Summer Concert Roll Call

billsfanmiami(oh)

Chicago / REO Speedwagon tonight

Bought lawn seats for $18/per this morning.  Checked the LNExperience.com upgrade several times in the day and saw it would let me do so for $30 to get feature upgrade.

So, for $48/seat I got a seat valued at $259/per; 3rd row stage left.

Willie & Avett Bros., & Old Crow Medicine Show $180

30 seconds to Mars was amazing 18th row $40

David Allan Coe Get eral Admission two weeks ago $40

Diamond Rio front row last Saturday $80

Erasure general admission Wednesday $60

REO Speedwagon & Chicago tonight $96

Weezer & the Pixies next week front 10 rows $80

Marilyn Mason in 2 weeks $90

Enjoy your cover bands.  I'll enjoy the real thing.

5 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Chicago / REO Speedwagon tonight

Bought lawn seats for $18/per this morning.  Checked the LNExperience.com upgrade several times in the day and saw it would let me do so for $30 to get feature upgrade.

So, for $48/seat I got a seat valued at $259/per; 3rd row stage left.

Willie & Avett Bros., & Old Crow Medicine Show $180

30 seconds to Mars was amazing 18th row $40

David Allan Coe Get eral Admission two weeks ago $40

Diamond Rio front row last Saturday $80

Erasure general admission Wednesday $60

REO Speedwagon & Chicago tonight $96

Weezer & the Pixies next week front 10 rows $80

Marilyn Mason in 2 weeks $90

Enjoy your cover bands.  I'll enjoy the real thing.

Kudos on the ticket pricing, hope the shows are great.

But calling whatever passes for Chicago these days as the real thing doesn't fly with me.

2 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

But calling whatever passes for Chicago these days as the real thing doesn't fly with me.

A college buddy saw Yes about a week ago. Only one original guy, but he loved the show. I guess the music touches a chord, and it’s hard to tell the difference. The music transcends in most cases. 

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

A college buddy saw Yes about a week ago. Only one original guy, but he loved the show. I guess the music touches a chord, and it’s hard to tell the difference. The music transcends in most cases. 

100%.

But IMO the Chicago/Yes scenarios are glorified cover bands and cover bands were being called out.

In the past year there was a real cool night locally when a Billy Joel tribute band was joined on stage by Billy Joel. Billy Joel is a local and I think some of the tribute band had played with him...but nobody who bought a ticket expected an appearance from the Piano Man that night. Very cool despite the fact I have little interest in Billy Joel's music.

On 7/15/2018 at 9:22 PM, SinceThe70s said:

My girlfriend and I should have left after REO.  Their set list for their tour:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/chicago/2018/pnc-music-pavilion-charlotte-nc-63eb9af7.html

There are 4 remaining members from the original band and their energy was good but the mix was ****, the energy was more a cover band, and the audience sat for almost the entire show.

Aftee the rain delay we went right up to the stage and got to interact with the artists.  Couples beside us paid over $400 for their tickets.  We paid $96.?? 

Edited by Boyst62

On 7/15/2018 at 11:29 PM, SinceThe70s said:

100%.

But IMO the Chicago/Yes scenarios are glorified cover bands and cover bands were being called out.

In the past year there was a real cool night locally when a Billy Joel tribute band was joined on stage by Billy Joel. Billy Joel is a local and I think some of the tribute band had played with him...but nobody who bought a ticket expected an appearance from the Piano Man that night. Very cool despite the fact I have little interest in Billy Joel's music.

I was reading a story about an elementary school choir that did a Billy Joel tribute. He showed up, sat in the back, and went backstage after the show to congratulate them. Didn't tell them he was  there because he didn't want to make the kids nervous.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/17/2018 at 11:09 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Just saw Japanese Breakfast on as lark Saturday. Great band. Just got tickets for Femi Kuti next week in Portland ME. Then I'm going to Cake/Ben Folds in Boston Aug 13.

Cake/Ben Folds sounds like a phenomenal show.  

The pixies were fun

Weezer was a lot better than expected.

