[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I don't understand your comment that Housley was out-coached by the other coach? I'm not saying that Housley out-smarted the other coach because I don't think that is an accurate takeaway from this game. 

This was not a very complicated game. Two teams battled with both goalies being the instrumental players for their respective team. 

The Sabres were the worst team in the league last year. In my opinion they will move up the ranks to the middle of the pack and be a fringe playoff team. That is a quantum leap forward. Once the new players get more comfortable with their line-mates and it is better determined who plays with who there will be less scrambling and more coherent play. 

One of my takeaways from this game that gets me excited is that Dahlin was not a standout but he played a very mature game. Once he gets comfortable his dynamism will be on display. 

Are you aware that this is only the second game? I agree with you that he played with the puck too much but it was done in his attempt to create something when not much was there to work with. Because he handled the puck along the boards he actually did create a play that resulted in a pass to Reinhart who made a beautiful cross pass to Sheary for a goal. So without question Eichel's play was decisive in the win. 

There has been a lot of changes to the roster. It's early in the season and players are trying to figure out each other and develop some chemistry. It's not instantly created. It takes a little time. Let's be reasonable here. 

Middlestadt made that play along the boards.

8 minutes ago, snafu said:

Middlestadt made that play along the boards.

You are mixing up the scoring plays. Mittlestadt made the play along the boards that went to Risto and then Sheary. The play I'm referring to went from Jack to Reinhart to a cross pass to Sheary. 

https://www.nhl.com/video/shearys-second-ppg-of-the-game/t-299944508/c-61649303

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

If a "bad" game from Jack is a goal and a primary assist with a Sabres win, then sign me up for a few more stinkers.

The fandom has gotten so beaten down that for some a victory from exceptional goaltending is tainted. It makes no freaking sense!  When we lose because of inconsistent goaltending there are lamentations; when we win because of consistent goaltending the lamentations continue. 

Last year, the wins were rare. We were both the worst team and most boring team in the league. I'll be damned if I am going to complain about a win in the second game of the season. What makes this twisted thinking more perplexing is that in this victory, compared to the dud first game, the Sabres played hard and with heart from the first puck drop to when the horn sounded. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JohnC said:

I don't understand your comment that Housley was out-coached by the other coach? I'm not saying that Housley out-smarted the other coach because I don't think that is an accurate takeaway from this game. 

This was not a very complicated game. Two teams battled with both goalies being the instrumental players for their respective team. 

The Sabres were the worst team in the league last year. In my opinion they will move up the ranks to the middle of the pack and be a fringe playoff team. That is a quantum leap forward. Once the new players get more comfortable with their line-mates and it is better determined who plays with who there will be less scrambling and more coherent play. 

One of my takeaways from this game that gets me excited is that Dahlin was not a standout but he played a very mature game. Once he gets comfortable his dynamism will be on display. 

Are you aware that this is only the second game? I agree with you that he played with the puck too much but it was done in his attempt to create something when not much was there to work with. Because he handled the puck along the boards he actually did create a play that resulted in a pass to Reinhart who made a beautiful cross pass to Sheary for a goal. So without question Eichel's play was decisive in the win. 

There has been a lot of changes to the roster. It's early in the season and players are trying to figure out each other and develop some chemistry. It's not instantly created. It takes a little time. Let's be reasonable here. 

Does anyone know if Housley is an "analytics guy?"  Because damn, there is so much information out there now about what seems to work and what doesn't, and what strategies should be employed.

36 minutes ago, eball said:

Does anyone know if Housley is an "analytics guy?"  Because damn, there is so much information out there now about what seems to work and what doesn't, and what strategies should be employed.

i'm not sure how much he uses analytics to make decisions. Now a days all teams use the computer and stats to come up with numbers. But analytics is not especially useful when your team lacks talent compared to the opposition. The eye test is easy when you are comparing your roster with other rosters. When your five on five is one of the lowest in the league then you don't have to delve into the numbers as to why. When your third and fourth lines hardly contribute any goals then you don't have to delve into the reasons why. When you are not good enough your eyes will tell you so. 

From what I gather Housley's system is not overly complicated. He wants a north/south game with the defensemen quickly moving the puck out of their zone. He wants a roster that has good overall speed. Last year's roster was in general slow and sluggish. There were no players on Jack's line that could keep up with him. Sheary and Skinner bring speed and an ability to finish. Overall, because of Sheary and Skinner we have goal scorers that can convert. And what Botterill did this offseason is upgrade the third and fourth line so that at least they can contribute a little bit, which is much more than before. Or another way of looking at it is broaden the talent level. 

15 hours ago, snafu said:

Several times last night Eichel decided to put his head down and dick around with the puck, turning his back to the play, giving a Ranger an easy opportunity to dispossess him and take the play in the other direction.  Eichel's overall game was completely ineffective.  He looked like the third option on his line, behind Sheary and Rineheart. He couldn't win defensive zone faceoffs.  If Eichel is going to be considered one of the best in the league, he needs to play better than that.  

Nothing my Dad hated more than someone "dicking around"!

