Q: for the outraged:

19 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

the Front Office had nothing to work with cap wise after the prior regimes terrible decisions.   I expect us to be much better next year with a ton of cap space (WR, OL, secondary---we did a good job getting Hyde and Poyer!).   Plus 10 picks.  Edmunds will be a stud, Allen hopefully has more than 0.5 seconds to throw, and will have someone who can catch the ball on the receiving end.  

I think realistically we need to wait another 1-3 years to see how this FO is doing.   Not great for the impatient.  I've been here longer than the entire drout.  But I have a feeling this FO will get it done.  

Its a cop out to pretend this regime has no hand in the cap situation. 

How much cap did we commit to benjamin, Coleman and kerley (ignoring picks) for instance

or could the dareus/Starr situation be handled differently? 

How they managed glenn or Tyrod/McCarron  is in part on them too. You can’t just throw your hands up and give them a 3-5 year free pass

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

When you can’t run the ball or throw the ball to open the run you lose. To me the biggest momentum swing was Allen’s pick which he will learn from. Take a sack or audible to a run and let the clock run out and call a TO to go into halftime down 3-13 instead of 0-16. That’s a 6 point swing that better QB understanding or coaching resolves and makes it a tighter game. 

Or just throw it out of bounds like anyone with half a brain would. That play was horrendously stupid. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Agent 91 said:

I wish people would just uhhhhh understand a team this young is going to be less than stellar for AT LEAST this year. All the process crap aside. We need to let the youngsters mature!

Relax

For 20 years and counting

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

How much cap did we commit to benjamin, Coleman and kerley (ignoring picks) for instance

How they managed glenn or Tyrod/McCarron  is in part on them too. You can’t just throw your hands up and give them a 3-5 year free pass. 

Agree with this. I am not worried about the ugly season I am more concerned by the lack of convincing personnel moves. 

51 minutes ago, Agent 91 said:

I wish people would just uhhhhh understand a team this young is going to be less than stellar for AT LEAST this year. All the process crap aside. We need to let the youngsters mature!

Relax

Team is not that young. The QB is young. The rest of the team is above average in age, collectively . 

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

How they managed glenn or Tyrod/McCarron  is in part on them too. You can’t just throw your hands up and give them a 3-5 year free pass

So let's fire em all, am i right?

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

For 20 years and counting

Dont make me kill myself. But I think we have to suck with youngsters to see a benefit later. I bu honestly question the notion that giving carte blanche to McDermott was the smartest thing to do. I am in the MAJOR minority that thinks that making the playoffs last year set us back. He bought himself time AND people are actually deeply in debted to him for breaking the slump. We need to shift from gratitude to demanding more.

1 minute ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Team is not that young. The QB is young. The rest of the team is above average in age, collectively . 

Correct, but the key positions of QB, MLB, CB and LT (maybe even DT w Harry) are very young and that the core we’re building around.

Another draft and FA with actual money and this team will look very different next year at this time, IMO...

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

Asked this in the gameday thread, but I'll ask it again here for those who are completely outraged by the outcome this month...

Q: How many of you predicted 0-4 to start the season?

Corollary Q: If you predicted 0-4, why are you outraged at 1-3?

no, i didn't bet 5k on the Packers -10. should i have?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

That's the real truth. I was basically referencing a nucleus. When I speak I mean Allen Edmund's Johnson, Jones... even Lewis. The real nucleus is young my brother

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Heitz said:

Correct, but the key positions of QB, MLB, CB and LT (maybe even DT w Harry) are very young and that the core we’re building around.

Another draft and FA with actual money and this team will look very different next year at this time, IMO...

it might.  not sure how good beane is yet at selected fa's

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Joe, do you believe this is the best, wisest WR corps you can field to help your rookie QB? Seriously?

No I don't. And I don't think it's their final answer at WR, either. If you do, then you're blinded by idiot-rage.

I also understand there wasn't going to be significant effort put into the offense this year. You can disagree with that approach all you like, but it's their plan and I'm willing to give them 3 more years to have it all together.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Getting beat and looking like you don’t have a clue on offense are a completely differently thing.  This offense has shown no signs of hope for 3 out of 4 games 

it's okay. we will probably have 2 more quarters of suckitude next week before we play lights out for the following 6 quarters of football. we will still be 2-6 though, if that is any consolation.

