National Josh Allen buzz after 1 preseason half

I'm still buzzing from his display of arm, legs, poise, pocket awareness. Decision making, audibles, reading defenses... that's all up in the air for sure for now,. Like the exciting "running QBs", you know you'll get abysmal games and some amazing ones, some extraordinary highlights mixed among misses and miscues that high level QBs shouldn't do. Difference though, is that running QBs are all about them. With Allen, WR can sprint deep every route knowing they just might get the ball! Clay has gone deep too at times. Don't tell me the opposing defenses will crowd the box and force him to pass! He can stretch the field. Even his first out-of-bound pass is a warning to other teams that you better watch the deep pass! I can see that helping Shady who is soooo good once the initial holes are made for him.

As other have mentioned, if the coaches make him develop, build confidence and all for the whole year, and then get one good OL and WR for next year. Sure, fine plan. And Nate and AJ performed well too! But come on, as a fan, Allen brings an excitement I don't recall having for a QB since following the Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

I think the thing alot of folks who don't watch him don't realize how dramatic the arm talent is.

I have heard his arm compared to contemporaries like Rapistburger, Stafford, Cutler, even Losman, etc...

Fact is it's one of the best pure arm talent (maybe the best) I've ever seen. When he lets it go, it's special, just plain different. The velocity, the arch, and honestly for all of his talk of inaccuracy, puts it on a spot even when off balance, throwing on the run, or with an awkward motion/sidearm or whatever. 

It's not just a "strong armed guy". He is now THE strong armed guy in the NFL. Move over flacka and rapist.

I agree.   My only problem was that a few times I thought he looked like Cutler in terms of arm talent, and the thought that he could be another Cutler is not comforting.  It's too soon to tell, but he didn't look like he was the pure gunslinger that Cutler always was.   He seems to play with discipline.  

Pure arm strength, after one preseason game, I have to say that I don't think there is anyone in the recent pro game who compares with him.  Maybe Elway.    

He's one of those guys the receivers have to get used to because the ball arrives so quickly and with such velocity.   And there's a benefit to that velocity, because although his receivers get used to it, the defenders usually don't.   So defenders often assume that he can't and won't make a throw that he does.   And the defenders often miss interceptions because of the velocity.

I'm excited now.   Maybe he doesn't start right away, but he will start eventually.   I think he's a candidate for the job right now.  I'd compare him to a talent like Odell Beckham, Jr.   (I'm not suggesting he's a headcase like OBJ, just talking about his talent.)   A guy like OBJ shows up, you have to put him on the field, even if he has some rookie flaws and/or immaturity.   He's just that good.   Allen looked to me like that kind of talent.  Inexperienced, not seeing everything yet, not by a long shot, but he's simply going to make plays for you that the other QBs never will.    

That kind of talent will put relentless pressure on McDermott to start him.  McD probably is telling Daboll to double down on teaching Allen what he needs to know.   

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The thing to me that was exciting is that he made some plays that other guys can’t. I mean there are some GREAT QBs that could have made that throw to Lee or that TD throw. Brady and Brees couldn’t have. Now before off someone goes on about claims that he is better than Brady or Brees that’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying those guys couldn’t have physically made that throw to Lee off his back foot or gotten that ball through traffic to McCloud. His arm talent is insane. There are glimpses of greatnesses. He has to get more consistent but it is pretty obvious why the football community was so high on him.

You make an interesting point that the challenge for Allen's development is not making the eye popping plays but making the more routine plays on a consistent basis. My sense is that this staff has a plan mapped out for Allen. McDermott has without revealing it repeatedly stated that he has a plan (time table) for Allen. I'm confident that the timetable falls within his rookie year. 

I don't foresee Allen being a precision passer in the mold of Brady and Brees with an emphasis on a quick rhythm passes. He will never have that innate pocket presence that those two HOFers have. But from a style perspective I see him having a Rodgers and Favre type of style where he can extend plays with his athleticism and then let it rip. I'm not comparing him to these Green Bay players but referring to their unbridled styles. 

1 hour ago, DefenseWins said:

SO.... If there was a "Redraft" after this game... How high would Josh Allen be drafted???

Ask this question again in a few weeks. We Bills fans love our pick now as well as the other teams love theirs as well. Thinks should become clearer as the season moves on.

Funny thing though as I recall that most of this board acted gut punched when they saw Allen get drafted over Rosen.

11 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

I'm still buzzing from his display of arm, legs, poise, pocket awareness. Decision making, audibles, reading defenses... that's all up in the air for sure for now,. Like the exciting "running QBs", you know you'll get abysmal games and some amazing ones, some extraordinary highlights mixed among misses and miscues that high level QBs shouldn't do. Difference though, is that running QBs are all about them. With Allen, WR can sprint deep every route knowing they just might get the ball! Clay has gone deep too at times. Don't tell me the opposing defenses will crowd the box and force him to pass! He can stretch the field. Even his first out-of-bound pass is a warning to other teams that you better watch the deep pass! I can see that helping Shady who is soooo good once the initial holes are made for him.

