[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

well, we shall see. They played a good game last night..then again the Sabres played a good game opening night last year too!!!!

I think they will be tougher to play than many people expected..me included. Again, one game.

BTW, they going all "culture" too..sat Plekanec and Alzner last night

Toronto was able to withstand the Habs' energy and then countered when they had limited chances because they have superior skill.  I'm hoping the Sabres are the Habs (in terms of energy) but now have the talent to go with it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, shrader said:

I wonder if Shanahan ever took a little less money for the good of a team.  It's always easy to say it when it's someone else's money and not your own.  Based on the way that Red Wing team used to write checks back in those pre-cap days, I'm guessing there weren't many pay cuts to be had.

Shanahan probably has an old school attitude toward contracts but what he is saying is relevant in the business of hockey. The reality is that when you have a number of talented young players whose contracts are coming up near each other the cap squeeze comes into play. You just can't avoid it. The same financial reality comes into play in a capped sport such as football. The issue becomes how do you distribute a set amount of money. The problem that Toronto's Nylander is facing is that if he got what he deserved to get it would handcuff a team dealing with contracts that need to be addressed in the near future. 

Toronto is loaded with talented young players and the market for players goes up each year. In this situation what very often happens is that a talented player who can't get paid what he believes his worth iwill probably be traded for assets whose contracts won't be coming up in the near future. 

All organizations have to contend with the puzzle of the cap system. The smart organizations realize where they are on the spectrum of being serious teams compared to upcoming teams. This complex system requires sophisticated GMs who know how to negotiate in this complicated and multi-faceted sport/business. Another way of saying this is you don't hire a checker player to play in a chess match. 

5 hours ago, shrader said:

I wonder if Shanahan ever took a little less money for the good of a team.  It's always easy to say it when it's someone else's money and not your own.  Based on the way that Red Wing team used to write checks back in those pre-cap days, I'm guessing there weren't many pay cuts to be had.

He only played three seasons with a salary cap and he spent his most lucrative years with the Red Wings, who were basically the Yankees of the NHL at that time.  Let's just say I don't think he ever left money on the table.

I would consider all my options but if I was in a good organization with a lot of talent, it wouldn't be hard to convince me to leave money on the table to work/live in a better situation.  Losing sucks.

6 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

He only played three seasons with a salary cap and he spent his most lucrative years with the Red Wings, who were basically the Yankees of the NHL at that time.  Let's just say I don't think he ever left money on the table.

I would consider all my options but if I was in a good organization with a lot of talent, it wouldn't be hard to convince me to leave money on the table to work/live in a better situation.  Losing sucks.

But does losing suck more than getting paid less money than you think you're worth?  There really is no right answer to that question.  It's different for everyone and it changes over the course of your career.

Just now, shrader said:

But does losing suck more than getting paid less money than you think you're worth?  There really is no right answer to that question.  It's different for everyone and it changes over the course of your career.

I can tell you that I've been much happier in jobs that paid less but had better climates (management who actually cared about people, coworkers who leaned forward, etc.).  These guys make STUPID amounts of money, far beyond anything I've ever made/will made.  I would leave a decent amount on the table to play on a better team, for a better organization, in a better town.

2 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I can tell you that I've been much happier in jobs that paid less but had better climates (management who actually cared about people, coworkers who leaned forward, etc.).  These guys make STUPID amounts of money, far beyond anything I've ever made/will made.  I would leave a decent amount on the table to play on a better team, for a better organization, in a better town.

And yet, there you are among the Eskimos and salmon

6 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

It’s ironic that Shanny’s last year with the Red Wings was the first salary cap year. The Yankees comparison is a good one as Detroit took good care of their own. Nobody left money on the table. 

I agree that having a chance to play for a great team with the best coach in the game would be mighty attractive. But how attractive? Millions of dollars a year attractive?  It will be interesting to watch it unfold. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Do you think you would have had those same thoughts before you got all that experience?  I really can't fault a kid for looking for all the money so early in his career.

Just now, K-9 said:

It’s ironic that Shanny’s last year with the Red Wings was the first salary cap year. The Yankees comparison is a good one as Detroit took good care of their own. Nobody left money on the table. 

I agree that having a chance to play for a great team with the best coach in the game would be mighty attractive. But how attractive? Millions of dollars a year attractive?  It will be interesting to watch it unfold. 

And let's not forget how Shanahan moved from New Jersey to St. Louis via restricted free agency.  He wasn't leaving a winning situation, but he definitey chased the dollar signs.

1 minute ago, shrader said:

Do you think you would have had those same thoughts before you got all that experience?  I really can't fault a kid for looking for all the money so early in his career.

That's a fair question.  One of the reasons I left the military was money but it wasn't even close to the most important reason.  I've always been the guy who "knew" what he wanted at the moment the choice was supposed to be made.  A decent amount of that was growing up with very little money and yet having a pretty happy childhood.

I've also always been a pretty big "details" guy who reads a lot.  So, for example, I wouldn't have wanted to play for the Islanders even if they offered me 51% of the franchise.  Pragmatism and all that.

• Like (+1) 1

Dahlin to Make NHL Debut as Sabres Open Season vs. Boston

Doro4HsW4AI9p2y.jpg

Carter Hutton will start in net for Buffalo. Zach Bogosian (lower body), Remi Elie and Matt Tennyson are expected to be scratched. 

Here's the projected lineup in its entirety:

53 Jeff Skinner - 9 Jack Eichel - 23 Sam Reinhart
43 Conor Sheary - 10 Patrik Berglund - 72 Tage Thompson
17 Vladimir Sobotka - 37 Casey Mittelstadt - 21 Kyle Okposo

19 Jake McCabe - 26 Rasmus Dahlin

40 Carter Hutton

So excited for the season to start. I really hope this is the year Buffalo takes a legit step forward. They have the deepest lineup that they’ve had in many years. Guys seem to have the right attitude. I just hope they put it all together on th ice. 

They are playing a pissed off bruins team tonight that just got badly embarrassed last night. I hope buffalo is just as fired up as the bruins will likely be. The Sabres better come ready to play... 

We have a few young guys playing their first games here, so I expect some nerves to start the game. I just hope they start out fast and with energy. They need to show up from puck drop. They started games out slow way too often last season. 

Lets go Sabres! 

19 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

How do you put the A on a guy who you “ hope” plays 60% of the games... I feel bad for him, but damn that boy can’t stay on the ice. 

“As” don’t matter much.  I fully expect a couple of other guys to wear them this season.