Covered:

A-Ha's take on me

the turtles - happy together

Toto - Africa

And did rifts from a bunch of songs but several Nirvana songs and a little bit of Black Sabbath..

Impressive rock band

• Like (+1) 1

Going to see Queen Extravaganza in October. They're a Queen tribute, but were put together by Brian May and Roger Taylor. August 9th going to a concert of a Pink Floyd tribute playing The Wall in it's entirety. Keifer Sutherland band is putting on a free concert. No idea if they're any good, but I love 24 and the price is right. "Almost Elton John" in late August. The actual Elton John is coming in December, but barring a miracle, I'm not gonna get tickets since they're like $300 a pop for the nosebleeds.

Charlie Daniels is in town in November, but it's on my wedding day. So if someone in Houston wants to go in my place let me know. Her name is Britt, and she's a lovely gal. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

The pixies were fun

Weezer was a lot better than expected.

Covered:

A-Ha's take on me

the turtles - happy together

Toto - Africa

And did rifts from a bunch of songs but several Nirvana songs and a little bit of Black Sabbath..

Impressive rock band

Going to see the Pixies and Weezer in about 10 days. Frank Black(Pixies' Black Francis) lived down the street from me in Eugene where he met his wife Violet. 

Just got back from 3 nights of Phish at the Gorge Amphitheater in George, WA. Great shows and a great time had.

28 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Going to see the Pixies and Weezer in about 10 days. Frank Black(Pixies' Black Francis) lived down the street from me in Eugene where he met his wife Violet. 

Just got back from 3 nights of Phish at the Gorge Amphitheater in George, WA. Great shows and a great time had.

Go to LNExperience.com and upgrade to the pit area or up front if you can. He does the B set in the middle of the crowd where ever he is, which has been a-ha's take on me.

Great concert. Enjoy it.  I had no and still have no idea who the pixies are.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Go to LNExperience.com and upgrade to the pit area or up front if you can. He does the B set in the middle of the crowd where ever he is, which has been a-ha's take on me.

I managed a restaurant in Park City for a few years around 15 years ago and the owner/chef was a musician who's band opened up for Cake, the Flaming Lips, the Pixies etc., first time I had heard of any of those bands. I only remember a few Pixie songs and have never seen them or Weezer, should be fun.

52 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

22 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Saw/heard the show last week.

Had heard of the Pixies, didn't know them, listened from the parking lot, mistake.  Sounded great, maybe better than Weezer.  

Weezer were (was?) good, but would have been better closer or in a smaller venue. For the record the only time I liked/tolerated that a-ha song was in Family Guy :)

Boyst62 - thanks for the Inexperience tip. Didn't work for me this time, hopefully next! 

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Saw/heard the show last week.

Had heard of the Pixies, didn't know them, listened from the parking lot, mistake.  Sounded great, maybe better than Weezer.  

Weezer were (was?) good, but would have been better closer or in a smaller venue. For the record the only time I liked/tolerated that a-ha song was in Family Guy :)

Boyst62 - thanks for the Inexperience tip. Didn't work for me this time, hopefully next! 

I have a rule of thumb for concerts. I won't go unless I'm close enough to throw a baseball, and accurately do so, at the performer.  Otherwise I won't go.

I get upgrades and such for cheap.  This was my most expensive concert this year.

Carolina rebellion, merlfest, and outlaw music festival were oeicy though.  Dropped a g on them in all.

First night of the second leg of the final Slayer tour was outstanding in Gilford, NH last night - never been there but it was pretty nice and completely packed. Played very similar to the show I caught on the first leg at Mohegan Sun but Anthrax came out playing Cowboys From Hell as a tribute to Vinnie Paul (the tour was on a break when he passed).

No Chris Adler on the drum kit for Lamb of God - drums were good but not as tight as normal and when I looked at the drummer it definitely wasn't Adler - seems he'll miss all 20 shows on the second leg due to "unforeseen circumstances" - hope he's OK.

