Democratic 2020 Presidential Primary Thread

snafu

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Biden had all his mental faculties intact as far as I can tell through debates and interviews as far back as 2016.  He's only seemed senile recently.  I don't think there's any irresponsibility on Obama's part in making him his VP choice.  I do agree that he's not up for being the presidential nominee.  Bloomberg is pry the most qualified having run a successful business that made him a self made billionaire and being mayor of a major city for 12 years.  I agree with you that he won't win though because of the reason you cited.  Also, Biff Tannen would destroy him in a general election as he's already making fun of his height which is hilarious.

I think most voters understand that Bernie's pie in the sky proposals are unrealistic.  When they here "medicare for all" they think he's going to fight like hell to lower premiums and deductibles.  He's going to make sure more people are insured.  When they here "free college" they think finally somebody will do something to lower the increasing cost of college and the debt that occurs because of it.  When they hear "expand social security" they feel confident that entitlement cuts won't happen with him as president.  They can sense that his promise to raise the federal minimum wage isn't just lip service.  He's like Trump in that way.  Most Trump voters didn't think he was going to build a huge and beautiful wall with Mexico paying for it.  Nobody thought he was going to round up all the illegal immigrants and deport them.  They thought finally somebody will get serious with border security and illegal immigration.  When they heard him promise GDP growth would go up to 4 and maybe 5 percent they thought he'll do more to stimulate the economy.

In a hypothetical matchup between Bernie and Trump.  Trump won't be able to attack Bernie from the left like he did Hillary when it comes to trade.  He won't be able to chastise him for his Iraq War vote as they're both isolationists.  They're both perceived as "outsiders" so Trump can't even claim that role this time  Just screaming communist and free stuff is a weak tactic as they used the same playbook against Obama and failed.  We have a decent economy right now so I think Trump will still win, but it won't be as easy as Republicans think.  

Hmmmn. We have a good economy and Trump is in the process of fulfilling the promises that got him elected. Sanders worships communist dictators and wants to upset the apple cart. Stay the course or burn the house down? 

On 2/28/2020 at 10:13 PM, DC Tom said:

Bloody hell, you're a ***** baboon.  

That is all.

I guess you couldn't find a t-shirt that fit over that head?

BTW - good bye Mayor Pete

Edited by GG

3 hours ago, Chandemonium said:

In addition to the fakeness, I wonder if there’s some bias against her among dem primary voters, conscious or otherwise, because of her voice and her slim build. I know this stuff shouldn’t matter in a perfect world, but when I see her and hear her talk I think of a frail old lady. It’s not like it is with Biden’s constant mental errors where I would have concerns about her capability to do the job because of it, but it isn’t the image you want the leader of the most powerful nation on Earth to project either. It’s not just a man vs woman thing because I don’t get the same vibe from Klobuchar. 

Bias is a natural part of life, it just is the way it is.  If she was a Hospice  nurse caring for an aging and sick loved one, showed compassion and grace in doing so, she would be perceived differently even with her boyish figure and voice that feels like a woodworker's chisel is being jammed into your brain stem.  

Some people won't vote for trump because hes from NYC, some didnt vote for BO because of his heritage, and some would pass on Mike B because he's not unshort. 

Besides, she has used the perception of bias (real or imagined) as a hammer for her entire political career, often bringing her great success.  Sometimes she's bound to be on the wrong side of it.  

On 2/28/2020 at 9:29 AM, Just Joshin' said:

Why do you feel the need to tell him how to spend his money?  I do not feel the need to tell you how to spend yours.

I’d like to say that it’s none of my business how others spend their money. But we don’t live in an anarcho-capitalist society. If you like living in the US and you like the Constitution, then right away you are relinquishing some level of autonomy for the paid service of national defense. I also assume you like the fire department, law and order, transportation, maybe the post office, etc… so as you see, you are already acknowledging that not all economic goods and services you consume should necessarily be subject to the whims of the free market. The key argument from the progressive left is that we should spend the next 8 months revisiting the following goods and services in a similar way:

1. Health care: Is tying health care access to employment status reasonable? Should people suffer or die if they didn’t choose a high-enough-paying job or if they have struggled finding decent employment? Should families go bankrupt over health issues? Are other modern industrialized countries around the world doing it better and cheaper?

2. Education: most of us are okay with providing free public education from kindergarten up through high school. Why is that? What about child care and pre-k care during the most critical development stages in a human’s life? What about college and trade school? Are the outrageous costs of higher education prohibiting working class families from attending? How is student loan debt affecting the rest of the country’s economy?

3. Environment (air, water, public land ownership, energy extraction, etc.): this could get pretty contentious if you don’t believe in global warming, but at the very least I hope you acknowledge that our use of air and water can have negative economic externalities that require government oversight.