As other have mentioned, if the coaches make him develop, build confidence and all for the whole year, and then get one good OL and WR for next year. Sure, fine plan. And Nate and AJ performed well too! But come on, as a fan, Allen brings an excitement I don't recall having for a QB since following the Bills!

Lots of times we're talking about the eyeball test.   My eyeballs tell me that's an NFL quarterback.  

And the excitement you talk about isn't shiny-new-toy excitement, like when you get a special kick returner and wideout.   This guy plays the position where he touches the ball every play, and that means every play there's a chance that some really good things are going to happen.  

I mean, I was generally a Tyrod fan.  I kept looking for him to improve in certain areas, to make some major league throws.   His critics always said he never would, and over time I agreed.   And before that we had EJ and Fitzy and you know the list.   In one half of preseason football, Allen showed that he is unlike ANY guy who has started for the Bills since Kelly.   

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Good post Shaw66 and JohnC!

But just think about this: when was the last time we were that excited for a preseason game? I can tell for me: never. In the last 10 years, the most excited I've been by far is of course that 4th & 12 by Dalton :) Before that, it was the first game of the TT/Rex Ryan era. We had the same great defense and all kind of new tools on offense that injuries prevented us from ever seeing in action before the 1st game of the season. The Colts were considered a playoff team (experts spot on as always right?) and the Bills dismantled them, on defense AND offense as TT had beautiful deep  balls, we got to see Shady in action, etc. Hell, I even liked Rex being all bravado and making the next game against the Pats so important. It didn't turned out so well (!) but those were exciting days. To feel this now for a preseason game is special! 

22 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think this was the thing that impressed me the most.   (Well, can't not be impressed with the arm strength.)   

Allen seems to understand what he's supposed to do on each play and does it.   No hesitation.   See it, do it.  

I commented yesterday about the throw over the middle to the receiver crossing from right to left.  The underneath defender was directly in the line of sight between Allen and the receiver.   Allen let it fly, knowing that the receiver would be open when the ball arrived.  Allen knew the route, he understood the defense and he threw when he was supposed to.   It was, in some ways, an ordinary NFL throw, but not one Taylor regularly made.   What impressed me about it was that Allen seemed completely comfortable doing it.   No double clutch, nothing.   See it, throw it.  

What's more, he froze the safety by looking right first.

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You make an interesting point that the challenge for Allen's development is not making the eye popping plays but making the more routine plays on a consistent basis. My sense is that this staff has a plan mapped out for Allen. McDermott has without revealing it repeatedly stated that he has a plan (time table) for Allen. I'm confident that the timetable falls within his rookie year. 

I don't foresee Allen being a precision passer in the mold of Brady and Brees with an emphasis on a quick rhythm passes. He will never have that innate pocket presence that those two HOFers have. But from a style perspective I see him having a Rodgers and Favre type of style where he can extend plays with his athleticism and then let it rip. I'm not comparing him to these Green Bay players but referring to their unbridled styles. 

I think you are incorrect in your assumptions on a couple of points. 

First, there's a huge difference between a plan and a time table.  McD has a plan; he doesn't have a time table.   Allen will advance as fast as he can and McD will start him when he's ready.  That might three weeks, it might be three months.  McD won't start him if he isn't ready, and he won't keep him on the bench if he IS ready but it's earlier than some time table suggested.   

Second, I don't think there's any reason to conclude that Allen won't be the precision pass Brady and Brees are.   It's WAY too early to jump to a conclusion like that.   In their early years, Brady and Brees weren't nearly as good as they have been later in their careers.   No way the Chargers would have let Brees go if he'd played as consistently well in his first three years as he did later.   I'm not saying Allen IS a Brady or Brees; I'm just saying that what he will become is anyone's guess.   The one thing the pre-draft analysts agree on was that Allen's ceiling is almost unlimited, and he didn't do anything Thursday night to suggest that there are limits.  

Great thread.  Pretty sad that I go into work and all my co workers start talking smack about the 4th down play.  Not one of them even knew he threw a TD due to the media focusing on his one bad play.  Good to see that not everyone in the media is clueless.  This kid could be scary good.  Emphasis on could be, but if could be turns to reality, we’re going to be a powerhouse for years to come.  ??

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ben Allbright was not impressed by the TD pass. 

I don't think people are thinking the ball went through the defenders arms or something lol. The defender dove late because that ball was a laser!
Edited by Rise Up Lights

5 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

The high points showcased above are examples of the things Allen can do, as have long been acknowledged by even his fiercest critics.  Tremendous arm, great velocity, at times can deliver big time home run type throws.  

The problem is the other stuff.  The first pass of the game: big arm, big throw....3 yards out of bounds.

47% completion percentage for a half of football.

The Panthers game did not reveal new insight into Allen's potential, it showcased exactly who he is and who he has been.

Here's hoping he can morph into a substantially more consistent, accurate passer. 

