Is it time for Kaepernick?

mynmisoli

4 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

1st off, thanks for taking the time to write what you did, as it gets exhausting I know. But it's sad but true when I say that you're never gonna change that segment of the population who 'believes' that bs is true. Propaganda is a powerful tool & the message has been hammered into them over & over again. Not to veer too far from this subject, but 70% of Americans believed Saddam Hussein was behind 9-11. 2 years after that horrible day. That doesn't happen by accident, nor would those who believed that, ever admit to being duped by their sources. Most likely for the fear of feeling wrong or just plain ignorance.

But whats happened with Kap is ironic on all sorts of levels, for various reasons. But one thing that comes to mind is how you always hear people say that these athletes only care about the money. Well here's a guy who has given up all that money for taking a stand on what he feels is an injustice in our society & he gets bashed non stop for being this or being that.

Kap has never said he hates America, he never stuck his middle finger out & said: 'screw you flag'. He's repeatedly stated what his protest was about, but all you hear from these people is what the pundits say it is, & not what the guy doing it has told you it was about.

Perhaps people are listening to the wrong people lol.

But on the issue of CK playing in the NFL. Nobody in their right mind can say that Kaepernick isn't a better QB than the Nathan Peterman's of this league. The people that say CK would be a career backup, are either deluded or missing the point. But ok then, Frank Reich was a career backup. Nick Foles is a career backup, dude won a SB last year. Ryan Fitzpatrick is a career backup. Dude threw for over 400 yards & 4 TD's Sunday. Career backups don't always stay as backups & they're vital to a teams success. And CK is 100% more talented than Peterman & a lot of other QB's out there.

Proof he belongs in the NFL with his career statline:

Screenshot_2.thumb.png.221547f09ddd1c345f665bb52839b85d.png

Thank you and yes I agree with 100% of everything you said in this post.  

I actually started to write you a bigger response, but just decided to cut it and delete it...not because of what we would discuss, but because I dont want to get back into discussion with irrational comments that are certain to happen by others who have turned the story into something its not.  But just know I appreciate your response and that I am full agreement.  

7 hours ago, mannc said:

C’mon, you know that teams aren’t refusing to sign him because he quit.  Did teams turn their backs on Khalil Mack because he refused to play for the Raiders, despite still being under contract and having no ability to opt out?

Khalil Mack doesn’t suck at his job like Kaepernick though.  

Theres a demand for his services.  

19 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Kapernick doesn't have a case.  He is out of the NFL because no team wants a backup caliber player that causes that much of a distraction and that many headaches for their teammates who will have to deal with a media circus and answer questions regarding Kaepernick all year long every media session.  The problem he has is that if he wants to cause elite level problems for an NFL team, he has to have elite level talent that forces them to have to put up with it.  He doesn't have that.  Plain and simple.  If this was Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees or Cam Newton teams would grudgingly put up with it because talent trumps everything in the NFL.

A bigger headache than Peterman throwing to the other team most of the time?  Big deal with any media circus... we'll be lucky to win 3 games this season

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...he thinks he is starter material......not a very good football player...success came way too early and he lost his focus and work ethic.......opposing DC's figured him out in short order.......

The last season he started, he played fairly well. 16/4 TD/INT ratio, 90. QB rating. They didn't figure him out that well.  And while this talk is going on, Matt Cassel is the QB for detroit right now. How is he still in the league?

9 minutes ago, klos63 said:

The last season he started, he played fairly well. 16/4 TD/INT ratio, 90. QB rating. They didn't figure him out that well.  And while this talk is going on, Matt Cassel is the QB for detroit right now. How is he still in the league?

1 win 10 losses was impressive stuff.   

The guy got boatraced by Tyrod Taylor. 

Another poster bending the angles in the name of wokeness 

Edited by Teddy KGB

I wish some one would bring him in and dispell the myth surrounding this guy. Nike cares about your feelings when it makes them money. The cause just turned into Nike shoes sales. It's actually smart move. Your new 100$ Nike shoes are a symbol of your fight for more freedom. *Tears*

Edited by Lfod

16 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

1 win 10 losses was impressive stuff.   

The guy got boatraced by Tyrod Taylor. 

Another poster bending the angles in the name of wokeness 

Do you think the team around him was any good, or is this all on Kaep? He seemed to have held up his end of the job well enough.