Damn shame Slayer is hanging it up - they've been playing great this tour and Gary Holt really seems to have finally fit in tight with the band - Gary Holt and Keery King on guitars is sick and Tom looks 20 years younger this tour - lost weight and shaved his beard down...guess they will go out on top in a blaze or glory (oh, the pyro they have this tour!).

Saw Smashing Pumpkins tonight. They played over 30 songs, 3+ hours long after an opener. Was a pretty good time. I got selected to be moved from the upper bowl to the lower bowl, which has never happened to me before.

Probably will be seeing a Radiohead double header on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Edited by Fetou

Saw Zach Brown and OneRepublic on Friday in DC. Going in, thought i knew about 2 OneRepublic songs and zero ZBB songs. Turns out I knew about 10 OneRepublic and about 4 or 5 ZBB. BUt ZBB always played a ton of great covers...very entertaining show. Was a bit cranky going in...but very happy I ended up going.

14 hours ago, Fetou said:

Saw Smashing Pumpkins tonight. They played over 30 songs, 3+ hours long after an opener. Was a pretty good time. I got selected to be moved from the upper bowl to the lower bowl, which has never happened to me before.

Probably will be seeing a Radiohead double header on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Seeing them in Toronto next week

On 7/26/2018 at 11:37 PM, Boyst62 said:

I have a rule of thumb for concerts. I won't go unless I'm close enough to throw a baseball, and accurately do so, at the performer.  Otherwise I won't go.

I get upgrades and such for cheap.  This was my most expensive concert this year.

Carolina rebellion, merlfest, and outlaw music festival were oeicy though.  Dropped a g on them in all.

I am seeing the outlaw music festival in Saratoga in September. Tickets were pricey as heck, but I want to see Willie Nelson and am a fan of Sturgill Simpson and Nathaniel Rateliff.

I am curious, did they play when you saw it, and if so how were they? Also wondering if Sturgill had the brass with him or not.

I don't mind sitting on the lawn sometimes (breaks the baseball rule), but when it's a show I care about I get good seats. Still waiting for a decent deal on Metallica in October.

9 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

I am seeing the outlaw music festival in Saratoga in September. Tickets were pricey as heck, but I want to see Willie Nelson and am a fan of Sturgill Simpson and Nathaniel Rateliff.

I am curious, did they play when you saw it, and if so how were they? Also wondering if Sturgill had the brass with him or not.

I don't mind sitting on the lawn sometimes (breaks the baseball rule), but when it's a show I care about I get good seats. Still waiting for a decent deal on Metallica in October.

Buy cheap ass lawn seats for outlaw.   At about 11am start going to LNExperience and find seat upgrade for your venue.  You'll likely be able to upgrade up front.  Refresh the screen while doing this as it takes the 7th or 8th try for it to give you the good seats.   I don't know why, but it always does, and when it does it sends you to to the top 5 or 6 rows vs. about 20 rows off stage.   For $20-30 per upgrade you make out well.  And for going to the pit, upgrade one seat and then use send the screen shot to your friend and have them use it separately.

Sturgill is not at all my type of music, I listened to this music afterwards hoping he sounded better when recorded vs. live. He did, but not much. He sounded like Kris Kristofferson x a drunk Hank Williams Jr. With downe syndrome and a speech impediment.  He covered When In Rome's the promise and ruined a very fun 80's song.  I won't forgive him.

Rateliff wasn't with him.  This show was the one where Willie walked off and had to come back.  The first go round was Old Crow Medicine Show and Sturgill. OCMS was fun, good.

The second time was Jamey Johnson (better than Sturgill by miles but not amazing, all 3are like that lame Chris Stapleton dude). And Avett Bros. Since they live about 20 minutes away, and they were good.

Willie isn't great, you're not going to see the Willie you hear on the radio.  You're hearing an 85 yr old man and his 86 yr old sister with a mix of others that are well past 60 and still better than anyone else touring due to the legacy.  They're both better than the aforementioned Kris Kristofferson who has a weak voice and quite haggard.