Edited by Foxx

5 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

This is a misconception, the team is "old" by something like .25 years 

you missed the point.  The poster said they are young.  They are not.  All the teams have a similar age distributions due to the salary cap and rookie contract rules.  trying to declare the bills at a disadvantage based on age is just wrong. McDermott has that as his go to excuse though. 

Edited by PlayoffsPlease

Just now, joesixpack said:

No I don't. And I don't think it's their final answer at WR, either. If you do, then you're blinded by idiot-rage.

I also understand there wasn't going to be significant effort put into the offense this year. You can disagree with that approach all you like, but it's their plan and I'm willing to give them 3 more years to have it all together.

No. I'm talking about now. This year. To help his development. I'm not expecting wins. I know next year is a bigger push. That's obvious. But this is hurting him. 

9 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

So let's fire em all, am i right?

Totally what I said. Clearly I am the over emotional one in this thread.

that said, I’m not canning them just for the sake of making a move but I’d be open to some soft back channel conversations with an exceptional offensive minded head coach that likes allen, if one comes to be out there and available 

20 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Our next 4 games are the Titans, Texans, Colts and Patriots on MNF.

I think 2-2 at least happens there, maybe better.

Back half of the season is 5 home games.

This season is going to consist of a lot of ebbing and flowing with some of the young guys at critical positions we have.

This next game I think will be telling. Home against an average team.

Looking at the schedule the path to the playoffs is there. 3-1 against the afc south, finish 3-1 against the nfc north, sweep the jets and dolphins. Its doable, but I need to see some consistent offense

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

So it's all just about the lashing out. Catharsis because the feels are hurt.

Got it.

Not at all. I don’t rank football as a major importance in my life. 

My point is that the game plan or execution or talent were so over matched that the offense wasn’t able to score, which is a disappointment. Are you upset at the word disgust?  I didn’t want to say angry because I’m not. Perhaps we can decide on another word. Disappointed? Let down? Embarrassed? Flummoxed? Upset? Pick a word. Whatever works. 

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

No. I'm talking about now. This year. To help his development. I'm not expecting wins. I know next year is a bigger push. That's obvious. But this is hurting him. 

Said this in another thread:

I'd elevate teller, and the guy they just picked up. Bench Miller. Trade Benjamin for a bag of balls, and pick any street FA up you can.

Then gameplannning-wise I'd have daboll focus on short quick underneath stuff with 2-3 15+ yard shots a game.

And a WHOLE lot more running.

Also, take the sheet away from Frasier and give it to McD.

3 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

This next game I think will be telling. Home against an average team.

Looking at the schedule the path to the playoffs is there. 3-1 against the afc south, finish 3-1 against the nfc north, sweep the jets and dolphins. Its doable, but I need to see some consistent offense

Me too.

This is clearly a team discovering themselves.

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

Asked this in the gameday thread, but I'll ask it again here for those who are completely outraged by the outcome this month...

Q: How many of you predicted 0-4 to start the season?

Corollary Q: If you predicted 0-4, why are you outraged at 1-3?

because when we predicted 0-4, we were resigned to being horrible. first pick in the draft horrible. then last week happened, our qb played like he had an iron will and was defiant. our defense played lights out. and we were given hope. hope is an awful, awful thing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Joe, do you believe this is the best, wisest WR corps you can field to help your rookie QB? Seriously?

I know that if I was going to spend a 2, 3, 7 in picks and commit $14m in cap space this year I’d say Benjamin, zay, Coleman and kerley were an exceptional use of those resources. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

I know that if I was going to spend a 2, 3, 7 in picks and commit $14m in cap space this year I’d say Benjamin, zay, Coleman and kerley were an exceptional use of those resources. 

It's incredible. 

Everything we heard was we don't want to hurry him. They started Nate freaking Peterman and realized after one half that was nuts. Then out of nowhere they cut a veteran WR for a DT they don't play "because of numbers." 

Zay, Holmes and Foster are awful. KB is playing awful and uninspired. I've never seen anything like it. Even last week when we played well none of the WR did. 

23 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

that said, I’m not canning them just for the sake of making a move but I’d be open to some soft back channel conversations with an exceptional offensive minded head coach that likes allen, if one comes to be out there and available 

Hmmmm... have someone in mind NoSaint? 

26 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

You also have a crappy QB coach who is a WR coach. No veteran backup like a Luke McCown that Josh can get in game advice from. He's going to get real time knowledge from Nate? (I'm talking experience here). As well as an OC who has never developed a QB. And a HC who knows nothing of offense. 

So let's not give him WR or an OL.