How did Foster make the team?

wppete

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

what is the common theme of that.....more potential I guess and cheaper

I don't think this is true at all.Thomas is not 'cheap', O'leary produced and was on a rookie contract.

I like Coom and Lee, but choosing Thomas over O'Leary was a bad move by the Bills IMO.

O''Leary will go to New England or Miami and haunt us. Mark my words.

18 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

I don't think this is true at all.Thomas is not 'cheap', O'leary produced and was on a rookie contract.

I like Coom and Lee, but choosing Thomas over O'Leary was a bad move by the Bills IMO.

O''Leary will go to New England or Miami and haunt us. Mark my words.

Thomas and O'Leary were within chump change of each other for contracts.  Thomas $790k, O'Leary $705.

I was impressed by what I'd seen from Thomas this preseason, so I gotta go with the coaches on that.

Your last may be true, only because NE has one of the premier QB ever who can make just about any WR or TE look good.  But we can't keep players based on whether or not other teams will do more with them than we did, we have to keep players based upon how they look to us (which doesn't mean I haven't disagreed with some decisions)

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh is that all?  Add to the above he has been seen to quit on routes, where if he didn't he might not have to lay out .... he looks back for the ball instead of running the route full out, which again slows him up and requires him to fight/layout.  He has poor footwork and runs sloppy routes.  But other than that.....

This. He quit on routes and didn't lay out for some balls. You cannot quit on a route ever, especially when Allen takes the helm.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh is that all?  Add to the above he has been seen to quit on routes, where if he didn't he might not have to lay out .... he looks back for the ball instead of running the route full out, which again slows him up and requires him to fight/layout.  He has poor footwork and runs sloppy routes.  But other than that.....

Indeed.  It all depends upon how much he wants it, how hard he's willing to work, and how coachable he is.

I agree with all of that, and yet he is open all the time. We don’t have a guy who gets separation like that, short or long. That has to be what coaches like. I still expect him to be cut and stashed on PS but he has the kind of raw talent and speed we sorely lack at WR. 

If he can be taught to just track the ball better, which remains to be seen, he’d be worth a roster spot. Dabol has obviously seen more of him than anyone and obviously likes him. We will see. 

I loved the signing. I hated him in preseason because of all the mistakes, especially in tracking the ball. Josh’s second and third bombs should have been 60+ yard TDS. But I was amazed at how he was always beating guys. 

He made the team because of daboll.

'bama Bros cult stick together.

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I agree with all of that, and yet he is open all the time. We don’t have a guy who gets separation like that, short or long. That has to be what coaches like. I still expect him to be cut and stashed on PS but he has the kind of raw talent and speed we sorely lack at WR. 

If he can be taught to just track the ball better, which remains to be seen, he’d be worth a roster spot. Dabol has obviously seen more of him than anyone and obviously likes him. We will see. 

I loved the signing. I hated him in preseason because of all the mistakes, especially in tracking the ball. Josh’s second and third bombs should have been 60+ yard TDS. But I was amazed at how he was always beating guys. 

He's been open all the time against third string dbs.

Maybe they leave him open because he can't catch??

He's like featherstone in "necessary roughness"

7 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

He made the team because of daboll.

'bama Bros cult stick together.

He's been open all the time against third string dbs.

Maybe they leave him open because he can't catch??

That’s dumb. He had some drops. He also made four difficult catches over his head on balls thrown ob. At most one of them could he get his feet close. But all were nice catches. 

And i I hated him. 

32 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That’s dumb. He had some drops. He also made four difficult catches over his head on balls thrown ob. At most one of them could he get his feet close. But all were nice catches. 

And i I hated him. 

He had 1 reception all preseason.

What 4 catches are you referring to?

6 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Which is absurd.

I'm not interested in discussing balls a guy catches that aren't receptions.

1 reception on 10 targets.

They show hands. 

You don't want to count any play that is made by anyone against someone who is not a starter either. You don't want to count anything other than stats. 

That is what is absurd. 

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

They show hands. 

You don't want to count any play that is made by anyone against someone who is not a starter either. You don't want to count anything other than stats. 

That is what is absurd. 

1 for 10.

That's all that counts for him.

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Obviously not because he's on the roster.

Let me know when the NFL starts counting all those non-receptions.

He's on the roster because he's fast and he's dabolls boy from Alabama.

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

Kinda surprised he made the team tbh

Ditto.

5 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

1 for 10.

That's all that counts for him.

That's ridiculous. He didn't throw the balls out of bounds. He tracked them and caught them showing his ability. He didn't get cut because he showed something that those in the know saw, not what they read off of a sheet of paper.

3 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Let me know when the NFL starts counting all those non-receptions.

He's on the roster because he's fast and he's dabolls boy from Alabama.

Ditto.

The Nfl doesn't count any stats in preseason. 

He's definitely only on the roster because he's fast and Daboll knows him. We need speed and if Daboll is good that's a good thing that he knows him better than anyone and lobbied for him. If Daboll is bad it's bad and I agree it's a mistake. That has yet to be determined. 

