In 21 games with McDermott, we have been blown out 6 times

That’s not good. We also now are 10-11 under this regime.

I was happier then words can describe when we ended the drought last year.  It had to be done. The drought was a dark cloud hanging over the Bills and it needed to be destroyed. We all deserved to see the playoffs and McDermott got us there. For the 2017 season alone, I am forever grateful.  I also realize this was supposed to be a step back and a“rebuilding year” Still, I cant help but feel

concerned. Being blown out in more the 1/4 of your games is not supposed to happen. Losing is one thing. Being non competitive in almost 30% of your games is a whole different animal. Im not sure how that will change. I am willing to give this guy the benefit of the doubt because of last year, but I am growing more nervous by the week. 

• Like (+1) 5

Considering the roster I think they are pretty competitive.  There might be 4 true starters on this team that aren't over the hill.  You have to give it time.  This isn't going to fix itself overnight.  This roster is a dumpster fire and that is on purpose.  Whether or not they are good at building a roster in the next couple years, I don't know.  This isn't the time to panic though.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Considering the roster I think they are pretty competitive.  There might be 4 true starters on this team that aren't over the hill.  You have to give it time.  This isn't going to fix itself overnight.  This roster is a dumpster fire and that is on purpose.  Whether or not they are good at building a roster in the next couple years, I don't know.  This isn't the time to panic though.

I just don’t think it was bad when they got here. That’s my issue. I think Beane made it way worse for seemingly no reason. As if, these guys would rather lose with their guys then win with someone else’s.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

This is a good post.  It's one thing to lose, it's another thing to constantly get your ass handed to you.

I am really starting to wonder how much more I can take.  Between the game being worse than it ever was and the never ending sucktitude of the Bills, why do I even bother watching.  

There is a different guy every week throwing 5 or 6 TD's.  Four guys are currently on pace to break Peyton Manning's passing record.  Refs are progressively having a larger impact on games.  The game is pure trash right now.  Goodell has let the actual game on the field go to ****.  I think I might be done with the whole thing soon.

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I just don’t think it was bad when they got here. That’s my issue. I think Beane made it way worse for seemingly no reason. As if, these guys would rather lose with their guys then win with someone else’s.

Because its a roster purge.  The guys on the roster aren't necessarily "their guys."  Its more like filler until they do get their guys.  This team has been through the 6-10 to 8-8 years for over a decade.  It gets the team nowhere because they have almost no chance at getting any stars in the draft.  If all they can do is get around average guys then they have to spend the hell out of the salary cap on just a few players.  This team has been there, done that. 

Maybe you don't like watching this team be a dumpster fire... truth is I don't like WATCHING it either. At the end of it though, I know its for the better.  Next season they ought to have a really good draft and pick up some FA's as well.  We should be able to be competitive from game to game next year.  That's assuming Allen progresses and this staff knows what its doing.

The following year they should be able to start competing for real.  If not then its time to fire some people.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

Because its a roster purge.  The guys on the roster aren't necessarily "their guys."  Its more like filler until they do get their guys.  This team has been through the 6-10 to 8-8 years for over a decade.  It gets the team nowhere because they have almost no chance at getting any stars in the draft.  If all they can do is get around average guys then they have to spend the hell out of the salary cap on just a few players.  This team has been there, done that. 

Maybe you don't like watching this team be a dumpster fire... truth is I don't like WATCHING it either. At the end of it though, I know its for the better.  Next season they ought to have a really good draft and pick up some FA's as well.  We should be able to be competitive from game to game next year.  That's assuming Allen progresses and this staff knows what its doing.

The following year they should be able to start competing for real.  If not then its time to fire some people.

Problem is McCoy is closer to calling it a career and 95 will be gone.

Edited by Helpmenow

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It wasn't.

Fans here and McBeane will make you think everything Whaley did was !@#$ing awful. He wasn't great or even a good GM, but he wasn't awful either and found some solid players to build around. 

He found some solid players.  He overspent on a lot of others.  Most of our cap space was tied up in like 5 guys.  Hence the purge.  You cant win when you are against the cap and the best you can muster is 8-8/9-7.  That leaves you crap shoot draft picks and no room on the cap to get anyone else.  That's where this team was at two years ago and last year.  They had to fix that crap.

