Did Vontae Davis retire at halftime? Yes, yes he did!

YoloinOhio

28 minutes ago, JPP said:

OH Boo F***g Hoo......cry me a river loser.....okay so it kinda sounds like he got a spiritual awakening of sorts in the middle of a football game (for whatever reason)......well does the same spirit tell you to do the right thing and give back every cent you conned out of this organization??

You must be from Canada eh?

9 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

This struck me as very odd and probably tells you where his head was at.

For Davis, that game-day morning felt no different from any of the others he had experienced in his nine previous NFL seasons. Waking up in a hotel, eating, reviewing notes, “I felt normal,” he said.

Why the hell did he wake up in a hotel for the home opener? Unless this is just really poorly written that tells me he was already checked out (possibly literally).

Yeah, college and pros usually do it. 

• Like (+1) 1

There's really nothing new here.  We get it; he had a spiritual epiphany mid-game and knew his time was done.

That's fine.  How he responded to that is not what's fine.

He could have played another half of football; he could have feigned an injury, pulled himself out of the game, and stayed on the sideline supporting the team....only to announce the retirement in a more dignified manner at a better time.  Perhaps the next day, or whenever that would feel right.

Could have been handled in many acceptable ways.  

The way he did it is BS.

• Like (+1) 3

I don't blame him for retiring or his reason's for doing so, but this is a ton of rationalization for a really ill-timed, poorly executed retirement.  Why he retired is perfectly fine.  The how is the problem.  Finish the game out, tell coach you need to play the other guy and say I'm here if you need me until the game is over.  Then after the game approach the team with some respect and let them know your decision and sorry for letting them down and taking a roster spot from someone who could have been committed to the team the entire year.  It's not a regular job, and people make a lot of money doing it, but it is also a job that requires everybody looking out for each other for health and success.  That's why its a big deal and why his teammates and coaches have every right to be pissed at how, not why.

I've read a lot of "sports writers" and fans write about it's comparable with a soldier going AWOL. It's not.

What he did is, to me at least the same as a guy walking out on his family on Thanksgiving day, right after the Turkey comes out of the oven. 

In either scenario there is nothing inherently wrong with giving everyone a fresh start if your heart is no longer in it. But there is a time and a place to take the the drastic action. 

If he was done, fine and wish him well. But to just walk out when you know your team and friends you have made since here are playing shorthanded to begin with is just spineless. Hope he has a nice new life though. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Fadingpain said:

There's really nothing new here.  We get it; he had a spiritual epiphany mid-game and knew his time was done.

That's fine.  How he responded to that is not what's fine.

He could have played another half of football; he could have feigned an injury, pulled himself out of the game, and stayed on the sideline supporting the team....only to announce the retirement in a more dignified manner at a better time.  Perhaps the next day, or whenever that would feel right.

Could have been handled in many acceptable ways.  

The way he did it is BS.

Beat me to it.  Same thought.

I'm honestly leaning toward the idea that he planned it. Left off the active roster week 1, only got back due to injury. He saw the writing on the wall and wanted to make a splash on his way out, maybe even an F U to the Bills who deactivated him.

Far fetched maybe, but no more so than a mid game epiphany.

32 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I retire every day on my lunch hour, but then I'm right back to work in the afternoon....just like the rest of America.   Maybe the Bills aren't giving out good enough orange slices at halftime.

But if you had millions in the bank would you go back?  ?

41 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

For Davis, that game-day morning felt no different from any of the others he had experienced in his nine previous NFL seasons. Waking up in a hotel, eating, reviewing notes, “I felt normal,” he said.

Why the hell did he wake up in a hotel for the home opener? Unless this is just really poorly written that tells me he was already checked out (possibly literally).

It's pretty much SOP.  Teams want the players in one place, a place with ready access to the field maybe, have team meetings and final prep the night before.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

The hotel creates a setting where you can control Saturday night dinner and meetings, a curfew, Sunday morning meetings and food. Coordinated transportation. It’s standard issue. I’d suggest asking to learn more before raging.