Josh Allen ain’t bad

1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

I was thinking Allen would be #2 next week ...or hoping.

He's still number 3. After tonight, they may have the order set at 1. Peterman. 2. McCarron and 3. Allen

Divvy up the reps accordingly and get this ball rolling.

18 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

It’s an easy thing to say when Peterman and AJM play lights out. Folks will be singing a different tune as soon as those two show how “average” they really are.

It almost sucks that both played so well tonight because seeing Allen with the 1’s or 2’s would give us more insight and that’s not going to happen next week. 

Allen needs to improve each week, he was patient in the pocket but things need to develop faster. Tough to tell if that was him, the WRs or both.

Foster did himself no favors nor his QB. If you want to make the team you have to lay out for that ball, instead he throws up the mitts in a half baked attempt. 

Life is dealing with disappointment.

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Trying to think of the past Bills QB's who showed that kind of arm.  Bledsoe, Lamonica, maybe James Harris.  Tasker was saying that Gale Gilbert had a cannon.  Anybody else?  

It was impressive. I think Ray Ray was bruised after that TD pass.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Still has a long way to go but the potential is clearly there...after tonight now I can totally see the comparisons that were made to his ceiling being a more athletic Ben Roethlisburger

I believe the comparison was actually a more athletic and less rapey Ben Roethlisburger. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 7

He seemed calm, but almost a little too calm. I'd like to see a little more fire from him.

But... it's preseason. Probably won't see that till the regular season when games actually matter (if he plays).

I thought he was impressive as hell tonight. Sure he had some "rookie" moments, but I loved the way he handled "the little things" throughout the game. Like when he took a shot in the chest early picking up the first down on 3rd and 4, he handled that great in terms of not letting it show (much) how much it hurt. He made the proper adjustment to a few protections here and there that made a difference, handled the huddle and the clock cleanly as well. And of course he made some effortless throws that were just rockets. 

Give him better weapons, his numbers look even better tonight.

Peterman and AJM played well, and that's gravy for this team. Uptown problems. I don't mind Allen being given the whole second half again next week and flipping Peterman/AJM's spots. Whoever wins gets the start in Baltimore after two games, then give Josh time with the ones in week three (a drive or two after the half). I'm still guessing he ends up starting more games than not by year's end. He's just too good to deny. 

Edited by Deranged Rhino
  • Like (+1) 3

b

Bottom line - JA good - kinda shoulda been expected no??.....Peterman?  WHERE IS SAVIORPETERMAN???????  Must be a high level meeting somewhere.....wow - better than I would have ever thought - BUT it WAS preseason....still against the 1's....AJ looked like I hoped he would.  I really really hope the AJ/Peterman thing is worked out....one or both of them need to start for 6-10 games....and then the Allen train rolls in and takes over - heck I wouldn't care if it took a lil longer than that....just get and let the kid come up to speed - no need to throw him into anything cray cray....heck if the Bills can get a pick from a Peterman/AJ trade all is good no???

Lets Go Bills.....

PS.  Looks like Daboll is HEAD and SHOULDERS better than Dennison huh??

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

For some on this board and their obvious NFL expertise over the likes of Jim Miller and Phill Simms I was waiting for a stuttering idiot that was supposed to be the next Jamarcus Russell and what I saw was a kid who needs time but man this kid with a little refinement looks like a damn good prospect

"Ain't bad", along with your quick synopsis, sums it up perfectly.

Agree whole-heartedly.

I took away a few things:

1. He's not startimg this year

2. He need's to mature and command the huddle

3. He's frickin' huge

4. The arm talent is undeniable, can make awkward and off-balance throws because of it.

5. #4 leads to INT's. But I saw shades of Favre. Obviously I have no idea if he ends up good or not, but it's that creativity, the shear god-given football throwing ability coupled with the willingness to sling it. Fun to watch.

33 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I thought he was impressive as hell tonight. Sure he had some "rookie" moments, but I loved the way he handled "the little things" throughout the game. Like when he took a shot in the chest early picking up the first down on 3rd and 4, he handled that great in terms of not letting it show (much) how much it hurt. He made the proper adjustment to a few protections here and there that made a difference, handled the huddle and the clock cleanly as well. And of course he made some effortless throws that were just rockets. 

Give him better weapons, his numbers look even better tonight.

Peterman and AJM played well, and that's gravy for this team. Uptown problems. I don't mind Allen being given the whole second half again next week and flipping Peterman/AJM's spots. Whoever wins gets the start in Baltimore after two games, then give Josh time with the ones in week three (a drive or two after the half). I'm still guessing he ends up starting more games than not by year's end. He's just too good to deny. 

I was mega-impressed when he launched towards the endzone on the free play from the defense. It's been a while since we had a QB who would recognize the free play, take the shot, and have the tools to actually have a chance to make the play.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

For some on this board and their obvious NFL expertise over the likes of Jim Miller and Phill Simms I was waiting for a stuttering idiot that was supposed to be the next Jamarcus Russell and what I saw was a kid who needs time but man this kid with a little refinement looks like a damn good prospect

????????????

You can't be serious?!?!

He looked like that in college... bad foot work, over thrown balls...late decision making. But out of nowhere... he'll make a few throws that will "Wow" you...

Allen is a project, he was a project during college, coming out of college... & nothing has change. He has a little talent... but was he worth a 1st like the 5 experts thought? Heck no!

Other experts like Bucky Brooks, DJ, Charles Davis, heck our own best reporters, Sal, Joe B, Fairburn, ect... all said he should be a 2nd rd pick, but given the position it's not going to happen.

That's what people got confused on. Just cause he was projected to go in the 1st doesnt mean he was suppose to go in the 1st. Projects like Allen shouldn't sniff the 1st... but it's a QB league..& this stuff happens.

This is why something's I love what McBeane has done & some things I don't. 

Like, what made then not want Deshaun Watson??? What made him not worth the 11th pick 2 years ago? Yet, the Pegula's went gushing over Allen??? How you not gush over Watson??? 

But hey drafting Allen was bold... & like I've said... "Its a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off"

13 minutes ago, rodneykm said:

He has immense potential that the negative Nancy's will try their best to put down. He wasn't perfect tonight ( again queue the Negative Nancy's), but for a rookie he was impressive.

EJ & JP looked better then Allen in their preseason games... that's facts...not being negative 

Edited by Scorp83
Typo
  • Haha (+1) 1

You could absolutely see the rawness - even for third stringers, these were the fastest defenders he's ever played against. He made some playbook errors. 

But his footwork and pocket presence were miles better than the paper offensive line in Iowa made me think they were. I also saw some NFL-speed progression on that rope to RayRay. 

And Jesus, that arm. 

I'm confident the front office will do well with this kid, and let him cook slowly and learn, and we might have a gem if they get that part right. 

Edited by arcane

22 minutes ago, rodneykm said:

He has immense potential that the negative Nancy's will try their best to put down. He wasn't perfect tonight ( again queue the Negative Nancy's), but for a rookie he was impressive.

He spent a lot of his snaps running for his life because the 3rd strong oline wasn’t that great. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

It’s an easy thing to say when Peterman and AJM play lights out. Folks will be singing a different tune as soon as those two show how “average” they really are.

It almost sucks that both played so well tonight because seeing Allen with the 1’s or 2’s would give us more insight and that’s not going to happen next week. 

Allen needs to improve each week, he was patient in the pocket but things need to develop faster. Tough to tell if that was him, the WRs or both.

Foster did himself no favors nor his QB. If you want to make the team you have to lay out for that ball, instead he throws up the mitts in a half baked attempt. 

It went right through his mits. He didnt have to lay out. He just needed to grab it.