AJ gone and no vet QB, are your expectations lower?

stuvian

6 minutes ago, stuvian said:

As AJ only had 5 NFL games under his belt I never really saw him as an experienced vet. Has his trade lowered your expectations for the season?

No. He's a backup caliber QB who would have been surrounded by a less than stellar supporting cast.   No upside.

It's interesting that everyone seems to have the same reaction.   It's been clear for nearly a month that there was probably only one way the Bills were going to have really good quarterbacking in 2018, and that would be if Allen emerged.   That's still possible, whether McCarron is there or not.   

McCarron promised nothing more than marginally adequate quarterbacking, and once it become clear that Peterman can do that, there was not reason to keep AJ.  

• Like (+1) 4

Not at all. But I've had the view going back to minicamp that McCarron and Peterman offer the same thing. I have been hoping Peterman would beat out McCarron for the bridge starter/eventual backup role and he did that. People have put too much stock in the Chargers game last year. Peterman is better than that. We aren't going to be good this year regardless of who the QB is.

• Like (+1) 3

1.  I think with this porous OL, the Bills QB room will suffer injuries, and a depth of 3 QB may be needed.

or

2.  On the hand, getting a fifth round draft choice was quite the deal, and a risk worth taking. If Peterman and Allen are injured, I'm sure Beane could find a scrub QB.

I choose number 2.

5 minutes ago, boater said:

1.  I think with this porous OL, the Bills QB room will suffer injuries, and a depth of 3 QB may be needed.

or

2.  On the hand, getting a fifth round draft choice was quite the deal, and a risk worth taking. If Peterman and Allen are injured, I'm sure Beane could find a scrub QB.

I choose number 2.

Exactly.  If number 1 happens the season is over anyway.  

30 minutes ago, stuvian said:

As AJ only had 5 NFL games under his belt I never really saw him as an experienced vet. Has his trade lowered your expectations for the season?

..if you need a pacifying vet, get Anderson....6 years with Panthers and "The Carolina Connection" but you'll have to carry 3 on the 53....

• Like (+1) 1

No. If anything this helps clarify things for the team. Wish that would have been done sooner, but we have 5th rounder for our troubles. Now Peterman gets his chance to prove he can be a franchise QB rather than just a placeholder. Fingers crossed.

Also, it opens up another roster spot on a team that needs all the extra roster spots it can get. Put plainly, the Bills just don't have enough talent in the building for luxuries like keeping three QBs.  

Edited by VW82