I’ve had 4-5 people tell me they won’t buy Nike now. One being a tennis pro who likes their shoes, but need to find a new brand. I picked up a racquet from stringing yesterday and needed some fresh shirts. Hard to find anything NOT Nike I liked, but I got a nice Fila shirt. Adidas will probably get more of my business soon. 

If I owned Nike stock, I’d be pissed! Sure some people may agree with the politics of it. They are not likely to go out and load up on Nike gear. FAR more people are going to boycott Nike entirely. If I own stock, it’s not about issues, it’s about stupid business practices. 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thank you and yes I agree with 100% of everything you said in this post.  

I actually started to write you a bigger response, but just decided to cut it and delete it...not because of what we would discuss, but because I dont want to get back into discussion with irrational comments that are certain to happen by others who have turned the story into something its not.  But just know I appreciate your response and that I am full agreement.  

You two meet on “ Kaepernickmingle.com” ? Talk about propaganda .... 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I’ve had 4-5 people tell me they won’t buy Nike now. One being a tennis pro who likes their shoes, but need to find a new brand. I picked up a racquet from stringing yesterday and needed some fresh shirts. Hard to find anything NOT Nike I liked, but I got a nice Fila shirt. Adidas will probably get more of my business soon. 

If I owned Nike stock, I’d be pissed! Sure some people may agree with the politics of it. They are not likely to go out and load up on Nike gear. FAR more people are going to boycott Nike entirely. If I own stock, it’s not about issues, it’s about stupid business practices. 

Yeah, for bitter old white guys like you, bud. ;) They obviously played this all out. Their sales jumped 32% from this time last year since. A lot of people will not buy them you are right. But they want young diverse urban kids buying them and clearly they thought this was going to help, not hurt. It wasn't a political move (meaning sales be damned I am making a stand) they think it's good for their brand. And from their existence they have been a marketing company, and very good at it. 

Stock will go down for quite some time. That's true. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yeah, for bitter old white guys like you, bud. ;) They obviously played this all out. Their sales jumped 32% from this time last year since. A lot of people will not buy them you are right. But they want young diverse urban kids buying them and clearly they thought this was going to help, not hurt. It wasn't a political move (meaning sales be damned I am making a stand) they think it's good for their brand. And from their existence they have been a marketing company, and very good at it. 

Yep, they’ve always marketed to young minorities. This move should surprise no one. They’ve defined their customer and are attempting to increase their cool factor. Being against law enforcement has always been deemed cool by some. 

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

32% from this time last year means nothing, since this just came out as far as I know. What has it done since? I’m NOT chiming in on this from a political standpoint. I just don’t want the company I hold stock in to go out of their way to piss off any significant portion of the market. I have my personal feelings, but this is 100% unrelated. I’m thinking as an investor here.   

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

A bigger headache than Peterman throwing to the other team most of the time?  Big deal with any media circus... we'll be lucky to win 3 games this season

Kaepernick was 3-16 in his last 2 years in San Fran. And he is just going to waltz in pick up the offense in a day and suddenly make us into a playoff contender? Screw that. If was good enough he would be on a team. Backup quality players aren't worth headaches. Sorry. Argue all you want. 32 teams agree with me.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Do you think the team around him was any good, or is this all on Kaep? He seemed to have held up his end of the job well enough.

Well then, what good would he be on the Bills, who also lack overall talent ?

He's barely an average QB at this point in his life................certainly not worth the aggravation that would come with him.

• Like (+1) 1

They have their marketing geniuses and they know what they’re doing. As a mainstream guy, I might move some money out of where mainstream people spend most of the money. 

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yep, they’ve always marketed to young minorities. This move should surprise no one. They’ve defined their customer and are attempting to increase their cool factor. Being against law enforcement has always been deemed cool by some. 

Young minorities have less disposable income than the people who far outnumber them than I know, who seem to be the majority.  I’m NOT saying I’m right, I just find it very curious from a purely financial standpoint. 

Better to start a new brand as a subgroup. Don’t taint the golden goose. 

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

They have their marketing geniuses and they know what they’re doing. As a mainstream guy, I might move some money out of where mainstream people spend most of the money. 

