We Learn A Lot About Allen When He Plays the Browns

Shaw66

I asked this same question in probably the wrong thread for its. But Williams being the DC for the Browns really makes me curious...especially since it’s been said the Browns were interested in Allen...

i would really like like to get some opinions. I know you guys clearly know your stuff.

Does being a high-profile, slightly controversial pick—with many who questioned essentially his processing ability—but no question about his physical gifts—

make it more likely for teams in the preseason want to bring the heat against Allen...just to see how the big boy handles it? Just out of their own intrigue?

Idk if that’s a radical thought or not?

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

All good brother, we just see this particular case differently.  And to clarify I am not saying Ego is not involved, as Ego is part of confidence.  But I am saying there is a difference in being competitive and letting Ego drive your actions.  Allen strikes me as the kind of guy who is confident, competitive, but also highly intelligent and doesn't let his ego drives his decisions.  So while I have no doubt he wants to start, I also do not think he's putting pressure on himself to make that a reality week 1.  I think he is just focused on being the best player he can, not being the starter week 1.  I am sure he hopes those 2 go hand in hand, but nothing about him makes feel like he has internal pressure to start week 1.  

Now we're getting somewhere.   You believe he knows the starting job is on the line and he knows how to handle the pressure that knowledge creates.    I HOPE he can do that, and that was exactly my point in starting the thread.  Will he choke under that pressure, or will he handle it?   I don't know.  

9 minutes ago, GoodHands15 said:

I asked this same question in probably the wrong thread for its. But Williams being the DC for the Browns really makes me curious...especially since it’s been said the Browns were interested in Allen...

i would really like like to get some opinions. I know you guys clearly know your stuff.

Does being a high-profile, slightly controversial pick—with many who questioned essentially his processing ability—but no question about his physical gifts—

make it more likely for teams in the preseason want to bring the heat against Allen...just to see how the big boy handles it? Just out of their own intrigue?

Idk if that’s a radical thought or not?

As a HC or DC looking towards the future,

Myself personally, I think its just taking advantage of an opportunity to gain valuable knowledge , along with an ability to add wrinkless to the development of an opponent's young QB prospect that you really don't have much to go on yet at the NFL level IMO.

Skins and Packers brought a little heat last night...

6 minutes ago, Figster said:

As a HC or DC looking towards the future,

Myself personally, I think its just taking advantage of an opportunity to gain valuable knowledge , along with an ability to add wrinkless to the development of an opponent's young QB prospect that you really don't have much to go on yet at the NFL level IMO.

Skins and Packers brought a little heat last night...

Yeah that would probably make more sense.

I’m a big Allen fan, obviously he has much to grow on but hope he’ll rise up.

I just like to think, as much as he has the WOW moments in the fans eyes, I wonder what opposing coaches, etc feel when they see him live. It would almost make me want to test him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Now we're getting somewhere.   You believe he knows the starting job is on the line and he knows how to handle the pressure that knowledge creates.    I HOPE he can do that, and that was exactly my point in starting the thread.  Will he choke under that pressure, or will he handle it?   I don't know.  

Ha, well not really quite where I was going with that, but I like your move there haha.  I know he knows the job is his to take, I just don't agree he feels pressure to need to take it by week 1 and is focused not on taking it by week 1, but just being the best QB he can be each day and focused on being even better the next.  

22 hours ago, Foxx said:

i think Allen starts against the Browns.

That wouldn’t make sense to me. He spent the whole week playing with the 2’s as far as I know, it would be strange to start him without  giving him time with the ones. I am guessing he is with the 2’s primarily and plays 2nd and 3rd quarters.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

That wouldn’t make sense to me. He spent the whole week playing with the 2’s as far as I know, it would be strange to start him without  giving him time with the ones. I am guessing he is with the 2’s primarily and plays 2nd and 3rd quarters.

This is what I believe.  He plays as well or better than last week he starts next week.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

Its the preseason, if we are making these types of judgments over tune up games...

I honestly dont see a way Allen starts this seaosn regardless of how he looks in the preseason.

yeah ok buddy, then how would YOU decide???????????

51 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Im ok with him being the underdog. I think he is too. 

He's been the underdog his whole career. It was his belief in himself that has gotten him to this point.  He's not arrogant, but he does believe completely that he's got what it takes and he's out to prove it.  I wouldn't bet against him.

giphy.gif

Seven thoughts from Friday’s preseason action

3. The Bills have done their best to feign a quarterback battle in Buffalo, but it’s clear that Josh Allen is the best of the three signal callers. The entire mood of the Bills’ offense changed once Allen replaced A.J. McCarron against the Browns, and Allen showed deft movement in the pocket on his touchdown pass at the goal line when he probably could have run the ball in but trusted his arm more. McCarron suffered a right shoulder injury during the game, and the Buffalo News reported it's a fractured collarbone. That narrows the competition to Allen and Nathan Peterman, and while Bills coach Sean McDermott may drag this competition on a few more weeks, but don’t be surprised when he finally announces Allen as the Week 1 starter around Labor Day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
57 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

Playing last year behind Wyoming's bad O line has helped prepare him for his time with the Bills. That touchdown play was frickin' great. Pure instincts and reaction. Looked like something from Aaron Rodgers. 

Another poster mentioned it in another thread but the back of the endzone pass to Logan Thomas on final drive of the first half was a great play as well.  If that is any true #1 receiver in the NFL that is a TD.  I think if you can put a line in front of him next season and weapons at WR and TE, we could have an absolute powerhouse offense.  The kid looks like the real deal to me. 

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

56 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Another poster mentioned it in another thread but the back of the endzone pass to Logan Thomas on final drive of the first half was a great play as well.  If that is any true #1 receiver in the NFL that is a TD.  I think if you can put a line in front of him next season and weapons at WR and TE, we could have an absolute powerhouse offense.  The kid looks like the real deal to me. 

I agree, I was wondering while watching the game if the Cleveland fans might have been secretly wishing they had drafted Allen.