7-26 Training Camp Report

NY Nole

36 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Josh Allen is definitely inaccurate. He shows it time and time again in games and practice. Hopefully he stays patient and focused because it'll take a while to improve. 

We tell ourselves "it's only one practice."

Allen needs to tell himself the same. It's one practice, dude. Your first camp practice. Just relax and do what your coaches tell you. Learn from your mistakes. Everything will be fine.

I really don't want to see another QB bust for the Bills. ?

Or to reiterate the mantra we heard out of rookie camp, "try to get better every day"

36 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think Allen is just inconsistent.  He will hit a guy 15 yards downfield in perfect stride but then turn around a miss a RB in the flat 6 yards away.

I view him (very early on impression) that he's going the equivalent to a homerun hitter who hit's around .250 

So a few things I noticed during Sr bowl, combine, etc. 

-I initially from game film saw Allen as "just puzzlingly inconsistent".  If that's what our FO saw, I don't believe they would have drafted him.  They were able to link his inconsistency to certain types of throws and specific lower body mechanics.

-touch.  Allen has one throwing speed - blaster.  when he throws with more touch, like the "floater" pass to DiMarco for which he got a fist-bump from Daboll, it works better

-dump-offs.  That's one of the things that could be seen at the combine - in his workout, you can see he throws those checkdown passes consistently high (and hard).  I assume there's a specific mechanical reason for this beyond just "blaster speed" and they're working with him on it

-roll-outs.  he doesn't use his hips right and the ball doesn't go where it needs to.  one side is worse than the other, I don't remember which.

The Bills FO knows all this, they are betting that they can fix it.  It may get worse before it gets better - that's what happens when the "millipede starts thinking about his feet".

It would be foolish for the fans not to expect to see what's known to be there - a few months working with Jordan Palmer etc is NOT going to fix several years of engrained muscle memory.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So a few things I noticed during Sr bowl, combine, etc. 

-I initially from game film saw Allen as "just puzzlingly inconsistent".  If that's what our FO saw, I don't believe they would have drafted him.  They were able to link his inconsistency to certain types of throws and specific lower body mechanics.

-touch.  Allen has one throwing speed - blaster.  when he throws with more touch, like the "floater" pass to DiMarco for which he got a fist-bump from Daboll, it works better

-dump-offs.  That's one of the things that could be seen at the combine - in his workout, you can see he throws those checkdown passes consistently high (and hard).  I assume there's a specific mechanical reason for this beyond just "blaster speed" and they're working with him on it

-roll-outs.  he doesn't use his hips right and the ball doesn't go where it needs to.  one side is worse than the other, I don't remember which.

The Bills FO knows all this, they are betting that they can fix it.  It may get worse before it gets better - that's what happens when the "millipede starts thinking about his feet".

It would be foolish for the fans not to expect to see what's known to be there - a few months working with Jordan Palmer etc is NOT going to fix several years of engrained muscle memory.

Go Bills!

I think it was bandit who broke down Allen after watching a lot of film.  I remember him saying that he didn't see the inaccuracies on film that he expected to.  Not he didn't see any, just not at the volume that's perceived about him.  I think he had Allen overall 3rd-4th best prospect.

• Like (+1) 1

All the Allen is inaccurate discussion is interesting as he has exactly one pro practice, without pads, under his belt. His college numbers were slightly below the number which deems someone to be ‘accurate’ or not. 

This coaching staff has clearly stated that they are going to take it slow with him (as they should). In additon, for those that were at camp last night, Daboll was talking to each QB after every play. In other words, actively coaching. 

Perhaps we should wait to see how this plays out now that we have a real coaching staff, not the ones from the last 18 years. Just a thought. 

1 hour ago, Awwufelloff said:

Allen will once again prove that taking the guy with the physical tool set over best mechanics/mental game is always a mistake. 

ALWAYS!  Let it play out my guy - it was day ONE and he missed like two passes... :Beer:

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think Allen is just inconsistent.  He will hit a guy 15 yards downfield in perfect stride but then turn around a miss a RB in the flat 6 yards away.

I view him (very early on impression) that he's going the equivalent to a homerun hitter who hit's around .250  

That’s the definition of inaccurate.  

Josh Allen was just on Murphy's show and said, about the last two passes, he had never had to throw a pass like that in college, short dump-offs...everything was medium and long distance. He didn't know whether to throw them overhand or underhand?