Incognito's Retirement? [update: Now Released]

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3439819

Hes been a bad guy much more than he’s been a good guy.  

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3439819

Hes been a bad guy much more than he’s been a good guy.  

4.5 yr old article. What issues has he had recently?

Just now, Sky Diver said:

4.5 yr old article. What issues has he had recently?

A mental breakdown on twitter because of a contract he willingly signed and lied about health issues to get out of it.  He also said “something” to a Jags player.  

This is who he is.  He pretended for a couple of years here.

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

A mental breakdown on twitter because of a contract he willingly signed and lied about health issues to get out of it.  He also said “something” to a Jags player.  

Curious on what has you so passionate about this.  

I've been enjoying the back and forth by all...

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Never met him so I have no idea. I do know that he was our best lineman last year so I don't get making him a low ball offer. Shady wanted him back badly.

Edited by Sky Diver

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

Jason Peters is near the end of his career and without question the Eagles are prepared for his nonparticipation. That's what well run organizations do.

I disagree with you that Peters has no chance of getting into the HOF. Will he? I can't say  for sure but what I can so for sure is that he will be seriously considered. You may not be aware of it but he has had a long and distinguished career with the SB Champs and has over an extended period of time been a perennial all-pro. 

Good LT.  but no HOF.  I disagree.  Mainly it's my bias against the real value of a single O-lineman.  And Pro Bowls are nice but worthless for this purpose.

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Good LT.  but no HOF.  I disagree.  Mainly it's my bias against the real value of a single O-lineman.  And Pro Bowls are nice but worthless for this purpose.

More than good, elite. Not sure about the HOF though. Maybe.

12 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Curious on what has you so passionate about this.  

I've been enjoying the back and forth by all...

I just think it’s funny that people are defending him and acting like he’s some good guy.  He basically just said f you to the Bills.  Even without the Martin incident, this was a shaky guy.  We did him a huge favor and he basically screwed us over.  I wish him the worst as a football player.

16 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Never met him so I have no idea. I do know that he was our best lineman last year so I don't get making him a low ball offer. Shady wanted him back badly.

HE DIDNT HAVE TO AGREE TO IT!

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Logic said:

I can't see how this is so hard for people to understand.

Beane and McDermott value chemistry and culture above all else. They have shown that they will not hesitate to get rid of ANYONE who they don't think will positively contribute to the chemistry and culture of the locker room.

Richie Incognito, with his erratic behavior, sudden instability, and the drama that his "I'm retired, no I'm not, I want my release, can I come back?" routine was creating, became a threat to the chemistry and culture that Beane and McDermott wanted to build. They thus decided that the best move was to get rid of him, even if it meant "giving him what he wants" and losing some bonus money. People thinking we were going to get a trade asset in return for a 34-year-old guard who has recently displayed erratic behavior are dreaming. I believe that Beane assessed that the tiny silver of potential of getting a 2019 7th round pick in exchange for this guy was not worth the headaches he was beginning to create. 

As to the notion of holding on to Incognito's rights so that his only options are retire or play for the Bills. Why? It was one thing with Boldin, who agreed to play for the Bills, then 10 days into camp retired, then asked if he could be let out of his contract. Beane felt burned by Boldin's failure to honor his commitment and reacted accordingly. With Richie, he had three good years with the Bills and was a key part of their playoff season. Why hold him hostage? Especially given the aforementioned headaches he is creating.

Sometimes, addition by subtraction is necessary to maintain intangible qualities like chemistry and culture. I believe this is one of those cases.

Exactly 100%. Incognito was at the end of his career and was no longer willing to play along with the new team culture. So we say goodbye to someone that the Bills resurrected. Great contribution for three years. Now we move on with the young players already on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I just think it’s funny that people are defending him and acting like he’s some good guy.  He basically just said f you to the Bills.  Even without the Martin incident, this was a shaky guy.  We did him a huge favor and he basically screwed us over.  I wish him the worst as a football player.

