2019 free agency?

33 minutes ago, mschifano said:

Why Mack they will use the draft to get there stud!!!

Young and CHEAP stud, if we get lucky. Mack will be pricey indeed. But that’s what pipe dreams are all about, I guess. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'd love Quinton Spain from Tennessee at guard - I don't think he would break the bank but is a kind of plug and play option with good starting experience. Ju'wan James at RT is likely to be more pricey but if Dawkins continues to develop and you can start James (one of the top 6 or 7 out and out RTs in the league) opposite him I think you have bookends at the position. 

At wide receiver I am keeping an eye on Kevin White in Chicago... who could even be cut before this season.  Huge talent, completely derailed by injuries but if there is a cheapish reclamation job to do there I'd be interested.  I think a lot of the other WR options are likely to be overpriced for what they bring you.  There are guys who could come in and upgrade the Bills depth at the position but not necessarily give us a really talented stable of weapons.  

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd love Quinton Spain from Tennessee at guard - I don't think he would break the bank but is a kind of plug and play option with good starting experience. Ju'wan James at RT is likely to be more pricey but if Dawkins continues to develop and you can start James (one of the top 6 or 7 out and out RTs in the league) opposite him I think you have bookends at the position. 

At wide receiver I am keeping an eye on Kevin White in Chicago... who could even be cut before this season.  Huge talent, completely derailed by injuries but if there is a cheapish reclamation job to do there I'd be interested.  I think a lot of the other WR options are likely to be overpriced for what they bring you.  There are guys who could come in and upgrade the Bills depth at the position but not necessarily give us a really talented stable of weapons.  

I suggested earlier offering a late round conditional pick for White. The Bears upgraded the WR room this spring. White appears to finally be healthy. He could be a good “buy low” option. Diggs is my top FA target.

I know I’m in the minority but I’d consider Bell if Shady is done (which we don’t know). That would be my “big ticket target.” I like the idea of James as well. The Bills never seem to find the RT. They can use the draft (or even trade) to address WR and interior OL. There have been a few WR trades recently. 

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I suggested earlier offering a late round conditional pick for White. The Bears upgraded the WR room this spring. White appears to finally be healthy. He could be a good “buy low” option. Diggs is my top FA target.

I know I’m in the minority but I’d consider Bell if Shady is done (which we don’t know). That would be my “big ticket target.” I like the idea of James as well. The Bills never seem to find the RT. They can use the draft (or even trade) to address WR and interior OL. There have been a few WR trades recently. 

Before I went for Bell I'd want to see Allen run the screen game and get consistently to his checkdowns (neither are much demonstrated on his college tape - partly by design) because while Bell is obviously a brilliant runner what makes him a potential big ticket item is what he can do in the passing game. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Before I went for Bell I'd want to see Allen run the screen game and get consistently to his checkdowns (neither are much demonstrated on his college tape - partly by design) because while Bell is obviously a brilliant runner what makes him a potential big ticket item is what he can do in the passing game. 

That’s more than fair.

That’s the appeal of Bell. On a team that lacks weapons you’d be getting an elite runner and receiver. You’d wear him out pretty quickly but he can certainly alleviate the pressure on a young QB. 

3 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2019/offensive-line/

Here's where you can find projected 2019 FAs...

i'm still willing to bet that kujo and henderson end up having solid careers. i thought henderson was going to comeback and be the guy, but seems like he never got a shot.

i think mills is still the weak link and i'll never forget what bosa said....

Edited by billsredneck1

17 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i'm still willing to bet that kujo and henderson end up having solid careers. i thought henderson was going to comeback and be the guy, but seems like he never got a shot.

i think mills is still the weak link and i'll never forget what bosa said....

depends on what you mean by "solid careers". I think they might stick around the league as backups/spot starters places. 

Mills does seem like the weak link, but hes survived two different coaching staffs now and has retained his job. I know there has not been much competition, but jesus...he is STILL the starting RT for us. I just dont know what to make of him and that RT situation. (as far as Bosa goes I just think some guys were pissed about TT being benched and truly werent trying)

9 hours ago, bills in oregon said:

With the large amount of Space the bills are going to have. What position or positions would you like them to address? And do you have any players you would like the bills to go after?

Maybe wait to see how this season plays out? What if some players play better than expected.....what if some players play worse than expected....what if some players suffer serious injuries......what if......

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

depends on what you mean by "solid careers". I think they might stick around the league as backups/spot starters places. 

Mills does seem like the weak link, but hes survived two different coaching staffs now and has retained his job. I know there has not been much competition, but jesus...he is STILL the starting RT for us. I just dont know what to make of him and that RT situation. (as far as Bosa goes I just think some guys were pissed about TT being benched and truly werent trying)

.....and that is why he would have been long gone if i were the coach.  maybe connor mcdermott can step up the competition. i actually even think newhouse would be better in pass pro than mills. i  expect opposing defenses to come at us just like last year....stack the box and send the heat from the right side.

