Star and Shaq Stats Alarming

Star Lotuleli and Shaq Lawson stats are alarming to say the least. Star, our big signing has 2 tackles and one assist and Shaq , Rex's #1 pick a few years ago has 3 tackles and one assist all season long.  To me both have to go. We can't win with this lack of production to say the least.  What we saw in either of these two is beyond me. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Zerovotlz said:

Heard a rumor in KC that you all might trade Lawson to us.  Sign me up.  He can’t be worse than what we have here.  

He is a solid DE who plays the run well but has disappointed as a pass rusher and wasn’t worth the 1st round pick. Not sure what his trade value is but I imagine the Bills would be open to dealing him.

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You do not understand Star's role.

Is he role not to tackle anyone? 2013 was his best year as a pro and it’s how he got name recognition around the league.

2013 42 total, 11 assisted, 3 sacks

2018 he is on pace for 16 total, 8 assists and zero sacks. 

That is a less productive player making much more money. Sure he has responsibilities outside of making tackles but you can’t dismiss his lack of productivity just because of that. 

• Like (+1) 2

Shaq has only played 2 games and has been decent. He is Ryan Denney 2.0. He is pretty good against the run and has positional versatility. He just isn’t a pass rusher. He is a fine rotational DL just not worth the 1st. 

Star was a mistake IMO. I’m not worried about his tackle stats. That’s just too much money to pay for a guy to eat blockers. Jonathan Hankins was out there until the start of the regular season before signing a $2M deal. He’s a better player than Star IMO. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsMagic1 said:

Star Lotuleli and Shaq Lawson stats are alarming to say the least. Star, our big signing has 2 tackles and one assist and Shaq , Rex's #1 pick a few years ago has 3 tackles and one assist all season long.  To me both have to go. We can't win with this lack of production to say the least.  What we saw in either of these two is beyond me. 

Watch the games.  Hughes and crew are getting pressure because Star is occupying blockers.  Our blitzes are effective because there are holes to go thru because they are putting a hate on him.  Lawson well he was hurt and has limited playing time.  But he does have a few pressures. 

• Like (+1) 1

Criticizing Star for not making tackles is indeed misunderstanding his role. His job is to occupy a guard and a tackle and that's it. If he's not doing that it's a problem. Space eaters take a lot of heat from fans. Leonard Williams was regarded by many as the best player in his draft class. The Jets were so lucky he fell to them etc...In the Jets D his job is pretty much the same as Star's with the Bills. Many there now hate him because he's not making tackles/ getting sacks. There's a lot of doubt about whether the team will even exercise his fifth year option. At least the Bills have a good pash rushing DE to benefit from Star's work. The Jets don't have that.

if Williams hits the FA market it will be interesting to see whether he lands a generous contract, and/ or whether his new team changes his role and assignments. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

Criticizing Star for not making tackles is indeed misunderstanding his role. His job is to occupy a guard and a tackle and that's it. If he's not doing that it's a problem. Space eaters take a lot of heat from fans. Leonard Williams was regarded by many as the best player in his draft class. The Jets were so lucky he fell to them etc...In the Jets D his job is pretty much the same as Star's with the Bills. Many there now hate him because he's not making tackles/ getting sacks. There's a lot of doubt about whether the team will even exercise his fifth year option. At least the Bills have a good pash rushing DE to benefit from Star's work. The Jets don't have that.

if Williams hits the FA market it will be interesting to see whether he lands a generous contract, and/ or whether his new team changes his role and assignments. 

You point out something that might be lost without a big picture perspective- hughes is worthless if they can regularly double team him. Star is useful in making others around him have one on one matchups but if they do not win one on one then he is useless.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

Watch the games.  Hughes and crew are getting pressure because Star is occupying blockers.  Our blitzes are effective because there are holes to go thru because they are putting a hate on him.  Lawson well he was hurt and has limited playing time.  But he does have a few pressures. 

Untrue

• Haha (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

You do not understand Star's role.

This has become the automatic response every time someone criticizes Star, yet I have not seen one person who says this back it up with anything substantial. 

3 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

Heard a rumor in KC that you all might trade Lawson to us.  Sign me up.  He can’t be worse than what we have here.  

It'd be odd for KC to want him considering he's a 4-3 DE. Played out of position a lot in Rex's 3-4 and didn't do well.

And yeah, as others have mentioned, Lotulelei isn't here to rack up big numbers. And Lawson, if he can show he's comfortable switching between DT and DE on certain downs then he'll have value as a versatile player they can move around on the DL.