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

i'm not sure how much he uses analytics to make decisions. Now a days all teams use the computer and stats to come up with numbers. But analytics is not especially useful when your team lacks talent compared to the opposition. The eye test is easy when you are comparing your roster with other rosters. When your five on five is one of the lowest in the league then you don't have to delve into the numbers as to why. When your third and fourth lines hardly contribute any goals then you don't have to delve into the reasons why. When you are not good enough your eyes will tell you so. 

From what I gather Housley's system is not overly complicated. He wants a north/south game with the defensemen quickly moving the puck out of their zone. He wants a roster that has good overall speed. Last year's roster was in general slow and sluggish. There were no players on Jack's line that could keep up with him. Sheary and Skinner bring speed and an ability to finish. Overall, because of Sheary and Skinner we have goal scorers that can convert. And what Botterill did this offseason is upgrade the third and fourth line so that at least they can contribute a little bit, which is much more than before. Or another way of looking at it is broaden the talent level. 

Yeah, I guess what I'm talking about more is specifically putting lines together based upon what certain players do well.  There's a boatload of data regarding which players make their linemates better, etc.  I've been reading a lot of the hockey articles on The Athletic and it's amazing how much is available.

Right when I want to see if they can build on some positives... they schedule a day time game that I can't watch.  :death:

At the moment, I'm a little concerned that this team will still struggle to produce offense.  So far it's two powerplay goals and an ENG.  That's not encouraging so far, but maybe once the likes of Skinner and Dahlin can start to click, things can turn around.  Skinner has definitely showed some flashes, minus the finish so far.  I'll never be able to get used to his horrible dives though.  Yeah, it got the team a power play, but I absolutely hate that crap.

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

Right when I want to see if they can build on some positives... they schedule a day time game that I can't watch.  :death:

At the moment, I'm a little concerned that this team will still struggle to produce offense.  So far it's two powerplay goals and an ENG.  That's not encouraging so far, but maybe once the likes of Skinner and Dahlin can start to click, things can turn around.  Skinner has definitely showed some flashes, minus the finish so far.  I'll never be able to get used to his horrible dives though.  Yeah, it got the team a power play, but I absolutely hate that crap.

The Skinner dive that you alluded to was actually Skinner taking the Ranger play down. Skinner should have been called for the penalty. The Ranger player was infuriated----and he should have been. 

It's obvious that this isn't a prolific scoring team, especially by today's NHL standards. But compared to last year's impotency this roster has the ability to step up. The best that we can hope for is that the scoring will be spread out to compensate for the lack of sharp shooters. 

In the Ranger game Dahlin played like a conservative and mature defenseman playing an efficient game. I'm hoping that once he gets comfortable he will cut loose and play a more creative and adventurous style that he is capable of. 

Do7tKySUwAAXnoh.jpg

cut.jpg

Game Preview: 10/8/18 vs. Vegas

GAME-DAY RESOURCES

Game Notes NHL Stats Press Clips

LAST GAME
Saturday, October 6
NY Rangers 1 at Buffalo 3
Goals: Sheary (2), Eichel
Goalie: Hutton (43 saves/44 shots)
PP: 2/4; PK: 3/3; Shots: NY Rangers 44 – Buffalo 29

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 11)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Zach Bogosian (lower body, Oct. 4) – 2 games
Matt Hunwick (neck, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 2 games
Johan Larsson (lower body, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 2 games
Sean Malone (knee, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 2 games
Scott Wilson (ankle, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 2 games
Vladimir Sobotka (upper body, Oct. 6) – 1 game

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
10/2: Claimed F Remi Elie off waivers from Dallas; Placed F Johan Larsson, F Sean Malone, F Scott Wilson and D Matt Hunwick on IR

UPCOMING GAMES
Thursday, Oct. 11: Colorado at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 13: Buffalo at Arizona, 9 p.m.
Tuesday, Oct. 16: Buffalo at Vegas, 10 p.m.
Thursday, Oct. 18: Buffalo at San Jose, 10:30 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 20: Buffalo at Los Angeles, 3:30 p.m.

TODAY’S GAME
GOLDEN KNIGHTS at SABRES
  • This is the first of two meetings between the Sabres and Golden Knights this season.
  • Next meeting: Tuesday, Oct. 16 in Vegas
  • Last meeting: Vegas defeated Buffalo 2-1 (OT) in Buffalo on March 10
  • This is the fourth game all-time between Buffalo and Vegas; Buffalo has a 0-0-2 series record.
  • The Sabres are 0-0-1 at home against the Golden Knights all-time.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

The Skinner dive that you alluded to was actually Skinner taking the Ranger play down. Skinner should have been called for the penalty. The Ranger player was infuriated----and he should have been.

I call it the Gerbe special (he did it all the time in college).  He grabbed the defender's hand and immediately fell, making it look the he (Skinner) was the one who was pulled down.  I'm amazed that he can draw that kind of call even after doing it for so long already in the NHL.

Perry's turns 100, how about that... one of my favorite treats as a kid and still is, whenever I get to come back to the Buff one of the first things I do is get a cone somewhere's.

I lucked out today... have the day off and most if not all chores/errands are done so I get to watch a matinee game, rare event here lol.

Hope Jack doesn't dick around with the puck today... ?