7 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

.....and that is why he would have been long gone if i were the coach.  maybe connor mcdermott can step up the competition. i actually even think newhouse would be better in pass pro than mills. i  expect opposing defenses to come at us just like last year....stack the box and send the heat from the right side.

McD doesnt seem like the type of guy who would tolerate that either, it just adds to the whole weird Mills still starting at RT situation. 

I agree with you about how we will continue to be attacked. Hopefully some scheming/quick accurate passes are part of this offense and whoever plays QB can execute those plays regularly. Otherwise, it'll still be a putrid passing offense.

THAT said, we need a RT in the draft or FA next year BADDDDDD (mills looks to be finally gone to as he is a FA haha)

Edited by PaattMaann

17 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

9 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

McD doesnt seem like the type of guy who would tolerate that either, it just adds to the whole weird Mills still starting at RT situation. 

I agree with you about how we will continue to be attacked. Hopefully some scheming/quick accurate passes are part of this offense and whoever plays QB can execute those plays regularly. Otherwise, it'll still be a putrid passing offense.

THAT said, we need a RT in the draft or FA next year BADDDDDD (mills looks to be finally gone to as he is a FA haha)

Do you guys honestly believe that a player would be here if they thought he sabotaged a game? They re-watched every snap, from every angle, 100+ times. There was no conspiracy in the Chargers game. You had a bad QB and a bad RT matched up against an elite pass rush. The results were as to be expected.

18 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Do you guys honestly believe that a player would be here if they thought he sabotaged a game? They re-watched every snap, from every angle, 100+ times. There was no conspiracy in the Chargers game. You had a bad QB and a bad RT matched up against an elite pass rush. The results were as to be expected.

its easy to look like you are getting beat all game by someone way better than you, without looking like your sabotaging, because your likely gonna get dusted most plays anyway.

not a conspiracy, just some guys pissed at a coaches decision when they think its sabotaging their season. 

Either way we need a new RT next offseason.

Edited by PaattMaann
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, TigerJ said:

Free agency looks like more fertile ground than the draft when it comes to finding a good offensive tackle.  Now defensive tackle - it's draft all the way.

like, a backup/rotational DT? Seems we have two really good DTs on the roster already for next year (providing Phillips pans out, and I am betting that he does).

Just now, PaattMaann said:

like, a backup/rotational DT? Seems we have two really good DTs on the roster already for next year (providing Phillips pans out, and I am betting that he does).

Most of the evaluations of Harrison Phillips have suggested his skill set is better suited to one technique rather than three technique despite being a bit undersized for that spot.  Kyle Williams will be playing 3 tech this season, and that is his strong suit (penetrating and being disruptive rather than tying up blockers).  When Kyle Williams retires, there may be a hole at 3 tech while Buffalo is two deep at one tech.  Observers could be wrong about Harrison Phillips, but if they're right, Buffalo could still be in the market for a great DT next off-season.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Are you serious?

Mills was trying. He just blows, Peterman blows and Bosa is really good. That is all. 

I dont disagree that he blows, or peterman blows, or Bosa is really good. I just dont discount Bosa's comments, when he has never even come close to publicly trashing someone he just played in his entire football life. To say it seemed like someone wasn't even trying is pretty damning. I think it had something to do with him not trying (again, yes..he blows).

And again, for seemingly the fifth time in this thread, to bring it back to the point of the thread...we need a new RT next year in FA and it boggles my mind how Mills has maintained his job as starting RT for us through different regimes. 

1 minute ago, TigerJ said:

Most of the evaluations of Harrison Phillips have suggested his skill set is better suited to one technique rather than three technique despite being a bit undersized for that spot.  Kyle Williams will be playing 3 tech this season, and that is his strong suit (penetrating and being disruptive rather than tying up blockers).  When Kyle Williams retires, there may be a hole at 3 tech while Buffalo is two deep at one tech.  Observers could be wrong about Harrison Phillips, but if they're right, Buffalo could still be in the market for a great DT next off-season.

leading the team in tackles for loss at 17, and 7.5 sacks seems like he has the ability to penetrate/disrupt (3 tech) - no?

I think we'll go after another 1 year CB to replace Davis who replaced Gaines.  We'll get another 28 year old RB to replace Ivory.   We'll bring in some low level olinemen to compete, along with some names you know at WR but never really panned out yet.  

2 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I think we'll go after another 1 year CB to replace Davis who replaced Gaines.  We'll get another 28 year old RB to replace Ivory.   We'll bring in some low level olinemen to compete, along with some names you know at WR but never really panned out yet.  

yea I am going to go out on a limb and say you are wrong about all of the above (actually I could see another 1 year CB, maybe even extending Davis)

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Ali Marpet, C from Tampa

Shaq Mason, G from NE 

Stefon Diggs WR, MIN

Tevin Coleman RB, ATL

RT missing

Love the list

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

yea I am going to go out on a limb and say you are wrong about all of the above (actually I could see another 1 year CB, maybe even extending Davis)

RT missing

Love the list

We really haven't gone after any names, and the names we do have we have dumped.   

