to undergo an austerity program, but since this revolutionary new approach welcomes inflation, our economy will be free to grow, and we can spend, spend, spend! I believe the watchwords for the 80’s should be “Let’s Party!” And in that spirit, I’d like to say, “Live, from New York, it’s Saturday Night!”

3 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

You're looking and sounding very old Joe.  Time to retire.  There's no prize for dying in office or while on the campaign trail. 

Get in the Corvette, put the top down and go for a ride. 

Like Thelma and Louise

Trump is laughing every day cause he knows there isn't one threat to him from the Demonrats in the 2020 Presidential election.

The one sane one the Dems have (Gabbard) won't even get close to the nomination, which is sad.

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

even on a friendly platform like CNN, booker still always looks clueless

For most of these leftists, it's a money grab. Many of them can announce their intent, and bring in 7 figures just for the thought. Half the people running are unknowns, but it's probably good for mid six figures for their coffers. Same thing you saw with Chris Christie, Scott Walker, etc. back when the GOP was driving the clown car.

I mean, how do you think Bernie Sanders came to own three houses?

• Like (+1) 1

Biden advisors feel it’s healthy for him to talk about his grandchild’s concerns about his handsiness?

i guess if you have no ideas for a campaign this will suffice

:(

“Biden’s best state is South Carolina, where he has 48% support (36% in February), followed by [Iowa] with 35% (25% in February), and New Hampshire at 34% (22% in February). This represents a double-digit boost in all three states over the past three months. After Biden, we find Bernie Sanders in second in all three states, in the low double-digits. Pete Buttigieg, who was not included in our first round, finished third in all three states with support ranging from 5% in South Carolina to 11% in Iowa.”

http://firehousestrategies.com/may-2019-survey/

Well I'll be darned, seems like the dems are confused as to the direction of their party. The candidates that want the NGD (no more cows, planes or fossil fuels), elimination of private healthcare insurance, infanticide and to raise taxes are sucking hind tit to an old white guy who likes to not only touch women, kids and men but sniffs their hair. He has more gaffes than a whaler and is himself a fossil. This has the potential of an all out food fight with one side throwing T-bones while the other side throws tofu. The undercards could have Spartacus giving the rainbow mayor a good ass whipping, while Liawatha challenges Gillibrand to a game of beer pong and Threehouse Sanders teams up with Kama Sutra Harris to show off their version of the "Brown Willy". Good times ahead.

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Well I'll be darned, seems like the dems are confused as to the direction of their party. The candidates that want the NGD (no more cows, planes or fossil fuels), elimination of private healthcare insurance, infanticide and to raise taxes are sucking hind tit to an old white guy who likes to not only touch women, kids and men but sniffs their hair. He has more gaffes than a whaler and is himself a fossil. This has the potential of an all out food fight with one side throwing T-bones while the other side throws tofu. The undercards could have Spartacus giving the rainbow mayor a good ass whipping, while Liawatha challenges Gillibrand to a game of beer pong and Threehouse Sanders teams up with Kama Sutra Harris to show off their version of the "Brown Willy". Good times ahead.

Don’t underestimate how the clown car winner will benefit from all the PR. That’s what happened in 2016 for the Rs. 

1 hour ago, BeginnersMind said:

Don’t underestimate how the clown car winner will benefit from all the PR. That’s what happened in 2016 for the Rs. 

:lol:  Can you even name three without googling them?

Former Vice President Joe Biden has a 32-point lead in the Democratic presidential race in a Hill-HarrisX poll released Monday.

Biden won 46 percent in the poll compared to 14 percent for Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), who came in a distant second place.

Former South Bend, Ind. mayor Pete Buttigieg was in third place with 8 percent, followed by Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) with 7 percent.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/442310-joe-biden

4 hours ago, DC Tom said:

:lol:  Can you even name three without googling them?

Exactly. But that huge field made it exciting. When there was discussion that the Rs might go to the convention, and how “bad” that would look, I took the opposite view. If we get a televised and live-tweeted contested convention, the winner of that will get a massive boost in popularity because people will have actually enjoyed the primary. 

The current primary anointment ceremonies are a snooze. 

24 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Trying to protect OUR country from another attack. Something the other party seems to welcome 

Can you name any of the specific stated foreign policy philosophies that any of the dem candidates have espoused?

22 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Can you name any of the specific stated foreign policy philosophies that any of the dem candidates have espoused?

I can!

‘Give other countries free stuff and refunds to pay for the imperialist tendencies of the evil Americans.’ 

How’d I do? Put me in coach!

55 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Sure, all of them have said that we need to take foreign attacks on our elections seriously and to not encourage them. 

33 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I can!

‘Give other countries free stuff and refunds to pay for the imperialist tendencies of the evil Americans.’ 

How’d I do? Put me in coach!

Who said that? 

Actually, I wonder what bone fides any of the dem candidates have as it pertains to foreign policy? Excluding O'Biden, who has had a perfect failure rate when it comes to dealing with other countries I don't know who does. Threehouse Sanders did honeymoon in Russia and Liawatha did have to apologize to the Cherokee Nation so there's that, but it seems to be the extent of their experience.   

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Sure, all of them have said that we need to take foreign attacks on our elections seriously and to not encourage them. 

That must be the post-Obama position of the party.  Glad to hear the Dems are evolving. 

25 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Joe, please maintain that position.  Be consistent and don't move off of that. 

Edited by keepthefaith

8 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

That must be the post-Obama position of the party.  Glad to hear the Dems are evolving. 

Joe, please maintain that position.  Be consistent and don't move off of that. 

"Read my lips".

2 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

"Read my lips".

But that was "no new taxes."  Not "no old tax cuts."  

I like how, in 30 years, we've gone from "increasing taxes" to "repealing tax cuts" though.  That's clever.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Well, it's clear that Ms. Quinn is correct, at least in terms whomever spawned her.

21 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Migrants are are human beings, you know? 

Who said they weren't?

Be specific and provide the entirety of any quotes.

1 hour ago, Koko78 said:

Well, it's clear that Ms. Quinn is correct, at least in terms whomever spawned her.

Who said they weren't?

Be specific and provide the entirety of any quotes.

Actions speak louder than words and the right wing attempt to drive away poor, scared and threatened migrants is not showing them humanity, it's treating them like sub humans 

42 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Actions speak louder than words and the right wing attempt to drive away poor, scared and threatened migrants is not showing them humanity, it's treating them like sub humans 

tenor.gif