I am as surprised as anyone he made it. He pissed me off more than any other player. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

That's ridiculous. He didn't throw the balls out of bounds. He tracked them and caught them showing his ability. He didn't get cut because he showed something that those in the know saw, not what they read off of a sheet of paper.

How about him not tracking the sideline and making an effort to get his feet in on any of those?

How about not making an effort for that one deep ball that he clearly could have gotten if he didn't give up on it?

2 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

How about him not tracking the sideline and making an effort to get his feet in on any of those?

How about not making an effort for that one deep ball that he clearly could have gotten if he didn't give up on it?

Totally agree on the bombs.  He can't track for crap. Both Josh's fourth quarter bombs were right on the money and Foster blew them both. The OB catches only one of four could any WR catch in bounds. The ball was too far OB. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Totally agree on the bombs.  He can't track for crap. Both Josh's fourth quarter bombs were right on the money and Foster blew them both. The OB catches only one of four could any WR catch in bounds. The ball was too far OB. 

Agreed

Even if they were out of bounds though, I didn't see him even make an effort to be on bounds, ie he wasn't even aware of where the sideline was.

Maybe he can learn?

I feel like ball tracking and field awareness are difficult to teach though.

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

How did he respond to the coaching / film grading that he would have received on those plays ? He has speed, and that can’t be coached. Other things can. Who should they have kept? There were overlapping skill sets and maybe guys who don’t play ST’s. There’s also familiarity with the staff. Anyway, we’re talkiing about a down the depth chart WR here. I don’t know if anyone other than Benjamin and Kerley ( who is a WR 3 anywhere else but a WR2 here) are much better. It came down to speed and other factors most likely. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Agreed

Even if they were out of bounds though, I didn't see him even make an effort to be on bounds, ie he wasn't even aware of where the sideline was.

Maybe he can learn?

I feel like ball tracking and field awareness are difficult to teach though.

Agree. It's not easy to learn. Usually you either have it or don't for both of them. Zay Jones sucked at both of them last year, too. Let's just hope he can learn. 

It's not the same but it's like arm strength. Most players with rag arms cannot improve arm strength over the years to become adequate. It happens but most can't. Brady did dramatically. But there are not a lot of examples. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

How did he respond to the coaching / film grading that he would have received on those plays ? He has speed, and that can’t be coached. Other things can. Who should they have kept? There were overlapping skill sets and maybe guys who don’t play ST’s. There’s also familiarity with the staff. Anyway, we’re talkiing about a down the depth chart WR here. I don’t know if anyone other than Benjamin and Kerley ( who is a WR 3 anywhere else but a WR2 here) are much better. It came down to speed and other factors most likely. 

Yeah, basically speed and daboll.

Oh well.

I think he sucks.

Let's hope he can turn it around.

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

Oh well.

I think he sucks.

He probably does. I’m hoping for a waiver wire claim at this point or even a trade. This WR group is among the worst the Bills have had since probably the Chan Gailey years. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

Oh well.

I think he sucks.

I'm not criticizing this I'm just curious. But why are you just assuming "Daboll's boy" is a bad thing? He obviously knows him better than anyone. Unless you already assume Daboll stinks why is lobbying for a guy he knows and obviously loves is wrong?

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I'm not criticizing this I'm just curious. But why are you just assuming "Daboll's boy" is a bad thing? He obviously knows him better than anyone. Unless you already assume Daboll stinks why is lobbying for a guy he knows and obviously loves is wrong?

I am concerned that he's pining for him based on his familiarity with him

Look what it did for Chip Kelly when he gutted the eagles going after Oregon players

It's not a good way to run a team if you're using that for decisions over other things like talent

So it's just s concern

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Tell me about Castillo and DucASSe now.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

You stated, emphatically I might add, that all that counted was 1 out of 10. If that's the case then we wouldn't need coaches evaluating skills and potential, we could get by with 5th graders who can do math.

8 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

You stated, emphatically I might add, that all that counted was 1 out of 10. If that's the case then we wouldn't need coaches evaluating skills and potential, we could get by with 5th graders who can do math.

That's right.

1 reception on 10 targets is what matters at the end of the day.

Since other things were being brought into the discussion, I decided to use the negative things he did as well as a counterpoint.

14 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I am concerned that he's pining for him based on his familiarity with him

Look what it did for Chip Kelly when he gutted the eagles going after Oregon players

It's not a good way to run a team if you're using that for decisions over other things like talent

So it's just s concern

There are all kinds of examples of it working and all kinds it not working. Every coach does it to some degree. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Ugh. That's a great example of it being stupid. It probably backfires more than it helps. But Beane and McD familiar with KB got us our only bona fide WR. 

Bona fide? Dude barely has one 1000 yard receiving season. He has just as much to prove as everyone not named LeSean McCoy on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Can't agree more. Anyone who said, "he caught that ball", clearly misses even the not so dine points of the position. Seems to have little  to no awareness.