1 minute ago, Helpmenow said:

Problem is McCoy is closer to calling it a career and 95 will be gone.

Im ok with that.  They aren't part of the future.

I've pretty much wrote off this season. willing to give them this off season and draft but if 2019 still resembles the prior two, time to pretty much give up on this regime and franchise all together. I'm not going to be up to another carousel of gms/coaches/players, getting too old for it. yesterdays game was tough to watch but when you gut the roster and try and build it back up, games like yesterday can be expected.

as it looks right now, this is about a 5 win team?

Coaching on the offensive side of the ball has been a major problem.

Let's get a young, innovative offensive mind in here and let that person run the offense.

McDermott is just another "run and set up a nice punt and hope to win 14-10" type coaches that will never get anywhere until he gets with the times on offense.

I do think there is hope in Josh Allen, because they DID choose him over Tuh-rod, who one would think would be their ultimate QB: do nothing, never turn it over, and allow the punter to have a nice game. But they went for a guy who can throw the ball a mile, which suggests they want to have a modern offense someday.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
Just now, no name said:

I've pretty much wrote off this season. willing to give them this off season and draft but if 2019 still resembles the prior two, time to pretty much give up on this regime and franchise all together. I'm not going to be up to another carousel of gms/coaches/players, getting too old for it. yesterdays game was tough to watch but when you gut the roster and try and build it back up, games like yesterday can be expected.

as it looks right now, this is about a 5 win team?

I would be very surprised if they get to 5 wins.

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

He found some solid players.  He overspent on a lot of others.  Most of our cap space was tied up in like 5 guys.  Hence the purge.  You cant win when you are against the cap and the best you can muster is 8-8/9-7.  That leaves you crap shoot draft picks and no room on the cap to get anyone else.  That's where this team was at two years ago and last year.  They had to fix that crap.

Im ok with that.  They aren't part of the future.

Then you’ll need a running back who is hall of famer worthy as a replacement

25 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I was happier then words can describe when we ended the drought last year.  It had to be done. The drought was a dark cloud hanging over the Bills and it needed to be destroyed. We all deserved to see the playoffs and McDermott got us there. For the 2017 season alone, I am forever grateful.  I also realize this was supposed to be a step back and a“rebuilding year” Still, I cant help but feel

concerned. Being blown out in more the 1/4 of your games is not supposed to happen. Losing is one thing. Being non competitive in almost 30% of your games is a whole different animal. Im not sure how that will change. I am willing to give this guy the benefit of the doubt because of last year, but I am growing more nervous by the week. 

I don't even particularly like McD, but this franchise has sucked forever, and I don't think the blowouts offset the fact that he lead the team to their first playoff appearance in 2 decades.

Especially considering that he took over a team that Wrex Wryan had almost systematically dismantled.

Edited by OJ Tom

2 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

Not really... Just draft a guy in the 3rd or 4th round who can give you a couple years of production then let him walk in free agency and do the same thing over again.

RBs are a dime a dozen.

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Do you happen to have stats showing the percentage other teams are blown out or perhaps a baseline of what constitutes a blowout?  Otherwise this stat means absolutely nothing

Let’s just say for the sake of argument the games I mean are 

Saints

@ Jets

Chargers x2

@ Ravens

and yesterday

games that feel over before the half.

il just go off the top of my head and say for reference the Pats probably haven’t had 6 of them total in the last 17 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, no name said:

through your eyes only mac.

getting blown out is embarrassing. keeping it close all game and losing it at least makes it watchable.

What’s the out come? Another mark in the loss column 

• Like (+1) 1

This is a definite concern.  I thought Rex was a bad coach, but we never really had these kinds of completely one-sided contests when he was coach, and definitely not as frequently.  Even under Gailey.

Even with a low talent level, it’s still mystifying how poorly prepared and unmotivated the team seems for some games.  Then for others, they’re dialed in.

I keep hoping that the blowouts become fewer and more far between.  

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, mead107 said:

What’s the out come? Another mark in the loss column 

so, you could sit and watch blowout games and just shrug it off as "points don't matter".

you're right though, it's a loss so doesn't matter if it's by a point or 45, it's an L.

thing is, when you root for a team that loses more than it wins games, watching a close loss would a better watch then a blowout in my opinion, that was my point.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

No you don't.  There are running backs all over the league getting the job done.  What they need is Allen to progress into a franchise QB and some receivers that can help the kid out.

