Accountability

Kirby Jackson

6 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

This thread is a request for lip service.

When Rex Ryan said it was all on him, that really made a difference, right?

McD will review the tape and hold the right people accountable, including himself.

Why would anyone not believe that, given what we've seen so far?

Water under the bridge at this point as the outcome does not change. Just man up, take the loss on your shoulders and apologize to Bills fans for getting our asses waxed in historic fashion. The team flat out was not prepared = McD owns that

What a day at work trying to explain how bad our team blows in Giants and Jets country. 

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

It’s insulting to say he has to look at the tape after his team lost 47-3. 

It's not, you look at the film to see who missed their assignments, who ran the wrong routes etc.

He knows what happened on the field.   You can't correct it without evaluating the specific breakdowns.    You find the failure, identify the cause the proceed with the correct.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Mike in Syracuse said:

It's not, you look at the film to see who missed their assignments, who ran the wrong routes etc.

He knows what happened on the field.   You can't correct it without evaluating the specific breakdowns.    You find the failure, identify the cause the proceed with the correct.

He can fill a legal pad with just notes on the 1st half's mistakes on offense.   

47 minutes ago, T master said:

One thing we do know is if he holds true to what he said in the Embedded series that if you don't play hard you will be replaced then it looks as though there will be a lot of different players on the field this week !! 

What happens to Kelvin Benjamin will tell the tale.  He was a zero EFFORT player out there - set a brutal example for the WR room.  They really need to consider cutting him to establish how serious they are about the culture.

9 minutes ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

You don’t have to give the media specifics on who missed what assignment.  It’s when asked to give an initial impression on his team’s performance, especially QB, after losing by 44 points, you don’t need to look at the film to know what happened.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

@Kirby Jackson

How many changes do you potentially see for next week?

I think for sure you have to start Allen.

Vontae has lost a step but Gaines looked as bad as Chris Watson.

I also think we could get some OLine shuffling.  Maybe Bodine goes to center and Groy goes to one of the guard spots?  

Oh this is fun!!

I think that you are on:

- Allen starts

- Bodine to C, Groy to LG, Vlad to the unemployment line

- I predict that NEITHER Davis nor Gaines starts at CB. My bold prediction is that a CB not currently on the roster is playing that spot. 

I would also fire Castillo but it won’t happen. His unit is a mess.

14 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Really not sure why you turned it extreme with that example. Goes without saying but I’m pissed either way.

But back to my original point before you took it to that level. It is frustrating to hear him say that because not once did I hear him take any accountability for yesterday’s loss. Not once.

As the head coach/leader of the team, do you not agree he should have taken responsibility for that onslaught yesterday? 

+ 1000

I couldn't agree more that McDermott could've,  no, should've had the nads to accept his share of the blame for yesterday's embarrassment.  It's not about providing lip service,  it's about being a HC and acknowledging the fact that a 47-3 blowout falls JUST as much on the coach as it does to the players, if not more so. 

• Like (+1) 3

yesterday was the first time i really questioned this coaching staff.  it was appalling.  the closest opener i can remember was maybe 6 years ago against the jets.  the bills just looked unprepared and lost like they did yesterday.  **** was gross.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Oh this is fun!!

I think that you are on:

- Allen starts

- Bodine to C, Groy to LG, Vlad to the unemployment line

- I predict that NEITHER Davis nor Gaines starts at CB. My bold prediction is that a CB not currently on the roster is playing that spot. 

I would also fire Castillo but it won’t happen. His unit is a mess.

Can Taron Johnson play the outside?  

1 minute ago, smuvtalker said:

+ 1000

I couldn't agree more that McDermott could've,  no, should've had the nads to accept his share of the blame for yesterday's embarrassment.  It's not about providing lip service,  it's about being a HC and acknowledging the fact that a 47-3 blowout falls JUST as much on the coach as it does to the players, if not more so. 

Yes sir. He’s the leader of the team and he had to take accountability for the blow out yesterday but he didn’t. 

For the most part I do like McD, but he handled the situation very poorly yesterday

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, teef said:

yesterday was the first time i really questioned this coaching staff.  it was appalling.  the closest opener i can remember was maybe 6 years ago against the jets.  the bills just looked unprepared and lost like they did yesterday.  **** was gross.

agree!

At least that manhandling was 28-48 back then. 

I will still be sitting in my 300's next week cheering the team on.

I don't really have a problem with McDermott's responses. He is always going to be, to some degree, composed, measured and thoughtful. I'm not sure it is a reflection of his ability as a coach, it is just his public style - whether we like it or not. Personally, I could not care less about what he says or how he says it during public interviews. I am more interested in the product on the field.

