Allen already a factor in QB race ?

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

What the Cover 1 guys have said is that AJM has probably been the most consistent QB through 4 days but Josh Allen's day 3 was the best single day that any of them has put in so far. 

Ultimately task 1 for Josh this pre-season was put yourself in the mix early in camp. He has done that. 

Task 2 is move up the depth chart. I am pretty certain the plan for pre-season game 1 is that he is the #3 and plays most of the second half. He has to come out of that having passed Peterman on the depth chart. 

Task 3 is then to show in practice and games 2 and 3 that he gives the Bills a better shot to win than AJM. 

Solid analysis

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Again, 20% of the way to where it would be reasonable to believe he's a factor.

This is unreasonable.  20% of the way to being a factor in the race?   Allen is 100% of the way to being a factor.   Why:

Because he's in the rotation of first-team reps, according to McDermott.  He would be getting first-team reps is he weren't someone who's actively in the competition for the starting position.  That's true across ALL the positions on the team.  

Also, because EVERYONE, except maybe you, agrees that Allen is the most imressive of the three physically.   Biggest, strongest, fastest, best thrower in purely physical terms.   All of those things are factors in becoming the starter, just like accuracy, decision-making, leadership and other things.   A guy who leads in several categories, and Allen certainly does, is a factor in the competition.  

The standard you've set is the standard for who's WINNING the competition, and I'll agree with that there is nothing credible that suggests he's WINNING.   But a FACTOR in the competition?  You think that McCarron and Peterman would tell you that Allen isn't a credible factor in the competition?  Not for a second.   They see him throwing the ball, and they both know they don't throw like that.  

24 minutes ago, nucci said:

So a team without a starting QB , drafted one No.7 overall and he is a factor in the race to start? Shocking

Exactly.   If he WEREN'T a factor, that would be news.   Of course he's a factor.  

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

What the Cover 1 guys have said is that AJM has probably been the most consistent QB through 4 days but Josh Allen's day 3 was the best single day that any of them has put in so far. 

Ultimately task 1 for Josh this pre-season was put yourself in the mix early in camp. He has done that. 

Task 2 is move up the depth chart. I am pretty certain the plan for pre-season game 1 is that he is the #3 and plays most of the second half. He has to come out of that having passed Peterman on the depth chart. 

Task 3 is then to show in practice and games 2 and 3 that he gives the Bills a better shot to win than AJM. 

THIS my man, THIS.

I will actually watch the first preseason game for the first time in years due to this! I want to see Allen play well in that second half, even if its with nobodies vs. nobodies. I want to see him take the lead, communicate and command. Hopefully we plays well, but its a lot of the other intangibles that are important for the coaches to see in-game as well. 

As you pointed out, what he has done so far is show that be belongs in the conversation. Now improve every day and lets see what happens.

8 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Allen has really grown on me. The kid has "it."

Watch the Cover 1 videos of the last two days of camp to see how impressed they are with Allen. And Dabol. AND the OL. It really gives me hope. 

Good to see you coming around.

How Bills QB Josh Allen is trying to fix his short-throw issues

PITTSFORD, N.Y. – Josh Allen knows his critics are out there. He just doesn’t know, or care, what they say about him.

He does know, however, why he struggles sometimes on shorter throws, and what he has to do to correct it.

In an interview with Postmedia following the Buffalo Bills’ fourth practice of training camp at St. John Fisher College, the 6-foot-5 237-pound cannon-armed rookie went there, in some detail.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/28/2018 at 11:06 PM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

There is a thread each for McCarron and Peterman, so I felt it was only fitting that one was started for the real QB.

Our defensive line is stout but I haven't heard much about our QBs being under pressure. It seems we finally have a good offensive system and MAYBE these Olineman can make it work.

Actually, I thought we'd heard a lot about our QBs being under pressure.  There were reports the first couple days that Allen was "touched out" at the top of his 5 step drop, and that numerous throws could be seen to have been a sack IRL.  The OL reportedly improved between Day 1 and Day 2 or Day 3, but still a lot of pressure on a lot of plays, QB throwing it away etc.

18 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

How Bills QB Josh Allen is trying to fix his short-throw issues

PITTSFORD, N.Y. – Josh Allen knows his critics are out there. He just doesn’t know, or care, what they say about him.

He does know, however, why he struggles sometimes on shorter throws, and what he has to do to correct it.

In an interview with Postmedia following the Buffalo Bills’ fourth practice of training camp at St. John Fisher College, the 6-foot-5 237-pound cannon-armed rookie went there, in some detail.

Great find, 26CB, thanks!  Kid sounds like he's got his head in the right place.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Wouldn't be surprised if he wound up winning the job. The fact that I see multiple reporters tweeting things like, "Allen is out here throwing passes the other two QBs wouldn't even think of trying" is pretty encouraging.

