[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

20 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I was hopeful Steve Smith would be a big addition to the Sabres staff, and so far he looks to be working out pretty nicely. Our PK is much better this year under him. 

Im glad they kept Chris Hajt around (in a more fitting role). Always liked his dad and think Chris could have potential (looking at his success as a coach in the AHL and juniors). But I think he was probably in over his head last year.  

20 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Practice Update (11/26): DeBoer (7:30)
Coach Peter DeBoer answers questions from the media following practice on November 26, 2018

Practice Update (11/26): Kane (6:19)
Forward Evander Kane answers questions from the media following practice on November 26, 2018

I feel bad for Elie that it looks like he’s the odd man out again. Poor guy has only played in 1 game in forever (and a few games all year). I thought he played well enough last game to earn a spot for Tuesday. He was noticeable out there on many shifts and (IMO) made a positive impact on the game. 

Edited by BillsFan4

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What a difference a year makes for the red-hot Buffalo Sabres.

Last year after their first 24 games of the season, the Sabres were 6-14-4 and the worst-ranked team in TSN's weekly 7-Eleven Power Rankings. Buffalo went on to finish dead last in the overall NHL standings in 2017-18 with just 25 wins and 62 points.

Twenty-four games into the 2018-19 season, the Sabres look like a legitimate playoff contender. They’re 16-6-2 and on a nine-game winning streak – one off their franchise record set in 1983-84 and matched again in 2006-07 – to move up four spots to No. 1 this week in our 7-Eleven Power Rankings, according to consensus rankings formulated by the TSN Power Ranking panel of Ray Ferraro, Jeff O’Neill, Jamie McLennan, Craig Button and Darren Dreger.

The Sabres, ranked No. 24 in our second Power Rankings of the season, could turn out to be this season’s version of the 2017-18 Colorado Avalanche. The Avs finished dead last in 2016-17 and then made the playoffs last year. The Sabres also look like a team that’s on track to reach the postseason (for the first time in eight seasons) after finishing dead last the previous season. They’re getting first-rate goaltending from Carter Hutton (11-6-1, .919 save percentage) and Linus Ullmark (5-0-1, .926 SV%) while the additions of No. 1 draft pick Rasmus Dahlin and former Carolina Hurricane Jeff Skinner (also a former No. 1 pick and Calder Trophy winner) have complemented captain Jack Eichel, who leads the team in scoring with 28 points.

That had to hurt the people from canuckistan.

11-26: HOUSLEY: After Practice (8:57)
Phil Housley discusses the Sabres' winning streak and their upcoming game against San Jose.

Game Preview: 11/27/18 vs. San Jose

LAST GAME
Saturday, November 24
Buffalo 3 at Detroit 2 (SO)
Goals: Skinner, Thompson; GDG-Reinhart
Goalie: Ullmark (35 saves/37 shots)
PP: 2/4; PK: 4/4; Shots: Detroit 37 – Buffalo 35

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 81)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed

Matt Hunwick (neck, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 24 games
Scott Wilson (ankle, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 24 games
Patrik Berglund (upper body, Oct. 21; injured reserve) – 3 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
11/21: Recalled D Lawrence Pilut from Rochester (AHL); Placed F Patrik Berglund on IR
11/23: Assigned D Lawrence Pilut to Rochester (AHL)

UPCOMING GAMES
Thursday, Nov. 29: Buffalo at Tampa Bay, 7:30 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 30: Buffalo at Florida, 7 p.m.
Monday, Dec. 3: Buffalo at Nashville, 8 p.m.
Tuesday, Dec. 4: Toronto at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 8: Philadelphia at Buffalo, 1 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
SHARKS at SABRES
  • This is the second and final meeting between the Sabres and Sharks this season.
  • Last meeting: San Jose defeated Buffalo 5-1 in San Jose on Oct. 18
  • The Sabres are 5-4-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Sharks; 7-2-1 at home
  • This is the 41st game all-time between Buffalo and San Jose; Buffalo has a 24-10-6 series record.
  • The Sabres are 17-2-1 at home against the Sharks all-time.

13 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Tank you very much.   

I haven't seen Strome play very much so I'm not in position to comment about his prospects. But you can make the contrast between him and Nylander. It was good that the Sabres at first gave Nylander a taste of NHL play so that he had an understanding of the quality of play that existed in the league. But it was evident to him and the club that he wasn't ready. So he was sent to the AHL to develop. He played well in training camp and from what I understand is doing well in Rochester. He is working on his game so that when he does get the call-up he will be ready. 

Tage Thompson is in somewhat of a similar situation. Although he was with the club he didn't get much playing time. But that didn't mean that he was going to languish as a player. The coaching staff worked specifically worked with him in practice and after practice. He put in the effort and when he got an opportunity to play he was ready. 

The advantage of young players being sent to the minors is that they get plenty of playing time instead of getting limited, intermittent playing time with the big club. My point is that this franchise has enough talent in Buffalo so that they don't have to scramble for players and prematurely bring up a player who isn't ready. The franchise has been stabilized and the pipeline is working the way it is supposed to work. This is what happens when you have a good GM who has a clear vision on how to run an organization. 