We have a team where talented players have been jettisoned for various reasons (whether or not we agree with the reasons) and a dead cap hit of over 50 million -leaving the team with holes throughout the roster that they could not adequately address this year, and a QB situation that was going to be troublesome until (and unless) Allen develops. This was always going to be about next year when they have cap space, draft picks and their franchise QB in place. Last year's success had more to do with luck, a weak AFC, and McDermott's ability to get his team to over achieve - more than anything else.

Yesterday's game was a complete failure from top to bottom. But, to be honest, it didn't seem that much different than the Saints game last year when, at the end of the 3rd quarter it was 37-3, with the Saints having over 400 total net yards and the Bills having less than 100 total net yards along with two turnovers. It is not a good team - certainly not any better than last year's team. However, I don't think it is a team that is as bad as what was on display in yesterday's game any more than I thought last year's team was as bad as what we saw in the Saints game. I believe Mc Dermott will have this team playing better next week. But it is going to be a long season and next year is going to be the litmus test for this coaching staff and front office.

Whether we like it or not.

Edited by billsfan1959

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This isn’t intended to be a pitchfork thread as there are already 59 of them. One thing that really, really bothered me yesterday when McDermott talked about the need to look at the tape after the game before commenting on certain things. It was clear to literally everyone that Peterman was a disaster. Phillip Gaines should change his number to ?. McDermott wasn’t being transparent at all. He might have thought that he was helping his team but he was insulting the fan base. He would have earned a lot more respect by holding himself accountable like he preaches. He talks an awful lot about accountability and then doesn’t practice it. I know I would have had a lot more respect for him if he told it like it was instead of sticking his head in the sand.

Of all the things that bother me, this would have to be way way down my personal list.

I can never blame a boss for wanting to take a deep breath, look at the facts, and reflect a moment before throwing folks under a bus.  It's all too easy to have a knee-jerk public reaction, and all too hard to walk it back if it proves to be off-base.

Peterman was a disaster, but so were the WR and the OL, the D was letting the Ravens fly up and down the field, and ST screwed the pooch twice.

"Insulting the fan base" should not be on McDermott's radar right now, and refusing to throw his players publically under the bus without time to review/reflect did not lose him this fan's respect.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This isn’t intended to be a pitchfork thread as there are already 59 of them. One thing that really, really bothered me yesterday when McDermott talked about the need to look at the tape after the game before commenting on certain things. It was clear to literally everyone that Peterman was a disaster. Phillip Gaines should change his number to ?. McDermott wasn’t being transparent at all. He might have thought that he was helping his team but he was insulting the fan base. He would have earned a lot more respect by holding himself accountable like he preaches. He talks an awful lot about accountability and then doesn’t practice it. I know I would have had a lot more respect for him if he told it like it was instead of sticking his head in the sand.

I don't mind that straight after the game yesterday. Having done those in my time as a soccer coach (normally with one local newspaper, one local radio man and the team's own web/media guy) quite often you try and avoid emotional reactions that you later come to regret so you play a straight bat. When he speaks to the press today however I expect him to say something more and be a bit more honest. If he says something such as "we are still working through that" which he does a lot then I think it absolutely looks like a head in the sand mentality and a refusal to front up. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Real McCoy said:

He should have just solely took responsibility for the loss as the team was 100% unprepared.. The Bills failed in every facet of the game yesterday. It's one of the worst games as a Bills fan I can ever remember which is saying alot.

I thought McDermott did say the first place he had to look was at himself, and mentioned coaching another time.

I think it's too simplistic to lay 100% of yesterday's debacle at the feet of the players.  I think the coaching is the far bigger problem - especially the unit coaches.    

Edited by dpberr

I don't mind it as long as he does the right thing. Personally, I will never watch another snap of Bills football with Nathan Peterman playing QB. I refuse. If he somehow comes out and announces Peterman as the starter this week I will not be surprised if New Era is half empty at kickoff Sunday, and completely empty by the 2nd half kick.

9 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I don't mind it as long as he does the right thing. Personally, I will never watch another snap of Bills football with Nathan Peterman playing QB. I refuse. If he somehow comes out and announces Peterman as the starter this week I will not be surprised if New Era is half empty at kickoff Sunday, and completely empty by the 2nd half kick.

takes until the really cold weather for a bad Bills team to be down to 1/3 filled stadium by the start of the 4th quarter

those were the days....