Analysis of Biden’s win and overall strategy: Hillary won SC roughly 75% to 25% in 2016, so it was always going to be a major struggle for Bernie to do much better in a Dem voting pool that skews old and centrist. This time, Biden won about 50% to Bernie’s clear second of 20%, with 4 other viable candidates in the race taking the remaining 30% (interestingly enough, exit polls had people in favor of Medicare For All at 50%, even though Sanders is the only candidate currently supporting it). So Biden did succeed in part one of his questionable strategy, which was to put almost all his campaign resources into securing his SC firewall. Part two of his strategy is now to ride this momentum and his “most electable” narrative into Super Tuesday and beyond. The major problem here is that Biden has practically no ground game or advertisements running in the Super Tuesday states! He put too many of his resources into winning SC. Fellow centrist Bloomberg is also in the race and eating into Biden’s vote percentage, and Bloomberg at least has the ads and a (sloppy but well-paid) ground game he put together at the last minute. Meanwhile, over here in Bernieland, we have a large, well-funded, well-organized grassroots ground game installed all over the country that has been extremely active since last February. The Super Tuesday polls largely reflect our superiority in organization.

Understanding Biden’s Appeal to Centrist Dems: Yeah…I can’t do this one. Is it his amazing public policy platform of not being Trump and being friends with that one black guy from a few years back? His extensive history of government bribery and crony capitalism? His approval of the student no-bankruptcy bill? His support of the prison-industrial complex? Or his decades-long history of warmongering neoconservatism? Or his decades-long history of middle class-destroying neoliberalism? His potential for cutting social security? Or maybe it’s simply the large crowds he attracts at events? His highly organized campaign organization flush with cash? The way he challenges voters to fights and push-ups? The way he creeps up behind young women? Perhaps it’s his stellar debate performances? His dementia-fueled gaffes? His soft racism? His youthful exuberance? The sexual allure of his pearly white dentures? His excellent parenting of Hunter? What is it?! In any case, I find the centrist Dems’ affection for Joe Biden absolutely adorable. Like a kitten hugging a puppy. Awww…some think he actually has a chance! How precious. Have your fun for a couple more days, centrist Dems. But by Wednesday morning, it’s time to BEND THAT KNEE to Comrade Bernie.

My pre-Super Tuesday power ranking:

1. Sanders – only question now is whether he gets the 1,991 delegate majority or whether he goes into the convention with a plurality and the joyous opportunity to have superdelegates undemocratically steal his nomination (as Milwaukee burns to the ground).

2. Bloomberg – the only centrist with the money to go all the way to the convention.

3. Biden – top current centrist who is only popular with black Boomers in the South, but will exit after deal made with Bloomberg sometime in March.

4. Buttigieg – only staying in because the Deep State told him to, but will exit Tuesday night  [EDIT: ooops, just found out he's gone! Yay!!!]

5. Warren – fake progressive who is only staying in to keep Sanders from winning Massachusetts or running away with California delegates, but will exit Tuesday night.

6. Klobuchar – only staying in to keep Sanders from winning Minnesota, but will exit Tuesday night.

7. Gabbard – doing her Sanders VP tour, energizing the independents and libertarians!

Edited by KayAdams

@Doc Brown ok coffee breath Hortons for fast food....it is shocking how many nutballs here will not own up to the 23 trillion debt about to click over to 24 just upon accruing interest....China is building 2 aircraft carriers per year paid for with USA interest payments...

If you have grandchildren you really want them learning the 25 thousand letter Chinese alphabet instead of John Lennon Imagine Atheism songs ? Peace is Green and war is xian like xmas on borrowed TRILLION$

Bootyguy is out.  This is good for Biden.

https://apnews.com/9a141437992adacfa6dfa04c4e197b86

WASHINGTON (AP) — Pete Buttigieg, who rose from being a small-town Midwestern mayor to a barrier-breaking, top-tier candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination, is ending his campaign.

Three people with knowledge of Buttigieg’s decision told The Associated Press he began informing campaign staff on Sunday. They were not authorized to speak publicly and requested anonymity.

His campaign said Buttigieg will speak Sunday night in South Bend, Indiana.

The decision came just a day after one of Buttigieg’s leading rivals, former Vice President Joe Biden, scored a resounding victory in South Carolina that sparked new pressure on the party’s moderate wing to coalesce behind Biden.

