Did Vontae Davis retire at halftime? Yes, yes he did!

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, BurpleBull said:

There's gotta be more to the story. 

Right?

Yeah a Vet player on a team that at the time was being out scored 75-9. Probably said yeah I aint putting my body through this. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

The LBer that retired in Camp. 

And also while I dont agree with what Vontae did and likely will not play another down in the league. I can understand it. Did he try to come back one more year to play on a team that at the time he walked was being outscored 56-6

Well, if he's retiring, we ought to thank him because he won't have to be paid (and can the Bills claw back any signing bonus money?).  So I'm expecting a kind of "umm, I didn't really retire" thing tomorrow, as soon as he talks to his agent.

19 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

They also showed that he gets injured every single season.  Including this one already.

Agreed.

Point was that our defense was very good with gaines in, and not so good without.

Not that he was the "most important piece" but more the fact that our defensive scheme relies on TWO good corners.

Tre is very very good, Davis, unfortunately, is not, and it was a carryover from last year when gaines was out (and replaced by a subpar corner) to this year with davis being a subpar corner.

Was more just pointing out that it's not surprising that the pass D struggles with a subpar corner opposite tre (be it davis, or whomever)

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Again I dont agree with it. I would never do it. But i can still understand it. 

I can understand retiring this coming week, addressing the team, telling them I can't do it anymore.  That I would respect.  I can't understand doing it in-game.

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

Well, if he's retiring, we ought to thank him because he won't have to be paid (and can the Bills claw back any signing bonus money?).  So I'm expecting a kind of "umm, I didn't really retire" thing tomorrow, as soon as he talks to his agent.

More dead cap. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

The LBer that retired in Camp. 

And also while I dont agree with what Vontae did and likely will not play another down in the league. I can understand it. Did he try to come back one more year to play on a team that at the time he walked was being outscored 56-6

Retiring in camp I can understand.

Retiring at halftime of a game?   Maybe you can understand it but sure I don't understand it,  and I don't want to understand it, and I would not want someone like that on my team in any capacity.  So in the long run this is addition by subtraction. 

It is not acceptable no matter if we outscored 106-6. 

Just now, JoeF said:

I can understand retiring this coming week, addressing the team, telling them I can't do it anymore.  That I would respect.  I can't understand doing it in-game.

When you look how a majority of NFL players are me first guys. Yes I can understand it. Agree with it is different than understanding where the decision likely comes from. 

6 minutes ago, Peter said:

Boldin had a reason?

Did you actually buy his save the world reason?

Did you still buy it later in the season when there were rumors he wanted to sign with another team but the Bills would not release him?

Did not say I bought the reason.  I said he had on and he did not quit in the game.   huge difference. 

I don't care about the rumors either. 

6 minutes ago, Nelius said:

There's also the parallel weirdness of McD calling plays starting 2nd half. Could be related somehow.

Frazier's defense isn't exotic and doesn't allow for much aggression.

When I heard of the move by McDermott, I simply thought he was trying to place his stamp on the defense and get the guys playing up to his standards.