National Josh Allen buzz after 1 preseason half

15 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I don’t see a depth issue though.  Your depth is 1st and 2nd string.  We dominated the first half with those guys in.  If not for an interception that was half on Ivory/half on Peterman, we probably throw 20+ points on the board that half.  

3rd stringers, for the most part, aren’t making the roster.  You watch them to see if anyone stands out.  That guy for us was Ray Ray McCloud.  

The second halves of preseason game 1 are unwatchable.  That’s why I’m not in love with putting Allen with the 3s.  Baker and Darnold all got run with the 2s and then a mix of 2s and 3s.  

i am really curious/excited to see how he does with the ones/twos. the guy that stood out to me was mike love????...i thought i knew this roster from top to bottom. man he looked good. i gotta keep an eye out for him.

edit: just read his bio...very interesting. an edge rusher by trade. i can't wait to see more of him these next few weeks. if he plays like he did the other night, i can see him spelling lorax.

Edited by billsredneck1
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i am really curious/excited to see how he does with the ones/twos. the guy that stood out to me was mike love????...i thought i knew this roster from top to bottom. man he looked good. i gotta keep an eye out for him.

I agree, he was great the other night. The guy was super disruptive.

2 hours ago, Buddo said:

Both Peterman and McCarron got generally, decent protection.

Allen was left with the colander of O-Lines, WRs who either couldn't catch, or weren't quick enough (Ray Ray excepted), and ended up having to make plays for himself, because his options disappeared, almost before he made his first read. I'm not sure that those set of circumstances are helping his development, at all.

Fair assessment but he was also playing against like talent meaning 3rd and 4th stringers.  So things even out. 

He also owned up to the most stakes he made which is good.   

I dont necessarily see a need at this time to rush anything and the FO seems to be of the same mindset.  

Desperate times call for desperate measures and  I don’t see desperate 

19 minutes ago, BeefCurtns said:

What else I gather is I'm sure McD and Daboll get on him in practice about taking risky chances. It seems to be who the kid is and I don't think he'd give a rats ass about throwing a pick if he was trying to make a play (Mentally) I want my teams qb to have the short memory after a bad play and not become a total headcase (Peterman). Allen can flat out make throws that noone else on this roster can. It's up to the coaching staff to coach him up before we inevitably trot him out there. I think the game is already slowing down for Allen. Once he gets it down......holy @#$&ing #@#t he's gonna be special.

Lol Kirby.  

Did I read that wrong?  You called Peterman a total head case?   

Let the angst go.    

(and I’m not the only one who has noticed this trend)

Less than 50 % buy a gnats hair.   

He meed time to develop 

5 hours ago, Bad Things said:

instead of punting they should just have Josh Allen go out on 4th down and throw a 78 yd intereception every time

— PFTCommenter (@PFTCommenter) August 10, 2018

?  I never actually thought of something like this before.  Do any of you know if teams have done something like this in the past?  Kinda like a Hail Mary play I suppose.

If they did that, "Bad Things" would happen

47 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Great thread.  Pretty sad that I go into work and all my co workers start talking smack about the 4th down play.  Not one of them even knew he threw a TD due to the media focusing on his one bad play.  Good to see that not everyone in the media is clueless.  This kid could be scary good.  Emphasis on could be, but if could be turns to reality, we’re going to be a powerhouse for years to come.  ??

Obviously your co-workers didn't watch the game … their perception will change when Allen plays on a Sunday.

4 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

Obviously your co-workers didn't watch the game … their perception will change when Allen plays on a Sunday.

Definitely didn’t watch the game.  I’m in Vegas, game wasn’t shown til 7am the following day on NFLN.  They just saw thing on social media and thought they knew what they were talking about.  I was thoroughly impressed with him and I’m much happier about drafting him.  Just one half of preseason football vs 3rd stringers (while our 3rd stringers were monumentally worse than Carolinas, minus Allen), but he looked pretty poised in the pocket, his athletic ability jumped off the screen and his arm will go down has the best to date.  Just wow, is what I thought about his play.

