Richie Incognito Arrested in Arizona for Disorderly Conduct and Making Threats

I can understand if some people find it hard to feel a little empathy for the guy but the "glad this POS is off the team" and "this guy is a worthless !@#$" comments are just ignorant as sh*t.

Has the man done some stupid and insensitive things in his life? Yes. But he's still a human being. After the whole Miami scandal he went into treatment and found out a lot about himself. He was diagnosed with several mental health disorders, I won't name them because I don't recall specifically what they were and I don't want to spread misinformation. But, while he was still out of the NFL, nearly a year after the scandal, he did an interview where he talked about these issues, his therapy and the coping mechanisms he had developed to keep his symptoms at a manageable level. With that treatment, he revived his career and put in three straight Pro Bowl seasons with the Bills. Not once did he have any off-the-field issues and I don't recall him getting any major in-game penalties.

Within the last six months, the dude has lost the two most important things in his life: football and his father, who was his idol. Combine that with the fact that he already has a difficult time handling stress and he's bound to find himself in situations where he loses control. 

What I'm saying is not a defense of him but an explanation, which, I think is a fair thing to consider before writing him off as a "worthless POS" or whatever ignorant BS someone wants to refer to him as.

I hope he can get his sh*t together and find a direction in life. And I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he was already suffering from early signs of CTE.

• Like (+1) 3

Most people do have empathy for him.  But at some point he needs to act like a human.  We all have suffered loss, but even with mental illness most adults don't go nuts and threaten people..  or throw weights at a dude in a gym.  

• Like (+1) 1

Man, I feel for this guy. I recently lost my mom, very tragically, and have not been the same since. I have been on Richie's side his entire career and will continue to be. What gets lost in this all is that "boys will be boys" but we are all still human at some point. Dealing with the human side of ourselves is not always easy.

2 hours ago, GG said:

Eerie parallel to Justin Strelszyk

I remember when he was killed. Happened on the Thruway not far from my house... I wanna say I was about 14. I believe he was running the wrong way down the Thruway.

56 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

CTE has been found in high school football players. 

My question about CTE is why all the focus seems to be on football?   Ice Hockey on average (Mens and Womens) has an incident rate of .66 per 1000 exposures, which is higher than football.   Soccer has an average (Mens and Womens) just below that of American football.   Lacrosse and wrestling are close in terms of numbers as well.  So my question is why are the reports, and lawsuits around the CTE issue in football predominant?   Could it be the popularity and money associated with the game?

I hope the guy gets the help he needs.  But to put the blame on CTE seems a little reckless in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, jr1 said:

anti-anxiety drugs make you depressed and anti-depressants make you anxious. It's hard to find the right combo for someone like him

There are many anti-anxiety drugs that also treat depression. In fact, anxiety is often a manifestation of depression. Zoloft for one.

2 hours ago, GG said:

Eerie parallel to Justin Strelszyk

You can also see Barret Robbins life since Super Bowl 37. Robbins was on the BALCO list and he's been diagnosed as bipolar. Incognito is right there with him, assuming steroids, and more than likely he's been diagnosed.

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Aaaaaaand we've reached peak 2018 Bills offseason.

On a serious note, though...Richie's is a very sad story. It seems pretty clear that he has mental illness that was under control for a while, but seems to have come back full force. I hope he gets the help he needs.

Yeah...we will reading more about him and I don't think that it will be good. I really thought that he had turned a corner after that incident in Miami.

13 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

See ,if we just brought him back none of this would have happened, poor guy is lost without football.

We had a signed contract with him.  Not coming back was his choice.  

The Bills, his agent, and Richie agreed to a new contract and everything was there.  A month later Richie decides on Twitter to fire his agent and retire.  

He had football, but something went off and that is on him.  From what you hear - family, friends, teammates have all reached out, but if he doesn’t want help there is little you can do.

Since then you have had the incident at the gym, his bizarre twitter support of Shady, his weird interaction on social media about the Vikings including calling a respected head coach a liar and other nasty things - including the fact that he does not want to be a part of training camp.  Now you have the death of a father and then this outburst and arrest.

It is sad, but it was not about Buffalo - all of this is on Ritchie and if he wants to get right he will need to accept help.

• Like (+1) 3