Aaron Donald. Are the Rams thinking of trading him?

8 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I just don’t understand how the franchise tag is acceptable to anyone??

Well, owners love it because they are not tied to an expensive long term deal.  Players thought they would love it because they would be highly paid when it was utilized.  I don't think he player's foresaw they owners using i so much though or 2 years in a row on the same guy and now they are regretting it after seeing how it played out.  I think it will be revisited in the next round of CBA negotiations for sure and will be a huge bargaining chip for the owners to get something else they want more.  Probably their biggest one.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

36 year old LT who single handily has the most impact of any olineman in the entire NFL last season. 

Gurley got paid.

Marcus Peters contract jumps up next season because it’s his fifth year option and he will need a LTD soon.

Goff will cash in.

Talib is at 11/m this year then 8/m next year. That’s money spend and well worth it. 

They can’t pay Peters, Goff, Donald, Joyner etc.

Donald is a better player than Whitworth, who is still good. He's also better and more impactful than every other player here outside of Goff. Indeed, he's probably the best defensive lineman in the league, and he gets to the qb too (40 sacks in 4 seasons). Spending money on a borderline-unhinged thug like Peters over Donald seems crazy to me. 

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

He is a great player, it’s a tough decision no doubt about it. I just see all that talent and I’m not limiting my cap for a DT. He was on the field when the Falcons held the ball for 38 minutes in the playoff game. 

I suggest looking at this. Note Whitworth. https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/07/nfl-los-angeles-rams-falcons-playoffs-pro-football-focus-grades/

Donald had 11 pressures!

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

If there is any accuracy to Astro’s tweet about Van Nuys than I hope that it’s for Donald. 

It's funny enough that a meaningless tweet created 20 pages on the other thread, let's not bring it into this one with Donald being the target now.....

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/3/2018 at 12:39 AM, RocCityRoller said:

I believe the Bills have a better chance at Mack than this scenario for all the reasons I've posted elsewhere. Darnold is going nowhere, but Mack is in play.

Agreed, the Rams are in more of a win-now mode than the Raiders. The whole Rams defense hinges on Darnold generating massive pressure up the middle (They don't really have great edge rushers.) The Rams have too much invested into this season trading away a lot of picks for win-now talent, they aren't going to tank their defense by trading Darnold. The Raiders have a mentality that their defense was bad with Mack so they can be bad without Mack. Thus I could see a scenario where if a boatload of picks were offered the Raiders would be willing to part with Mack.

On 8/3/2018 at 10:59 AM, dave mcbride said:

Donald is a better player than Whitworth, who is still good. He's also better and more impactful than every other player here outside of Goff. Indeed, he's probably the best defensive lineman in the league, and he gets to the qb too (40 sacks in 4 seasons). Spending money on a borderline-unhinged thug like Peters over Donald seems crazy to me. 

I suggest looking at this. Note Whitworth. https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/07/nfl-los-angeles-rams-falcons-playoffs-pro-football-focus-grades/

Donald had 11 pressures!

Donald might be the best defensive player in the league. The Rams have a lot of players to play in the future but I they could front load the deals for the first two years so that Geoff and Peters contracts won't be up for renewal until 2 years from now. I would also imagine that Talib and Whitworth would be significant contracts that come off the books once you have to pay Geoff and Peters. 

My overall impression is that the two most important players for the Rams are Geoff as the key piece on the offense and Donald as the centerpiece for the defense. Every other player on the team is more expendable than those two.

On 8/3/2018 at 9:31 AM, thenorthremembers said:

Total contract is one thing, but the per year numbers would speak to a much different scenario.

The three highest paid by year wideouts are

Brown- 17/yr

Evans- 16.5/yr

Hopkins 16.2/yr

Defensive Tackles

Cox 17.1/yr

Short 16.1/yr

Dareus 15.85/yr

So, I think its closer than we think.   In terms of what 3-4 Defensive Tackles make a year (the scheme Donald is currently in) Michael Brockers is the highest paid guy at 11.083/yr

My chart is attempting to show that when comparing the players you mentioned in your previous post, the Wideouts meant more in terms of success in the playoffs.  Lot of variables there, most notably quarterback. 

Yikes, that Dareus contract. I'm surprised we haven't heard news outta Jacksonville that they asked him to restructure and take a pay-cut. He's not even seeing like, 60% of the snaps there. He's rotational now whereas he used to be a full-time starter. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Dareus because of all the tragedy that's surrounded him his whole life. But, at a certain point, he's gotta decide whether he really wants to play ball and keep his nose clean or continue to be a knucklehead and get himself in trouble. Hopefully he focuses on the former but who knows anymore. Could be one of the best DTs in the league if he could just keep himself motivated.

7 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Yikes, that Dareus contract. I'm surprised we haven't heard news outta Jacksonville that they asked him to restructure and take a pay-cut. He's not even seeing like, 60% of the snaps there. He's rotational now whereas he used to be a full-time starter. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Dareus because of all the tragedy that's surrounded him his whole life. But, at a certain point, he's gotta decide whether he really wants to play ball and keep his nose clean or continue to be a knucklehead and get himself in trouble. Hopefully he focuses on the former but who knows anymore. Could be one of the best DTs in the league if he could just keep himself motivated.

I feel for the guy in terms of the loss he has suffered in his life, grief is a heavy thing.  However, it's just one thing in a long list of terrible things people deal with in life.   That said, Dareus is 28 years old, he will have his whole life to grow up and make amends, seek forgiveness etc.  But the time to play ball is slowly dwindling.

48 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They are going to trade Kyle, Star, and Horrible Harry for Donald.    Announcement at halftime.

That would be terrible.  I see the sarcasm...

On 8/3/2018 at 5:15 AM, GunnerBill said:

Donald is the ACTUAL best defensive player in the NFL.  I would take him 100 days out of 100.  

Yeah he was a prime example of guy teams talk themselves out of drafting........despite the fact that he was probably the toughest DL to block to enter the draft in a decade.

I couldn't stir much interest in him here........but in fairness some of that was the lack of the Bills NEED on the DL and most fans only focus on patching on-paper needs at draft time.