Khalil Mack holding out... in Buffalo

9 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Thank you Senator !!

And de diddly delighted to see you posting !

If Bills are EVEN considering this,
 They are not going to give away the farm for him.

Sure its attractive, but say he gets injured year one as a Bill. and you know he wants guarantees . Rightly so.

I would love to see him here. But i think Bills feel they have many more positions to dial in before such a major investment into Top level talent and Top Level cost.

: (

I disagree. Your two most likely starting QBs are on a rookie deal and a friendly late 2 year F/A deal. White, Edmunds, Phillips and Milano (yes I think Edmunds and Phillips will be studs) are also all on rookie contracts. Hyde and Poyer aren't backbreaking deals. Look at how good the secondary did without a pass rush, and a gimpy but effective EJ Gaines.

Generating regular pressure on the QB makes all of the above on defense better. Do you want to wait until you have an 80-100 million deal on a QB to try to bring in a Mack? Draft and hope to get lucky?

Nope.

Dare to dream big. Make the defense a nightmare to face. Take pressure off a new OC and scheme, and 2-3 QBs fighting to be relevant starters. Tell me Shady won't fight to the last to play hard for a team that did him right contractually, kept quiet this off season, and has the Bills within 7 points in any game.....

strike now, the iron is hot. Dare to go big.

22 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

I disagree. Your two most likely starting QBs are on a rookie deal and a friendly late 2 year F/A deal. White, Edmunds, Phillips and Milano (yes I think Edmunds and Phillips will be studs) are also all on rookie contracts. Hyde and Poyer aren't backbreaking deals. Look at how good the secondary did without a pass rush, and a gimpy but effective EJ Gaines.

Generating regular pressure on the QB makes all of the above on defense better. Do you want to wait until you have an 80-100 million deal on a QB to try to bring in a Mack? Draft and hope to get lucky?

Nope.

Dare to dream big. Make the defense a nightmare to face. Take pressure off a new OC and scheme, and 2-3 QBs fighting to be relevant starters. Tell me Shady won't fight to the last to play hard for a team that did him right contractually, kept quiet this off season, and has the Bills within 7 points in any game.....

strike now, the iron is hot. Dare to go big.

I will not argue against your opinion : )
I was spouting about how awesome and game changing it would be. I also think Mack has an interest to play for Buffalo ( opinion )
But thinking for Beanes, i feel they are more conservative in FA than we might like.

No question he is an immediate impact and upgrade. and I would love him a Bill.

and that why i think they won't. its more emotion for me than smarts with budget. McBeanes are on the slow roll.
Whaley would have tripped over his tongue for Mack  : )

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

I will not argue against your opinion : )
I was spouting about how awesome and game changing it would be. I also think Mack has an interest to play for Buffalo ( opinion )
But thinking for Beanes, i feel they are more conservative in FA than we might like.

No question he is an immediate impact and upgrade. and I would love him a Bill.

and that why i think they won't. its more emotion for me than smarts with budget. McBeanes are on the slow roll.
Whaley would have tripped over his tongue for Mack  : )

I'm happy we have a healthy debate here. I respect your opinions. I know my opinion is pie in the sky. But this is the time to do a move like this. The money works out, the draft picks are there, the need is real, and the player likes Buffalo.

Name the last time a superstar NFL player on the ascendancy held out in Buffalo?? Happened to be what we need? Mentioned another player stole his roster spot in Buffalo?

I'll wait. The good karma will only last so long.

Opposed to your thought, I think McBeane showed big balls in their 1 yr tenure.

Cap wise they were strapped for FA this year. Bad contracts, trades, payouts, and cutting players hamstrung this team in FA this off season. People seem to forget the Dareus contract, Watkins, Taylor etc...

Look at last season.

Matthews went down. The FO knew a WR was needed, and they knew Benjamin was available. Maybe KB wasn't the answer but they made the move to address an issue mid-season to get a starting #1 or #2 in the NFL. That is not a timid FO.

Look at the draft.

Did McBean go for the safe option in the other Josh? No. They went up for the big armed kid who would like to play here. Will JA be a stud? I'll wait and see. But they went up for who they wanted in the face of the pundits. That is moxy.

When Edmunds fell, did they sit on their hands? No, they moved up aggressively and got Edmunds.

Not one, but two aggressive moves in the first round, in year one of the McBeane draft marriage. They were bankrupt as far as FA goes and still got Ivory, Davis, Star and Murphy. Maybe only one or two players produce, but not bad for a limited budget. Then with the little cash they had they pivoted and addressed OC and OT with Bodine and Newhouse. Miller was sitting all the while in the garage to help at OG.

Who was playing C when the Bengals beat the Ravens and put Buffalo into the playoffs? That would be Bodine. No one seems to remember that Bodine was the C for the team that helped put Buffalo into the playoffs. He also was the C for a very possible day 1 starting QB in McCarron. That is a strategic move. If Groy beats him out, aok, but if that happens Bodine may be the best backup C in the league, not a bad way to pivot with no $$$ and address an unpredictable retirement at OC.

