Democratic 2020 Presidential Primary Thread

snafu

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/politics-ideas/campaigns-elections/joe-biden-bad-judgment/

There may be no greater incongruity in American politics than that between the unilateral powers vested in the president on matters related to foreign affairs and how little the electorate cares about foreign affairs. Absent an acute crisis, events on the world stage just aren’t foremost on American minds. Joe Biden’s ascension to the Democratic Party’s presidential nomination would alter that equation, in part because he spent over a decade as the ranking member and then chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. But Biden’s efforts to favorably contrast himself with the Trump administration on foreign policy will be complicated by his record of astoundingly bad judgment.

Biden opposed providing support to the South Vietnamese government following American withdrawal from South East Asia, contributing to the horrific conditions that led to the fall of Saigon. When Gerald Ford’s administration sought to resettle as many South Vietnamese refugees as it could, Biden joined Democratic efforts to withhold refugee assistance and exclude “barmaids, prostitutes and criminals” from eligibility. Though Biden’s flawed foreign-policy instincts often reflected the liberal consensus at the time, they were still unsound.

It goes on and on...……………………….check out the link

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Why? 

Experience is no longer considered an asset but a liability.  His record will be attacked relentlessly in the primaries.  Trump can run to the Bernie Sanders left of him like he did Hillary as far as trade deals and supporting the Iraq War.  He's gaffe prone, old, establishment, and wouldn't be relevant at all if Obama didn't make him VP after another failed presidential campaign.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Experience is no longer considered an asset but a liability.  His record will be attacked relentlessly in the primaries.  Trump can run to the Bernie Sanders left of him like he did Hillary as far as trade deals and supporting the Iraq War.  He's gaffe prone, old, establishment, and wouldn't be relevant at all if Obama didn't make him VP after another failed presidential campaign.

I don't think the experience thing will be as important in 2020 as it was in 2016 simply because we have seen what an inexperienced, incompetent president looks like. 

I hope he is attacked and beaten up in the primaries. I'd welcome that. His gaffes will seem funny now in relation to the pathological liar we have now. 

And if he can (probably) carry Pennsylvania it's almost game over in general election. 

His choice of VP will be really important. I like how he was courting Stacy Abrams. 

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/politics-ideas/campaigns-elections/joe-biden-bad-judgment/

There may be no greater incongruity in American politics than that between the unilateral powers vested in the president on matters related to foreign affairs and how little the electorate cares about foreign affairs. Absent an acute crisis, events on the world stage just aren’t foremost on American minds. Joe Biden’s ascension to the Democratic Party’s presidential nomination would alter that equation, in part because he spent over a decade as the ranking member and then chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. But Biden’s efforts to favorably contrast himself with the Trump administration on foreign policy will be complicated by his record of astoundingly bad judgment.

Biden opposed providing support to the South Vietnamese government following American withdrawal from South East Asia, contributing to the horrific conditions that led to the fall of Saigon. When Gerald Ford’s administration sought to resettle as many South Vietnamese refugees as it could, Biden joined Democratic efforts to withhold refugee assistance and exclude “barmaids, prostitutes and criminals” from eligibility. Though Biden’s flawed foreign-policy instincts often reflected the liberal consensus at the time, they were still unsound.

It goes on and on...……………………….check out the link

Seriously? The 2020 electorate will be voting over the Vietnam war? 

Come on 

22 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Come on 

The article was about Biden's poor decisions and positions he has made and taken over his political career. I guess that was too difficult for you to understand though.

41 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I don't think the experience thing will be as important in 2020 as it was in 2016 simply because we have seen what an inexperienced, incompetent president looks like. 

I hope he is attacked and beaten up in the primaries. I'd welcome that. His gaffes will seem funny now in relation to the pathological liar we have now. 

And if he can (probably) carry Pennsylvania it's almost game over in general election. 

His choice of VP will be really important. I like how he was courting Stacy Abrams. 

Come on 

If he can carry Pennsylvania (probably)?  Is this what you tell yourself to sleep at night?  If he keeps slurring words he ain't making it into Jan 2020.

15 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

If he can carry Pennsylvania (probably)?  Is this what you tell yourself to sleep at night?  If he keeps slurring words he ain't making it into Jan 2020.

