Bills vs. Packers Post Game Thread

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The question still stands.  What then?

I want him to start the whole year but if he has more games like this I would draft another first round QB next year. I’m tired of bad QB play. Hopefully, he proves he is the franchise this year.

2 minutes ago, billspro said:

That was worse than a typical rookie game 

Let's break this down...

1) Did the OC put the QB in a place to succeed?

2) Did the OL win battles when numbers were in their favor?

3) Did receivers do their job even adequately?

Josh Allen was and is not blameless in this loss. There were some things he could have done. But, that being said, questions 1-3 are all answered with a resounding "NO."

When that's the case, it's not hard to see why this happened.

• Thank you (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

That is true. When he had time. 

(In garbage time) 

dont make it out that I’m being over critical cuz I’m not 

You only mentioned the QB, so you are in my view. That facts are it was a team loss and the entire offense needs to shoulder some blame. Not just the QB. Yes, the QB had a bad game but when the offense finally did make a first down the drive was killed by some moron getting a penalty.

The line not being able to make a 3 yard first down in two rush attempts early. This sets the stage for the OC losing confidence in the run game and starts calling more pass plays.

The best player on offense in Shady McCoy had only 5 rushing attempts all game and his rush average was 4.8 yards per carry. Shady should be seeing 25 touches a game. He is also the Bills best receiver catch percentage wise. Just lame! 

The offensive gameplan was hapless. Pretty much played into Pettine’s hands. Hardly any serious attempt to run, leaving Allen exposed to whatever pass rush Pettine decided to dial up. Little wonder he played as poorly as you can expect a rookie QB to.

The O-Line was garbage, but that also is, in part, down to poor preparation. 

I find it ridiculous that most people around here could have come up with a better plan, simply through having seen what he did as DC here previously.

Edited by Buddo
Typo

16 minutes ago, billspro said:

I want him to start the whole year but if he has more games like this I would draft another first round QB next year. I’m tired of bad QB play. Hopefully, he proves he is the franchise this year.

Yeah, everyone knows that if a QB doesn’t shine right out of the gate as a rookie it means he sucks and the solution is to keep drafting QB high until you get one who can function without an OL, RB, and WRs.

Oh, waitaminnut!

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

You only mentioned the QB, so you are in my view. That facts are it was a team loss and the entire offense needs to shoulder some blame. Not just the QB. Yes, the QB had a bad game but when the offense finally did make a first down the drive was killed by some moron getting a penalty.

The line not being able to make a 3 yard first down in two rush attempts early. This sets the stage for the OC losing confidence in the run game and starts calling more pass plays.

The best player on offense in Shady McCoy had only 5 rushing attempts all game and his rush average was 4.8 yards per carry. Shady should be seeing 25 touches a game. He is also the Bills best receiver catch percentage wise. Just lame! 

Shady only getting 5 touches is totally on Dabol 

• Like (+1) 1

On another note, I don’t think Darnold or Rosen really look any better than Allen today. Hopefully he can learn from this game. One thing I didn’t like was that it kind of seemed like he gave up in the fourth quarter by his demeanor on the bench. I wish he would have been looking at the Tablet and trying to figure out a way to win. The game was not out of reach.

1 hour ago, jimmy10 said:

And that pick for Graham’s TD was just awful. New England at least has the sense to make them look accidental and smooth. 

I know complaining about the refs is the last refuge of a scoundrel, but that was just so damn frustrating. 

That pick play set the tone.  Dude looked like Karl Malone dishing to Stockton out there.  Refs weren't calling jack squat.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Troy Aikman went 1-14 IIRC. 

R E L A X 

1989 says....idk...you might be having a h.s. reunion coming up......if anyone is still around....lol

ooh and wait ...wasn't it just a mere 20 years ago where p. manning had his awful rookie year?

Edited by billsredneck1

All I know is, when Allen looked like he hurt his right hand, I preferred he played left handed rather than have Peterman come in. 

Tough game for the kid, as it was for most everyone today. 

Daboll layed an egg big time. 

There will be games like this for young QBs, especially when they don’t have too many options out there. It’s over and it’s all about how he gets off the mat.

