Darby trade already one of the worst in Bills history

Yeezus

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

The confit stage will cook the meat and render the fat out of the skin without overcooking or burning the skin.  You can also steam the wings to achieve the same effect but you do risk overcooking and you introduce moisture to the skin.

The second fry makes that cooked skin perfectly crispy.  I have not been able to achieve the same results with one fry. 

I am very curious as to how the big spots in Buffalo manage to crank out the volume without sacrificing quality. 

On hectic days like SB Sunday they will pre fry them for 5-7 minutes earlier ... and re fry them a second time when order is up

makes them crispier and less fry time

18 minutes ago, Mango said:

No we didn’t. We got Jordan Matthews. Gaines was the Sammy trade. Jordan Matthews is a dud. Is he even on a roster currently? Seriously? 

I have been harsh on some of the moves by the FO. The Sammy trade was worth it I think. We weren’t going to re-sign. Gaines was extremely helpful (when healthy) in the secondary. 

I am not a big fan of the idea of “scheme fit”. When you favor scheme over talented athletes/players, you’re going to have a bad time more times than not. 

Is there another sport/athletic endeavor where coaches/teams forego talent over scheme and regularly find success? Can’t really think of one. 

The entire concept is only applicable to middling or lower tier portions of your depth chart. Where you find a guy who only does one thing well, and you only use them for depth or situationally. Scheme should not be priority for most starters because they are talented enough players to still be better than the next guy. 

Football is chess not checkers. 

Talent wins at checkers, scheme and strategy wins chess.

You need a bunch of different pieces that do different and specific things well within systems, because there are 30 or more individuals participating in every game. 

Wold cup Soccer might be another example. 

Basketball is probably closer to checkers where talent trumps system.

the worst form of coaching is when coaches force talented players into the wrong scheme. ‘Wrecks’

prudent talent management is to sell talent you don’t need to run your system effectively... a la great man cover guy for a cover 3 scheme 

and the eagles were buying as Darby is exactly what Schwartz wanted for his scheme 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

54 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Man , I love me some Kenji but that boy needs to learn to brevity is great writing trait!

i always think as confit more like duck confit.. preserved in fat, then cooking.. but see this makes sense. 

This is sounds awesome for wings 

Confit, as in duck confit, is the method of cooking in fat at low temps.  Think a gentle simmer in hot fat. The meat is often left in the fat which congeals at room temp or cellar temp in the old days, and can last for months if totally covered. 

Maybe oil poached would be a more apt term for this process but the methods are basically the same.

• Like (+1) 1

When I worked for Outback they double fried their chips, first time was a blanch at 300 for 3 minutes, then they would refrigerate and then fry at 400 for 4 minutes.    

Wings I think should follow a similar time and temperature range but definitely longer than 3 min the first fry, you want to cook em the first time, then the second fry is just to crisp up that skin.    I think 300 for 10 minutes, then 375 for 4-6 but you'd have to try one first, and keeping the temp in the fryer is crucial.    If you dump 15 wings from the refrigerator right into 375 degree oil but there's only say 10 cups of oil, no way will it recover quickly enough to give you a good fry.   Maybe a drop of 10 degrees 15 max is what you're looking for so the oil can recover and at the same time sear the outside skin instead of boiling it. 

Then you have to let them sit after the second fry for at least 5 minutes.   Allow the steam to rise off the wings otherwise it will get trapped by the sauce and once again...soggy skin-bad wing.     

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

On hectic days like SB Sunday they will pre fry them for 5-7 minutes earlier ... and re fry them a second time when order is up

makes them crispier and less fry time

I suspected as much.  I talked to a chef here in Houston who told me he had a food truck that specialized in wings.  He would sous vide them in a giant bag, scrape the fat off, and then fry.  Said he reduced the fry time to 5-6 minutes.  Likely improved quality as well.

Hot take here:  brining in liquid is a stupid waste of time.  Fight me!

5 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I suspected as much.  I talked to a chef here in Houston who told me he had a food truck that specialized in wings.  He would sous vide them in a giant bag, scrape the fat off, and then fry.  Said he reduced the fry time to 5-6 minutes.  Likely improved quality as well.

Brining is essential for fried chicken imo. I also brine turkeys that I'm deep frying for Thanksgiving...it's a pretty proven strategy. Softens a lot of the intramuscular fascia and related tissues while introducing flavor that permeates deeper than traditional rub or breading/battering. 

And sous vide in a non commercial kitchen is usually indicative of a weakness of character.