I'm sorry, do you have anything resembling an intelligent point? Because this babbling nonesense you posted is just showing your fear of Trump losing. 

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I'm sorry, do you have anything resembling an intelligent point? Because this babbling nonesense you posted is just showing your fear of Trump losing. 

The fear you carry is very evident in your response.  I predict many nights for you alternating between chills and sweat.  Since you will have trouble sleeping you can compile a list of all the countries that do not have an extradition treaty with the US........................that the Clintons might visit.

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

You certainly are living up to your reputation.

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

From his roll out all I got so far is "I'm not Trump."  That worked great in 2016. 

He needs to win all the states Hillary carried, PA, WI, and MI to win (or flip Florida and/or North Carolina).  Not just PA. 

VP's rarely do much for you, but he'd pry want to pick one who just  lost a governor's race.  Has she conceded yet?  If Biden unfortunately does win the primary he'd be better off with choosing somebody that can fire up millennials and somebody slightly to the left of him.  Buttigieg or Gabbard would be a better choice.

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

From his roll out all I got so far is "I'm not Trump."  That worked great in 2016. 

He needs to win all the states Hillary carried, PA, WI, and MI to win (or flip Florida and/or North Carolina).  Not just PA. 

VP's rarely do much for you, but he'd pry want to pick one who just  lost a governor's race.  Has she conceded yet?  If Biden unfortunately does win the primary he'd be better off with choosing somebody that can fire up millennials and somebody slightly to the left of him.  Buttigieg or Gabbard would be a better choice.

2016 was more about "I'm not Hillary" (and part of the greater Swamp) than it was about "I'm not Trump," right?

I feel like even most of you here at PPP would agree with that.

So Trump squeezed out an election because of one of a faulty candidate along with a little help from Russia and Wikileaks, lack of "established criminal conspiracy" notwithstanding...

I'm genuinely curious... what gives you guys this confidence for a President who's had historically low approval ratings throughout his ENTIRE presidency? If your confidence stems from the lack of anything he's doing to protect our next election and an assumption that there will be more interference next time around, then unfortunately I almost understand that position.

But unless something big happens Trump likely wouldn't win the next election against a competent candidate (Biden is competent... Bernie isn't) without major outside help just like he wouldn't have won in 2016. That election was pretty much the perfect confluence of events for him... which he may have played a big role in, even if it's not "established" as criminal.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

2016 was more about "I'm not Hillary" (and part of the greater Swamp) than it was about "I'm not Trump," right?......

......That election was pretty much the perfect confluence of events for him... which he may have played a big role in, even if it's not "established" as criminal.

I disagree.

I think there was a lot of trepidation about Trump prior to the 2016 election, that was created by the media. He was an unknown entity, a guy who might start a nuclear war, collapse the economy, create concentration camps, round up Muslims, try to overturn Roe vs. Wade...there would be a massive uprising of White Power, with groups parading through cities and towns, intimidating POC, and cops killing Black men, emboldened by Trump's indifference to Blacks...on and on.

None of that happened. Instead, there was a bogus investigation, that has fallen flat, no new wars, reworked trade agreements, the Korean situation improving, and the economy is doing fine.

There was a large portion of voters that were hesitant about Trump, that will now consider him a known entity.

Trump will win.

PS don't believe the polls, "approval ratings" are unreliable.

Edited by OJ Tom

People stayed home in 2016 because the coronation was a foregone conclusion. People here dedicated pages to the conspiracy to anoint her. 

Trump’s ability to generate interest may work against him (or for him) in 2020. But I expect a significant uptick in total turnout. 

A PA flip would turn it all on its head. The Ds can’t afford to lose it again and the Rs must keep it. If it flips, it portends a problem for Trump. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

But this isn't 2016, things have changed, and I'm not Trump is a good place to be right now. And winning Pa would mean he is attractive to the voters of those other states you mentioned, which I agree about. 

And i I really do think VPs matter. Has to be a women, and a women of color would be best, IMO 

18 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

But this isn't 2016, things have changed, and I'm not Trump is a good place to be right now. And winning Pa would mean he is attractive to the voters of those other states you mentioned, which I agree about. 