On to the Titans. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Buddo said:

The offensive gameplan was hapless. Pretty much played into Pettine’s hands. Hardly any serious attempt to run, leaving Allen exposed to whatever pass rush Pettine decided to dial up. Little wonder he played as poorly as you can expect a rookie QB to.

The O-Line was garbage, but that also is, in part, down to poor preparation. 

I find it ridiculous that most people around here could have come up with a better plan, simply through having seen what he did as DC here previously.

Totally agree, I knew the packers LBs are decent run stoppers and Matthew's is pretty much just a pass rusher now days but, shady is faster and better than all of them, dump offs, screens, jet sweeps weren't even attempted today. Allen was forced as a rookie to make progression throws against very good DBs with the worst WR core in the league and with a blitzing LB under his chin every play. We have a good power bruiser with ivory and a playmaker with shady doing nothing on the offense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I know this is rebuilding, but it seems like so many of these guys are not going to be a part of the future.  Make some trades for some picks?  Cut some guys and give some other teams practice squad guys a shot?  Cut Benjamin...sign Tanner Gentry.  So many other guys (OL and WR) that are not going to he here in a year that could get cut.

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

All I know is, when Allen looked like he hurt his right hand, I preferred he played left handed rather than have Peterman come in. 

There will be games like this for young QBs, especially when they don’t have too many options out there. It’s over and it’s all about how he gets off the mat.

On to the Titans. 

frazier laid an egg...big time. mcd out of respect chewed his ass at half time of the la game, told him how he wanted things and gave him the ball back. he did that showing respect for his elder who had ,had a reasonable rep. throughout the years.....but hey..

if mcd wants to stay mc coach he will have to take charge of sh,t that ain't working and frazier's defensive playcalling is where to start. two blitzes? really?

geeze, they seemed to work out great.....maybe we can do that more. mcd needs to take the defense over period.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsredneck1 said:

frazier laid an egg...big time. mcd out of respect chewed his ass at half time of the la game, told him how he wanted things and gave him the ball back. he did that showing respect for his elder who had ,had a reasonable rep. throughout the years.....but hey..

if mcd wants to stay mc coach he will have to take charge of sh,t that ain't working and frazier's defensive playcalling is where to start. two blitzes? really?

geeze, they seemed to work out great.....maybe we can do that more. mcd needs to take the defense over period.

I agree Frazier got outcoached, too. IMO, Daboll was even worse, though. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, K-9 said:

On to the Titans. 

not so sure it was on the OC.

Allen had a rough time behind an O line that struggled.

Allen showed he does not trust them.

Allen took too long to release the ball.
O line kinda blows

and the receivers ?
anyone notice Josh played like Tyrod a bit ? arrghh

Edited by 3rdand12

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

not so sure it was on the OC.

Allen had a rough behind an O line that struggled.

Allen showed he does not trust them.

Allen took too long to release the ball.
O line kinda blows

and the receivers ?
anyone notice Josh played like Tyrod a bit ? arrghh

All good points and I am certainly not putting it ALL on Daboll, but it starts with him and he failed to solve Pettine all afternoon; just had no answer schematically. Add in overmatched, inexperienced, and unskilled players, and I’m not surprised at the outcome. 

7 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

agreed. we get one nice blitz that worked.

Overprotective of his secondary who were not in position enough.
Last week Bills look well prepped. this week they missed all over the place.

Rodgers always has quick release from any spot and after the first run Frazier knew his knee was fine.

52 minutes ago, snamsnoops said:

On to the next game?

I feel like every rep will help, so long as he takes what he needs to learn from them and not let it destroy his confidence when he gets knocked down—all of the great ones had to take their lumps and he is no exception to that rule. Mama said there’d be days like this, right?

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

All good points and I am certainly not putting it ALL on Daboll, but it starts with him and he failed to solve Pettine all afternoon; just had no answer schematically. Add in overmatched, inexperienced, and unskilled players, and I’m not surprised at the outcome. 

i won't argue against your point for sure .
McCoy with so few touches and not sticking with Ivory longer. Poor game all around on offense.

gotta look at the tape though ....

