Darby trade already one of the worst in Bills history

Yeezus

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

What Wayne said. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/01/ultimate-extra-crispy-double-fried-confit-buffalo-wings.html

The results are excellent and the quick second fry makes this an ideal game day recipe.  I think the sauce could use some work, but that's the fun part. 

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

When doing confit wings, how long should the wings be fried the first time?  And is it recommended to refrigerate overnight prior to the round 2 frying?

@Jauronimo

2 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

My first fry for my wings is at 225F for about 20 mins, you want the skin to be crispy but not brown. Put them on a cooling rack for about an hour then put them in the fridge overnight. Second fry is at 400F for about 10 mins, take the wings straight from the fridge to the fryer.

what exactly does frying 2x do that frying once doesn't do?..serious question...is there something different in the taste?

2 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

My first fry for my wings is at 225F for about 20 mins, you want the skin to be crispy but not brown. Put them on a cooling rack for about an hour then put them in the fridge overnight. Second fry is at 400F for about 10 mins, take the wings straight from the fridge to the fryer.

Thats a double fried wing..not a confit wing ...at least that is what I am thinking. Not sure I have ever heard of a confit wing.

In terms of the Darby trade, Sammy trade does not happen without this trade..and vice versa..which led to Allen..so you want Darby or Allen?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Yeezus said:

Eagles absolutly robbed us. They got rid of 2 useless players and got a potential all pro Cornerback that has yet to enter the prime of his career. Eagles fans are still raving about the trade. 

Trade to this day makes absolutly no sense for me. There was no reason Darby should have been traded. Huge mistake by our part and I think we will realize it this year when Vonte Davis gets injured for 90% of the season and we have no quality depth to fill his spot. 

Weak take how was he last year with the eagles again?

34 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Yeezus is a troll but Darby for a third is a bad trade.  He is developing into a very good corner and would easily be #2 on our roster.  He just needs to stop covering for Jameis when Jameis goes into rape mode.

I mean - sammy and darby for gaines, matthews, and 2nd and 3rd round picks.  That's not bad considering watkins isn't on the rams, and darby isn't an all-pro... Not yet anyway.  even if he is that means he'll get paid... he's a UFA next year.  

Lets not say he was like solely responsible for their super bowl victory either... they gave up 500 through the air in that game.

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Weak take how was he last year with the eagles again?

Hurt for half the year - i do remember that.

7 minutes ago, Tsaikotic said:

what exactly does frying 2x do that frying once doesn't do?..serious question...is there something different in the taste?

yes, double fry is different. The first fry takes moisture out of outer surface food...2nd fry then gets crisper outside and moister inside. Technique is especailly effective with french fries and onion rings

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

yes, double fry is different. The first fry takes moisture out of outer surface food...2nd fry then gets crisper outside and moister inside. Technique is especailly effective with french fries and onion rings

hmm..ok, thx...someday I'll have to try this

26 minutes ago, Tsaikotic said:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/01/the-food-lab-how-to-make-best-buffalo-wings-fry-again-ultimate-crispy-deep-fried-buffalo-wings.html

24 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Thats a double fried wing..not a confit wing ...at least that is what I am thinking. Not sure I have ever heard of a confit wing.

In terms of the Darby trade, Sammy trade does not happen without this trade..and vice versa..which led to Allen..so you want Darby or Allen?

Confit is literally cooking at a low temp in fat/oil. Hence “frying” at 225F. So the wing is confit first, which as you correctly stated locks in the moisture while also pre crisping the skin. This allows for a crispier skin when you fry them at the higher temp.

Frying typically takes place between 375-400F

Edited by Wayne Cubed
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/01/the-food-lab-how-to-make-best-buffalo-wings-fry-again-ultimate-crispy-deep-fried-buffalo-wings.html

Confit is literally cooking at a low temp in fat/oil. Hence “frying” at 225F.

Frying typically takes place between 375-400F

Man , I love me some Kenji but that boy needs to learn to brevity is great writing trait!

i always think as confit more like duck confit.. preserved in fat, then cooking.. but see this makes sense. 

This is sounds awesome for wings 

19 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Man , I love me some Kenji but that boy needs to learn to brevity is great writing trait!

i always think as confit more like duck confit.. preserved in fat, then cooking.. but see this makes sense. 

lol...I misread the site name as "Good Eats" not "Serious Eats" and the whole time I read the article I had that host from shows voice in my head...then I saw it wasn't him that wrote it :( ...was a good article tho..thx

23 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

It's the closest I've come to getting wings as crispy as they are at some of my favorite places. A lot has to do with not having a really good fryer. The sauce definitely sticks to the wing better as well.

18 minutes ago, Tsaikotic said:

lol...I misread the site name as "Good Eats" not "Serious Eats" and the whole time I read the article I had that host from shows voice in my head...then I saw it wasn't him that wrote it :( ...was a good article tho..thx

Haha, yea I see it and think the same thing. 

It's the closest I can make wings to my favorite places. Then it's all about the sauce. His sauce isn't great, I do a bit more than just Franks and butter.

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

This.  I think the worst aspect of the Wrecks fiasco was saying goodbye to Schwartz.  The Bills had a killer defense, remember?  Under Wrecks it turned into toilet paper. 

As for Darby, I think he's a good player and whether we got the good or bad end of the trade won't pan out until we see what Harrison turns into.  I am concerned that last year gave the front office the idea they could scoop up street free agents, plug them into our D backfield, and coach them up.  We struck gold last year but so far it looks like that mine is played out.

“Wrecks”. I see what you did there. How clever....

4 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

We traded Darby for one year of Gaines, who played better last year than darby did.  We also got to draft Phillips so we will see going forward if Darby is a more valuable player than Phillips is. 

No we didn’t. We got Jordan Matthews. Gaines was the Sammy trade. Jordan Matthews is a dud. Is he even on a roster currently? Seriously? 

I have been harsh on some of the moves by the FO. The Sammy trade was worth it I think. We weren’t going to re-sign. Gaines was extremely helpful (when healthy) in the secondary. 

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Yeezus kryst... he doesn’t fit the bills scheme!! 

Mathews was a decent potential WR, CB was deep and the pick netted a meatball 2.0

the secondary was a strength without Darby last year. We was a weakness even with Mathews last year. It was a good trade. 

So maybe a regrettable trade at worst of harry fizzles and Darby miraculously became good at the bills scheme. 

Certainly not worst ever. And almost cant even be framed as such unless Darby becomes Charles Woodson and harry becomes mccargo. 

I am not a big fan of the idea of “scheme fit”. When you favor scheme over talented athletes/players, you’re going to have a bad time more times than not. 

Is there another sport/athletic endeavor where coaches/teams forego talent over scheme and regularly find success? Can’t really think of one. 

The entire concept is only applicable to middling or lower tier portions of your depth chart. Where you find a guy who only does one thing well, and you only use them for depth or situationally. Scheme should not be priority for most starters because they are talented enough players to still be better than the next guy. 

1 hour ago, Tsaikotic said:

The confit stage will cook the meat and render the fat out of the skin without overcooking or burning the skin.  You can also steam the wings to achieve the same effect but you do risk overcooking and you introduce moisture to the skin.

The second fry makes that cooked skin perfectly crispy.  I have not been able to achieve the same results with one fry. 

I am very curious as to how the big spots in Buffalo manage to crank out the volume without sacrificing quality.