Confirmed: Bills to start rookie QB Josh Allen vs. Chargers

East TX Dan

6 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

It's clear the Bills were hoping they didn't have to do this this soon but they risk the chance of losing the locker room if they put Peterman back out there. The boys clearly like Allen and play hard when he's in there. It'll force everyone to elevate their game.

He's gonna take so many needless sacks because his internal clock is jacked and he'll throw a bunch of picks but throw him out there and let him sink or swim.

not sure he will even have time to hold onto the ball too long,.  He'll be sacked well before "too long" with this O-line! 

23 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I think whoever lost the competition between Peterman and McCarron were getting traded. 

Very few NFL teams keep 3 guys and we were going to be no different. I don't think Allen has much to do with anything.

If Allen was ready, he's have started last week. 

Baltimore does and 1 of them they drafted n the first round this year.

I f there was ever a year to keep 3, it was THIS year.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I want to believe this was the plan all along. That Beane, Mcdermott, and Daboll all knew that Allen would start due to it being a necessity. Reason i kind of think this might be the case is Tyrod being traded, AJ being traded, and only having Peterman as the 'vet'. Basically the staff and Beane made this happen. If Tyrod was still here he would be Tyrod. Do just enough to keep you around in a game but never take  a game over and win it. AJ would of had games like Tyrod did. Show he can be a competent back up and even win some games, albeit not by his doing going  for 300+ yards and 3 touchdowns. More like a serviceable starter . With Peterman looking as terrible as he did there is no way the Bills start him unless they have no choice. Like i said i want to believe this. Otherwise it means Beane, McDermott, and Daboll got fooled by Peterman in preseason. 

Give me your opinion. I am honestly looking for the other side of it. 

Fooled in preseason sounds about right. I wanted Peyerman to succed but he just sucks. 

7 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I think whoever lost the competition between Peterman and McCarron were getting traded. 

Very few NFL teams keep 3 guys and we were going to be no different. I don't think Allen has much to do with anything.

If Allen was ready, he's have started last week. 

Everything I know about McDermott tells me he thinks through every possible scenario. He knew Allen was one injury or bad game away from starting. If they didn't think he was ready they would have kept a 3rd QB. Peterman won the competition but he was never going to start the whole year unless he took the league by storm. I don't think they wanted to start Allen this early if they could avoid it but they aren't blowing up their plan.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

3. I disagree  For the most part he was on point even in pre season

4 .  Benjamin needs to catch with his hands  Yeah it was a bullet but KB tried to catch it with his gut  Your a professional football player playing WR  Go sit on the juggs machine, no excuses for body catching football

rest I agree with

A number of the young WR on our roster were body-catching footballs all preseason.  Made me wonder if they're being well coached.

McD has made the right move regardless of how bad Allen plays it can’t get much worse than Peterman. If they can run a simplified offense that features 60% run to 40% pass mix this could work. Where they will fail is when the OL gets stupid penalties. It’s time to let Allen play & see where he’s at.

2 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

McD has made the right move regardless of how bad Allen plays it can’t get much worse than Peterman. If they can run a simplified offense that features 60% run to 40% pass mix this could work. Where they will fail is when the OL gets stupid penalties. It’s time to let Allen play & see where he’s at.

Well you have to help your qb which they certainly did not against Baltimore.  The few decent runs McCoy had all got called back.  False starts, plus the many drops.  Whole offense was a hot mess.  Plus the penalty on the punting unit that gave the ravens a 1st down  Team cant overcome all of that right now. I think the Bills will have success running the football.   That should help a ton to keep all the weight from being on Allen.  Can't have 3rd and forever on each conversion.  We likely lose again but should be more of a game (least one can hope)

5 hours ago, xsoldier54 said:

The plan was to ease Allen into the starting role.  They were hoping Peterman could be a placeholder until later on this season, but Allen was ALWAYS going to be the starter.  You don't trade up to number 7 to get a guy and then sit him.  Peterman looked good in training camp and in pre-season, but once again, failed miserably when it counted.  Some guys are just good practice players, but can't handle the pressure when it's game on for real.  Peterman appears to be one of those.  At this point they seem to realize that Peterman is not capable of holding down the fort.  It's really that simple IMO.  Doesn't indicate any flaws with the coaching staff.  The flaw is with Peterman.   

Exactly. Our other 1st Round Pick is starting and he was a lower if unforeseen pick. 

Play the best players. They were way too costly to sit.

51 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

3. I disagree  For the most part he was on point even in pre season

4 .  Benjamin needs to catch with his hands  Yeah it was a bullet but KB tried to catch it with his gut  Your a professional football player playing WR  Go sit on the juggs machine, no excuses for body catching football

rest I agree with

These points are well explained and rational, but to be honest #3 is just flat out wrong, sorry 

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

If they would have stuck with Peterman there would be "fans" calling McD an idiot for being stubborn and taking a chance of losing the locker room for not playing the best player.

I fully expect Josh Allen to struggle.....its going to happen......but he will take the experience he gains this year into the following year and they will (IMO) revamp that offensive line and get him legit targets.........

Josh Allen is not gonna break...he is a strong willed kid who dealt with n OL protection/lack of targets through college....he is biult for this.   He is going to struggle and its ok

Josh is the better athlete. He has shown he can be elusive at times. I hate to say it but Josh may want to take a Tyrod approach to the game and just survive. 

When they pulled Peterman a second time I had a strong feeling it would lead to Allen starting. I am going to try to hype myself up and hope for the best. I want to believe. 

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Exactly. Our other 1st Round Pick is starting and he was a lower if unforeseen pick. 

Play the best players. They were way too costly to sit.

Yes.  Same reason you plug Edumnds into the Mike is why you plug Allen into the starting line up.  By mid camp it should have been obvious that Allen needed to be on the field and how to prepare him to play.  I am beginning to question Mcdermotts offensive leadership and how to create a productive offense.  

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Everything I know about McDermott tells me he thinks through every possible scenario. He knew Allen was one injury or bad game away from starting. If they didn't think he was ready they would have kept a 3rd QB. Peterman won the competition but he was never going to start the whole year unless he took the league by storm. I don't think they wanted to start Allen this early if they could avoid it but they aren't blowing up their plan.

They have appeared to be completely reactionary this year, and its a stretch to think this is some sort of expected contingency out of some elaborate planned out scenarios.  They screwed the pooch with Peterman. They accepted that and moved on. 

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Yes.  Same reason you plug Edumnds into the Mike is why you plug Allen into the starting line up.  By mid camp it should have been obvious that Allen needed to be on the field and how to prepare him to play.  I am beginning to question Mcdermotts offensive leadership and how to create a productive offense.  

Are you basing this on facts? ?

1 minute ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

They have appeared to be completely reactionary this year, and its a stretch to think this is some sort of expected contingency out of some elaborate planned out scenarios.  They screwed the pooch with Peterman. They accepted that and moved on. 

Are you basing this on facts? ?

The facts ours sucked last year and so far this year? The hired, schemes, signings, draft picks and results?