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I agree Frazier got outcoached, too. IMO, Daboll was even worse, though. 

i won't argue that, but this is 2018 and i would respect a coach for switching qbs in a game out of hand. for one, if nate would have come in and started rolling with quick strikes, we may have had a chance to win. and in case anybody doesn't know, wins gets you to the playoffs.

josh was rattled beyond recovery and pulling him wouldn't/couldn't have hurt his progress any more than letting him get eaten up at the end of the game. i respect a coaching staff that will do whatever it takes to win....not one who wants to coddle players and prepare a loser's postgame speech while they're on the sidelines.

Just now, 3rdand12 said:

i won't argue against your point for sure .
McCoy with so few touches and not sticking with Ivory longer. Poor game all around on offense.

gotta look at the tape though ....

The tape never lies.

5 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I feel like every rep will help, so long as he takes what he needs to learn from them and not let it destroy his confidence when he gets knocked down—all of the great ones had to take their lumps and he is no exception to that rule. Mama said there’d be days like this, right?

He dealt with frustration for sure.
was obvious

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The tape never lies.

as long as they learn from  it

: )

3 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i won't argue that, but this is 2018 and i would respect a coach for switching qbs in a game out of hand. for one, if nate would have come in and started rolling with quick strikes, we may have had a chance to win. and in case anybody doesn't know, wins gets you to the playoffs.

josh was rattled beyond recovery and pulling him wouldn't/couldn't have hurt his progress any more than letting him get eaten up at the end of the game. i respect a coaching staff that will do whatever it takes to win....not one who wants to coddle players and prepare a loser's postgame speech while they're on the sidelines.

disagree. no point in puling Allen at this juncture. let himlearnordietrying

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

agreed. we get one nice blitz that worked.

Overprotective of his secondary who were not in position enough.
Last week Bills look well prepped. this week they missed all over the place.

Rodgers always has quick release from any spot and after the first run Frazier knew his knee was fine.

two that i saw.but ...oh and that's another thing....not playing press. how in the hell can you not bump these guys at the line and throw rogers's 2 second throws off?

explain to me why our db's backpeddling at the snap against aaron rogers is a solid plan? frazier sucks ....his game plan sucks... and mcd should have never given him back the reigns. sure, i get it, you thought it was gonna be ok , but you gave him a whole game to revert to the results we got in the la game. mcd has to either take over or replace frazier now.

if this season goes down in flames because of defense, that's on sean mcdermott and no one else...period.

Edited by billsredneck1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsredneck1 said:

I disagree that Allen was “ rattled beyond recovery” as I got more of a sense that he was trying to make something happen rather than his nerves getting the best of him. Pettine kicked his ass, pure and simple, imo. 

Your point about making a change is understandable,  but there is also a benefit to having your young QB play adversity and getting reps, regardless. I’d like to share your optimism about Peterman, but I just can’t. Imo, it would have been far worse and we would truly have seen a QB get rattled beyond recovery as we’ve seen from him already. I think the only time we will see Peterman is if Allen gets hurt.

13 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

I don't agree as near the end of the game when Pettine stopped blitzing Allen had time in the pocket he looked very stable, confidant and threw with zip on a few throws. 

Besides, pulling a rookie QB for any reason other than he is injured could destroy that QBs confidence. Will he  then be looking over his shoulder with every mistake? 

We fans knew this preseason was going to be a very rough year with players on the O line that needed replacing, lousy WR corps. So many predicted 4-12 and yet are bitching anyway. 

So I just read this barrel of laughs by our intrepid Pats fan who doubles as the ESPN Bills beat guy—my question is, what personnel moves could he possibly be referring to?? Our roster is what it is and I don’t know how you do anything major in the short term (unless by eventual he means next year) as it’s not like we are about to enter into a free agency signing fiesta this week.

rodak_mike.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Mike Rodak ESPN Staff Writer 

The Bills seemed to move closer to eventual personnel changes around rookie QB Josh Allen after being shut out by the Packers, 22-0, for the first time since 2008. Allen was sacked seven times and received little help from LeSean McCoy (five carries, 24 yards) or Kelvin Benjamin (one catch, 34 yards on six targets). Allen finished 16 of 33 for 151 yards and two interceptions, including an ill-advised heave late in the first half. Buffalo gained only 145 yards, their fewest since 2006 and only the fourth time they have gained 145 or fewer yards since 1980.

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12