Young minorities have less disposable income than the people who far outnumber them than I know, who seem to be the majority.  I’m NOT saying I’m right, I just find it very curious from a purely financial standpoint. 

Better to start a new brand as a subgroup. Don’t taint the golden goose. 

It’s always been that way, although I agree with you. Remember stories of people getting mugged or worse for Air Jordans or whatever? They’ve created a brand that is a “ must have” to be considered cool, and that carries weight. Maybe their numbers were slipping or they felt they were becoming less relevant. Either way, they must have felt this campaign would create buzz and make them be perceived as more cool again. 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

It’s always been that way, although I agree with you. Remember stories of people getting mugged or worse for Air Jordans or whatever? They’ve created a brand that is a “ must have” to be considered cool, and that carries weight. Maybe their numbers were slipping or they felt they were becoming less relevant. Either way, they must have felt this campaign would create buzz and make them be perceived as more cool again. 

I never failed to buy a Nike shirt because the Jordans were so popular (and overrated). I spent $50 on a Fila shirt yesterday that was my second choice, but I didn’t want the swoosh. The guys in the shop said it was a common reaction. I think it was a horrible business decision. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Nike is taking a grass roots movement and using it as a marketing campaign to make money. It isn't about shining a light on the topic. It's using the topic to shine a light on this brand. 

I don't agree with it but you have to be cut throat in business to win. 

23 minutes ago, Augie said:

32% from this time last year means nothing, since this just came out as far as I know. What has it done since? I’m NOT chiming in on this from a political standpoint. I just don’t want the company I hold stock in to go out of their way to piss off any significant portion of the market. I have my personal feelings, but this is 100% unrelated. I’m thinking as an investor here.   

The 32% was in the short time from when it was announced until now, so it was a direct correlation. That is what it has done since. And of course it's not like that wasn't debated at length 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The 32% was in the short time from when it was announced until now, so it was a direct correlation. That is what it has done since. And of course it's not like that wasn't debated at length 

It was actually a 14% increase compared to last year's numbers, but fight the good fight komrade.

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I don’t think they’ll push this hard or long. Got the splash, now don’t be stupid. Brief alienation may attract some folks, long term will piss off the masses. 

2 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

No. Team. In. The. NFL.  Will. Sign. A. Player. Actively. Suing. Them.

Didn’t the current POTUS try suing them and was a finalist to purchase the Bills? Somehow a 4x bankrupt idiot got to the final stages of the vetting process. Not to mention Bon Jovi who was only worth $250 million or so? Kaepernick should be given a shot. It’s a joke he’s not on a roster. 

3 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

It was actually a 14% increase compared to last year's numbers, but fight the good fight komrade.

I saw this reported in numerous places. 

https://people.com/sports/nike-sales-increase-colin-kaepernick-ad/

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/what-boycott-nike-sales-are-31-percent-kaepernick-campaign-n908251

http://time.com/5390884/nike-sales-go-up-kaepernick-ad/

Perhaps it's wrong.

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

From the NBCNews link you provided:

"According to data from Edison Trends, online sales of Nike products jumped 31 percent between the Sunday before and the Tuesday after Labor Day, nearly double last year’s 17 percent increase over the same time period."

Read past the headlines one time for me bro.  

2 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Didn’t the current POTUS try suing them and was a finalist to purchase the Bills? Somehow a 4x bankrupt idiot got to the final stages of the vetting process. Not to mention Bon Jovi who was only worth $250 million or so? Kaepernick should be given a shot. It’s a joke he’s not on a roster. 

He wasn't suing them at the time of trying to purchase the Bills. 

Think really really hard about this one.

47 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Well then, what good would he be on the Bills, who also lack overall talent ?

He's barely an average QB at this point in his life................certainly not worth the aggravation that would come with him.

He'd still be better than Peterman,  but I agree that after a couple years out of the league, it would be tough for him to be effective again, he wouldn't have a very long leash. Likely wouldn't survive a 5 INT half.  And I think the aggravation part of this is overrated. I've been pretty disgusted with this franchise for the better part of 20 years, I could deal with the media, and honestly, if we would continue to suck , nobody else would be interested.

I take that to mean last year it was a 17 point gain from the year before, and double that, a 31 point gain from last year, not from two years ago. I will have to look into it closer. 

"nearly double last year’s 17 percent increase over the same time period."