1 hour ago, PaattMaann said:

I agree some guys were pissed but then why when tyrod was put in did Mills still look like a turnstyle? Id rather have Sentreal or Cyrus than Mills. I think hes just god awful

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

We really haven't gone after any names, and the names we do have we have dumped.   

????

This FO, the one that just had their first offseason, and the one who will choose players next offseason, had the job of jettisoning huge contracts of guys that were overpaid to underplay in order to fix the cap situation so we could actually afford to build a team correctly. We didn't have a lot of money to spend and were still able to land a starting CB, perhaps really good starting DT, possible starting DE, replaced a G and C who left the team....all with not a lot of money. What did you expect??

Next offseason we will have some of the most cap space in the league to use to bring in talent, and you think....we wont?

3 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I actually think Levi Wallace may be able to take the v Davis job next year. I also think after shady has a great year that he restructures to stay next year and we draft one by Rd. 3.

8 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Ali Marpet, C from Tampa

Shaq Mason, G from NE 

Stefon Diggs WR, MIN

Tevin Coleman RB, ATL

Thing Diggs is going to command mega, mega money and have his choice of spots. Unless Allen really tears it up I don't think the Bills stand much of a chance of attracting him.  Mason I expect the re-sign in New England. Their offensive line spend in 2018 will be 31st out of 32 in the NFL.  I think they will pay Mason the money. Their center is still under a cheap rookie deal until 2020 and Isiah Wynn (who may end up at LT when all is said and done) is a rookie. There is room for Mason to get paid.  

Marpet and Coleman are both pretty realistic, live options.  

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

????

This FO, the one that just had their first offseason, and the one who will choose players next offseason, had the job of jettisoning huge contracts of guys that were overpaid to underplay in order to fix the cap situation so we could actually afford to build a team correctly. We didn't have a lot of money to spend and were still able to land a starting CB, perhaps really good starting DT, possible starting DE, replaced a G and C who left the team....all with not a lot of money. What did you expect??

Next offseason we will have some of the most cap space in the league to use to bring in talent, and you think....we wont?

I think they will stick to the plan of drafting and developing talent and going after moderately priced free agents and bringing in guys to compete.   I do think next year we extend Benjamin and probably someone else maybe Shady.    But I don't see us spending the way Whaley spent. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

????

I think it will not be the absolute top, flashy names on the market.  I do expect a big ticket item or two though in that Micah Hyde, Star Loutelei mould of a guy who has been decent somewhere else but they are hoping can step up a level in Buffalo. Personally I'd be surprised if chased the Diggs and Bell type names.  

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it will not be the absolute top, flashy names on the market.  I do expect a big ticket item or two though in that Micah Hyde, Star Loutelei mould of a guy who has been decent somewhere else but they are hoping can step up a level in Buffalo. Personally I'd be surprised if chased the Diggs and Bell type names.  

Oh I totally agree. The other poster basically mocked the Bills past offseason by saying "bring in a 1 year CB to replace the previous two 1 year CBs, low level linemen and no name WRs to compete", that is what I was referring to. Of course this next offseason will look different than this past one, because we have needs AND money next year. 

I think our FO will "chase" their guys, regardless of if they are top/flashy or not. I could see us going after Diggs IF he has another great year and they feel he fits what they want to do as an offense. I KNOW they wont chase someone just to get a flashy name. But if that flashy name fits what they are doing, then I can easily see them shelling out bucks for that guy. (I am not advocating for Diggs, just using his position of need combined with likely best player at his position on the market as an example).

3 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

its easy to look like you are getting beat all game by someone way better than you, without looking like your sabotaging, because your likely gonna get dusted most plays anyway.

not a conspiracy, just some guys pissed at a coaches decision when they think its sabotaging their season. 

Either way we need a new RT next offseason.

Or it’s easy to get beat by a guy consistently because he’s way better than you...Ockham’s Razor

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Thing Diggs is going to command mega, mega money and have his choice of spots. Unless Allen really tears it up I don't think the Bills stand much of a chance of attracting him.  Mason I expect the re-sign in New England. Their offensive line spend in 2018 will be 31st out of 32 in the NFL.  I think they will pay Mason the money. Their center is still under a cheap rookie deal until 2020 and Isiah Wynn (who may end up at LT when all is said and done) is a rookie. There is room for Mason to get paid.  

Marpet and Coleman are both pretty realistic, live options.  

Coleman is the other guy that I would like to see us try to trade for now. Atlanta just paid Freeman so Coleman is likely gone. Offer them one of your 4ths. He’s insurance if Shady can’t play. He could be (could) a number 1 next year if Shady is done.