Why does Allen always try to spin to his blindside?

BigDingus

Why does Allen always go straight to spinning to his blindside when under pressure?

Even when it seems easier to just step up, or throw the ball away, or take off running in another direction... he seems to default to spinning into his blindside and immediately into the hands of an unseen edge rusher every time. 

Is that just how he's being taught? I don't know why that would be, but maybe there's something to it im missing. 

Along with having a better internal clock, throwing the ball away more often, recognizing blitzes better, and improving the O-line, I feel not defaulting to that spin every time will help negate a ton of negative plays, and keep us in manageable 3rd down situations. 

Worked for Romo for years. I love the move when executed properly, just gonna take some time to master. 

On a side note can we start a kickstarter for Romo to mentor Allen? I think he really needs some vet guidance. Dak was great when he had Romo in his ear. 

• Like (+1) 1

Because he has terrible pocket presence.  It was one of his biggest weaknesses in college.  He routinely runs when there is no pressure, and bails unnecessarily.  

Add in that he can't read defenses fast enough and it results in him trying to run when he shouldn't have to.  

Right now he's like a more athletic EJ

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Probably because he’s done it successfully dozens of times in high school and college so he is used to doing it. He will eventually learn it won’t work in the NFL. This was start 3 for him. I’d imagine he will improve and learn over the next few years. If not, he won’t be here along with McBeane so we will have some other qb to criticize. 

• Like (+1) 1

I swear, they should have an entire course in pocket presence and awareness.  He has to really improve in that area.  He’s way faster than most NFL QBs and should not be getting sacked this much.  It’s called step up, and/or quick release. Or throw it away

16 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Why does Allen always go straight to spinning to his blindside when under pressure?

Even when it seems easier to just step up, or throw the ball away, or take off running in another direction... he seems to default to spinning into his blindside and immediately into the hands of an unseen edge rusher every time. 

Is that just how he's being taught? I don't know why that would be, but maybe there's something to it im missing. 

Along with having a better internal clock, throwing the ball away more often, recognizing blitzes better, and improving the O-line, I feel not defaulting to that spin every time will help negate a ton of negative plays, and keep us in manageable 3rd down situations. 

Because he might suck.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

EJ spin move. Learned from the master.

Its eerily similar to EJ's. Plus we saw today Josh has no internal clock. Yes a lot of sacks were on the OL but many weren't. Obviously this kid has a ton to learn and won't have the luxury Aaron had learning behind Favre for years....

Allen is still learning the intracasies and nuances of the QB position that's the risk the bills assumed drafting him ..highest ceiling but an unfinished product . He still doesn't know when to use zip and touch and step up etc ..hopefully it's something hell learn . 

35 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I agree.  He had chances to slide right or left but failed to do so.