National Josh Allen buzz after 1 preseason half

3 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Let me add something that hasn't been directly mentioned.    Being able to throw an accurate 50+yard pass makes everything else so much more effective.  The deep square-in now becomes an easy pass because the CB has to respect being beat REALLY deep.  Every fake by the WR is now better because the DB has to delay a split second to guard against being  beat deep.   The free safety is now a deep safety and his job becomes being around to bail out other DB's who might be beat.    The Bills can get a "Bob Hayes" type WR and the defenses have to think about double covering him- giving everybody else more room. (Bullet Bob Hayes was a 100 yard dash track star who converted to football.  Originally, he had few moves but he could outrun anybody by 5 -10 yards.   https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=bob+hayes#id=1&vid=2bf9866750ef31fc10fc0bc1fb92b0e3&action=click )    A nice thing about this type of player is that most teams can't use them and also most teams don't have DB's who can match them 1 on 1.   A cheap draft pick can get you a home run guy that the other teams have to game plan against.

WHOOOT !!

Yeah, everyone knows Allen's potential. 

No one knows if he can get there.

Best way is to go slow and steady, follow the correct path, be consistent, and not get burnt out. McBeane is in no rush or under any pressure to start Allen.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

If the the other team doesn't intercept the ball then it comes all the way back to the line of scrimmage. Otherwise teams would have always done this.

I propose that on 4th down the hall becomes a live ball so that even if the other team doesn't intercept it then ball goes to where it lands or rolls. For the offense however they have catch the ball. It would be too easy for the offense to just pick a lose ball and advance it from there.

this would also eliminate the punting  game along with the punter and longsnapper making more roster spots for position players. It would also greatly reduce injuries that comes with the kicking game.

I think it would actually increase injuries. Do you know how dangerous Hail Marys are?

• Haha (+1) 1

Seems to me that Allen deserves to have better talent around him.

It's one thing to bring people on slowly, it's another to hamper their development, by lumbering them with the least talented of the roster.

Imho, all 3 QBs did well with what they were asked to do.

Peterman got the quick timing, short throw offense, and ran it well. But I'm not sure they called more than one or two run plays.

McCarron got more of what I would expect to see the Bills do come regular season, i.e. more run heavy with a fair amount, and mixture, of passing plays.

Both Peterman and McCarron got generally, decent protection.

Allen was left with the colander of O-Lines, WRs who either couldn't catch, or weren't quick enough (Ray Ray excepted), and ended up having to make plays for himself, because his options disappeared, almost before he made his first read. I'm not sure that those set of circumstances are helping his development, at all.

McCarron and Peterman are both looking composed and comfortabe, which is a good thing. Allen looked composed, but wasn't given the opportunity to look comfortable. Give him that chance, and see what he can make of it.

After watching the condensed version of the game, I was encouraged by what I saw generally, Peterman and McCarron were pretty efficient. Allen has probably the strongest arm I've ever seen, with ridiculous velocity. That velocity is what makes him such a stand out prospect. I don't necessarily want him thrown out there immediately, I'll be happy enouh if any of them are named the starter, but I think everyone needs to see where his development is, and that's only going to comeby getting pre-season series with better talent around him.

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, eball said:

I really wonder what Daboll and McD are thinking after they reviewed the game tape.  Does Josh get a few more reps with the ones since he flashed his ability to make eye-opening plays and didn't show any signs that the big stage was too much for him?  Even the postgame comments from teammates were somewhat telling -- they are also in awe of his talent.

If the coaches aren't afraid Josh will make big mistakes to lose games, there's really no justification for not playing him when you consider his ability to make huge plays that the other two QBs simply aren't capable of making.  I suppose it also comes down to the coaches being confident that Josh can "move the sticks" even when the big play isn't there.

McD was right yesterday when he said his job just got tougher.