And i I really do think VPs matter. Has to be a women, and a women of color would be best, IMO 

“I’m not Trump” is not building a better country. It’s divisive argument. His initial ad was not wrong in calling out Trump’s clumsy (giving him some benefit) response to Charlottesville but it shows TDS, not leadership. 

1 hour ago, BeginnersMind said:

“I’m not Trump” is not building a better country. It’s divisive argument. His initial ad was not wrong in calling out Trump’s clumsy (giving him some benefit) response to Charlottesville but it shows TDS, not leadership. 

Oh, I don't care. I just want to win. Seriously. 

11 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Pretty sure we'll hear more "bone spur" jokes from the left, so...yeah.

If Trump attacks anymore veterans I'm sure you will. 

The decision to not support South Vietnam isn't something anyone dwells on anymore 

Biden is the Democrats version of John McCain...completely uninspiring to the average voter. Just a nice old guy who’s been around for a long time but with nothing passionate to offer as a vision for the future. I have a hard time believing he’ll win the Primary given the Dems current overly passionate voter base. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Biden is the Democrats version of John McCain...completely uninspiring to the average voter. Just a nice old guy who’s been around for a long time but with nothing passionate to offer as a vision for the future. I have a hard time believing he’ll win the Primary given the Dems current overly passionate voter base. 

All he offers is a possible path to PA but otherwise, you’re spot on. 

Just now, BeginnersMind said:

All he offers is a possible path to PA but otherwise, you’re spot on. 

Exactly. But in football terms it’s like an NFC team building a roster to beat the Patriots but  forgetting they have to first win their own Conference!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Oh, I don't care. I just want to win. Seriously. 

If Trump attacks anymore veterans I'm sure you will. 

The decision to not support South Vietnam isn't something anyone dwells on anymore 

So, you're going to double down on your original ignorant post even after it has been explained to you why you were wrong? My post that you are referring to was about the fact that Joe Biden has basically always made bad decisions and has been on the wrong side of history. That's what the article I posted was about but you didn't get that, twice.

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Nor is Trump...

Trump never ran on the basis of being a polished speaker.  All the others did and criticized Trump over his rough approach.  Most Americans can relate to being less than perfect orators and cared that Trump offered something different than the establishment.  Unless Trump starts sounding like a stroke victim he has nothing to worry about on that front.  Many restless nights ahead for you as well I see.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

So, you're going to double down on your original ignorant post even after it has been explained to you why you were wrong? My post that you are referring to was about the fact that Joe Biden has basically always made bad decisions and has been on the wrong side of history. That's what the article I posted was about but you didn't get that, twice.

No, pulling out of South Vietnam was a correct decision, imo. You think we should have still been bombing the crap out of that country? You can't find a legit criticism of him? That's telling. 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

So you think after the smoke clears the rest of Democrats will rally around one of the other candidates like Beto or Sanders? 

32 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Poor Beto. This is an obit more than anything else, and to think just a month and a half ago he was the "chosen one". 

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-beto-orourke-visits-california-20190501-story.html

Mayor Pete stole the wind from the field, but no one more than Beto, who looks to be an empty suit. 

36 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

No, pulling out of South Vietnam was a correct decision, imo. You think we should have still been bombing the crap out of that country? You can't find a legit criticism of him? That's telling. 

HAHA Gator, you have done yourself proud. Now you've tripled down on dumb. Click on the link in my post and you'll see that what I posted was about Biden's poor decisions, not about bombing. Is there a part of you that isn't obtuse?

33 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

HAHA Gator, you have done yourself proud. Now you've tripled down on dumb. Click on the link in my post and you'll see that what I posted was about Biden's poor decisions, not about bombing. Is there a part of you that isn't obtuse?

Poor decision not to continue the Vietnam war! You run with that, ok! lol 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Poor decision not to continue the Vietnam war! You run with that, ok! lol 

You'd be a very good troll if you were bright, or funny or even smarter than a fifth grader. Oh, it would help if you could spell too. Just one more thing, you would do better if you weren't such a liar.

Hillary is the top candidate right up until the balloons fall after the other person's acceptance speech, even then we may have a coup.

even a draft at the convention is possible with her....