@The Real Buffalo Joe saw the show in Dallas. He may can chime in

When they were in Raleigh is when they'd have been good. Elvis Costello and Allison Kraus were the opening acts.  Charlotte had a **** card; 3 acts backed out including Brandi Carlisle.

2 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Buy cheap ass lawn seats for outlaw.   At about 11am start going to LNExperience and find seat upgrade for your venue.  You'll likely be able to upgrade up front.  Refresh the screen while doing this as it takes the 7th or 8th try for it to give you the good seats.   I don't know why, but it always does, and when it does it sends you to to the top 5 or 6 rows vs. about 20 rows off stage.   For $20-30 per upgrade you make out well.  And for going to the pit, upgrade one seat and then use send the screen shot to your friend and have them use it separately.

Sturgill is not at all my type of music, I listened to this music afterwards hoping he sounded better when recorded vs. live. He did, but not much. He sounded like Kris Kristofferson x a drunk Hank Williams Jr. With downe syndrome and a speech impediment.  He covered When In Rome's the promise and ruined a very fun 80's song.  I won't forgive him.

Rateliff wasn't with him.  This show was the one where Willie walked off and had to come back.  The first go round was Old Crow Medicine Show and Sturgill. OCMS was fun, good.

The second time was Jamey Johnson (better than Sturgill by miles but not amazing, all 3are like that lame Chris Stapleton dude). And Avett Bros. Since they live about 20 minutes away, and they were good.

Willie isn't great, you're not going to see the Willie you hear on the radio.  You're hearing an 85 yr old man and his 86 yr old sister with a mix of others that are well past 60 and still better than anyone else touring due to the legacy.  They're both better than the aforementioned Kris Kristofferson who has a weak voice and quite haggard.

@The Real Buffalo Joe saw the show in Dallas. He may can chime in

When they were in Raleigh is when they'd have been good. Elvis Costello and Allison Kraus were the opening acts.  Charlotte had a **** card; 3 acts backed out including Brandi Carlisle.

Thanks for the info.

Sturgill has taken a step back since going national. His first two albums are much closer to tradtional- or really more neo-traditional country, and I really enjoy them. Doubt he plays much old stuff though since the new album made him popular.

I am excited to see Rateliff, but will openly admit I would rather see OCMS or Jamey Johnson given the chance. JJ to me represents the best of this new age pop country. Never seen OCMS but see great bluegrass at Pickin' in the Pasture in Lodi every year. Good stuff.

I will try the LNExperience for sure... I already bought lawn seats since the venue is so expensive. Sitting in one of the front sectiins is going for $400+ right now, so I do hope your tip works. Thanks!

Also, not expecting a great Wille show, but I want to see him just to have seen him. I was too young when Waylon and Cash died, and never got a chance to see Merle, but I am determined to see Willie, Hank Jr. and Charlie Daniels before they all die; even though all of them are a shell of their former selves. I missed out on Michael Jackson (had tix to the This is it tour), saw (the most terrible) Bob Dylan show, and will see Metallica in October at Keybank Arena. This year I'm trying to see everybody I can.

2 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

Thanks for the info.

Sturgill has taken a step back since going national. His first two albums are much closer to tradtional- or really more neo-traditional country, and I really enjoy them. Doubt he plays much old stuff though since the new album made him popular.

I am excited to see Rateliff, but will openly admit I would rather see OCMS or Jamey Johnson given the chance. JJ to me represents the best of this new age pop country. Never seen OCMS but see great bluegrass at Pickin' in the Pasture in Lodi every year. Good stuff.

I will try the LNExperience for sure... I already bought lawn seats since the venue is so expensive. Sitting in one of the front sectiins is going for $400+ right now, so I do hope your tip works. Thanks!

Also, not expecting a great Wille show, but I want to see him just to have seen him. I was too young when Waylon and Cash died, and never got a chance to see Merle, but I am determined to see Willie, Hank Jr. and Charlie Daniels before they all die; even though all of them are a shell of their former selves. I missed out on Michael Jackson (had tix to the This is it tour), saw (the most terrible) Bob Dylan show, and will see Metallica in October at Keybank Arena. This year I'm trying to see everybody I can.