Yes he did get more reps with the 1s in practice yesterday 

Ben Allbright was not impressed by the TD pass. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Bad Things said:

instead of punting they should just have Josh Allen go out on 4th down and throw a 78 yd intereception every time

— PFTCommenter (@PFTCommenter) August 10, 2018

?  I never actually thought of something like this before.  Do any of you know if teams have done something like this in the past?  Kinda like a Hail Mary play I suppose.

The problem is if the other team is smart.  They have no reason to catch the ball other than stat sheet.  Most likely a 78 yard pass would just get knocked down due to field position.

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

The high points showcased above are examples of the things Allen can do, as have long been acknowledged by even his fiercest critics.  Tremendous arm, great velocity, at times can deliver big time home run type throws.  

The problem is the other stuff.  The first pass of the game: big arm, big throw....3 yards out of bounds.

47% completion percentage for a half of football.

The Panthers game did not reveal new insight into Allen's potential, it showcased exactly who he is and who he has been.

Here's hoping he can morph into a substantially more consistent, accurate passer. 

You're right dude.  9 more drops and he'd have been 0%.

• Haha (+1) 4

33 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I think it's a win/win for them to start the season with Peterman or McCarron and trade the other guy

If the starter does good, then they can be praised for making a good choice and being patient with Allen.

If the starter does bad, they can officially move on to Allen with little drama and begin the Allen era, for better or worse.

On the other hand, if they start Allen and he does bad, they'll be questioned forever about why they threw him to the wolves and didn't start the vet. They'll have to go back and forth from Allen to vet to Allen and maybe back to vet again, possibly ruining Allen's confidence and career along the way. That's a nightmare scenario.

Just do what KC did with Mahomes. Follow that natural progression of QBs and they'll be fine.

I agree with all of this except trading the other guy - at least not right away. They should keep three QBs on the roster. None of them are taking up a huge amount of cap space.

Once the season gets going and our #1 and #2 QBs are well established, it's possible that another team will need a QB due to injury. At that point, they may be able to get enough in return to make a trade worthwhile.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, WhoTom said:

I agree with all of this except trading the other guy - at least not right away. They should keep three QBs on the roster. None of them are taking up a huge amount of cap space.

Once the season gets going and our #1 and #2 QBs are well established, it's possible that another team will need a QB due to injury. At that point, they may be able to get enough in return to make a trade worthwhile.

Yeah. 

The lesser of the vets is the odd man out. Get the highest value you can for him and pack his bags.

This allows for the natural progression of QBs.

3 hours ago, RichardLee said:

Yeah, the guys was impressive and showed so much promise that we really have a lot to be excited about.  I think Beane and McDermott are absolutely spot on in letting him grow, build his skills and confidence, develop chemistry with his receivers, and then maybe get him a big time stud No. 1 receiver FA or next draft around.  I wouldn't even be upset if they took their time and Josh Allen didn't become the starter until later this year or even next year. 

Excited about our QB?  Wow, that's a change and I'm loving it!

Yeah the calls for playing him more now are wrong.  We’ve seen the disaster that results from starting QB’s too early.  It is such a change to know that QB may become a position of strength on the roster.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

The high points showcased above are examples of the things Allen can do, as have long been acknowledged by even his fiercest critics.  Tremendous arm, great velocity, at times can deliver big time home run type throws.  

The problem is the other stuff.  The first pass of the game: big arm, big throw....3 yards out of bounds.

The Panthers game did not reveal new insight into Allen's potential, it showcased exactly who he is and who he has been.

Here's hoping he can morph into a substantially more consistent, accurate passer. 

There ya go with that bs exaggerating you do again, the first pass wasn’t even 3 feet out of bounds let alone 3 yards. If you want people to take you seriously, stop the agenda and at least be honest.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

I really wonder what Daboll and McD are thinking after they reviewed the game tape.  Does Josh get a few more reps with the ones since he flashed his ability to make eye-opening plays and didn't show any signs that the big stage was too much for him?  Even the postgame comments from teammates were somewhat telling -- they are also in awe of his talent.