• Like (+1) 2

I stopped watching at halftime yesterday. What I accomplished during the second half:

* Laundry

* Meal preparation

* Workout

* Helped elderly women cross the street

*Burned ants with a magnifying glass

#winning  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Let’s just say for the sake of argument the games I mean are 

Saints

@ Jets

Chargers x2

@ Ravens

and yesterday

games that feel over before the half.

il just go off the top of my head and say for reference the Pats probably haven’t had 6 of them total in the last 17 years. 

Well its the Pats/Brady/Belichick so....  Detroit this season and KC last season.  Jumping to the back end when Belichick got hired in 2000.  00 Detroit, 01 Miami, 02 GB, 02 Jets, 03 Bills, 05 Indi, 05 KC.  I stopped there.

I mean blowouts happen even to the best of them.  Belichick had Bledsoe then Brady.  We had Tyrod Taylor, Peterman, and now Allen with no one on the roster to help him.

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They were up against the cap two years ago. They wouldn't be now even if they kept some of those players. 

They didn't have to fix anything. It's a made up narrative so they have the freedom to bring in THEIR guys. Aka former Carolina Panther players. 

Wow... a new staff wanting to bring in their own guys.  Imagine that.  They want guys that fit what they want to do.  Wooptie we have a few Panther players on the team.  End of the world.  Do I agree with every move they made? No, but so what.  Give them a chance to build the team in their vision.  If they still suck then pull out the pitchforks.  They are just getting started.

Keeping a couple guys accomplishes what?  A late round draft pick?  They should have sucked last year and they would have had a better draft this past season instead of spending picks to move up.

45 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Awesome post, thanks!

24 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I want to feel like the people in charge are capable of identifying good players and producing a game plan capable of competitive football

Yes.. I would like to feel that too... I didn't feel it when Rex and Whaley were here and not convinced about it now either...

The current staff seem to have a good game plan for some games but cant do it week in and week out... 

Allen is going to have his ups and downs however ... and any game plan is going to ultimately depend on how he plays...

I do think its interesting though that a lot of people make comments like "stop going 8-8, blow it up and get a Top 3 pick! ".. or "let your rookie QB learn on the field rather than on the bench"...

Its easy for these comments to be made at the time but the reality is then sitting through ( at least one) season like this one is looking like.. not much fun ...

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Their guys... whom aren't as good as the guys they sent packing, but hey, process right? 

They'll get at least three years. Time will tell, but it doesn't look good now and the offensive over haul they most likely have to go through is overwhelming. They basically need new starters at EVERY position outside of QB, and LT. 

Will be interesting to see what they do. Obviously a lot of those issues can be masked by Allen progressing into a good NFL QB. But the learning curve seems steep and they aren't doing him any favors this year to quicken that curve. 

Who did you want to keep?  Woods who wanted to go back home?  Watkins who would have cost a fortune for limited production?  They lost Wood and Incognito.  Those were big blows to the line, but not their fault.  Who else?  Oleary?  Reilly?  Oft injure Goodwin?  Some of those guys may have helped a bit, but how much?  At what cost?  Nobody else they traded away would matter.

I pretty much agree with the rest of your post.

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The blowouts are my greatest frustration. They reflect poor coaching. lack of leadership and a bunch of quitters. Sure, talent  (or lack of) is a factor but there are serious other issues when a team is blown out fairly regularly.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Who's the poster who keeps the running tab of all Bills coaches with winning %?   I need to see where this stacks up.

btw....as long as we're pulling out meaningless stats, McD has made the playoffs an NFL record 100% of his seasons as HC.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BillsWest said:

Try being a Bills fan AND a SF Giants fan.  Both rosters need work.  The SF Giants on Sunday almost lost by as much as the Bills did, and that's baseball!

Are you kidding with the SF Giants?  Are you really devastated that they haven't won a world series in 4 years and only won three in the last 9?  Don't try to draw an equivalency between the Giants "struggles" and the Bills.

Edited by Epstein's Mother
  • Like (+1) 1