National Josh Allen buzz after 1 preseason half

3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Ask this question again in a few weeks. We Bills fans love our pick now as well as the other teams love theirs as well. Thinks should become clearer as the season moves on.

Funny thing though as I recall that most of this board acted gut punched when they saw Allen get drafted over Rosen.

What do you mean "we"? Other than showing he has a Jeff George arm and was inaccurate with it, I didn't see anything to change my opinion that McBeane made a huge mistake paying what they did for this kid. If winning the SB is the goal, the record shows that none of the dominant QBs - Starr, Bradshaw, Montana, Aikman, Brady - were big arms. But it's early, and I'm hoping against hope he turns out to be "The One."

Edited by yungmack

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

Hey @transplantbillsfan, thanks for sharing all those tweets (etc). Appreciate you taking the time to do that! 

Agreed. And Transplant was so against Allen before the draft. Open mind is a good thing, folks.

1 minute ago, yungmack said:

What do you mean "we"? Other than showing he has a Jeff George arm and was inaccurate with it, I didn't see anything to change my opinion that McBeane made a huge mistake paying what they did for this kid. If winning the SB is the goal, the record shows that none of the dominant QBs - Starr, Bradshaw, Montana, Aikman, Brady - were big arms. But it's early, and I'm hoping against hope he turns out to be "The One."

And by paying what they did, you mean #12 and two second round picks. That's not mortgaging the future. It's a bargain if he's a franchise qb. Favre and Elway were big-armed qbs, btw. It's not like a strong arm precludes winning a SB. It ought to be obvious it's a good thing if one isn't a knucklehead and can learn from mistakes. So far, Allen is promising.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Bad Things said:

instead of punting they should just have Josh Allen go out on 4th down and throw a 78 yd intereception every time

— PFTCommenter (@PFTCommenter) August 10, 2018

?  I never actually thought of something like this before.  Do any of you know if teams have done something like this in the past?  Kinda like a Hail Mary play I suppose.

So as the defender bats the ball down and then the line of scrimmage is back where the Bills snapped it .........78 yds in the wrong direction.

BTW I thought the kid looked pretty good with those turnstiles in front of him ;)

Must have felt like he was back in Wyoming with that line and the drops ;) 

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, CowboyBill said:

The crazy thing about this whole Allen story is, Firebough knew what they had in Allen and they couldn’t give him away. He fell into Wyoming’s lap after their first choice got a P5  offer. Everybody crapped all over him the second Mel Kiper mentioned his name. The thought was he could never succeed in the NFL because he didn’t play for a power conference. Wyoming knew what they had though. The Bills fans now see what he is and can become but most people still think he is trash. He’s just going to have to prove himself once again. The kid has not been handed an ounce of credit besides from his coaches, his teammates, and his teams fans who will look past some coachable flaws.

I had never been a Bills fan before the draft, but I am a huge Josh Allen fan and am now a Bills fan because he was my guy at Wyoming. The way JA plays will win you over. He’s going to make dumb mistakes and at times you’re just going to say “what the hell was that” but you’ll use that same phrase when he does something no other person can physically do. I created an account here at TBD right after the draft and it has been funny to see how the tides are shifting from negative JA to I NEED more JA in my life. If he doesn’t start week one, then his last preseason game will be the last time you see one of his “you’ve got to be shi++ing me, that’s not even possible” plays while listening to the media and everybody else bag on him being a bust, all the while knowing you NEED more JA in your life. Just know, JA has been hearing all the hate and he has a fire in his belly that will not let him fail. Soon enough everyone will know too and you will be able to say, “ I told you so”. 

Welcome to Bills Nation. Glad to have you on the wagon train. I'm thrilled we were able to move up in the draft to get JA. He is raw but the talent cannot be denied. His throws are going to be on the weekly NFL highlight reels. This is a QB driven league. The big time QBs and their teams are promoted by the league. He can make crazy good throws and he's going to be fun to watch. Other rookie Qbs may have better completion %, but they don't make the throws JA makes.

• Like (+1) 1

Really entertaining to see all the hype now.

What he has showed so far with the Bills was clear as day on his college tape, at the combine, and at the Senior bowl.  

Kid is an IMMENSE talent with a reasonable chance to be special.  He was surrounded by horrid talent at Wyoming.  We got lucky, if Allen goes to a better school he goes #1 overall.

Edited by SWATeam
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I've said this elsewhere - Allen's throws remind me of Eichel's passes - it's like the ball has eyes on it.  

Man I wish I got to see Eichel more.

I’m over here stuck watching 2 time Art Ross winner McDavid every game.

Edited by Jay_Fixit

1 hour ago, CowboyBill said:

The crazy thing about this whole Allen story is, Firebough knew what they had in Allen and they couldn’t give him away. He fell into Wyoming’s lap after their first choice got a P5  offer. Everybody crapped all over him the second Mel Kiper mentioned his name. The thought was he could never succeed in the NFL because he didn’t play for a power conference. Wyoming knew what they had though. The Bills fans now see what he is and can become but most people still think he is trash. He’s just going to have to prove himself once again. The kid has not been handed an ounce of credit besides from his coaches, his teammates, and his teams fans who will look past some coachable flaws.