Ooo no another Completion % = Accuracy guy. 

I’m really excited with Josh’s performance! He just needs time, how much is what I’m not sure of.

2 things I took as positive:

He got hit right on the chin and chest after he threw. He sat there for a moment but that was it. Didn’t seem fazed at all afterwards. He also said in the locker room later that it takes getting hit a couple of times for it to feel like football again. Gotta love that!! This guy LOVES the game! We could have a good one finally Bills fans!!!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Great thread.  Pretty sad that I go into work and all my co workers start talking smack about the 4th down play.  Not one of them even knew he threw a TD due to the media focusing on his one bad play.  Good to see that not everyone in the media is clueless.  This kid could be scary good.  Emphasis on could be, but if could be turns to reality, we’re going to be a powerhouse for years to come.  ??

Turn over via an interception or turnover on downs, not much different in my mind.  At least before the snap and the play blew up I was thinking "no matter what, do not take a sack, take a chance."  Well that could have been a pick six due to how badly things were executed.  It's odd to see the QB roll to the same side as the play fake.  The defender did not have to make a choice on the angle to the ball and was in position to defend both the RB or the rollout.  Something wasn't right from the get go.

59 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

It's funny how much this board is split. I for one had my eyes opened watching that game. Most of the miscues were not on Allen it was on Ford or the Oline or the WR making the wrong break. Josh did show that he threw the ball to the wrong spot as well. I think at least one of those deep balls should of been caught. He was under pressure allot and behind the sticks from penalties too many times. Having him play with the ones or even the twos I think you would see a different result. This team always seems to have some depth issues and you could see the drop off as soon as the third stringers came in.

I don’t see a depth issue though.  Your depth is 1st and 2nd string.  We dominated the first half with those guys in.  If not for an interception that was half on Ivory/half on Peterman, we probably throw 20+ points on the board that half.  

3rd stringers, for the most part, aren’t making the roster.  You watch them to see if anyone stands out.  That guy for us was Ray Ray McCloud.  

The second halves of preseason game 1 are unwatchable.  It’s basically a scrimmage between cuts and practice squad players. That’s why I’m not in love with putting Allen with the 3s.  Baker and Darnold all got run with the 2s and then a mix of 2s and 3s.  

Edited by SCBills

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think you are incorrect in your assumptions on a couple of points. 

First, there's a huge difference between a plan and a time table.  McD has a plan; he doesn't have a time table.   Allen will advance as fast as he can and McD will start him when he's ready.  That might three weeks, it might be three months.  McD won't start him if he isn't ready, and he won't keep him on the bench if he IS ready but it's earlier than some time table suggested.   

Second, I don't think there's any reason to conclude that Allen won't be the precision pass Brady and Brees are.   It's WAY too early to jump to a conclusion like that.   In their early years, Brady and Brees weren't nearly as good as they have been later in their careers.   No way the Chargers would have let Brees go if he'd played as consistently well in his first three years as he did later.   I'm not saying Allen IS a Brady or Brees; I'm just saying that what he will become is anyone's guess.   The one thing the pre-draft analysts agree on was that Allen's ceiling is almost unlimited, and he didn't do anything Thursday night to suggest that there are limits.  

Of course the timetable/plan is not iron clad. That's not what I meant. That would be a foolish thing to implement. Whichever word you are more comfortable with they are not mutually exclusive. What I am comfortable in saying is that this staff is not going to throw Allen in as a starter until he is ready enough to handle the role. And that will be determined by the rookie player. 

With respect to the issue of precision passing I simply disagree with you about what Allen is capable of. You may consider it too early to come to that conclusion but I don't. He has a different style of play than those two HOF qbs, Brees and Brady. I say with absolute certainty that Allen will never be as precise of passer as those two special qbs. If you think otherwise that is fine.   

12 minutes ago, Bring it said:

I’m really excited with Josh’s performance! He just needs time, how much is what I’m not sure of.

2 things I took as positive:

He got hit right on the chin and chest after he threw. He sat there for a moment but that was it. Didn’t seem fazed at all afterwards. He also said in the locker room later that it takes getting hit a couple of times for it to feel like football again. Gotta love that!! This guy LOVES the game! We could have a good one finally Bills fans!!!

What else I gather is I'm sure McD and Daboll get on him in practice about taking risky chances. It seems to be who the kid is and I don't think he'd give a rats ass about throwing a pick if he was trying to make a play (Mentally) I want my teams qb to have the short memory after a bad play and not become a total headcase (Peterman). Allen can flat out make throws that noone else on this roster can. It's up to the coaching staff to coach him up before we inevitably trot him out there. I think the game is already slowing down for Allen. Once he gets it down......holy @#$&ing #@#t he's gonna be special.

Edited by BeefCurtns

41 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I agree John. He is going to make a lot of big plays but is never going to be a 70% completion guy. Corey Coleman is a nice addition based on what I saw the other day. Allen is going to challenge teams down the field and do some damage. It is the touch passes and the easier throws that need improvement.