Edited by bdutton

25 minutes ago, KayAdams said:

I’d like to say that it’s none of my business how others spend their money. But we don’t live in an anarcho-capitalist society. If you like living in the US and you like the Constitution, then right away you are relinquishing some level of autonomy for the paid service of national defense. I also assume you like the fire department, law and order, transportation, maybe the post office, etc… so as you see, you are already acknowledging that not all economic goods and services you consume should necessarily be subject to the whims of the free market. The key argument from the progressive left is that we should spend the next 8 months revisiting the following goods and services in a similar way:

1. Health care: Is tying health care access to employment status reasonable? Should people suffer or die if they didn’t choose a high-enough-paying job or if they have struggled finding decent employment? Should families go bankrupt over health issues? Are other modern industrialized countries around the world doing it better and cheaper?

2. Education: most of us are okay with providing free public education from kindergarten up through high school. Why is that? What about child care and pre-k care during the most critical development stages in a human’s life? What about college and trade school? Are the outrageous costs of higher education prohibiting working class families from attending? How is student loan debt affecting the rest of the country’s economy?

3. Environment (air, water, public land ownership, energy extraction, etc.): this could get pretty contentious if you don’t believe in global warming, but at the very least I hope you acknowledge that our use of air and water can have negative economic externalities that require government oversight.

Analysis of Biden’s win and overall strategy: Hillary won SC roughly 75% to 25% in 2016, so it was always going to be a major struggle for Bernie to do much better in a Dem voting pool that skews old and centrist. This time, Biden won about 50% to Bernie’s clear second of 20%, with 4 other viable candidates in the race taking the remaining 30% (interestingly enough, exit polls had people in favor of Medicare For All at 50%, even though Sanders is the only candidate currently supporting it). So Biden did succeed in part one of his questionable strategy, which was to put almost all his campaign resources into securing his SC firewall. Part two of his strategy is now to ride this momentum and his “most electable” narrative into Super Tuesday and beyond. The major problem here is that Biden has practically no ground game or advertisements running in the Super Tuesday states! He put too many of his resources into winning SC. Fellow centrist Bloomberg is also in the race and eating into Biden’s vote percentage, and Bloomberg at least has the ads and a (sloppy but well-paid) ground game he put together at the last minute. Meanwhile, over here in Bernieland, we have a large, well-funded, well-organized grassroots ground game installed all over the country that has been extremely active since last February. The Super Tuesday polls largely reflect our superiority in organization.

Understanding Biden’s Appeal to Centrist Dems: Yeah…I can’t do this one. Is it his amazing public policy platform of not being Trump and being friends with that one black guy from a few years back? His extensive history of government bribery and crony capitalism? His approval of the student no-bankruptcy bill? His support of the prison-industrial complex? Or his decades-long history of warmongering neoconservatism? Or his decades-long history of middle class-destroying neoliberalism? His potential for cutting social security? Or maybe it’s simply the large crowds he attracts at events? His highly organized campaign organization flush with cash? The way he challenges voters to fights and push-ups? The way he creeps up behind young women? Perhaps it’s his stellar debate performances? His dementia-fueled gaffes? His soft racism? His youthful exuberance? The sexual allure of his pearly white dentures? His excellent parenting of Hunter? What is it?! In any case, I find the centrist Dems’ affection for Joe Biden absolutely adorable. Like a kitten hugging a puppy. Awww…some think he actually has a chance! How precious. Have your fun for a couple more days, centrist Dems. But by Wednesday morning, it’s time to BEND THAT KNEE to Comrade Bernie.

My pre-Super Tuesday power ranking:

1. Sanders – only question now is whether he gets the 1,991 delegate majority or whether he goes into the convention with a plurality and the joyous opportunity to have superdelegates undemocratically steal his nomination (as Milwaukee burns to the ground).

2. Bloomberg – the only centrist with the money to go all the way to the convention.

3. Biden – top current centrist who is only popular with black Boomers in the South, but will exit after deal made with Bloomberg sometime in March.

4. Buttigieg – only staying in because the Deep State told him to, but will exit Tuesday night.

5. Warren – fake progressive who is only staying in to keep Sanders from winning Massachusetts or running away with California delegates, but will exit Tuesday night.

6. Klobuchar – only staying in to keep Sanders from winning Minnesota, but will exit Tuesday night.

7. Gabbard – doing her Sanders VP tour, energizing the independents and libertarians!

I understand that Bernie has gotten 2 bills passed in his illustrious career in office. What were those post office names again? There isn't a candidate on the Left that can beat Trump.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You're comparing a guy who's extemporaneous nature has him making up words with a presidential candidate who thinks his son was a AG, thinks he's running for the Senate, and calls women horse-faced liars.

Trump ain't that smart, but Biden is borderline dementia.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bdutton said:

Bootyguy is out.  This is good for Biden.

https://apnews.com/9a141437992adacfa6dfa04c4e197b86

WASHINGTON (AP) — Pete Buttigieg, who rose from being a small-town Midwestern mayor to a barrier-breaking, top-tier candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination, is ending his campaign.