I had $12 lawn seats.  I normally wait until the day of to get them.  For reo and chicago I actually got the upgrade before the tickets.   The upgrade 1230 the day of the concert and the tickets 30 minute before show started.  Same tickets face value was $279. StubHub a week before still had them over 500. Day of $160 then they sold.

I paid $46 per ticket with the method and fees.  

Seeing David Allan Coe was rough, dudes in bad shape.  I'll see Charlie Daniels soon, he tours a lot here.

2 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

Thanks for the info.

@Boyst62 is right. Willie can't sing anymore. He literally just speaks the lyrics, but plays guitar as well as he ever did. He didn't play "Always on my Mind" "On the Road Again" or "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain."  Relied a lot on the "now you sing it" gimick.  But the dude's a legend, and I totally understand the bucket list thing. I'm glad I saw him three years ago though. Played for about 2 hours or so, and sounded about as good as he ever did.

Sturgil was good, but like you said, mostly new rock stuff, which I don't hate, but I'm a much bigger fan of his first two albums. Ryan Bingham (not sure if he's on your leg) was someone I've never heard of before but really enjoyed. 

I saw Charlie about 10 years ago. He still sounds good. But left the stage like three times for songs band members wrote, and a drum solo, which wasn't what I payed to see. Also, sings about two or three gospel songs, and didn't play Uneasy Rider. Still a hell of a fiddle player though.

Never Seen Hank Jr, but heard its hit or miss depending how much he's had to drink before the show. 

Also, If you haven't already, check out Cody Jinks. Dude's one of the few good ones left. 

24 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

@Boyst62 is right. Willie can't sing anymore. He literally just speaks the lyrics, but plays guitar as well as he ever did. He didn't play "Always on my Mind" "On the Road Again" or "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain."  Relied a lot on the "now you sing it" gimick.  But the dude's a legend, and I totally understand the bucket list thing. I'm glad I saw him three years ago though. Played for about 2 hours or so, and sounded about as good as he ever did.

Sturgil was good, but like you said, mostly new rock stuff, which I don't hate, but I'm a much bigger fan of his first two albums. Ryan Bingham (not sure if he's on your leg) was someone I've never heard of before but really enjoyed. 

I saw Charlie about 10 years ago. He still sounds good. But left the stage like three times for songs band members wrote, and a drum solo, which wasn't what I payed to see. Also, sings about two or three gospel songs, and didn't play Uneasy Rider. Still a hell of a fiddle player though.

Never Seen Hank Jr, but heard its hit or miss depending how much he's had to drink before the show. 

Also, If you haven't already, check out Cody Jinks. Dude's one of the few good ones left. 

I want to see Hank with somebody, I hear his combo shows are better.

Also I hear Charlie is selective with what he plays, as he no longer agrees with smoking amd drinking and the like. From what I understand he changes some lyrics too, like when he plays "Saddle Tramp".

Jinks is cool. Not in love with him so much as Whitey Morgan or Hellbound Glory (before the new dumpster fire). You are right there are not many good ones left. I must admit as far as new music goes there isn't much anywhere. I like Metallica's new album and am currently addicted to Greta Van Fleet but other than that I'm not into the poppy, well, every damn thing.

Just got back from FloydFest and the band with all the attention was Greta Van Fleet. They only played once but a rockin  set...would call it Led Zep meets GnR. Well organized fest, too. But this was their 18th year putting it on so that helps with getting logistics well defined.

31 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

I want to see Hank with somebody, I hear his combo shows are better.

Also I hear Charlie is selective with what he plays, as he no longer agrees with smoking amd drinking and the like. From what I understand he changes some lyrics too, like when he plays "Saddle Tramp".

Jinks is cool. Not in love with him so much as Whitey Morgan or Hellbound Glory (before the new dumpster fire). You are right there are not many good ones left. I must admit as far as new music goes there isn't much anywhere. I like Metallica's new album and am currently addicted to Greta Van Fleet but other than that I'm not into the poppy, well, every damn thing.