At this point I dont even agree that he was out best linemen.

Dawkins was in my opinion.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I have zero doubts that Beane tried to trade him but found no takers. 

Which cuts to the “what’s his value” question

a lot of folks are saying he didn’t deserve the pay cut but we couldn’t get anyone to drop a 7th for his reduced contract with signing bonus already paid?

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Which cuts to the “what’s his value” question

a lot of folks are saying he didn’t deserve the pay cut but we couldn’t get anyone to drop a 7th for his reduced contract with signing bonus already paid?

He's got one year left and might have been looking for a decent-sized long-term deal with a  new team.  I don't know.  It will be interesting to see where, if anywhere, he ends up, and for how much.

18 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

From a handful I think it’s less about football and more so identity politics. If ritchie is a schmuck and relic of the past - we have a few posters that aren’t far removed from that status. Have to keep him a viable person or it’s a slippery slope to not being viable themselves. 

Dude agreed to reduced pay and no one wants to trade for him... seems the bills pay cut was pretty fair. Ritchie’s pay will never match his skill because he comes with mountains of baggage. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, JackKemp said:

Exactly 100%. Incognito was at the end of his career and was no longer willing to play along with the new team culture. So we say goodbye to someone that the Bills resurrected. Great contribution for three years. Now we move on with the young players already on the roster.

Agree as well with the exception that they paid him a signing bonus that he doesn’t have to pay back. I can’t see Pegula or the team being happy have paid a player over $1 million only to cut the guy. That’s no way to run a business, and Pegula is a darn good business man. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Lfod said:

People are taking it hard. I feel sorry for them. They do not understand the new culture yet. They are not used to being winners yet. They are stuck back in the drought mentality of holding on to things that make them think the team is a little better when it wasn't. 

This post needs pinned. It pertains to so much of hanging onto things like “we were the top rushing team” “we had highlight plays” “we broke the sack record” and my personal favorite... “top 10 in scoring” — none of it meant a thing because the team didn’t win enough games with what was in place. They were just something positive to cling to in absence of wins. Good teams don’t care about that stuff if it results in less than playoff progress.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Am I missing something? I only saw one reference to a possible drunken rampage, and it was secondhand  from a freaking OBD security guard. That's approaching cab-driver-for-Seifert level. The person who posted it may well be credible, but he has only 90 posts so I'm not buying - yet. KtD, who I trust, made an oblique comment hinting at ... something, but said nothing specific. 

There's enough in here and from what I heard make me believe it's true.  It's also not in the Pegula's history to just dump a player if there's a chance at rehabbing him.

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

So let’s say Hughes wants out. He goes on a 4 day twitter bender and drunk dials the pegulas- that gets him out of his contract?

i only mentioned the pats because you did

He did because I did. But you got my original point. Player B just wants out for any reason. Forget age. Forget a specific other team. He just throws a fake tantrum and “because he’s a detriment to the team” the Bills just release him. It’s a bad precedent. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He did because I did. But you got my original point. Player B just wants out for any reason. Forget age. Forget a specific other team. He just throws a fake tantrum and “because he’s a detriment to the team” the Bills just release him. It’s a bad precedent. 

Good luck getting the 3.6 million back after the repeated strange behavior.

6 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Nobody forced him to take a pay cut.

didn't he fire his agent? Must have sold him a bill of goods.

6 hours ago, NoSaint said:

So you’re cool with it at what age cutoff? 

And whats the mechanism for blocking the pats signing? Do we make them pinky swear prior to release?

I hope we win the super bowl. But my loyalty tends to be towards the team ... not so much the meatheads of the league. 

I hope we win too but I'm not optimistic about the Super Bowl  this year (maybe next year tho :thumbsup: )

13 minutes ago, GG said:

There's enough in here and from what I heard make me believe it's true.  It's also not in the Pegula's history to just dump a player if there's a chance at rehabbing him.

I now believe you based on other things I've heard.