The Bills did not "luck" into the playoffs

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think most people acknowledge that as the flukiest play in NFL history. 

I don't agree with that.  Pass protection, Manning's escape, and Tyree securing the ball were all terrific efforts that made the play.

6 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I don't agree with that.  Pass protection, Manning's escape, and Tyree securing the ball were all terrific efforts that made the play.

I agree with you, most notably the strength that Tyree demonstrated to keep Harrison from knocking the ball away was no fluke, endless hours of lifting weights.

45 minutes ago, JPP said:

We were lucky that Dalton threw that pass in the dying minutes of the baltimore game...thats all it came down to...luck....now that we are rebuilding and improvements are happening hopefully we continue to get in without being dependent on the outcome of another team(s)......

I don't see what Luck had to do with last season, he didn't play a single game he was on IR.

• Haha (+1) 1

Yes, they did.  The AFC was trash and they needed a miracle from Andy Dalton.  They had a negative point differential.  They were a bottom 10 team on offense and defense.  This wasn’t close to the best team of the drought.  They got completely lucky.

that said, it just goes to show how amazing the 17 year drought.  The Bills were an average to slightly below average team most of the drought.  It’s kinda amazing they weren’t able to luck into a playoff berth in 17 years.  Kinda insane.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Well, there is always a little luck involved.

People who say it was all luck are wrong. People who say there was no luck are wrong.

Sometimes the ball bounces your way, sometimes not.

I'm happy they made it and I am proud of that team who overachieved and at times looked good. Ultimately I know the team is not that great, but is trending upwards. I have some confidence in the coaches and GM, and I think the team has some important pieces in place. Just needs more experience, needs to fill a few more holes, and needs Josh Allen to pan out.

When the Bills win, it's luck. When other teams win, it's because they're better. 

• Like (+1) 1

I already addressed the Ravens/Bengals game in the OP.  To be honest, Cincy held the lead for most of that game and almost blew it at the end.  It could be argued that had Baltimore won, they would have been lucky to make it in.  Buffalo could have beaten Carolina had that last pass connected.  It should have, and almost did...but didn't.  Are Carolina fans saying the Panthers were lucky to make the playoffs because of that play?

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Oh come one..  Manning was nearly sacked 3 times... one had him by the jersey and couldn't get him down and he just heaved it down field and a bloke made a catch he would never make again in a million years. It is the single luckiest play in sport in my opinion. 

I was happy that is stopped the Patriots unbeaten season but it was about 5% skill and 95% luck.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

no, but the bengals sure got lucky beating the ravens, no?

had that not happened, this thread would never exist.

...GOOD call bud.....sure as hell they fought, persevered and grinded away to put themselves potentially in a playoff position.....and FINALLY "Lady Luck" delivered wearing a Dalton mask.....was she around in 2004 when all Moo's club had to do was beat the 3rd string Steelers to get in at 10-6?.....nope, turned a blind eye.....was Lady Luck around with Aaron Rodgers' Hail Mary TD passes?....naw, it was ALL Aaron.....how about Flutie's BC Hail Mary?......had to be Divine Intervention.....so we got a "break" or "luck" depending upon your adjectival preference and sure as hell is nothing wrong with it IMO.....

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Oh come one..  Manning was nearly sacked 3 times... one had him by the jersey and couldn't get him down and he just heaved it down field and a bloke made a catch he would never make again in a million years. It is the single luckiest play in sport in my opinion. 

I was happy that is stopped the Patriots unbeaten season but it was about 5% skill and 95% luck.

They made a great play.  Bills wouldn't convert that long pass in the snow against Indy again in a milion years either, but you can't take away that they did it the one time it mattered.

Now if you want to talk about Franco Harris and the Imaculate Reception, I'll agree that was dumb luck.