The team was aggressive in trades last year during the season, did what they could with almost no cap space bringing in legitimate NFL players, and were very aggressive in the draft.

I have to disagree with you in principle. I don't think this FO is gun shy at all.

But I still agree it is a long shot. IMO it is worth taking.

Hell if it takes bringing Whaley in for one day to snake charm his way into getting Mack, then do it. I think he is still being paid. :)

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

If you’re saying a Front 7 that consists of Jerry Hughes, Star Lotulelei, Kyle Williams, Trent Murphy, the #16 pick at LB next to a highly rated Rookie LB from last year is “full of unknowns”, then there’s about 3 teams in the NFL that have a Front 7 that you’d qualify as “known”. 

You're a moron and I don't ever wish to talk to you. Don't quote me ever again, in fact, just put me on ignore.

The front 7 is an unknown at this point. We've seen good front 7s, this has nothing on them. Trent, Star, Jerry, Kyle are all unreliable at this point. I loved the Edmunds pick, but the guy hasnt played a down yet. Don't be a homer, I'm not rooting against these guys. I'm just being objective.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

7 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You're a moron and I don't ever wish to talk to you. Don't quote me ever again, in fact, just put me on ignore.

The front 7 is an unknown at this point. We've seen good front 7s, this has nothing on them. Trent, Star, Jerry, Kyle are all unreliable at this point. I loved the Edmunds pick, but the guy hasnt played a down yet. Don't be a homer, I'm not rooting against these guys. I'm just being objective.

B85521B9-C666-4BD9-A0FB-E73F810858C3.gif

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/1/2018 at 12:30 PM, Cornette's Commentary said:

Look at the schedule and please point out the games where you expect a win.

I think just have Mack on the field wins us 2-3 more games. It’s not just him, but he will elevate the players around him, by stealing attention and having the secondary play against a pressured QB. 

Have we signed him yet?

8 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Can I quote you?  Maybe their unknowns to the casual fan but to people who know the game and players, they're not much of a mystery.  KW and JH are unreliable/unknown?  Maybe just to you. Obviously nobody knows exactly where they'll land but but we've only added veteran talent to the front 7 plus Edmunds. So salty

20 years ago or so holding out was the "in thing" today's it's really not!  So why would the Bills want a guy who's holding out, knowing there's a good chance you sign him now and in another 3 to 4 years when he's now become underpaid, he'll do the same thing here.  And please don't suggest he won't hold out here because he's a hometown kid.   

10 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Kyle Williams is unreliable and an unknown... BWAAAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA.

5 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

20 years ago or so holding out was the "in thing" today's it's really not!  So why would the Bills want a guy who's holding out, knowing there's a good chance you sign him now and in another 3 to 4 years when he's now become underpaid, he'll do the same thing here.  And please don't suggest he won't hold out here because he's a hometown kid.   

I think it's a Gruden thing really.

Why would he not have reached out to Mack many times by now?
Gruden is known as a hard "liner".

Mack and everyone else knows his talent.

I don't think Mack can be defined by this circumstance. I could be wrong i guess.

15 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

The front 7 is probably one of the most "known" on the team......

You know Jerry is good

You know Kyle is good

the other guys consist of starting NFL veterans from other team

Milano played great last year till the late year injury

In all honesty....the ONLY UNKNOWN of that group is the one with the most potential in Edmunds

On August 1, 2018 at 4:39 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

No, but if you are overpaying your head coach, building a new stadium and you can't drill a well for more income, well....

Even the most expensive HC in the league counts for no more than 6% of the free money every team is gifted from the NFL every season.

On 8/3/2018 at 1:37 AM, Ol Dirty B said:

Thanks for the laughs!!!

Edited by Best Player Available

On 8/2/2018 at 5:36 PM, Tommy G said:

I would give up two firsts for Mack. Can you tell me our last two first round picks are going tine better then Mack. I hope Allan and Edmunds are great but Mack has proven it in the NFL  ain’t the same as using two on Sammy from college 

Yo go 1 years back and I'd be over the moon if we got Tre White caliber every 1st. Heck every other 3rd year of Tre White caliber and we're sitting pretty

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

I love all the Captain Hindsight in here. Take a look at our 2014 roster and tell me where we needed help most. That Dline was stacked. The WRs might have been worse than this years going into the draft.

I don't think the wrs were worse than what we have this year.  Watkins, Woods, snd Hogan are definitely better than what we have right now.

On 8/2/2018 at 3:36 PM, Tommy G said:

I would give up two firsts for Mack. Can you tell me our last two first round picks are going tine better then Mack. I hope Allan and Edmunds are great but Mack has proven it in the NFL  ain’t the same as using two on Sammy from college 

The Raiders would be fortunate to get one first round pick for him.   He’s a good player, but he’ll be looking for a massive contract.  No smart team would trade two firsts for him.

40 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

I don't think the wrs were worse than what we have this year.  Watkins, Woods, snd Hogan are definitely better than what we have right now.

Watkins> Benjamin (not by much)

Kerley> Woods (People are underestimating Kerley)

Hogan> Z. Jones (Will be a pleasant surprise if Zay steps up this year, but doubtful)