By brining are we talking about salt water or buttermilk?   Because buttermilk is the best thing to marinate bone in chicken if you plan to fry it.   Just a salt/water solution with maybe some vinegar and other spices is what I brine a turkey in, along with some cut up oranges.  

19 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

When I worked for Outback they double fried their chips, first time was a blanch at 300 for 3 minutes, then they would refrigerate and then fry at 400 for 4 minutes.    

Wings I think should follow a similar time and temperature range but definitely longer than 3 min the first fry, you want to cook em the first time, then the second fry is just to crisp up that skin.    I think 300 for 10 minutes, then 375 for 4-6 but you'd have to try one first, and keeping the temp in the fryer is crucial.    If you dump 15 wings from the refrigerator right into 375 degree oil but there's only say 10 cups of oil, no way will it recover quickly enough to give you a good fry.   Maybe a drop of 10 degrees 15 max is what you're looking for so the oil can recover and at the same time sear the outside skin instead of boiling it. 

Then you have to let them sit after the second fry for at least 5 minutes.   Allow the steam to rise off the wings otherwise it will get trapped by the sauce and once again...soggy skin-bad wing.     

I go even lower in temp on the first cook, low and slow. Locks in the moisture. I do 225F for about 20 mins, but I just watch the chicken more than watch the clock. When the skin is just starting to crispin, I take them out, before they brown.

16 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I am anti brining.

Edited by Wayne Cubed
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I sat on my balls again this morning.

You might want to consider tighter jockey shorts or always wear a jockstrap. When someone tells you to hang loose do you wink and consider it a compliment for your god given package? :) 

5 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

My first fry for my wings is at 225F for about 20 mins, you want the skin to be crispy but not brown. Put them on a cooling rack for about an hour then put them in the fridge overnight. Second fry is at 400F for about 10 mins, take the wings straight from the fridge to the fryer.

Im going to try this tomorrow for the Bills game. It’s not actually “confit”, but sounds interesting. 

5 hours ago, Yeezus said:

Eagles absolutly robbed us. They got rid of 2 useless players and got a potential all pro Cornerback that has yet to enter the prime of his career. Eagles fans are still raving about the trade. 

Trade to this day makes absolutly no sense for me. There was no reason Darby should have been traded. Huge mistake by our part and I think we will realize it this year when Vonte Davis gets injured for 90% of the season and we have no quality depth to fill his spot. 

Darby excels as a man-to-man corner. The McDermott/Fraiser defense employs zone coverage, something Darby didn't do a lot of in school. Hence the trade. It happens. Get over it.

18 minutes ago, BillsGuru4 said:

Im going to try this tomorrow for the Bills game. It’s not actually “confit”, but sounds interesting. 

The confit bit is right at the beginning. Confit means cooking in fat/oil/grease at a low temperature for a longer period of time. Hence the 225F for 20 mins. The second fry is only to crispin the skin.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Brining is essential for fried chicken imo. I also brine turkeys that I'm deep frying for Thanksgiving...it's a pretty proven strategy. Softens a lot of the intramuscular fascia and related tissues while introducing flavor that permeates deeper than traditional rub or breading/battering. 

And sous vide in a non commercial kitchen is usually indicative of a weakness of character. 

I think you can get solid results but brining isn't all that its cracked up to be and there are a lot of myths.  Liquid penetrating into meat and flavoring the tissue being the most common.  There is no doubt you can add moisture which is great for long roasts but you're also soaking the skin. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/the-food-lab-the-truth-about-brining-turkey-thanksgiving.html

As far as fried chicken, I think theres something to be said about buttermilk marinade which helps tenderize.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-best-southern-fried-chicken.html

Your sous-phobia sickens me.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

To the op I am trying to figure out if you are the worst poster of all time

its close easily top 5

regarding Darby HE DOES NOT FIT THE SCHEME

What a terrible way to justify a trade.  No offense but this is the ? that drives me crazy with nfl philosophies.  Yeah, you have get rid of a super talented man corner because there is no way he play in a zone.  What terrible logic.

if Phillips has a Kye Williams like career, good move.  Anything else, it was a bad trade.  Either we could have had a cb duo of Tre White and Darby or we could have use the Tre White pick on another need.  

I dont have a huge problem with it because this regime has been excellent with judging secondary picks.  But maybe we could have used a 1st round pick to help the least talented offense in the nfl.  

But who who needs a starting cb on a Super Bowl champion?  HE DIDN’T FIT THE SCHEME!!!

• Like (+1) 1