Carucci: Fixing footwork has allowed Josh Allen to make big strides with the Bills

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Good for Allen, making strides is all you can ask for. 

I'm a bit skeptical though. His pre draft accuracy issues were well documented. You're telling me it was mainly footwork that caused it, and he fixed it in a summer? Doesn't pass the smell test. 

What kind of random stuff do you walk around smelling all day? This smell test way of life could come back to bite you.

3 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Good read. I like the whole concept of having Allen jump up as high as he could a bunch of times and then look at his feet when he landed, and calling that his base.  That was an interesting approach

I do this with players of must sports when I'm rehabbing them from an ACL usually.

They tend to have a narrow bos since they have been on crutches for weeks, and have shifted their cog to midline, and they have to relearn that wide bos, so vert leaps forces this.

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

This is the exact thing that I said about Allen leading up to the draft: fix the footwork and develop some touch on the short-area boundary throws and you've got yourself a complete QB.

Bandit's pre draft analysis =? like bull!

Good job! :beer:

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

The Bills MVP this year might be Jordan Plamer, who'd have thunk it.

He seems like a great teacher. I'd imagine he will be a very busy man going into the 2019 draft.

If you would have told me three years ago, Juice, that the smartest guys in QBing in 2018 would be Jordan Palmer and Dan Orlofsky I’d have called you nuts.

...three years ago.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

See this is the major flaw of analytics - it relies solely on the past to predict the future.  It can't take into account the impact of a coach identifying a flaw, or a player spending untold hours fixing it. 

This is same thing I've been saying all along as well. Analytics should be a tool in the tool box but not the only tool

I've give more credit to Josh Allen than Jordan Palmer for fixing his footwork.

Anybody can look at tape, watch a guy a throw and tell him what to fix.

However, it's not often you see a player these days as highly touted as Allen who so willingly accepts his own faults and has the discipline to work so tediously on correcting them.    Most guys in his position are more interested in collecting a pay check.     Josh Allen truly loves the game of football, it's his passion... that alone will take him a long way.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Not really interested in the article. The whole accuracy issue was a canard.

Or a Rhodes Scholar finalist like Greg McElroy or a Hall of Famer like Joe Namath, Ken Stabler and Bart Starr.

Curious, any since Bear Bryant?

I heard a few interviews of Josh’s coach at Wyoming and sounded like he knows what he was talked nf about. However he is no getting elite coaching with the Bills and Dabol & Co. I think we will see a lot of improvement. Can’t wait to see him in a couple of years tearing up the AFC EAST. 

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Welp, if the naysayers who won’t believe throwing motions can improve are correct, then Allens’ college stats of 2-1 TD to Int ratio means he’ll throw a pick off the get-go before he tosses another TD Sunday afternoon. Frankly, I’m interested to see this as well.

I sure hope we dont see 2-1!

2 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

I know a girl named Ming Li.      She’s smarter than Greg McElroy.  

Ill ask my great grandpa who the others are.   

Allen looks pretty strong so far.   Right ? 

McCarrnon, McElroy, John Parker Wilson and Brodie Croyle all played QB in the NFL post Bear Bryant.

Tua Tagovailoa is a budding star.

Who cares how Alabama QBs have done in the NFL in recently. They have won 5 National Championships in the last 9 years.

Edited by Sky Diver

I don't think there has been a prospect in history more arm chair "analysts" were on out without actually watching than Allen.

It would be fitting if the Bills long journey in the franchise QB wilderness was answered by a QB from the middle of nowhere the group think mob counted out before he even got an opportunity.

Also, hire Jordan Palmer as QB coach already.

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I don't think there has been a prospect in history more arm chair "analysts" were on out without actually watching than Allen.

It would be fitting if the Bills long journey in the franchise QB wilderness was answered by a QB from the middle of nowhere the group think mob counted out before he even got an opportunity.

Also, hire Jordan Palmer as QB coach already.

Ide rather he remained his personal coach, they get more time with QBs.

6 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Good read. I like the whole concept of having Allen jump up as high as he could a bunch of times and then look at his feet when he landed, and calling that his base.  That was an interesting approach

I loved this part.  Why take some standardized measurement and try to make everyone conform to it when people come in all shapes, sizes, and types?

Your body knows what the most stable position for your feet is.  It's completely automatic, too.  This is just a natural way for the body to tell the instructor where his base is.  

Awesome!

• Like (+1) 2