How Sean McDermott won the Buffalo Bills' locker room back after starting Nathan Peterman

HOUSE

This was one of the most impressive things about McDermott’s rookie season IMO. He trusted his OC and let him play his guy. It failed miserably and McDermott took the blame publicly. He apologized to the team and won them back. He held Dennison accountable by firing him. A lot of good came out of a massive mistake. It was the ultimate “learning experience.”

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Starting Peterman was not a mistake. The mistake comes in not having a more competent backup at that given time.

Peterman was selected in the fifth round for a reason, now yes, we have seen later round guys flourish sooner than expected in some instances. However, we also understand that later round guys can tend to be more project types than anything.

Taylor needed to be benched, so again the mistake was not in his benching, the mistake was not having a better backup.

• Like (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Funny, not one mention of Rick Dennison in the article, who shoulders the vast majority of blame for the struggling offense as well as starting Peterman in the Chargers game.

So happy Dennison is gone. One of the worst coordinators I’ve seen on the Bills in past 2 decades. And that’s saying a lot..

1 hour ago, THE SLAMMER said:

I disagree it was a mistake. Tyrod Tylor was playing his worse football ever at the time. A week off may have been what he needed.

Okay, in hindsight it was a mistake.

At least they knew for sure like the rest of us that tyrod wasnt the long term answer. 

McD said  that "unfortunately  the decision didn't work out  FOR VARIOUS REASONS ."  do some of the posters have a blind spot where Peterman is concerned.??  McD is a class guy who is not going to throw any team member under the bus. Mills , I believe appreciates that fact. among others.

Dennison was the epitome of trying to put round pegs into square holes. The zone blocking scheme with the players he had on the offensive line, trying to force Tyrod into a quick passing offense when his best attributes were his feet and his long ball, the Mike Tolbert experiment, etc.

Rather than adapting to what he had, he forced players into positions they weren't comfortable in. Tyrod was not a good fit for his (Shanahan's) offense and rather than tweaking and adjusting to Tyrod's skills, he just complained about Tyrod. You could tell from his interviews that he did not like having Tyrod as his QB. The switching to Peterman was no doubt at his insistence and he also had to be the one making a case that Nathan was ready.

I agree with others that from McDermott's perspective, the benching of Tyrod was not a mistake. After a 56 yard performance and 3 brutal losses, he was looking to give the team a spark. And if Dennison had been petitioning to bench Tyrod, it had to be pretty hard to say, no I don't think that's the right decision after a 56 yard performance. You have to go with your OC at that point, that is why you hired him. 

And we get on Tyrod all the time for not throwing the ball when guys were open, etc. And at least 50% of the blame definitely goes to Tyrod, but when the plays being called don't suit your skillset, it is hard to be successful. Isn't that what the good coaches always say...my job is to put guys in a position to succeed. When your OC doesn't trust his QB, you are not going to put that player in a position to succeed. I'm not saying Tyrod would have lit it up in another offense, but I do think his production would have been higher. But this is not a Tyrod-apology post, he was as much to blame for the poor offense. Just stating that Dennison's inflexibility was his own and the offenses downfall and that I think McDermott did make the right decisions, given the circumstances, along the way; from benching Tyrod to firing Dennison.

McDermott's main mistake was hiring Dennison in the first place when his scheme didn't fit the players he had. They were already changing the defensive scheme and the team was coming off of being the top rushing team two years running. Keeping some continuity on offense probably would have gone a long way. I do like that coach took the blame though----even now that Dennison is gone...that engenders a lot of trust from your players and staff. And ultimately, it was McDermott's decision. He still could have said no or fired Dennison then, etc. When you are the head coach, you either came to the decision yourself, or you agreed and allowed it to happen. So he does have to own the decision and a good leader doesn't try to cover his ass by throwing someone else under the bus after the fact. Even if it was that person's idea. Obviously in hindsight it didn't go well, but I still think that at the time, given all of the circumstances, it wasn't really a bad decision. It may or may not have cost us one game (we might have lost to the Chargers even if Tyrod started), but it may also have had some further reaching (harder to see) benefits.

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On July 19, 2018 at 11:24 AM, Sweats said:

I almost forgot the 3 game slide where we were out scored nearly 110-40.......and yet even with that miserable showing, we still made the post season.

Yeah, I’m as shocked as anyone over that.

We did well last year when we enjoyed a crazy turnover advantage.  Then we regressed to the mean and didn't do as well after.  In the end, we got into the playoffs with only 9 wins and needed help to do so which we got.

We are a leading regression candidate this year and will almost certainly be a few wins worse, all other factors being equal.  But they aren't going to be equal b/c Tyrod isn't on the team anymore.

Hence the 4/5/6 win predictions most are making.

On 7/19/2018 at 11:24 AM, Sweats said:

I almost forgot the 3 game slide where we were out scored nearly 110-40.......and yet even with that miserable showing, we still made the post season.

Yeah, I’m as shocked as anyone over that.

That gives me some hope that the post season is not impossible this season. We could not stop the run, particularly in those 3 games. I feel that the off season changes should help that. 

On 7/19/2018 at 10:51 AM, THE SLAMMER said:

I disagree it was a mistake. Tyrod Tylor was playing his worse football ever at the time. A week off may have been what he needed.

Okay, in hindsight it was a mistake.

Stop making sense.

Mcd kept the locker room because he demonstrated that he would do whatever it took to spark the team hoping to win. Including later, taking total responsibility for something he did that failed! 

Its nice to finally have a good coach!!