If he does end up the starter, just be prepared for some bumps in the road. And unless he gets hurt, I wouldn't bench him for anything. I don't care if he has a game where he goes 7 for 25 for 84 yards and two picks, just let him take his lumps and come back the next week refocused and ready to go. Don't give him the Losman treatment where they tell him he's the undisputed starter but every time he had a rough series he was benched for Holcomb and eventually Edwards. Allen doesn't need to be looking over his shoulder every time he throws a pick or has a bad series or two, that doesn't help his development at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

IMO let him sit, we don't know how good/bad the oline will be.  We don't know what the offense is even going to look like.  I would let McCarron/Nate battle it out and have Allen as the #3 until at least week 9.   I would stick to whatever developmental strategy they had since the day they drafted him.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

IMO let him sit, we don't know how good/bad the oline will be.  We don't know what the offense is even going to look like.  I would let McCarron/Nate battle it out and have Allen as the #3 until at least week 9.   I would stick to whatever developmental strategy they had since the day they drafted him.  

Having him sit because of OL uncertainty is not part of the consideration.  He'll either start or sit based on the merits of his own development as Beane stated in an interview yesterday. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I argue that they ARE sticking to that developmental strategy. Throw it all at him and see how he handles it and go from there. I know they wont rush him, they will play him when he is ready. why does that HAVE to be week 9? You know that when they drafted him their plan was to "wait until week 9"?

8 hours ago, beerme1 said:

I do

Nobody actually thinks AJ or Peterman would ever qualify as a franchise QB. Do they?

I am all in on McBeane. We haven't had brains like these running this operation in a l o n g time. I 100% trust the process and it's year two of them. Broke the playoff drought year one and legitimately bought time to do whatever the hell it is that they want to do. All in. Trust the process. 100% hand them the keys to the car.  Defend Our Dirt. I'm in.

Will you still be "in" after a 2 or 3 win season in which the Bills fail to score an offensive TD in 4 or more games?  What about multiple losing seasons?

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

How much does this say about Allen versus how much it says about the other 2 guys?

Basically Allen just needs to beat out 2 scrubs.

This really disturbs me.  For all the change in ownership, FO, and coaching staff, the Bills seem to be handling their QBs in 2018 just like they did they did in 2013.

1. released Fitzpatrick before the draft
  2. signed Kevin Kolb as FA - history of numerous injuries over his career
  3. drafted EJ Manuel in the first round of the draft
  4. other QBs: Thad Lewis (udfa), Jeff Tuel (udfa)

1. traded Taylor before the draft
  2. signed AJ McCarron as FA - spent his entire career as a backup
  3. drafted Josh Allen in the first round of the draft
  4. other QBs: Nate Peterman (5th rounder)

For those of you who don't remember 2013, Kolb failed to make it even to the first preseason game, apparently tripping on a bathmat and suffering yet another injury, opening the door for EJ Manuel to become the starter as he then had such great competition.  The Bills in 2018 seem to be much more open about eliminating Allen's competition: they didn't even bother to sign failed starter to pretend to give Allen competition. 

The more I see of McDermott/Beane regime, the more I'm seeing the same old disinterest in winning football games often enough to make the playoffs more than once every 2 decades.

Just now, SoTier said:

Will you still be "in" after a 2 or 3 win season in which the Bills fail to score an offensive TD in 4 or more games?  What about multiple losing seasons?

This really disturbs me.  For all the change in ownership, FO, and coaching staff, the Bills seem to be handling their QBs in 2018 just like they did they did in 2013.

For those of you who don't remember 2013, Kolb failed to make it even to the first preseason game, apparently tripping on a bathmat and suffering yet another injury, opening the door for EJ Manuel to become the starter as he then had such great competition.  The Bills in 2018 seem to be much more open about eliminating Allen's competition: they didn't even bother to sign failed starter to pretend to give Allen competition. 

The more I see of McDermott/Beane regime, the more I'm seeing the same old disinterest in winning football games often enough to make the playoffs more than once every 2 decades.

then you are trying very, very hard to be pessimistic.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Having him sit because of OL uncertainty is not part of the consideration.  He'll either start or sit based on the merits of his own development as Beane stated in an interview yesterday. 

I mean it worked for David Carr in Houston....

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Thanks.   It's obvious, but thanks.   This states correctly when Allen is.   

If he DOESN'T pass Peterman on the depth chart as the result of the first preseason game, then he'll be stuck at 3 with some occasional first-team reps.   At the point, his only realistic objective would seem to be to pass Peterman for the backup spot.   He'll go into the second preseason game playing with the threes, and he'll need the second game to try to climb over Nate.   But by then, AJ will be in the number 1 spot, he'll get first team in the third preseason game and the fourth, and there's essentially no opportunity for Allen to pass him.  

So Allen has a couple of critical weeks ahead of him.  These two weeks likely determine whether he has a shot at starting as a rookie.   He has to show the progress McDermott is looking for; if it doesn't happen now, Allen has a year of grooming ahead of him.  Not the worst thing in the world - if he can't climb the hill fast enough to start this season, then he has a year to climb it.  If he can't climb it by then, the Bills may have gotten the wrong guy.  Only exception would be if AJ really lights it up, Bills go to the playoffs.   Then AJ is the presumptive starter in 2019, and it's tough for Allen to unseat him.  

10 minutes ago, SoTier said:

What makes a failed starter better competition that a guy who hasn't had his chance yet?  A failed starter is a #2 QB or back up QB....just like AJ McCaron is.