• Like (+1) 1

PSE to Begin Comprehensive Study of New Era Field

l1bjoe11cwazeqv0zz2z.jpg

Pegula Sports & Entertainment has hired CAA ICON to assist its efforts in determining the next steps for the Buffalo Bills stadium needs and for potential renovations of KeyBank Center, the home of the Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Bandits. CAA ICON will conduct a privately-funded study to help identify the best options for ownership, fans and the community. The study will include direct feedback from Bills and Sabres fans.

“The number one priority for this study is the fan experience,” said PSE President & CEO Kim Pegula. “CAA ICON has an extensive resume, having participated in dozens of first-class professional facilities, along with Harborcenter and Penn State’s Pegula Ice Arena. We have the utmost confidence that CAA ICON’s unparalleled experience will help ensure that our venues achieve the highest standards.”

“As both New Era Field and KeyBank Center have aged, they have fallen behind modern standards,” said Bruce Popko, PSE’s Chief Operating Officer. “Terry and Kim Pegula have invested more than $2 billion of their own money in our market, including $350 million in privately-financed venue upgrades and expansions. With both leases nearing expiration, we look forward to developing a plan and working with our public sector partners to solidify the futures of the Bills and Sabres.”

Not liking the Sharks play so far this season. Defensively lazy. Vlassic has been average at best and that's probably a stretch.  Inconsistent play meaning they have rarely if at all, played a full 60 minutes. The last game against Vegas was pathetic. You would think they would have been motivated for that one. Perhaps the worst example of what I'm talking about is the lackluster performance against the Oilers. A one-line team that has virtually nothing after McDavid. They played down to the competition only stepping their game up a little when behind. 

They may bounce back tonight after playing terribly I don't know. Sometimes they get their shite together on road trips. 

Anyway, I get the feeling the Sharks are a veteran team that doesn't truly get interested until playoffs loom. That's the only reason I can figure for the indifference right now. 

Sabres are hot and should be favored tonight.

#Sabres head coach Phil Housley joins Howard and Jeremy next for his weekly visit on WGR! Tune in:

Housley - I have to give credit to our guys for this winning streak. They found the energy, especially on the back-to-back games. #Sabres

Housley - the teams we were playing are tough teams to play, tough buildings to play in. Our guys settled in a little bit, our goaltending has been strong for us. The guys have been focused. #Sabres

Housley on Thompson - He earned a spot on our team; didn't get the start he wanted and took a step back, but it wasn't a bad thing for him. He made the most of his opportunity when he got back. He uses his instincts and his skill, and we can see the type of player he is. #Sabres

Housley - His release comes right off his stick fast. He has an incredible shot, it's always been deadly.Just glad he;s using his speed wide and using his strength. Hope he can continue to use it more often. #Sabres

Housley on Kyle Okposo - He's a power forward. he gets in the corners and gets guys on his back. He's a dog on a bone and not letting guys off the hook. He's been one of our leaders to come forward and lead by example. #Sabres

Housley - I'm really happy for our fans. Last year was a tough year, and the guys made it a point to get off to good starts and get the fans into it. The players feed off the fans, and it's great they come out to support us. #Sabres

Housley on Carter Hutton - He's been terrific. I knew what he was all about while I was with him in Nashville. He's made some huge saves for us, both of our goalies have. Carter has spring-boarded off the start of his season and has helped us win some games.  #Sabres

Projected Lineup
53 Jeff Skinner - 9 Jack Eichel - 23 Sam Reinhart
72 Tage Thompson - 37 Casey Mittelstadt - 21 Kyle Okposo
17 Vladimir Sobotka - 71 Evan Rodrigues - 29 Jason Pominville
81 Remi Elie - 22 Johan Larsson - 28 Zemgus Girgensons

40 Carter Hutton 
35 Linus Ullmark

41 minutes ago, Dante said:

"Since we last faced the Sharks, we've gone 13-2-2."

See it's nothing but good mojo when we beat you! We will do you that favor again tonight! No thanks needed. :thumbsup:

Naw, the Sabres will beat your team and hopefully the Sharks go on a 13-2-2 run of their own.

Glad to see Elie back in the lineup. Thought he earned it last game. Sucks that Sheary isn’t playing though. 

Wonder why they called up Pilut again? 

Precaution with Bogo? (but he looks to be playing...) 

i hope he can get into a game this time but I’m not holding my breath. 

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Glad to see Elie back in the lineup. Thought he earned it last game. Sucks that Sheary isn’t playing though. 

I surmise that is because he is the leading scorer and looks like he has bright future in NHL

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah, I’ll miss Sheary’s speed and grit. Next guy up as the saying goes. 

Perhaps Pilut is up because Scandella sucks a$$? :ph34r:

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I surmise that is because he is the leading scorer and looks like he has bright future in NHL

Oh, I totally get why he earned the call-up. I just wondered why the Sabres needed to call him up. Bogo was the only d-man I knew of that was potentially injured and they had already announced that he would be playing. 

But, They hadn't announced that Scandella would be missing the game tonight at the time of my post.