Yeah. In Long Haired Country boy he "Gets up in the morning, and gets down in the afternoon." He also ends with "I don't want much of nothing at all, but I will tell another joke." Song still sounds just fine though. Replaces a few hells with heck, damn for darn/dang, etc. And "In America" when he sings live he sings, "Just go and lay your hand on a [local team] fan." So if you still live in Bills territory, you'll hear it correctly.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

Just got back from My Bloody Valentine at the Fillmore in Philly, my ears are bleeding, it was so freakin' loud. They were giving out earplugs at the door, I just laughed but I should've grabbed some, oh well. Very intense show, they only played about half of Loveless though & I wanted more.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Mr Info said:

Just got back from FloydFest and the band with all the attention was Greta Van Fleet. They only played once but a rockin  set...would call it Led Zep meets GnR. Well organized fest, too. But this was their 18th year putting it on so that helps with getting logistics well defined.

GVF is amazing. Saw them at rebellion. They were not the heaviest rock group there but a great one.

23 hours ago, Mr Info said:

I missed Greta Van Fleet’s set at rock on the range this year but heard they really killed it.

On 7/30/2018 at 11:05 AM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

There are tons of good ones left! That you didn’t know Bingham points to you needing to check out some more. There’s a pretty good group that’s outside the Nashville pop country scene and actually putting out great country/Americana/folk 

10 hours ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

I missed Greta Van Fleet’s set at rock on the range this year but heard they really killed it.

Saw them headline a small club show before their album came out. Great young musicians and only struggled a little filling the set. Problem is they are so dead on zeppelin that they almost seem gimmicky. They need to find themselves a bit more- but have a ton of potential. 

Edited by NoSaint

Saw Kenny Wayne Shepherd with Beth Hart opening on Friday night in Albany.

There will be spoilers, so if you have tickets, then stop reading.

I've listened to limited Beth Hart over the past year, or so.  Was impressed and was looking forward to seeing her.

I did NOT expect her to floor me the way she did.  Unbelievable passion.  Phenomenal voice.  Serious pipes.  The crowd did not want her to leave.  She played a solid 90 minutes, which surprised the crap out of me.  I am a fan.  She is incredible.  It was like watching an episode of "Storytellers."  She explained the origin of the majority of her songs and one of them literally brought me to tears.  She is passionate about her craft and she is truly appreciative of every single person who comes to see her.  Refreshing.

KWS came out with one of his tunes, then quickly went into an SRV cover (House is a Rockin').  For the first four songs, his guitar was barely audible; that was fixed pretty quickly.

I was surprised to see how much he sang.  He has a good voice, but I could tell he wasn't entirely comfortable playing and singing, as he would stop playing during the more difficult changes and his lead singer would back up the guitar parts (admirably).  His singer has a really good voice, but his stage presence sucks.  He sang during the Experience Hendrix show I saw ~5 years ago, in which KWS played and blew me away for the first time.

KWS' guitar playing was incredible.  One of my favorite parts of the show was a song which featured his organist.  He brought the crowd to its feet.  He also had Chris Layton (Double Trouble) on drums, which was SUPER cool.  I had no idea he was playing with KWS.

Based on his guitar playing, alone, I'd see KWS any day of the week and not mind paying for it one bit.

My biggest takeaway was that his originals bore me.  They're not great songs.  The solos are amazing, but other than that, the songs are Zzzzzzzzzzz.  I can never see myself buying one of his studio albums.

I could tell the crowd felt the same, because they (we) got loudest when he played Jimi/SRV covers.  By a long shot.

He ended up playing a solid 90 minutes, ending with an amazing 10-minute version of Voodoo Chile.

I highly recommend seeing this show.  KWS is easily one of the best out there today.  To see him in a venue that holds less than 3,000 was a treat.  And to see Beth Hart open was really the icing on the cake.  

Great show.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.