I had never been a Bills fan before the draft, but I am a huge Josh Allen fan and am now a Bills fan because he was my guy at Wyoming. The way JA plays will win you over. He’s going to make dumb mistakes and at times you’re just going to say “what the hell was that” but you’ll use that same phrase when he does something no other person can physically do. I created an account here at TBD right after the draft and it has been funny to see how the tides are shifting from negative JA to I NEED more JA in my life. If he doesn’t start week one, then his last preseason game will be the last time you see one of his “you’ve got to be shi++ing me, that’s not even possible” plays while listening to the media and everybody else bag on him being a bust, all the while knowing you NEED more JA in your life. Just know, JA has been hearing all the hate and he has a fire in his belly that will not let him fail. Soon enough everyone will know too and you will be able to say, “ I told you so”. 

You know that literally has nothing to do with people not liking him ...

do do you know how many good QBs have come out of non power conference schools?

nobody disliked Big Ben cause he played in the MAC

it had nothing to do with the school 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You know that literally has nothing to do with people not liking him ...

do do you know how many good QBs have come out of non power conference schools?

nobody disliked Big Ben cause he played in the MAC

it had nothing to do with the school 

I agree with this. I don’t think fans didn’t like Allen because he went to Wyoming. The completion percentage was the OVERWHELMING issue people had. Is he accurate enough? 

I was against both Allen (low comp % was my red flag) at draft time and Peterman after the that last throw in the playoffs (a soft ball on a short out almost INT'd).

After camp reports and the 1st preseason game I'm over that and I am now looking for some consistency to see it if is truly for real or just an anomaly. 

Proof is always in the pudding. 

I was also very impressed with the 1st string OL and WR crew... but that had a lot to do with Peterman's quick release and timing that he had going for him.

Edited by ddaryl

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I agree with this. I don’t think fans didn’t like Allen because he went to Wyoming. The completion percentage was the OVERWHELMING issue people had. Is he accurate enough? 

Exactly. Not that completion % = accuracy but yes people were suspect over 57%

to think we didn’t like him cus he was a Wyoming Cowboy is ludicrous 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I will say with absolute certainty that there is not a timetable. I think if you go back to the press conferences you will find that both McDermott and Beane have said so.  

And I'd guess there is not one coach on the Bills who would say with absolute certainty that Allen will never be as precise as Brady or Brees.  Allen is going to be a much better QB in five years than he is now. 

I am confident that there is no coach on this team and in this league who will say that Allen will ever be as precise as Brady or Brees. If you think otherwise that is fine. 

With respect to plan/timetable or whatever word you are comfortable with of course it is predicated on how Allen advances.

Edited by JohnC

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I am confident that there is no coach on this team and in this league who will say that Allen will ever be as precise as Brady or Brees. If you think otherwise that is fine. 

...because Brady's KNOWN precision had him go in the 6th at #199?......your foresight can only be explained by Windex on your "crystal bawls" I assume.....hindsight is a beautiful thing...SMH....

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

If the the other team doesn't intercept the ball then it comes all the way back to the line of scrimmage. Otherwise teams would have always done this.

I propose that on 4th down the hall becomes a live ball so that even if the other team doesn't intercept it then ball goes to where it lands or rolls. For the offense however they have catch the ball. It would be too easy for the offense to just pick a lose ball and advance it from there.

this would also eliminate the punting  game along with the punter and longsnapper making more roster spots for position players. It would also greatly reduce injuries that comes with the kicking game.

This would be stupid no? If the ball lands incomplete the opposing team would take is from the original LOS.

18 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...because Brady's KNOWN precision had him go in the 6th at #199?......your foresight can only be explained by Windex on your "crystal bawls" I assume.....hindsight is a beautiful thing...SMH....

Brady is a HOF qb who is one of the most accurate passers in the history of the game. I'm confident that Allen will never attain that extraordinary level of accuracy. If you think otherwise then so be it. 

Edited by JohnC

36 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Exactly. Not that completion % = accuracy but yes people were suspect over 57%

to think we didn’t like him cus he was a Wyoming Cowboy is ludicrous 

I never said it was because he was from Wyoming. What I’m saying is he has never had the chance to play with a lot of talent surrounding him. Do you suppose that if he had played in a power 5 with real receivers and an offensive line that didn’t resemble a colander he might have had a better completion percentage? When he has time to stand in the pocket, he can be lethal and the entire field is his playground. All I’m really trying to say is he has a lot of haters because he’s always been in less than ideal situations. Wentz was absolutely able to dominate at NDSU, but that team was already world beaters. The year before Allen came to Wyoming they were 2-10.  If you had put Allen at NDSU would he have dominated too? Don’t know and we never will, can he dominate in the NFL with good coaching and talent that is on par with the rest of the league? Maybe. He just needs the chance to show it. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Brady is a HOF qb who is one of the most accurate passers in the history of the game. I'm confident that he will never attain the level of accuracy. If you think otherwise then so be it. 

...HARDLY my point....I'm talking about the EXPECTATION when he was drafted in the 6th at #199......apologize if that was somehow misconstrued from my post.....