[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

12 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I get the condensed game replays from my NHL Center Ice package but thanks for linking them from YouTube like that. It's a great way to relive/rewatch a game like that. 

26 takes guff... But He's My go to Source for this.  Even next game time info.

Ez-Pz...

We just don't want to see any clunkers!!!?

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yeah it was interesting to me that when asked about the biggest change in this year's team (IIRC the exact question), Housley's answer was "conditioning." 

Yeah he actually said that during last season, too. 

He said they had to spend a lot of time teaching guys the new systems, and it didn’t leave as much time as he wanted to get their conditioning right.

Plus, he came from a veteran team. One with a bunch of guys who knew what type of contitiniong it took to win consistently in the NHL and make the playoffs. I think he was a bit surprised by the Sabres lack of conditioning. 

Housley said that a lot tougher training camp was coming and he didn’t lie.

I think almost every single Sabres player said that this was the toughest training camp they’ve ever been through. 

We are finally starting to see this team mature and learn what it takes to win in the NHL on a nightly basis. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

FINAL: Sabres 5 - Penguins 4 (OT)

cut.jpg

Jack Eichel completes a 4-goal comeback against Pittsburgh for Buffalo's 6th win in a row.

Damn, those kids are having fun out there. Fantastic to see.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Yeah, 11th spot is ideal.

We could end up with three first round picks in the next draft. We could make a deal for a couple or all of them to move to near the top of the draft to get a high end prospect or just take three prospects. It will be interesting to see how the GM uses its assets. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Sabres (13-6-2) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 22 vs. PHI at 7:30 PM ET on 11/21 (NBCSN)

buffalo-sabres.png

The trade for Jeff Skinner (14 goals) looks like a stickup. Jack Eichel is a beast. Jason Pominville has rediscovered his game at the 1,000 mark. Rasmus Dahlin should be on the Calder ballot. And Carter Hutton is proving (so far) that, yes, he can be a No. 1 goaltender. The Sabres are relevant again, and it feels good. Grade: A+

Super 16: Sabres Crack Top 10

cut.jpg

by Dan Rosen @drosennhl / NHL.com Senior Writer

8. Buffalo Sabres (13-6-2)

Total points: 112

Last week: No. 12

Hit: The Sabres are on a six-game winning streak for the first time in nearly nine years (Dec. 27, 2009-Jan. 8, 2010). Each win has been by one goal, with four in overtime or a shootout. They are 7-0-2 in one-goal games this season.

Miss: Marco Scandella sustained a lower-body injury blocking a shot in a 5-4 overtime win against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Monday. The defenseman's status for the game against the Philadelphia Flyers on Wednesday is unclear.

Let's not get carried away. The Sabres are definitely moving up the ranks but they are not better than Washington or Columbus. In almost every game that we have won in the six game streak we were outplayed yet escaped with a victory. That's a tribute to the grittiness of the team and good fortune. That good fortune usually balances out in the season. 

I'm not diminishing our accomplishments but trying to put it into perspective. There is still a lot to do to be a really good team. The core is forming and there has to be some additions to support and enhance the core.

In my view the quality goaltending has been the biggest reason why our fortunes have changed. I'm not discounting the additions of players like Skinner but the goaltending has been very consistent throughout the season. It has kept us in games where before the erratic goaltending allowed the game to slip away. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Let's not get carried away. The Sabres are definitely moving up the ranks but they are not better than Washington or Columbus. In almost every game that we have won in the six game streak we were outplayed yet escaped with a victory. That's a tribute to the grittiness of the team and good fortune. That good fortune usually balances out in the season. 

I'm not diminishing our accomplishments but trying to put it into perspective. There is still a lot to do to be a really good team. The core is forming and there has to be some additions to support and enhance the core.

In my view the quality goaltending has been the biggest reason why our fortunes have changed. I'm not discounting the additions of players like Skinner but the goaltending has been very consistent throughout the season. It has kept us in games where before the erratic goaltending allowed the game to slip away. 

"The core is forming" are the most important four words in your post.  The winning streak is awesome, your other points are valid, but these wins counted for two points each.  

The Sabres will be better in May than they are now and having banked these points while learning is awesome.  I can see bumps coming in 18-19 but it is becoming difficult to see anything but success for this core long term.

• Like (+1) 1

DsiBlCJXgAAraA6.jpg

Game Preview: 11/21/18 vs. Philadelphia

GAME-DAY RESOURCES

Game Notes NHL Stats Press Clips

LAST GAME
Monday, November 19
Buffalo 5 at Pittsburgh 4 (OT)
Goals: Thompson, Bogosian, Nelson, Mittelstadt, Eichel
Goalie: Hutton (36 saves/40 shots)
PP: 0/3; PK: 3/3; Shots: Buffalo 40 – Pittsburgh 40

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 71)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed

Matt Hunwick (neck, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 21 games
Scott Wilson (ankle, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 21 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
N/A

UPCOMING GAMES

Friday, Nov. 23: Montreal at Buffalo, 4 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 24: Buffalo at Detroit, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Nov. 27: San Jose at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Thursday, Nov. 29: Buffalo at Tampa Bay, 7:30 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 30: Buffalo at Florida, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
FLYERS AT SABRES
  • This is the first of three meetings between the Sabres and Flyers this season.
  • Last meeting: Philadelphia defeated Buffalo 4-1 in Philadelphia on Jan. 7
  • Next meeting: Saturday, Dec. 8 in Buffalo
  • The Sabres are 5-4-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Flyers; 5-4-1 at home
  • This is the 177th game all-time between Buffalo and Philadelphia; Buffalo has a 68-84-24 series record.
  • The Sabres are 43-33-10 at home against the Flyers all-time.