If the coaches aren't afraid Josh will make big mistakes to lose games, there's really no justification for not playing him when you consider his ability to make huge plays that the other two QBs simply aren't capable of making.  I suppose it also comes down to the coaches being confident that Josh can "move the sticks" even when the big play isn't there.

McD was right yesterday when he said his job just got tougher.

I'm wondering if Allen moves up to the #2 spot vs Cleveland? McCarron starts, Allen 2nd, Peterman mops up. All part of the process. Then Allen starts PS#3! :w00t:

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Let me add something that hasn't been directly mentioned.    Being able to throw an accurate 50+yard pass makes everything else so much more effective.  The deep square-in now becomes an easy pass because the CB has to respect being beat REALLY deep.  Every fake by the WR is now better because the DB has to delay a split second to guard against being  beat deep.   The free safety is now a deep safety and his job becomes being around to bail out other DB's who might be beat.    The Bills can get a "Bob Hayes" type WR and the defenses have to think about double covering him- giving everybody else more room. (Bullet Bob Hayes was a 100 yard dash track star who converted to football.  Originally, he had few moves but he could outrun anybody by 5 -10 yards.   https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=bob+hayes#id=1&vid=2bf9866750ef31fc10fc0bc1fb92b0e3&action=click )    A nice thing about this type of player is that most teams can't use them and also most teams don't have DB's who can match them 1 on 1.   A cheap draft pick can get you a home run guy that the other teams have to game plan against.

WHOOOT !!

Great post and I agree. I think this is part of the reason they let had him launch a 60 yard wrist flick on his first play.

JA is the anti-Peterman. DBs will not be able to sit back and jump routes. Allens arm talent opens everything up more. And of course to maximize it, you need speed.

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

It revealed something different to me.  It showed how a below average completion % and ypa can be totally unrelated to having an inherent accuracy issue.  Just miss on two deep shots, throw one away, make a desperation heave on a blown up play, have two dropped and have two throws that were not matched up with the routes that were run.  I did not see a QB with an inherent accuracy problem in those attempts he made.  Quite the contrary.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think the thing alot of folks who don't watch him don't realize how dramatic the arm talent is.

I have heard his arm compared to contemporaries like Rapistburger, Stafford, Cutler, even Losman, etc...

Fact is it's one of the best pure arm talent (maybe the best) I've ever seen. When he lets it go, it's special, just plain different. The velocity, the arch, and honestly for all of his talk of inaccuracy, puts it on a spot even when off balance, throwing on the run, or with an awkward motion/sidearm or whatever. 

It's not just a "strong armed guy". He is now THE strong armed guy in the NFL. Move over flacka and rapist.

• Like (+1) 7

It's funny how much this board is split. I for one had my eyes opened watching that game. Most of the miscues were not on Allen it was on Ford or the Oline or the WR making the wrong break. Josh did show that he threw the ball to the wrong spot as well. I think at least one of those deep balls should of been caught. He was under pressure allot and behind the sticks from penalties too many times. Having him play with the ones or even the twos I think you would see a different result. This team always seems to have some depth issues and you could see the drop off as soon as the third stringers came in.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, ganesh said:

This from Mike Catalana...

"I loved his lack of fear in letting the ball go."

I think this was the thing that impressed me the most.   (Well, can't not be impressed with the arm strength.)   

Allen seems to understand what he's supposed to do on each play and does it.   No hesitation.   See it, do it.  

I commented yesterday about the throw over the middle to the receiver crossing from right to left.  The underneath defender was directly in the line of sight between Allen and the receiver.   Allen let it fly, knowing that the receiver would be open when the ball arrived.  Allen knew the route, he understood the defense and he threw when he was supposed to.   It was, in some ways, an ordinary NFL throw, but not one Taylor regularly made.   What impressed me about it was that Allen seemed completely comfortable doing it.   No double clutch, nothing.   See it, throw it.  

• Like (+1) 2