Democratic 2020 Presidential Primary Thread

snafu

10 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

I'd love to see that asswipe Cuomo crap his pants if Trump somehow "won" the popular vote, and all of NY's votes went to him - especially if it caused his re-election.

i have 0% belief the GOP will win NY in the next 100 years

Cali is a possibly if they have another national figure from or associated, like RMN or RWR.... that would be joy enough

10 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

A counterpart in Toronto always told me Quebec lacks the tax base that would support their desires or it would have happened already.  But if enough people up there start to believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy then all bets are off.

My current question is if anyone born after 1980 in Quebec, or immigrants landing cares at all about preserving Quebec language rights, a big topic up until a decade ago.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Oh, that doesn't matter. The electoral votes, under this compact, go to whomever wins the national popular vote.

Cuomo would ***** a brick and try to pull out faster than @Boyst62 on date night.

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Cali is a possibly if they have another national figure from or associated, like RMN or RWR.... that would be joy enough

My current question is if anyone born after 1980 in Quebec, or immigrants landing cares at all about preserving Quebec language rights, a big topic up until a decade ago.

Based on my contact with my younger "superiors" out of Quebec then cultural identity is still of great importance with people under age 40.  The one guy just under the Vice President for North American operations would be maybe age 40 in 2019.  

If we want to reduce the cost of a college education reduce the availability of student loans. Student loans are passed out like candy on Halloween, allowing universities to continue to raise tuition and bloat their administrative staffs.

There are many professions that don't require a college degree but possibly an apprenticeship or trade school is the best for some people. They pay a lot better than social services jobs that require a degree and cost a lot in tuition. You don't pay back a 100k loan on a $20,000 annual salary.

4 hours ago, Crayola64 said:

No such thing as working for stuff, so I want to be on the list to get!

Surely there is no middle ground where we (a) make college more affordable for those who need it and (b) stop punishing students in some/many respects with loans.

I like it in theory but not in practice. I think we need less college, not more. Too many people graduate with massive debt and no marketable job skills.

Making it free just exacerbates the problem. We as a society will still pour tremendous resources into an investment with an increasingly poor ROI. The cost is just hidden.

We'd be better off if all education was streamlined and geared more towards learning practical and profitable skills. There are career paths for which certain college programs make a lot of sense, but for most it's really unnecessary. It would make more sense for the standard form of higher education to be a part-time program that you do while you're working in your chosen career path.

8 hours ago, row_33 said:

set up a system of National Service where every student has to work for 2 years, in various areas of dire need of support, with schooling the reward for this service.

We.kind of have something like this already.  It's called the military.  A young person can enlist in a non combat specialty like food service or refrigerator technician or aviation maintenance. Stay in 3 years, learn a skill, and then go to college on the GI bill. Pays tuition and housing. Worked for me.  In Texas you get free college tuition for life of you are a veteran. My brother got a Masters degree that way.

I don't feel sorry for those people that game out student loans. There are other options out there.

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

We.kind of have something like this already.  It's called the military.  A young person can enlist in a non combat specialty like food service or refrigerator technician or aviation maintenance. Stay in 3 years, learn a skill, and then go to college on the GI bill. Pays tuition and housing. Worked for me.  In Texas you get free college tuition for life of you are a veteran. My brother got a Masters degree that way.

I don't feel sorry for those people that game out student loans. There are other options out there.

Could you imagine some of these skinny jeans fruitcake types surviving in a combat arms battalion? I can't.

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Yes, the military is one established form of this service.

Several areas of social services could also be made available for an individual to give two years to. 

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Could you imagine some of these skinny jeans fruitcake types surviving in a combat arms battalion? I can't.

I'd put them at the front of the landing craft or first off the chopper to draw fire away from the rest of the unit

9 hours ago, Rob's House said:

I like it in theory but not in practice. I think we need less college, not more. Too many people graduate with massive debt and no marketable job skills.

Making it free just exacerbates the problem. We as a society will still pour tremendous resources into an investment with an increasingly poor ROI. The cost is just hidden.

We'd be better off if all education was streamlined and geared more towards learning practical and profitable skills. There are career paths for which certain college programs make a lot of sense, but for most it's really unnecessary. It would make more sense for the standard form of higher education to be a part-time program that you do while you're working in your chosen career path.

We need to tell our kids that proper selection of a curriculum is key to a successful career path.  Quite a number of people will minor or double major something useless but still have a very useful major to use for a career.  I've got no problem with a college offering poetry as a major but the parents and the college need to clue the kid in that he pretty much does that for personal satisfaction versus being a path to a paying career.

