Who are we competing with for the #1 overall pick?

HappyDays

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

The Lions are a lot better than us at QB and at WR. 

I think their defense is about the same and neither of us have a good offensive line. 

Their division is looking brutal though, packers, vikings, Bears all look pretty solid.   They might be a 10 win team in the AFC but in the NFC north they might be a 5 win team. 

1 minute ago, Soda Popinski said:

Their division is looking brutal though, packers, vikings, Bears all look pretty solid.   They might be a 10 win team in the AFC but in the NFC north they might be a 5 win team. 

Agreed, but 5 wins pretty obviously isn't contending for the #1 overall pick. 

Based off week 1, we're the worst team in the NFL and I don't think we have any competition for that distinction. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Agreed, but 5 wins pretty obviously isn't contending for the #1 overall pick. 

Based off week 1, we're the worst team in the NFL and I don't think we have any competition for that distinction. 

I'm not sure if teams will be as bad as the Browns have historically been.  I think 3-13 gets you the 1st overall pick and 5-11 will get you a top 5.   

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

I'm not sure if teams will be as bad as the Browns have historically been.  I think 3-13 gets you the 1st overall pick and 5-11 will get you a top 5.   

The only winnable games I see on our schedule are the Titans and Dolphins at home. 

The Jets and Bears looked better than expected, and the Colts scored a bunch of points. The Lions should get better as they break in their rookie HC. 

Otherwise everyone else on the roster looks like they should blow us out. I thought 4 wins before the season but now I'm not sure we'll get there. 

9 hours ago, PaulieYayo said:

Why? This FO is terrible with draft capital 

Uh I couldn't disagree more. Our picks in rounds 1-3 have been White, Jones, Dawkins, Allen, Edmunds, and Phillips. The only outright bust in that group is Jones. We also found Milano in the 5th round. I guess you could include the 3rd rounder for Benjamin as a bad use of draft capital. But 5 out of 7 top picks have looked good. And we got White after trading down into the 20s which is even more impressive.

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

if indeed we get the number 1 pick, it would be nice if we found out whether or not Allen is going to be our franchise qb. that knowledge could potentially impact what we do with our draft position.

We aren't taking a QB in the 1st round next year regardless of what he does this year. This regime's future is tied to Allen. We should undoubtedly take Bosa or Oliver next year so we can finally generate a pass rush.

12 hours ago, Augie said:

I agree he floats the ball, but who did he have to throw to? And NO, the OLine was NOT good. Josh can rifle the ball, and he got 3 points against mostly scrubs. We suck on offense. Don’t lay it all on Peterman. There’s plenty of blame to go around. 

Analysts who were able to endure the pain of rewatching that masterpiece are chiming in.

The verdicts I’m seeing are

- defense was out coached

- offensive line wasn’t great but did afford time

- WRs were separating

24 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

... We aren't taking a QB in the 1st round next year regardless of what he does this year. This regime's future is tied to Allen. We should undoubtedly take Bosa or Oliver next year so we can finally generate a pass rush.

what i meant was that if we discover Allen is our man then we might possibly want to trade that first pick to obtain more ammunition to plug what is quite likely many holes within the roster. i wouldn't be opposed to taking Bosa but Oliver might be had several slots later.

Edited by Foxx

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

The Lions are a lot better than us at QB and at WR. 

I think their defense is about the same and neither of us have a good offensive line. 

Doesn't matter if their QB and WR are better if their OL is crap.  And their defense is horrible. 

13 hours ago, Philly McButterpants said:

Lions look horrible tonight 

Yeah the WR`s can`t get seperation and when they do they have the slippum on their hands or gloves ;)

The O line looks as bad as the Bills and Stafford will be dead by week 6.

20 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

No one.

This is the 100 meter sprint and we are Usain Bolt

This season is going to feel like a marathon if this team really is this bad :(

Edited by JMF2006

34 minutes ago, mannc said:

Don’t underestimate the Raiders.  Under Chucky’s leadership, they are going to give the Bills a run for their money for that top spot.

worst announcer ever, shapeshifting into the biggest joke in NFL history for the Raiders

totally over his head

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

That may be true but we lack quality and depth all over the field in all 3 phases of the game.

This looks like a bottom 3 team to me.

To the OP's question: Tampa.  I think they have a good shot at being one of the worst teams this year.

Also Denver, Giants, Indy will be bad teams.  Cleveland may not improve that much.

The bolded teams aren't as bad as us. I see no way they are competing for the #1 pick. Each have competant QB's. 

I'd say Tampa, Titans, Browns, Arizona, & Miami. Maybe Jets & Patriots. I say NE because I think Brady goes down with a season ending injury against that elite Jags D. Hoyer stinks.

Edited by Billsfanatic8989

13 hours ago, wppete said:

I think we are a lock for #1 after watching that roster. Who can we get with the #1 pick? 

More good draft picks!  Trade up as we have a lot of issues.  WRs and oline to start with.  

12 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

with Walker injured, they are in huge trouble.  Titans are my bet for #1 pick next year.  

Week 5 bills vs titans, oct 7.  Could be one of the most meaningful games of our season.  Lol. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

I would do unspeakable things for a QB to rise to the top this college season and we get a haul like the browns did for RG3

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a partner in this draft looking for a QB.   Most teams have one established right now or are in the developmental stages of one.    Lots of young guys out there.   The Saints traded for Bridgewater which was super smart.   Who is going to be in the QB market?   

Not sure why so many are suggesting cleveland.  Recent years records or tyrod hate?  They have the number 1 drafted qb and ton of other picks - several year's worth. 

Tyrod is consistent and can get them at least 5 or 6 wins if left in all year.  I'd say that's their floor.  We won't see 5 wins. 

2 minutes ago, sleeby said:

Not sure why so many are suggesting cleveland.  Recent years records or tyrod hate?  They have the number 1 drafted qb and ton of other picks - several year's worth. 

Tyrod is consistent and can get them at least 5 or 6 wins if left in all year.  I'd say that's their floor.  We won't see 5 wins. 

1) its the Browns. 2) Mayfield was number 1 because Cleveland made him #1, which says it all. 3) They might have 2 players drafted in the top 3 rounds still on their team from the last decade. 4) 1-31.  5) Browns failing is slightly more consistent than the sun rising.   Although I agree, this year they might make some noise.

7 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a partner in this draft looking for a QB.   Most teams have one established right now or are in the developmental stages of one.    Lots of young guys out there.   The Saints traded for Bridgewater which was super smart.   Who is going to be in the QB market?   

Dolphins, Bucs, Broncos, Jags, Cowboys and maybe the Giants.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Dolphins, Bucs, Broncos, Jags, Cowboys and maybe the Giants.

Have to see what the Broncos do with Keenum, I don't think the Cowboys are going to give up on Dak, the fans love him.   Bucs are going to go with Winston unless he gets himself suspended again which isn't out of the question he's a meathead.   

Jags had a shot at Bridgewater in free agency, Marrone doubled down with Bortles, why I have no idea, actually I do.....same reason McDermott went with Peterman again...hubris.    

The Dolphins I could see, the Giants, not so sure, if they wanted a QB they could have taken one instead of Barkley, taking one next year by trading up would get Gettleman roasted by the NY media especially if Darnold keeps playing well. 

9 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I don’t believe that for a second. Off the top of my head, the Redskins, Giants, Steelers, Chargers, Saints, Patriots, and Dolphins all might have QB as a top priority in the upcoming draft.  

Just now, mannc said:

I don’t believe that for a second. Off the top of my head, the Redskins, Giants, Steelers, Chargers, Saints, Patriots, and Dolphins all might have QB as a top priority in the upcoming draft.  

Redskins just gave Alex Smith an extension.   Giants I went over a minute ago.   Steelers drafted Mason Rudolph, and historically they don't trade up for QBs.    The Patriots....meh as long as Brady is there they won't.  And seriously would we trade with the Patriots or the Dolphins??  We can't be that stupid to trade within the division. 