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Definitely didn’t watch the game.  I’m in Vegas, game wasn’t shown til 7am the following day on NFLN.  They just saw thing on social media and thought they knew what they were talking about.  I was thoroughly impressed with him and I’m much happier about drafting him.  Just one half of preseason football vs 3rd stringers (while our 3rd stringers were monumentally worse than Carolinas, minus Allen), but he looked pretty poised in the pocket, his athletic ability jumped off the screen and his arm will go down has the best to date.  Just wow, is what I thought about his play.

I didn't see the tape until this a.m. but just from listening on WGR I also thought "wow"!

24 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Well. if they remember seeing JP/EJ-esque QB play from the Bills, that 4th-and-3 is easy smack fodder, I would've used it too on Ravens fans if it was Lamar Jackson. Me, I loved what I saw, he's definitely not a statue like Bledsoe. More, please. :thumbsup:

Edited by Rico

2 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

Don't tell me the opposing defenses will crowd the box and force him to pass! He can stretch the field. Even his first out-of-bound pass is a warning to other teams that you better watch the deep pass! I can see that helping Shady who is soooo good once the initial holes are made for him.

This why I want to see Allen start with the 1s at some point. Not right away but some time this year. Defenses will have to watch every level of the field. I think Daboll will be looking to catch opposing defenses off guard a lot. When you have the natural abilities of Shady McCoy and Josh Allen on the field at the same time you can create mismatches. Our play action should be incredible when he's the starter.

Edited by HappyDays

7 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

The high points showcased above are examples of the things Allen can do, as have long been acknowledged by even his fiercest critics.  Tremendous arm, great velocity, at times can deliver big time home run type throws.  

The problem is the other stuff.  The first pass of the game: big arm, big throw....3 yards out of bounds.

47% completion percentage for a half of football.

The Panthers game did not reveal new insight into Allen's potential, it showcased exactly who he is and who he has been.

Here's hoping he can morph into a substantially more consistent, accurate passer. 

That's my take as well. Still, it's only one game. 

The crazy thing about this whole Allen story is, Firebough knew what they had in Allen and they couldn’t give him away. He fell into Wyoming’s lap after their first choice got a P5  offer. Everybody crapped all over him the second Mel Kiper mentioned his name. The thought was he could never succeed in the NFL because he didn’t play for a power conference. Wyoming knew what they had though. The Bills fans now see what he is and can become but most people still think he is trash. He’s just going to have to prove himself once again. The kid has not been handed an ounce of credit besides from his coaches, his teammates, and his teams fans who will look past some coachable flaws.

I had never been a Bills fan before the draft, but I am a huge Josh Allen fan and am now a Bills fan because he was my guy at Wyoming. The way JA plays will win you over. He’s going to make dumb mistakes and at times you’re just going to say “what the hell was that” but you’ll use that same phrase when he does something no other person can physically do. I created an account here at TBD right after the draft and it has been funny to see how the tides are shifting from negative JA to I NEED more JA in my life. If he doesn’t start week one, then his last preseason game will be the last time you see one of his “you’ve got to be shi++ing me, that’s not even possible” plays while listening to the media and everybody else bag on him being a bust, all the while knowing you NEED more JA in your life. Just know, JA has been hearing all the hate and he has a fire in his belly that will not let him fail. Soon enough everyone will know too and you will be able to say, “ I told you so”. 

• Like (+1) 7

7 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

...interesting how the urinalists and so called experts out there dissed the kid....yet ex-QB's like Quinn, Sims, Dilfer, etc (we're not talking about their stats) think very highly of him...

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Of course the timetable/plan is not iron clad. That's not what I meant. That would be a foolish thing to implement. Whichever word you are more comfortable with they are not mutually exclusive. What I am comfortable in saying is that this staff is not going to throw Allen in as a starter until he is ready enough to handle the role. And that will be determined by the rookie player. 

With respect to the issue of precision passing I simply disagree with you about what Allen is capable of. You may consider it too early to come to that conclusion but I don't. He has a different style of play than those two HOF qbs, Brees and Brady. I say with absolute certainty that Allen will never be as precise of passer as those two special qbs. If you think otherwise that is fine.   

I will say with absolute certainty that there is not a timetable. I think if you go back to the press conferences you will find that both McDermott and Beane have said so.  

And I'd guess there is not one coach on the Bills who would say with absolute certainty that Allen will never be as precise as Brady or Brees.  Allen is going to be a much better QB in five years than he is now.