2 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Hell,  imagine basic training, "But Drill Sargent, that's not fair"!

PPPYYYLLLEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

We need to tell our kids that proper selection of a curriculum is key to a successful career path.  Quite a number of people will minor or double major something useless but still have a very useful major to use for a career.  I've got no problem with a college offering poetry as a major but the parents and the college need to clue the kid in that he pretty much does that for personal satisfaction versus being a path to a paying career.

goldfish feeding and fingerpainting degrees are meant only for the children of the rich

that's just a fact of life that will destroy anyone who tries to go against the grain of this truth

41 minutes ago, row_33 said:

goldfish feeding and fingerpainting degrees are meant only for the children of the rich

that's just a fact of life that will destroy anyone who tries to go against the grain of this truth

Those kind of curriculums only exist at colleges where the main aim is to marry well.  A number of those colleges are around the Rochester area.  The old joke used to be that a large number of women were there to get their MRS degree.

16 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Those kind of curriculums only exist at colleges where the main aim is to marry well.  A number of those colleges are around the Rochester area.  The old joke used to be that a large number of women were there to get their MRS degree.

anything outside of STEM is that curriculum, unless one is honestly driven to hit the books and use it for graduate school.  that's not a very high percentage

40 minutes ago, row_33 said:

anything outside of STEM is that curriculum, unless one is honestly driven to hit the books and use it for graduate school.  that's not a very high percentage

I have STEM degrees and used to think like that. But I'd hate to be without artists, cooks, tradespeople, farmers, accountants, lawyers, politicians. It takes a lot of people to make a society work. 

Edited by BeginnersMind
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

I have STEM degrees and used to think like that. But I'd hate to be without artists, cooks, tradespeople, farmers, accountants, lawyers, politicians. It takes a lot of people to make a society work. 

aflac duck.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

the issue is people thinking they are ENTITLED to a university degree because they simply exist

and ruining themselves forever financially because taking out large loans when you have no job possibilities awaiting is suicide

what field(s) of study are your degrees in?

accountants and lawyers are not including in fingerpainting degree fields.

most farmers i know are engineers

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the issue is people thinking they are ENTITLED to a university degree because they simply exist

and ruining themselves forever financially because taking out large loans when you have no job possibilities awaiting is suicide

Not suicide. Just a life choice that you don't like. 

The consequences of those choices are what they are. 

10 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Not suicide. Just a life choice that you don't like. 

The consequences of those choices are what they are. 

based on the quality of your thinking here, i don't doubt that you find it fine to run up $100,000 plus in debt for no good reason at all.

Yeah, i guess that's a life choice, it's a really stupid one and will ruin you.

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

Why do you think that's true? Maybe if politicians were a little less political and lawyers were a little less litigious, eh?

People have felt that way since the beginning of lawyers and politicians. You like the ones you like.

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

based on the quality of your thinking here, i don't doubt that you find it fine to run up $100,000 plus in debt for no good reason at all.

Not necessary. 

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Yeah, i guess that's a life choice, it's a really stupid one and will ruin you.

Some will have financial hardship. Life choices have consequences. 

44 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

mr-rodgers-middle-finger-mister-rogers-f

Having worked in the real estate development end of things I've run into numerous lawyers that I wouldn't trust to hang on to my lunch money for an hour. Conversely I have worked with attorneys who I had the utmost respect for. In retrospect, the lawyers that I didn't trust usually were working out of their field of expertise and tried to bs their way through the job at hand. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about and have experienced much of the same. No offense to you as I'm sure you are one of the good guys. Oh, and BTW if you want to give someone the finger, this is easier: mlm

20 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Booker tells lawmakers he is running for president and seeks their support

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/427980-booker-seeks-support-from-lawmakers-as-he-informs-them-he-is-running-for

Going go be great watching Harris, Booker & Warren all argue who is the blackest among them.

The overlap in a venn diagram among the three of them wouldn’t be “blacker” than Joe Namath.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Going go be great watching Harris, Booker & Warren all argue who is the blackest among them..

This is a lesson for the light-minded leftists who mocked the right with the whole "clown car" schtick when a bunch of GOP candidates were elbowing for the top spot.

Be careful what you mock, as you will surely get it. You're about to go from the Democratic Party to the Donner Party. Someone make some popcorn and tell the fat lady she's on in five.