My dog died tonight

Bro.

I'm sorry.

Truly.

My wife and I don't have kids. We have cats. A number of them. Any given night we have between 2 and 5 cats sleeping with us in our bed.

I know we have a lot of loss to deal with in the next decade or so. Really not looking forward to it. 

I'm sorry man. Losing pets sucks.

4 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Never easy putting losing a pet. I put my cat down after a 10 month battle with cancer. It's the worst part about having pets. He was 13, which is average for a cat so I was ok with that. Parents have two cats that are 25 and 23 years old respectively. Mom and son.

25 and 23?!?!

Geez... I hope at least a couple of our cats (my boy and my wife's little queen) last close to that long!

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It was just so weird that it happened so fast.  She was happy, a lot of energy.  I let her out in the front yard, went back inside to get her ball to play with her.  My son runs in the house and said "somethings wrong with Dakota".  I go outside, she collapsed and moaned.  My wife picked her up to rush her to the pet hospital and about 2 miles down the road, no more breathing.  I was feeling for a pulse and nothing...we turned around.

I just got done burying her in the back.  She was 10, I thought we would get a few more years out of her.

Was she poisoned?

When I was back visiting my family for Christmas in 2005, our 11 year old dog Ginnie threw up once in the evening before I was going out to meet up with friends and then wanted to go outside. Our dogs always went out our back door to the woods to go to the bathroom and knew to ask. So I let her out and shouted to my parents I let her out.

The next morning I woke up and my Dad told me he found her dead at the foot of our stairs that lead down to our yard where she went to the bathroom.

We think it was the food she ate. There was a big recall on Star pet dry food at the time.

It's 14 years later and I still think about that and feel guilty for being the one to let her out to go to the bathroom often.

That sucks man.  It's tough to go through.  The only reason I always hesitate getting a dog is knowing that you'll have to deal with its death at some point.  Just knowing you gave him a good home and life will help you through the grieving process.

Dogs live short, awesome lives.  When they die, it is incredibly painful but it reminds us to live.

One thing to consider during this time:  You are grieving but in one of your local shelters there is a great dog facing a clock that’s ticking.  There is nothing that helps your heart heal faster than honoring your dog’s legacy by saving another.

Sorry for your loss.

• Like (+1) 8

Very sorry about your dog. It’s never easy. 

It’s been a year since our dog died. We still miss her. Our lives are too busy now and the people who used to dog sit for us have gotten too old. I don’t know if we’ll ever get another dog, and that’s a sad thought. 

Edited by Gray Beard

10 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This just doesn’t get any easier.  Tough night...

So sorry.  My household just went through that back in April with the white cat (Tonk) who we had for 17 years.  She always had a very sunny disposition.  Actually, we lost a few pets in the last couple years.  Unfortunately, it is just like with people some live until getting old and others get sick or disease and then there is not much you can do for them.  99 percent of the cats and dogs we had were very warm and friendly pets.  I had a male black lab/ beagle mix dog and he ALWAYS wanted to go for a ride with me or the wife.

10 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I am so sorry man. I'd hug you if i could.  We put ours down last month after 14+years.   I cried like a baby.   My wife still tears up, hell my son...we can't even bring up Bear around him but he chokes up. He was 2 when we got him, they were best friends.     

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

25 and 23?!?!

Geez... I hope at least a couple of our cats (my boy and my wife's little queen) last close to that long!

Yeah the older one, the mom, has survived getting hit by a car (lost half her tail) and more recently (last sept/oct) a stroke. She is still in decent health for her age. Her son is doing well too, little arthritis on the back end, but otherwise in good health too. 

Their ages are rare though. My family lost one cat when he was 9-10, and my buddy Oliver whom I lost on June 6th was 13. So it's weird having 2 cats that are outliving cats half their age.

11 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It was just so weird that it happened so fast.  She was happy, a lot of energy.  I let her out in the front yard, went back inside to get her ball to play with her.  My son runs in the house and said "somethings wrong with Dakota".  I go outside, she collapsed and moaned.  My wife picked her up to rush her to the pet hospital and about 2 miles down the road, no more breathing.  I was feeling for a pulse and nothing...we turned around.

I just got done burying her in the back.  She was 10, I thought we would get a few more years out of her.

That's terrible. 

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

So sorry.  My household just went through that back in April with the white cat (Tonk) who we had for 17 years.  She always had a very sunny disposition.  Actually, we lost a few pets in the last couple years.  Unfortunately, it is just like with people some live until getting old and others get sick or disease and then there is not much you can do for them.  99 percent of the cats and dogs we had were very warm and friendly pets.  I had a male black lab/ beagle mix dog and he ALWAYS wanted to go for a ride with me or the wife.

I had a cat for 18 years and when he passed I went right out and got a new one. There are lots of pets that needs homes and makes me feel like at least something good happened that this one got a home. And he is such a good cat, too. 

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

That's terrible. 

I had a cat for 18 years and when he passed I went right out and got a new one. There are lots of pets that needs homes and makes me feel like at least something good happened that this one got a home. And he is such a good cat, too. 

We have one cat at the moment and live in an area where cats get dropped off so probably soon we will have another.  A couple years ago we had a total of 5 which was a bit much for the size of the house and that most cats tend to be territorial.

12 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

We have one cat at the moment and live in an area where cats get dropped off so probably soon we will have another.  A couple years ago we had a total of 5 which was a bit much for the size of the house and that most cats tend to be territorial.

Five is a lot! 

11 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Sorry for your loss!  We had to put our 16 year old dachshund to sleep last week.  She was gradually getting worse day by day and could see she was in pain, so we had to make a tough choice.  But even though it was the right thing to do, losing a pet is never easy.  This my second dog I had to put down and it's so difficult.  I know what your going through and you'll begin to cherish the memories and still shed a tear out of the blue thinking about him/her as well...

Edited by ricojes