12 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Have to see what the Broncos do with Keenum, I don't think the Cowboys are going to give up on Dak, the fans love him.   Bucs are going to go with Winston unless he gets himself suspended again which isn't out of the question he's a meathead.   

Jags had a shot at Bridgewater in free agency, Marrone doubled down with Bortles, why I have no idea, actually I do.....same reason McDermott went with Peterman again...hubris.    

The Dolphins I could see, the Giants, not so sure, if they wanted a QB they could have taken one instead of Barkley, taking one next year by trading up would get Gettleman roasted by the NY media especially if Darnold keeps playing well. 

Dak may be a fan favorite, but if you listen to the fans, you eventually end up sitting with them.  As for Keenum, he's been a journeyman so far and that's not likely to change.  I guess Chad could change their decision, though.  As for the Bucs, I didn't realize they gave Winston the 5th year option so that might delay their decision a year or two.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Dak may be a fan favorite, but if you listen to the fans, you eventually end up sitting with them.  As for Keenum, he's been a journeyman so far and that's not likely to change.  I guess Chad could change their decision, though.  As for the Bucs, I didn't realize they gave Winston the 5th year option so that might delay their decision a year or two.

We only really need two people interested to get a good return.   I do think that the QB from Ball State is going to shoot up draft boards.    He looked the part of an NFL QB, made his receivers better than they are, and kept that team in a competitive game vs a better roster in Notre Dame.    

14 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Ended the 17 year playoff drought.....What have you done for me lately?

Dalton ended that drought :)

But no, the Bills never go all the way on anything, so I don't expect them to actually get the 1st overall.  Bills will still probably get 4-5 wins, which is not #1 overall territory.

22 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Redskins just gave Alex Smith an extension.   Giants I went over a minute ago.   Steelers drafted Mason Rudolph, and historically they don't trade up for QBs.    The Patriots....meh as long as Brady is there they won't.  And seriously would we trade with the Patriots or the Dolphins??  We can't be that stupid to trade within the division. 

Fair points, but if there is a great QB prospect out there, there will be buyers—probably even some teams we might not think are in the market, like Detroit or Dallas.

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

Fair points, but if there is a great QB prospect out there, there will be buyers—probably even some teams we might not think are in the market, like Detroit or Dallas.

I want a couple teams to get into a bidding war for a QB.   Unless there is a Myles Garrett there, then take Myles Garrett.   He has been an absolute terror this year so far, unblockable in preseason, and in the Steelers game not much more blockable.   He is getting by LTs effortlessly.   I don't know squat about the 2019 draft but if I see one of those...I want!

14 hours ago, COTC said:

Augie , you’re one of those can’t see the forest for the treees types, aren’t you. 

Too many  things can happen and go wrong between now and next year, Allen needs the reps and Our o-line is adequate. 

A lame duck coach is a fired coach...

winners make plans. 

losers make excuses. 

They were not adequate.  Undisciplined to start with taking way too many penalties.

The do not work as a unit very well.

Pass blocking was not good but the run blocking was worse.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

They were not adequate.  Undisciplined to start with taking way too many penalties.

The do not work as a unit very well.

Pass blocking was not good but the run blocking was worse.

Run blocking was non-existent.   Pass blocking was horrible on the edges and the interior.    I expect this unit to be completely overhauled in the offseason with at least 3 new starters, I'd say 4 but IDK who's wife Mills has pictures of but they must be doozies.  

3 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Run blocking was non-existent.   Pass blocking was horrible on the edges and the interior.    I expect this unit to be completely overhauled in the offseason with at least 3 new starters, I'd say 4 but IDK who's wife Mills has pictures of but they must be doozies.  

I re-watched the game today and was shocked how disappointing the run blocking was.  It was one of the bright spots during the preseason.

Granted the Raven were putting a lot of guys in the box but the few good runs by Shady were when he reversed himself from where the play was going.

Lets hope they can do better run blocking against LAC.

• Like (+1) 1