Star and Shaq Stats Alarming

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I'm not really that interested in spending my time doing that. You can stress over this if you want.

Star's job is to eat up blockers. His success will not be captured in tackle stats alone.

Maybe he sucks, maybe he doesn't. Using tackles to determine that is short sighted.

Good day.

So you have time to make an uninformed assumption and tell us all about it but you can’t take 60 seconds and google a handful of DTs? Sounds legit. 

14 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Our coach doesn’t understand modern nfl.  I think 8 of the top 10 run defenses last year didn’t even make the playoffs.

if anything, you should want teams to run the ball.  A lot harder to score.  And if Star is so good that teams can’t run the play, all they have to do is spread the field and he is unplayable.  

Again, he is fine at what he does.  But paying that much to a blocker eater in a passing league is a stupid use of money.  As much as Dareus stop caring at the end, you could use him on 3 downs. 

Star doesn't just help the run defense, he helps the pass defense as well.  Lorenzo Alexander stated this in camp that Star prevents the QB from stepping up in the pocket.

This gives Hughes and himself more opportunities to get to the QB when they come around the edge.

Star is a two gap player. He is suppose to tie up blockers, and make sure the Oline doesnt get to the second level. The bills Oline got gashed against the Packers because of their LBs not because of the line. In a gap scheme Defense the DLine is not designed to make a lot of tackles. They are basically defensive blockers. 

Linval Joseph already has 16, Snacks Harrison has 19.

Star has 4, he is on pace for a grand total of 16. 

Now maybe we should look at their contracts and ?. The disparity tells me he isn’t around the ball as much as his peers. Not a surprise, a lot of folks were down on this signing. 

Williams for the Jets is known for 2 gaping and he has 3 times the amount of tackles and a sack. 

Edited by Commonsense
  • Like (+1) 1

Shaq was a Doug Whaley pick which means he has a strike against him.  Still he has played better after his injury.  Not to the level of his draft status, but at least he’s better than what he was a season ago

4 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

We did notice Ted Washington playing, a lot, and Dareus as well when he decided to put some effort. I don't notice Star so far in 4 games. Good DL, simply not worth that much money and cap space. He is paid superstar level money. 

You might be right.  But this is what happens with free agent signings.  Because of the demand, you end up overpaying for players.  The same thing happens with a Charles Clay.  He has put up decent numbers but not compared to what we pay him.

Star probably is not worth his deal, but he’s been average so far.  

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

You might be right.  But this is what happens with free agent signings.  Because of the demand, you end up overpaying for players.  The same thing happens with a Charles Clay.  He has put up decent numbers but not compared to what we pay him.

Star probably is not worth his deal, but he’s been average so far.  

Well that's the (legit) gripe most fans have with Star, and as you point out, Clay. The superstar pay with OK performances. If they had average NFL wages nobody would pay much attention. It's more a criticism of the management than of the players.

And that makes us wary about the upcoming seasons with lots of cap space: will the Bills's Brass make the right choices? And for those who to tank the season, sure higher draft dicks are good, but so is being an attractive team for free agents to sign here without having to offer the moon!

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillsMagic1 said:

Star Lotuleli and Shaq Lawson stats are alarming to say the least. Star, our big signing has 2 tackles and one assist and Shaq , Rex's #1 pick a few years ago has 3 tackles and one assist all season long.  To me both have to go. We can't win with this lack of production to say the least.  What we saw in either of these two is beyond me. 

To me, you have to go

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He actually started the game in week 1 and played pretty well. 

Everyone somehow forgot that.  He was active and played fast, sideline to sideline.  He's fragile, going back to college, and will probably always be on the injury report, but the guy is on a rookie deal, let's not pull another Whaley/Darby trade and dump a guy who can play but counts peanuts against the cap, just so we can use the draft pick we get for him to sign another player to do the exact same thing.

5 hours ago, Commonsense said:

That is a less productive player making much more money. Sure he has responsibilities outside of making tackles but you can’t dismiss his lack of productivity just because of that.

You don't understand the Kool Aid drinker mentality.  It can't possibly be a bad singing, the Bills NEVER make bad signings.

Edited by PeterDude

5 hours ago, BuffaloBillsMagic1 said:

Star Lotuleli and Shaq Lawson stats are alarming to say the least. Star, our big signing has 2 tackles and one assist and Shaq , Rex's #1 pick a few years ago has 3 tackles and one assist all season long.  To me both have to go. We can't win with this lack of production to say the least.  What we saw in either of these two is beyond me. 

Shaq has played in 2 games “all season long”

6 hours ago, BuffaloBillsMagic1 said:

That is brutal. Now we have Shaq playing DT also. 

6 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Is he role not to tackle anyone? 2013 was his best year as a pro and it’s how he got name recognition around the league.

2013 42 total, 11 assisted, 3 sacks

2018 he is on pace for 16 total, 8 assists and zero sacks. 

That is a less productive player making much more money. Sure he has responsibilities outside of making tackles but you can’t dismiss his lack of productivity just because of that. 

Correct- DT’s are expected to clog/take on 2 at once- they are also expected to TACKLE! Him and Shaq dont make plays. Unfortunately, neither are going anywhere. I said early on that Shaq shouldnt have made the roster- but here he is, stinking up the joint to the point he has been moved inside- super- a 270 lb’r playin a hybrid DT.