It sounds pretty cut and dry to me.  

Last year, no Kaep ad - 17% increase between these days.

This year, Kaep ad - 31% increase between these days.

"Nearly double last year's ... increase over the same time period."

5 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

From the NBCNews link you provided:

"According to data from Edison Trends, online sales of Nike products jumped 31 percent between the Sunday before and the Tuesday after Labor Day, nearly double last year’s 17 percent increase over the same time period."

Read past the headlines one time for me bro.  

I see it now. I read it that it was 31% from last year. 

Just now, BringBackOrton said:

It sounds pretty cut and dry to me.  

Last year, no Kaep ad - 17% increase between these days.

This year, Kaep ad - 31% increase between these days.

"Nearly double last year's ... increase over the same time period."

You are correct. Still a decent addition. 

51 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Kaepernick was 3-16 in his last 2 years in San Fran. And he is just going to waltz in pick up the offense in a day and suddenly make us into a playoff contender? Screw that. If was good enough he would be on a team. Backup quality players aren't worth headaches. Sorry. Argue all you want. 32 teams agree with me.

nope, he wouldn't just come in and turn the team around. Some of those 32 teams have Peterman as a starter, Cassell as a backup, AJ as a backup, not sure how bright they are. I'd be pretty confident saying that with a full training camp, Kaep would be better than Peterman.

I see it now. I read it that it was 31% from last year. 

You are correct. Still a decent addition. 

Lends credence to the idea that the ad appeals to their market base, no doubt.  But Labor Day weekend is historically a back to school shopping day for much of the country.  The long term effects of the ad have yet to be seen.

I do enjoy the outing of simple-minded hypocrites on both sides.  That makes the ad a win in my book.

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

Lends credence to the idea that the ad appeals to their market base, no doubt.  But Labor Day weekend is historically a back to school shopping day for much of the country.  The long term effects of the ad have yet to be seen.

I do enjoy the outing of simple-minded hypocrites on both sides.  That makes the ad a win in my book.

Yep. I don't know if it is a good idea or not. They obviously do.

I liked the ad itself, and the fact they didn't make it political. But I wouldn't buy Nike because of it, nor not buy Nike because of it. 

I look at it like the Patriots. They have been great for a long, long time with their decisions. Not all of their decisions are good nor are they bad. But it's usually not too smart to bet against them regardless of whether you love or hate or are indifferent to them. 

Yep. I don't know if it is a good idea or not. They obviously do.

I liked the ad itself, and the fact they didn't make it political. But I wouldn't buy Nike because of it, nor not buy Nike because of it. 

I look at it like the Patriots. They have been great for a long, long time with their decisions. Not all of their decisions are good nor are they bad. But it's usually not too smart to bet against them regardless of whether you love or hate or are indifferent to them. 

I disagree.  The ad was certainly political.  An apolitical ad wouldn't have the connotation that Kaep's cause is "worth" sacrificing for.

If I was running that board room, I would've stayed out of the mud.  Just like if I was running the Pats, I wouldn't have benched Malcolm Butler in the Super Bowl.  There may be a secret method to the madness but I don't think the juice will be worth the squeeze.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

I disagree.  The ad was certainly political.  An apolitical ad wouldn't have the connotation that Kaep's cause is "worth" sacrificing for.

If I was running that board room, I would've stayed out of the mud.  Just like if I was running the Pats, I wouldn't have benched Malcolm Butler in the Super Bowl.  There may be a secret method to the madness but I don't think the juice will be worth the squeeze.

Right. And yes, there was what I consider to be a subtle political message. But when I first heard about them doing an ad I thought it was going to be way more in your face. 

3 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Dude just stop.  Your comments are beyond stupid.  No one is against cops, they are against social injustice.  If you think it doesn’t exist then you aren’t more delusional than anyone’s ever been on this board.  Let’s exchange phone numbers in PM and I will put on the phone with people who I know from Southern California law enforcement who will tell you straight to your face that not only does it exist, they literally have been given QUOTAS for arresting minorities while on duty and that Caucasian’s were not even issued warnings for things more severe than they would arrest minorities for.  You ignorance to what this topic is Actually is stunning.  

PS:  I bet you believe all police shootings are warranted and just too.

Edited by Alphadawg7