Josh is rough around the edges but man kid has potential

10 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Yes, when they're reasonable.

Problem is, virtually no one here is reasonable the past few weeks.

Guys like TYTT I disagree with daily, but I respect his opinions since they're at least well thought out.

Good post! Could not agree more, we need to regain the quality of this board!

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Now just think how this kid would have looked with quality offensive linemen who know how to block properly and know their responsibilities.  

It's hard enough to watch those O linemen whiff on blocks. It's quite another to see them block the wrong man so a defender comes free and untouched. 

McCoy getting tackled in the backfield as soon as he touches the ball at times. The Bills receiver corps is another sad story. 

The free rushers were on him and maybe Groy.  Pre-snap issue.

4 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Now just think how this kid would have looked with quality offensive linemen who know how to block properly and know their responsibilities.  

It's hard enough to watch those O linemen whiff on blocks. It's quite another to see them block the wrong man so a defender comes free and untouched. 

McCoy getting tackled in the backfield as soon as he touches the ball at times. The Bills receiver corps is another sad story. 

Ingram was a beast today

19 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The flaws he has always shown are still prevalent.  

Most disconcerting is his accuracy, which remains a problem.

The narrative in pre-season was that he was improving in that area with better footwork.

That almost never works.

It’s the big question mark. He essentially did all you could ask today. Now comes the hard part: getting better more weeks than not 

11 minutes ago, Acantha said:

Honestly, I think he was exactly what the tape says he is.  He's got a huge arm, pretty good athleticism, and is pretty tough.  He also needs to work on accuracy and is going to need a bunch of time to adjust to the NFL.  He has very little feel for pre-snap reads and using those to throw timing routes.  That will likely come with experience (lots).

Given how bad the team is as a whole, and the complete failure of Peterman, I think this time in the game is invaluable to Allen.  I don't expect much, but it will all help in year 2+ as the team is built around him.

One more thing, he HAS to stop pulling the ball down, turning and running sideways to the LOS.  This is where the NFL defensive speed is KILLING him.  I know the Oline sucks and is putting him in bad positions, but he has to keep his eyes down field, body in position to throw, and move sideways.  As soon as he pulls that ball down and starts to turn, the defense has already closed.

Great post!

15 minutes ago, DrDonut said:

Accuracy problems? Besides the throw to Demarco I thought he was fine

Not really.  He had a few other throws that weren't great.  I have been an Allen guy from the beginning.  He was perfectly fine today.  Not great but exactly what I expected.  Made more throws than TT ever did and more INT than TT ever did.

This board/organization didn't want TT.  Well this is what you get.  It's fine.  If he gets better and starts having more 2-3 TD 1 INT games over the season he will be fine.

4 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Not really.  He had a few other throws that weren't great.  I have been an Allen guy from the beginning.  He was perfectly fine today.  Not great but exactly what I expected.  Made more throws than TT ever did and more INT than TT ever did.

This board/organization didn't want TT.  Well this is what you get.  It's fine.  If he gets better and starts having more 2-3 TD 1 INT games over the season he will be fine.

Tuhrod’s lack of interceptions was a problem actually.  

• Like (+1) 2

Footwork and decision making are the two main components of what drove his inaccuracy. The decision making will improve with experience hopefully (it should and Allen is a smart hard working guy, no reason to believe it won't) but the footwork is where it becomes interesting. 

Allen seemed to be improving in that regard in camp and in pre-season. But he is under duress a lot and in a different environment now in the regular season and while it still seems he has improved from college we aren't seeing quite the same progression he showed in camp and pre-season. 

I think the pressure is impacting that but as other posters pointed out he had some inaccurate throws on plays when he wasn't pressured. I think the whole intense experience of starting against good defenses for the first time is impacting him a bit. 

My hope is that as he just plays more he is able to process the game better and he starts to show more progression in his footwork. I also hope that the defense and the talent around him improve so that he isn't playing from behind and trying to do too much. 

1 minute ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Given what he has to work with along with his inexperience,  he is doing very well.  He will continue to improve.   Those that complain about his accuracy, how have the other rookie qbs been with their accuracy?  He has made some very nice through, some very bad.  His accuracy will improve with experience.  This harsh judgement from our football "experts". Are a bit premature.   Give him till at least 8 starts before you are ready to throw in the towel.  Especially the 'fixing accuracy almost never works". Give me a break.

• Like (+1) 1