Are Mcdermott and Beane the worst group to run the bills since pollian ?

2 hours ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

they could have drafted a qb with thier original pick in 2017. Instead they wait a year and spent a ton of capable to get a qb.  Dismissing what will be at best a 4-12 year is folly .  Spending their limited funds on defense instead of helping out thier young qb is very questionable.   

I'll support you bud.. Yep. Don't create a lopsided roster where the 2000 Ravens couldn't win with this offense 

I mean Beane is.. probably not McDermott he hates tank talk and took Whaley's scraps and made playoffs. Beane's got us so bad he's the worst until he proves he can dig us out of the hole.. and he doesn't show the track record to do it.

23 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Also, what the heck is going on here?

Is this guy arguing with himself?

Tremendous.

This thread delivers.

Meant for it to be a comment on his post. 

Way to contribute something substantial.

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe I’m not reading this OP correctly, but also seems to indict Polian.  He is the best GM we ever had and in the HOF for what he did in Buffalo, Carolina, and Indy.  As far as Beane, he wasn’t the GM when we passed on Maholmes.  Allen needs time.  I fell like it’s a broken record, but Rodgers had an average to below avg record his first year as well as P Manning, one of the top QB of all time, claiming his first season at 3-13 taught him more than any other of the 18 years in the league.

Allen has a very good shot at success in the future.  Get used to this is a rebuilding year.  He has crap talent for skill players, and line.  Also a terribly performing defense that was supposed to be top 5 this year.  I can only hope now that McD is running the fpdefense they show up.  With experience our offense can get better.  I don’t know what to do about the line unless we get some older guys on rentals like Jhari Evans.  

• Like (+1) 1

Again.....they rid the team of talent in favor of players their either know or are of the "blue collar" mold.

You've done a poor job when players you discard are contributing all over the league.

And don't give me the cap garbage. If you have good and young talent you figure out a way. 

I think it’s close with 2009 (Jauron fired mid-season, Peters traded, Turk Schonert as the pop-gun offense/Trent Edwards no-huddle getting fired right before the season started, getting flicked off by Bud Adams in Tennessee) but Nix’s 2010 was the worst I’ve ever seen the Bills run organizationally. 

- 70-year old Nix chosen to be the GM after Ralph and Russ “scanned a list of names” and had him interview against John Guy. 

- Hiring Chan Gailey as Coach, who was out of football when Nix called.

- Switched the defense to a 3-4, then spent the majority of the draft on players that fit that scheme. Troup, Carrington, Batten, Moats.

- Traded Lynch for 5th Rounder

- Extended Chris Kelsay and thought he could play outside linebacker. 

- Drafted Spiller 9th overall and he got 78 carries in his first year. 

- Kept Trent Edwards as the starting QB. 

- Signed Cornell Green to be the starting RT. 

- Signed worn out linebackers - Reggie Torbor, Akon Ayodele, Pierre Woods, Audra Davis to “teach” the 3-4 with George Edwards as DC. 

That 2009/2010 period we felt as rinky-dink as an organization as you could possibly be. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

If you Factor in the descion to pass on Mahomes , the current state of the roster, the fact that they made a major investment in Allen , who is far from a sure thing, the jettisone of any player whith the slightest quirk in his personality this is the wost group to run the organization since Pollian took over.  

ask me in 15 months

12 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

The 80 million is sure nice to have but let's face facts,you need some savings for down the road...meaning sooner or later you will have to pay your stud draft picks.Build through draft is what I say ,since most FA's have some kind of baggage but still end up getting overpaid.I sure hope the Beane Counter doesn't approach next year's "new season" as if he got the keys to the chocolate factory handed to him.I expect to see a very solid team in 2020,if things are still in rough shape at that time..he has to go.jmho.

You can't be so shore about that.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I wonder if some realize how silly they look with this stuff

The first managment group to even TAKE A TEAM TO THE PLAYOFFS IN FIFTEEN YEARS

Let that sink in for a second.....

Let's keep things in perspective.  Yes we made the playoffs but we weren't a true playoff team.  We were a bad team that took advantage of other teams mistakes early in the yr. Matter of fact we were 1 of the top 5 worst teams statically to ever make the playoffs.

3 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

Again.....they rid the team of talent in favor of players their either know or are of the "blue collar" mold.

You've done a poor job when players you discard are contributing all over the league.

And don't give me the cap garbage. If you have good and young talent you figure out a way. 

And don't try to sway me with facts or an explanation, I belligerently stand by my opinion! This is the NFL A + ? = Wins.  Not my job to understand "?"

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I think it’s close with 2009 (Jauron fired mid-season, Peters traded, Turk Schonert as the pop-gun offense/Trent Edwards no-huddle getting fired right before the season started, getting flicked off by Bud Adams in Tennessee) but Nix’s 2010 was the worst I’ve ever seen the Bills run organizationally. 

- 70-year old Nix chosen to be the GM after Ralph and Russ “scanned a list of names” and had him interview against John Guy. 

- Hiring Chan Gailey as Coach, who was out of football when Nix called.

- Switched the defense to a 3-4, then spent the majority of the draft on players that fit that scheme. Troup, Carrington, Batten, Moats.

- Traded Lynch for 5th Rounder

- Extended Chris Kelsay and thought he could play outside linebacker. 

- Drafted Spiller 9th overall and he got 78 carries in his first year. 

- Kept Trent Edwards as the starting QB. 

- Signed Cornell Green to be the starting RT. 

- Signed worn out linebackers - Reggie Torbor, Akon Ayodele, Pierre Woods, Audra Davis to “teach” the 3-4 with George Edwards as DC. 

That 2009/2010 period we felt as rinky-dink as an organization as you could possibly be. 

I agree with that completely.  It felt like Ralph couldn't give away a NFL GM / Head coaching job.  We were badly overpaying nobodies in both extensions and FA and putting Trent freaking Edwards in a wide open spread offense.

I THINK McBeane has a plan, flush out guys who were expensive/not difference makers/aging out of the window.  Reset around a cheap young QB / LT / CB / MLB.  Open up a ton of cap space and add an influx of talent in their primes in FA.   Ride a conservative gameplan, play defense first football and run the ball.

I think two things happened that threw the plan off.  First was Wood's medical retirement / Richie's freakout.  That wrecked the oline.  We were committed to getting a young "franchise" QB and lacked the draft resources to shore up the imploded Oline.  Second was underestimating Preston Brown / overestimating Edmunds.  When the heart of both your offense and defense is rookies, you are going to lose a lot.

I think thos all goes back to the Pegulas being new owmers.

At the end of 2014 this team was just a few tweeks from being very competitive. Marrone decided to leave bevause they wouldnt let him shop for the groceries. Not a big deal, except they hired a coach who decimated the team. 

Move forward 2 years and instead of hiring someone to usr the talent. They make the same mistake and hire a guy that decimated the team.