Peterman/Allen next Flutie/Johnson... hoping I am wrong

Coach55

8 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Nothing like it. I would say Tyrod vs anyone but Tyrod is more like Flutie and Johnson. The Bills won with Flutie but felt he was limited.  SO they went another direction. Tyrod had moe time than Flutie which is why the "fun" has warn off. Flutie at QB and going 8-8 for multiple years and it would have been the same. 

This is an interesting take. Good post!!

Just think, Sean McDermott intentionally created this situation, most teams work to clear the way for their rookie QB, instead McDermott has insured that there will be drama among the fans and possibly the locker room no matter what happens by pushing Peterman.

It's already happening, fans and media are lining up into camps into who should start.

Edited by greeneblitz

2 hours ago, Coach55 said:

Here is my question... what happens if and I say IF, Peterman starts the season and they go 4-1, 5-2, 7-3... what do you do?  What if they make the playoffs 10-6 with Peterman...  What happens?  Everyone is expecting Peterman to come in, start the season and the Bills go 1-4, 2-5 and then Allen comes in and saves the day... but what if???

IF such a scenario were to occur ( and it’s a huge if) you don’t change the QB. If the team is winning and the offense is performing well you don’t change it. In the offseason you re-evaluate. Eventually one guy would have to go if it continued. The odds of such a thing happening are minuscule. It’s not worth pondering unless it actually happens. 

3 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

Someones been reading wikipedia!!

Next time, please lead with the bold. 

It would save everyone a TON of reading. 

Btw, the season starts in just over a week.

No need for threads that belong in march or may;)

I don't see anything wrong with this thread. It's just his opinion, and it may turn out to be true. All that needs to happen now is Allen to become starter, get injured after a few poor showings, and Peterman to come in & lead us to a winning record. If that happens, it will surely split the board in half.

55 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

Just think, Sean McDermott intentionally created this situation, most teams work to clear the way for their rookie QB, instead McDermott has insured that there will be drama among the fans and possibly the locker room no matter what happens by pushing Peterman.

It's already happening, fans and media are lining up into camps into who should start.

Did Cleveland clear the way for their rookie QB? Arizona?

Most teams ... do different things depending on how ready they think the rookie QB is.

And yeah, there'll be drama among fans. The locker room? No reason to think so. They handled the Peterman - Tyrod deal just fine even when it blew up. They hung in with McD. They'll almost certainly do so here as well.

44 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I think this is more like Mike Tomzack and Ben Rothlesberger.  Even had Tomzack not gotten hurt, Ben was going to start at some point--either his rookie year or next.  

Tomczak retired while Roethliberger was still in high school.

Do you mean Tommy Maddox? Not a good comparison, IMHO. The Steelers knew who Maddox was. He was an eighth-year man when Roethlisberger was a rookie. And he'd been the Steelers starter for two years.

The main thrust, that this team is committed to Allen in the long run seems obvious. There's no reason to think that they are committed to Allen this year. They could easily think that they'd like to sit him for the year if things work out that way, particularly if the teams started with some wins. Maybe even if they don't.

I don't see any controversy coming, though. I have a lot of faith in McD to handle the locker room.

4 hours ago, Coach55 said:

Here is my question... what happens if and I say IF, Peterman starts the season and they go 4-1, 5-2, 7-3... what do you do?  What if they make the playoffs 10-6 with Peterman...  What happens?  Everyone is expecting Peterman to come in, start the season and the Bills go 1-4, 2-5 and then Allen comes in and saves the day... but what if???

Then they use that to trade Peterman for a higher rd pick next year to a desperate team looking for a bridge qb much like we did with AJ.

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Totally different, Flutie was a former star that just hadn’t gotten a chance. Johnson had 1 start and the Bills overreacted and offered a first. Allen cost the Bills, a 1st, 2 2nds and Corey Glenn. He was their guy for a long, long time. 

Additionally, things are WAY different than they were 20 years ago. Guys have shorter leashes and the rules have made the league more QB centric. You find you guy and you sink or swim with him. That’s pretty much every regime. Allen is the guy that Beane and McDermott bet on. That’s the horse they are riding. That’s not even up for debate. It’s WHEN, not IF.

Unless he pulls a Paxton Lynch.

8 hours ago, Coach55 said:

What happens is the same thing that happened in Kansas City. Alex Smith helped the Chiefs to a 10-6 record and won the AFC West. He lead the league in passer rating and was 8th in yards and 9th in TDs. 

The Chiefs went to the guy they traded up for, Mahomes. And Alex Smith has proven much, much more than Peterman. It literally does not matter what Peterman does.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Coach55 said:

For full disclosure, I am not on either side of the fence.  I just want the Bills to win, don't care who his the Quarterback.  With that being said, the QB controversy that currently exists is starting to look like the late 90s all over again.

The Players...

Johnson - the heir apparent.  Bills make a big trade to get a QB with a huge arm, great mobility who needs development

Allen - the heir apparent.  Bills make a big trade to draft a QB with a huge arm, great mobility who needs development

Flutie - the undersized underdog, who plays smart football with a weak arm and makes the weak OLine look good

Peterman - the underdog, who plays smart football with a weak arm and makes the weak OLine look good.

The Scenario...

As of right now, Peterman (in spite of his crappy rookie season) has won the preseason battle and deserves to start.  I might add, he has played remarkably well.  Allen has struggled, showing glimpses of greatness throughout preseason.  People are already making excuses for Allen (blaming the OLine, who I admit has been weak, but 3 of the 5 sacks against Cincinnati could have easily been avoided had Allen made a quicker decision).  

The Issue...

Ok.  As of right now, Peterman should start (if he doesn't I would be surprised).  What I am afraid of is - What if he actually succeeds (low probability)?  Let's say he starts 5-2, do we have another late 90s issue where the winning QB is always put on the back burner for the potential of the heir apparent?  

Thoughts?  btw, this is all conjecture to stir the pot. 

Since neither is an egomaniacal midget  I don’t think there is much chance of this happening.

7 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I don't see anything wrong with this thread. It's just his opinion, and it may turn out to be true. All that needs to happen now is Allen to become starter, get injured after a few poor showings, and Peterman to come in & lead us to a winning record. If that happens, it will surely split the board in half.

Ugh.. co'mon mmmmaaaannnnn. 

Not everything needs to have a parallel. 

Furthermore, both these dudes are here bc they are good dude. Its not like they werent vetted prior to being drafted. 5th rd pk vs 7th overall? Never shld that be a question. If anything, if we need to draw parallels MAYBE it shakes out like the small contingent of Reich fans who actly felt starting him was a better move than Jimbo. 

I really like Frank, but Carolina, the Jets, and Lions didnt really go so well....