Three people with knowledge of Buttigieg’s decision told The Associated Press he began informing campaign staff on Sunday. They were not authorized to speak publicly and requested anonymity.

His campaign said Buttigieg will speak Sunday night in South Bend, Indiana.

The decision came just a day after one of Buttigieg’s leading rivals, former Vice President Joe Biden, scored a resounding victory in South Carolina that sparked new pressure on the party’s moderate wing to coalesce behind Biden.

It just makes it more likely that nobody will win a majority of delegates going into the convention as more candidates will now be able to hit that 15% threshold needed to acquire delegates in each state this Tuesday.  The "2nd choice" polls for Buttigieg supporters are pretty evenly distributed across the remaining candidates.  By the way, Joe Biden is the youngest male remaining in the race which is hilarious.

1 hour ago, Golden Goat said:

BUTT OUT!

Should be the NYP's main headline, butt won't be.

They should hire you.  That's brilliant.

“Pete believes this is the right thing to do for our country, for our party and for Americans across the country eager to heal our divided nation, defeat this president and work to fix our broken politics," a campaign aide said ahead of Buttigieg's expected comments Sunday night.

Pete Buttigieg ends his campaign

So, in other words, if a Democrat isn't elected president, count on the Democrats continuing to try to 'break' the political system. They're just little children at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

You're comparing a guy who's extemporaneous nature has him making up words with a presidential candidate who thinks his son was a AG, thinks he's running for the Senate, and calls women horse-faced liars.

Trump ain't that smart, but Biden is borderline dementia.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

10 hours ago, Chandemonium said:

In addition to the fakeness, I wonder if there’s some bias against her among dem primary voters, conscious or otherwise, because of her voice and her slim build. I know this stuff shouldn’t matter in a perfect world, but when I see her and hear her talk I think of a frail old lady. It’s not like it is with Biden’s constant mental errors where I would have concerns about her capability to do the job because of it, but it isn’t the image you want the leader of the most powerful nation on Earth to project either. It’s not just a man vs woman thing because I don’t get the same vibe from Klobuchar. 

Nope. It's because she is lame.

8 hours ago, GG said:

I guess you couldn't find a t-shirt that fit over that head?

BTW - good bye Mayor Pete

Whoa. Not what I expected. I thought if a third candidate was still standing after Tuesday, it would  be him.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

3 hours ago, 32ABBA said:

Nope. It's because she is lame.

That’s exactly what I’m getting at though, is to what extent do factors other than her phoniness and bad ideas contribute to her overall lame image? I’d say it’s at least more than zero, since even people who agree with her policy stances still think she’s lame. 

Bernie is way too radical to beat Trump. I'm starting to think Biden could be a figurehead  with a viable VP and promise to listen to expert advisers and read from a script ,no off the cuff. I still think Trump will win but depends on the economy.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

If you ever saw the Candidate, that would give you a hint. 

Perez basically told him that if he stayed in, his future in the next Dem campaigns would be toast.  

• Like (+1) 1

Sen. Amy Klobuchar canceled a rally in her home state Sunday night as several dozen protesters chanted “Black Lives Matter,” “Klobuchar has got to go” and “Free Myon” — referencing the case of a black teenager convicted of murder after a flawed police investigation.

According to videos that emerged on social media, the senator’s rally was set in St. Louis Park, Minn., at a local high school. WCCO-CBS Minnesota reported that the protesters made their way into the rally and on stage, where they continued chanting. After a 40-minute delay, the rally was canceled.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/01/amy-klobuchar-rally-canceled-protests-118571

10 minutes ago, ALF said:

To me it looks like a 3 person race ,  Sanders,  Biden  and  Bloomberg .  I would guess a brokered convention

i think it most likely Warren drops after Super Tuesday. however, with that being said... i think it could hinge on what exactly happens Tuesday. if Warren is so low in the outcome that her continued presence won't matter in terms of the amount of support Bernie garners, i think it is all but a given. if she manages to put even a noticeable dent in Sanders delegate count, then she will be supported to continue as the DNC/establishment wants nothing more than a contested convention to deny Bernie. the only way they can achieve that objective, rationally, is for him not to have enough delegates on the first count so that the Super Delegates in the second count get to deny it for him. remember, she just got $14mm in unaccounted for support after NH it will continue if it is a viable road.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ALF said:

To me it looks like a 3 person race ,  Sanders,  Biden  and  Bloomberg .  I would guess a brokered convention

A communist, a republican, and a senile sacred cow from the corrupt dem establishment. 

Tell me again the party isn't in flames. 

None can win.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

A communist, a republican, and a senile sacred cow from the corrupt dem establishment. 

Tell me again the party isn't in flames. 

None can win.

All depends on the economy in Nov

• Like (+1) 1