25 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Fortunately games are won on the scoreboard and not with judges scores ala figure skating. I doubt the Penguins, Jets or Wild give a crap they "mostly outplayed" the Sabres.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Fortunately games are won on the scoreboard and not with judges scores ala figure skating. I doubt the Penguins, Jets or Wild give a crap they "mostly outplayed" the Sabres.

It's not so much about how you start, but how you finish. Sabres have been dominating the 3rd period

30 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Ah, the customary "pump the breaks" post. The Sabres are winning games, that's exciting.  They are riding a hot streak and it's fun to watch them again.  I haven't seen any declarations of Stanley Cup Champion posts yet, I don't think anyone believes they are an elite team.  But they are young, having fun, and winning the close games for the first time in a very very long time and it really make the future that much more exciting.  The only perspective I care about is that the Sabres are once again must watch TV, and I haven't felt that way in years.

Edited by ricojes

1 minute ago, Doc said:

You are what your record is.

You are what your record is when the season is concluded. It's a long season with a lot of ups and downs. We are in an up cycle and I am ecstatic about it. But I don't believe that we are better than Columbus and Washington. It's not a criticism of the team but it's where I see this team is from a talent standpoint compared to the elite teams. 

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Your response is predictable. I'm not commenting on a particular game so much as comparing where I believe this team actually ranks compared to what was listed. Although I am a fan of the Sabres I don't believe that they are better at this stage of their turnaround than Columbus or Washington. That's my opinion. If you think otherwise then so be it. 

17 minutes ago, ricojes said:

Ah, the customary "pump the breaks" post. The Sabres are winning games, that's exciting.  They are riding a hot streak and it's fun to watch them again.  I haven't seen any declarations of Stanley Cup Champion posts yet, I don't think anyone believes they are an elite team.  But they are young, having fun, and winning the close games for the first time in a very very long time and it really make the future that much more exciting.  The only perspective I care about is that the Sabres are once again must watch TV, and I haven't felt that way in years.

You missed the point of my original post. I simply made the point that I believed that they were ranked higher than they should be. I consider Columbus and Washington better teams. I'm not denigrating the Sabres or dismissing their current success. It's exciting and fun to watch. But I don't believe that they are better than Washington and Columbus. If you do then that's fine. 

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I both agree and disagree with your premise.  I think a team "learns" how to win and just because the wins are somewhat fortunate it doesn't mean the team isn't beginning to "expect" to win and transforming into a "better" team.  And it's not as if they've just been getting good bounces either -- they have actually been dominating teams late in games.

If we were seeing wins in which the Sabres were outshot 38-20 or something like that (think Hasek days) I'd be more inclined to tap the brakes on my optimism and chalk it all up to goaltending and luck.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, eball said:

I both agree and disagree with your premise.  I think a team "learns" how to win and just because the wins are somewhat fortunate it doesn't mean the team isn't beginning to "expect" to win and transforming into a "better" team.  And it's not as if they've just been getting good bounces either -- they have actually been dominating teams late in games.

If we were seeing wins in which the Sabres were outshot 38-20 or something like that (think Hasek days) I'd be more inclined to tap the brakes on my optimism and chalk it all up to goaltending and luck.

Simple question: Do you believe that the Sabres are better than Columbus and Washington? I don't. At this point I believe that their rosters are fuller and better. 

I don't know how you can come away from my original post and say that I said or meant to say that the Sabres aren't transforming into a better team or have higher expectations. It's quite the opposite. With PTR every opinion that doesn't fall into the category of the fawning fan of the hometown team is act of disloyalty. You are much more discerning than that irredeemable lovable zealot. 

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Simple question: Do you believe that the Sabres are better than Columbus and Washington? I don't. At this point I believe that their rosters are fuller and better. 

I don't know how you can come away from my original post and say that I said or meant to say that the Sabres aren't transforming into a better team or have higher expectations. It's quite the opposite. With PTR every opinion that doesn't fall into the category of the fawning fan of the hometown team is act of disloyalty. You are much more discerning than that irredeemable lovable zealot. 

I don't evaluate rosters around the NHL in the same way I look at NFL rosters.  I really only watch Sabres games, while I watch many NFL games besides the Bills.  So all I can go by is what I see, articles I read, and the standings.  Right now, statistically, the Sabres are better than Columbus and Washington through one quarter of the season.

57 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You missed the point of my original post. I simply made the point that I believed that they were ranked higher than they should be. I consider Columbus and Washington better teams. I'm not denigrating the Sabres or dismissing their current success. It's exciting and fun to watch. But I don't believe that they are better than Washington and Columbus. If you do then that's fine. 

Trust me, I get the point.  I see more of the "pump the breaks" stuff regarding the Bills, strange as that may sound, but I get the point.  In a 7 game series against Washington or Columbus, they would most likely come up short.  But that's why ranking systems aren't anything to pay attention to,  they go by stats and record and not experience and grit.     

11 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

argh..the dreaded let down game against an AHL goalie.... I know  i am always nervous nellie  but I would have preferred Ni_Vert in there tonight

He's hurt and the Sabres have been doing well this season against backup tenders.  Feast on boys pre-thanksgiving style.  No BBFS allowed as we go for 7 straight! :beer:

5 Things: PHI vs. BUF

Philadelphia Flyers (9-9-2, 20pts) at Buffalo Sabres (13-6-2, 28pts) at KeyBank Center | Buffalo, NY

QUICK STATS
Season Series (2017-18): 2-1-0
All-Time Record: 176gp (88-61-20-7)
Leading Scorers:
PHI: 24-pts, Giroux (7g-17a)
BUF: 24-pts, Eichel (5g-19a)

1. GOING AWAY AGAIN
2. BUFFALO HOT
3. A TALE OF TWO STATS
4. SWEDE ROOKIES
5. PLAYERS TO WATCH: